DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 11/16/22

Unnatural

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

One of the big disappointments of the year for me, though I'm sure others might disagree, was that they didn't lean hard enough into the "Sports Entertainer" thing. In general, past changing some names and synchronized clothing choice, Sports Entertainer was really just another word for being a cheater. I would have loved to see more of the WWE style in their ringwork in some sort of clever parody that they could pass in as somehow kayfabe effective, like the idea that the Worm somehow hit especially hard or provided a certain level of confidence or worked as a mind game that threw people off. Something creative along those lines that could have made for a real contrast with what the BCC was doing.

The only wrestler who really, really seems to be embracing the idea of this currently is Anna Jay, who is wildly down the rabbit hole (no pun intended) of throwing kisses all over the place and posing and shouting out her catch phrase in the middle of matches and making faces and just being totally committed to the idea and the ideal of sports entertainment.

I mean I would have preferred the Bunny too but I do hope she leans hard into all of the shenanigans and amusing goofiness in the middle of an otherwise hard hitting match tonight.

Jericho talked about this on his pod a month or two ago, and went into some pretty specific details acknowledging the ideas around things like doing crazy camera cuts and zooms during their matches, WWE-style commentary, precisely-positioned entrances etc as part of the JAS act. But he was against doing that, because in his view once you overtly acknowledge the parody aspect of it, you become a joke.

I dunno, I definitely would have loved to see them lean in to it more.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I am pretty sure that at one point both @DEANand I had Bunny on our Top 10 Current Female Pro Wrestlers lists at the same time. She's just so naturally hate-able as a heel. But, as long as Tony Storm is mashing her ass into someone's head at max velocity I am happy. Hopefullly Bunny is well and back on TV soon.

Settle down Gordlow-netico!!

+1 Bunny fan here too.

If Starks is out of the tournament then give me Bandido v Archer in the finals. Ethan Page needs another month or two to keep building some main event credibility.

I think Bandido going on a run and facing MJF at WiC would be a perfectly fine main event to close out the year and give MJF a title defence that isn't an automatic rematch or vs a 'Monster of the Week'.

• Like 3

Bunny has such infectious charisma. Especially early Dynamites, she was the best at working the camera with crazed facial expressions and maniacal moments during matches. Then Brit turned heel and took that mantle. I very much miss the Bunny. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I like The Bunny as well. IMO, Anna's best match was the street fight with her and Tay Conti vs. The Bunny and Penelope Ford. 

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

It's such a bummer that 3/4 of that match like immediately got injured and they couldn't really build on their momentum.  Really felt like that was a star turn for Bunny.

I'm another fan of the Bunny. Still one of my favourite AEW matches.

• Like 1

We are starting off HOT!  Jericho and Sammy!  Dragon and Claudio!  Awright!  Everybody is beating on everybody!  Sammy is still a HEAT MACHINE.  Sammy and Jericho do some SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT!  For Matt D!  Sammy and Danielson are fucking SOLID GOLD in the ring together.  Sammy works on the Dragon's eye which is emphasized by Jericho while we are in picture in picture.  Dragon is fun as our babyface in peril.  Sammy is fucking awesome going up big for Claudio, the ultimate Robert Gibson.  Claudio is LAYING IT IN!  Actually, EVERYBODY is laying it in in this match.  This match is fucking great.  Sammy and Dragon are fucking SOLID GOLD!  Sammy is better than Daniel Garcia versus Dragon, because Sammy brings the LEGIT heel HEAT.  Sammy and Claudio are ALSO solid gold in the ring.  GIANT SWING WITH BAT!  Claudio makes Jericho tap to the Scorpion Death Lock!  Sammy Guevara is fucking AWESOME.  It's Anthony Bowen against Shane Swerve Strickland!  Strickland is good beating on Bowens to get the crowd behind Bowens STRUGGLE to escape the EVIL of Swerve!  Bowen goes on offense and this is quite the match that needs the heat of them in a tag match.  Folks are into it, but you need the Lee versus Swerve dynamic to add another element to generate THE HEAT.  Swerve wins with a Dangerous Inverted Thingy!  That was perfectly fine- a sort of Robert Gibson versus Stan Lane match for the modern age.  Samoa Joe ON THE STICK! POWERHOUSE HOBBS!  Many Security guys are beaten on!  WARDLOW HITS A TOPE CON HILO!  That was a fun pull apart!  Britt Baker goes all emotional!  It's Top Flight and AR Fox!  It's the Death Triangle!  Y'now.  When the Lucha Brothers were finishing up for MLW, Fenix put over Air Wolf on the way out.  Air Wolf was, of course, a behooded DARIUS MARTIN!  HISTORY!  They do a Lucha Mirror sequence!  Dante has new nifty things against PENTA~!  AR Fox and PAC wrestled 3 times TEN years ago.  Fox does innovative high spots!  They beat on AR Fox in picture in picture!  I have two lunatic kittens that want to lay on my laptop so I'm having to FIGHT to not be distracted!  `The High Spot Train by Top Flight is really spectacular.  Black Arrow!  Death Triangle wins in a spectacular if kinda disjointed match.  That was fun.  Unbelievably!  The Elite!  Saturday!  It's Ethan Page versus Bandido!  I'm trying to figure out how they fit in all of Ricky Starks matches.  EVEREST LATERAL SUPLEX by Bandido!  Ethan Page continues his ascent up the card as everyone's angry stepfather.  Bandido is making Page look like a million bucks.  ORIHARA MOONSAULT BY BANDIDO!  Bandido REY MISTERIO JRs his way out the Die Hard Kansai!  Love Machine Splash for TWO!  This match is great!  Ethan Page hits a Toprope Body Slam, a Road Warrior Hawk Shoulder Block and Ego's Edge for the win!  Three Moves of Doom!  That was great.  Bandido is fucking AWESOME.  OOOH MAN!  JUN AKIYAMA!  KONOSUKE TAKESHITA!  OOOOH MAN!  Anna JAS!  Toni Storm!  Anna is doing Sports Entertainment!  Hey!  Anna JAS is a HEAT MACHINE!  Anna works the crowd like a true disciple of Chris Jericho (actually, I'm noticing that she is more influenced by Britt Baker.)   Anna is matching Storm's stiffness.  WRECKS EM through the ropes!  Anna busts up Storm on the outside!  WRECKED EM!  Storm channels Dean Malenko and applies the Texas Cloverleaf!  Jamie Hayter comes down to the ring and faces off with the gal holding her belt!  Anna JAS looked great in this- especially since she woke up this morning not knowing she was wrestling on TV.  That was good.  Then MOX and MJF yak for a while.  That was good.  That was some quality Professional Wrestling.  AEW.  RULES.  THE MOTHERFUCKING.  WORLD.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, For Great Justice said:

Really good show with a lot to unpack. 

Bridgeport sucks.

They were pretty dead but I think the arena mics weren't working very well either.

Loved Top Flight Fox vs. Death Triangle, just some ridiculous shit in that match. Fox doing a moonsault by running up the ring post had me jump out of my chair saying "holy shit". AR Fox definitely made the most of his TV debut!

Opening tag was great, Sammy is really just getting the snot beat out of himself recently and I'm here for it.

I have to admit, I wasn't really able to pay much attention to Page-Bandido. I want to like Ethan Page, but he's just not AEW upper card guy to me.

Acclaimed video = great, as usual. Match was excellent, really fun seeing Bowens show out and Swerve getting to do all his strange style stuff.

Britt's promo was excellent but lord the dynamic of this match is totally screwed up at this point.

Jade talking about how she built the belt up when Nyla was literally an AEW women's champion before Jade was wrestling was some funny shit.

The Firm aspect of the MJF-Mox angle is a crowd-killer. Of course, considering what MJF did to Wardlow I'm ok with his big moment getting spoiled some.

• Like 7

Liked the tease of "a trio is coming back" with how Elite and the Church of Dutch Satan have both had their own vignettes recently. I'm going to Full Gear on Saturday and I'm really split between wearing my Elite (Change the world) or Malakai mask shirt. 

Add me to the Allie/Bunny fan club. She's probably the most underrated person on that roster.

So........................ The Firm went down kind of easy there.........

• Like 6

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

MJF paid them to take a dive. 5D chess.

I almost feel like they're laying it on a little too thick, I would have saved MJF quoting Punk quoting Kevin Spacey (jesus how is Max the most reputable person in that trio) until if after that's what the big turn is gonna be.

• Like 3

I enjoyed the 6 man and also kept thinking they were going to tease The Elite coming back but leaving it open as to whether it would be them or HOB actually showing up to face them at the show. Advertising The Elite in advance is probably better for getting more eyes on the show than just teasing them though. Hopefully we get a HOB appearance afterwards.

Britt's promo was fine but yeah, the dynamics of that match are all wacky. As far as women's matches go I'm really looking forward to Hayter/Storm.

Why is Ethan Page in the finals of the title shot tournament? And did they explain when the match between Cage and the winner of Starks/Archer is going to be?

Either The Firm are total jabronis (that eyepoke of doom on Page was especially weak) or there's something to the above comments about MJF having a master plan.

• Like 1

Man they need that AEW Network ASAP so I can get more Sting and Darby in Fear and Loathing in Venice Beach. Like real grimy black and white road trip episodes where the Darby stops to jump off of shit and skateboard while Sting stops to identify fixer uppers at below market asking prices. Some real Jackass meets Chip and Joanna shit.

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

Imagine running an “overcome the odds” story in a title shot tournament with a relatively popular babyface, have him win, and then he immediately loses the title match a few weeks later.

It’s gonna be Page vs MJF, for sure.

Also I miss CM Punk.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Who else can MJF believably beat clean in his first title defense

We're absolutely going to get "Max only faces scrubs and ducks Wardlow" for the next 6 months

He only wrestles every 3 months anyway, he’s the anti-Mox in every way.

14 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Who else can MJF believably beat clean in his first title defense

We're absolutely going to get "Max only faces scrubs and ducks Wardlow" for the next 6 months

Prepare for MJF defending the title against Top Flight and AR Fox. They're definitely not scrubs, but also not anywhere near world title contenders. 

Give me a returning Miro challenging for the world title. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2