DVDVR Message Board

NCAA 2022 - WEEK TWELVE

RIPPA

In what has been a big story around here this morning

3 members of the University of Virginia football team where shot and killed this morning

A former University of Virginia football player suspected of killing three football players and wounding two other students on campus late Sunday night is in custody after a manhunt in Charlottesville, Virginia, police confirmed Monday.

Three Virginia football players -- wide receivers Lavel Davis Jr. and Devin Chandler and linebacker D'Sean Perry -- were confirmed by university president James E. Ryan as those killed Sunday night.

Two others were wounded in the shooting, which happened on a bus of students who were returning from an off-campus trip.

Authorities said the suspect in the shooting, identified as Christopher Darnell Jones Jr., has been taken into custody. Jones was listed as a freshman running back on the team's 2018 roster, and his roster bio noted that he previously played at Petersburg High School and Varina High School in Virginia.

The UVA Police Department had tweeted earlier Monday morning that it was looking for Jones regarding the shooting, which occurred in a parking garage on campus around 10:30 p.m. ET Sunday. The tweet included the same photograph of Jones that was used for his Virginia football bio online.

Ryan confirmed in a message to the community at 4 a.m. ET Monday that three people were killed and two others were injured. Ryan wrote that "one of our students, Christopher Darnell Jones Jr., is suspected to have committed the shooting."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35025779/police-seek-ex-virginia-football-player-campus-shooting

The suspect has been taken into custody

• Sad 3

I will just mention (since there is no real way to transition away from the story) that UVA is supposed to host Coastal Carolina this weekend

Obviously no idea what will happen with that game yet

Shane Lyons is out as West Virginia AD (with Head Coach Neal Brown most likely following him at season's end)

Normally beating Oklahoma might work in your favor but not really this year

The one thing that might help Brown keep his job is that paying his buyout would really really hurt the athletic department financially. (His buyout is something like $17 million).

This is why you don't give extensions to coaches who have .500 records at the time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

UVA has cancelled its game against Coastal Carolina which was to be their final home game this season.

No decision has been made about next week's game at Virginia Tech

I hope they are able to play. I know VA/VA Tech are rivals but they'd still be very supportive since its all in-state. These types of situations typically bring out the "best" in rivalries and it would give the players a chance to honor the players killed. Course, obviously with all the emotions involved I'd understand if they cancelled, I can't imagine how hard it is for the players, but I still hope they are able to go through with it.

• Like 3

Just now, hammerva said:

just flipped over and saw maybe the best snowman in the stands ever.  looks like a damn person is just stuck in there.  this game must have bored the fuck out of her because the detail is great

There were two long touchdown runs in the first like 3:30 and nothing since.

I'm not at the game, but I can confirm the weather here would be miserable in the stands. Hopefully it'll help prevent the standard bloated police blotter that happens every time Western plays here.

32 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

There were two long touchdown runs in the first like 3:30 and nothing since.

I'm not at the game, but I can confirm the weather here would be miserable in the stands. Hopefully it'll help prevent the standard bloated police blotter that happens every time Western plays here.

When I attended Western, we actually did street patrols during CMU weekend to keep a lid on things. It did help. 

10 hours ago, hammerva said:

just flipped over and saw maybe the best snowman in the stands ever.  looks like a damn person is just stuck in there.  this game must have bored the fuck out of her because the detail is great

Edited by RIPPA
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Amazing weather rivalry game happening here in Mt Pleasant on ESPNU/The app. So much snow.

Shame it was up against Dynamite or I would've been glued to this. So damn fun to watch.

• Like 1

BRAWL OF THE WILD just skyrocketed up the Best Rivalry Name chart, and that trophy (EDIT: 306 - THREE HUNDRED AND SIX pounds!) is fantastic. GameDay site choosers have been hitting it out of the park this year.

• Like 2

The Auburn/Ole Miss Twitter saga over the perceived services of Lane Kiffin are worth the price of admission alone.

I'm definitely team Kiffin to Auburn. I may even steal @EVA's old Avatar on this board for a bit if it happens. 

The annual Jimmy Sexton working everyone for his own pocketbook hunger games is in full effect. 

• Like 1

I was about to post that somehow Akron vs Buffalo was still scheduled to be played tomorrow in Buffalo but about a hour ago, they announced the game was postponed

They might play on Sunday if the conditions permit it

Tomorrow, veteran Cal broadcaster Joe Starkey calls his final game as the Golden Bears take on Stanford.

You know, THAT Joe Starkey.

THE BAND IS OUT ON THE FIELD~! Still the most surreal finish to a football game you'll ever see.

• Like 2