DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 11/16/22

Unnatural

It's the go home show for the PPV, so I guess they see that as a necessary evil. They have various set up things:

• The singles match between guys in the Tag Title match.
  • A shine-up match for Storm since Hayter got hers last week.
  • The tag between the faces and the heels in the 4 way ROH title match.
  • A trios showcase match for the champs so that the Elite can come back to challenge afterwards.
  • A tournament semifinal.

I'm curious if they can salvage Saraya at this point, but it feels a little hopeless. It'll be kind of funny (but an absolute disaster) after All Out/Grand Slam if the two biggest babyfaces at Full Gear are MJF and Britt Baker.

Anyway, the biggest question for this show is whether or not Bunny pops a rating in her return.

• Like 4

So Starks is having 2 matches on Rampage? Because the other 1st round match between Starks/Archer still hasn't happened and the winner still has to face Brian Cage after that. 

Looking forward to the return of Top Flight and AR Fox getting a shot. Fox is already on part 3 of the Willow Nightingale process of getting a contract. Part 1: impress on Dark/Elevation. Part 2: Finally win a match on Dark/Elevation. Part 3: Make the main shows. Part 4 is getting a win on Dynamite or Rampage and getting the contract. It doesn't hurt when the fans get behind you during this process lol. 

• Like 4

Page vs either Cage or Archer at the PPV would be a head-scratcher. Not saying good or bad, just strange. 

Hope Starks is okay. He was just quote-tweeting the Prudential Center and teasing a big week ahead, which may just be standard hyping event stuff but he seemed poised for a Full Gear match so... who knows. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Yeah, here's the tweet. Feels like he's leaning into having to win 3 matches in 4 days, etc.

Looks like he's wearing the Devils alternate.

new-jersey-devils-new-uniform-alternate-

On the one hand, good on him leaning into the babyface thing for Newark. OTOH... no.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I like The Bunny as well. IMO, Anna's best match was the street fight with her and Tay Conti vs. The Bunny and Penelope Ford. 

It's such a bummer that 3/4 of that match like immediately got injured and they couldn't really build on their momentum.  Really felt like that was a star turn for Bunny.

• Like 5

I am pretty sure that at one point both @DEANand I had Bunny on our Top 10 Current Female Pro Wrestlers lists at the same time. She's just so naturally hate-able as a heel. But, as long as Tony Storm is mashing her ass into someone's head at max velocity I am happy. Hopefullly Bunny is well and back on TV soon.

• Like 4

One of the big disappointments of the year for me, though I'm sure others might disagree, was that they didn't lean hard enough into the "Sports Entertainer" thing. In general, past changing some names and synchronized clothing choice, Sports Entertainer was really just another word for being a cheater. I would have loved to see more of the WWE style in their ringwork in some sort of clever parody that they could pass in as somehow kayfabe effective, like the idea that the Worm somehow hit especially hard or provided a certain level of confidence or worked as a mind game that threw people off. Something creative along those lines that could have made for a real contrast with what the BCC was doing.

The only wrestler who really, really seems to be embracing the idea of this currently is Anna Jay, who is wildly down the rabbit hole (no pun intended) of throwing kisses all over the place and posing and shouting out her catch phrase in the middle of matches and making faces and just being totally committed to the idea and the ideal of sports entertainment.

I mean I would have preferred the Bunny too but I do hope she leans hard into all of the shenanigans and amusing goofiness in the middle of an otherwise hard hitting match tonight.

• Like 11