DVDVR Message Board

WARGAMES - Survivor Series XXXVI - 11/26/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Owens looking in the wrong spot for chairs was amusing.. guess he forgot that the women kept going to that part of the apron to find plunder in the first match.

I was thinking that the Opener would mean that the competitors would need to go to the other ring to dig up some extra weapons, but nah, there were still some tables and chairs left.

I only watched the main. It was a fine but thoroughly unremarkable match. Owens was the only baby that brought War Games fire, and that’s what these matches live and die on (well, that and blood, but obviously that one’s already out for WWE matches). This did not justify the stip at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bloodline is the most compelling story in wrestling in a very long time, I'm loving everything about it. Sami finally hugging it out in a genuine way with Jey Uso was fucking brilliant. I love them as a cohesive unit, really interested to see where it all goes from here and who will step up as the challengers as we near 2023 and WrestleMania season. 

By the way, Solo is channeling the spirit of uncle Umaga out here.. I seen potential on NXT but my God he's been an A1 killing machine since getting the call up. Possible future world champion. 

Women's War Games was fun for all the plunder. 

Lashley vs. Theory vs. Rollins had a dope finishing stretch. Really good match, very creative. I usually dislike triple threats but that was a blast.

Another good PLE under the Hunter regime.

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 9

I kept falling asleep all night so I'll fo back and watch the main event and 3 way. 

From what I saw of the main event it was a straight slugfest , which is what you want from Seamus and Drew and all the Bloodline can bring it. The finish played in to the story they were trying to tell and it wasn't melodramatic which WWE is so egregious with. I'm excited to see where they go which WWE hasn't been able to get me excited about what's happening next in years atleast with the Bloodline thing.

They've done a good job at making Owens seem like the biggest threat to Roman's title in the past few years too. I know he’s good lose again but they've managed to make him the clear number 2 guy in a matter of a week.

23 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

By the way, Solo is channeling the spirit of uncle Umaga out here.. I seen potential on NXT but my God he's been an A1 killing machine since getting the call up. Possible future world champion. 

Good catch. I'm pretty sure Corey was referencing Umaga when he said Solo had a Ferrari engine put into a Samoan bulldozer.

I only watched the Men's WarGames because of the Bloodline story. It's so good. It was also cool to see Sami turn on Kevin after Kevin has turned on Sami/Generico so many times over the years. 

• Like 4

So Sami has to win the Rumble now yeah?

Sami wins, Roman is all "I love you Uce but you ain't WrestleMania Maint Event level. Let's do this at Battleground/Elimination Chamber/PLE in Feb."

Sami is reluctant but says "Sure thing boss!"

Cue weeks of Jey telling Sami he better lay down and make it easy. KO begging Sami not to waste his chance etc 

Rock comes back and helps Sami win.

Cody Rhodes wins the Chamber match for the Mania shot.

Rock v Roman on one night, Sami v Rhodes for the title on the other.

• Like 4

Elimination Chamber 2023 is Montreal, Canada.

I still think it'll be Cody Rhodes beating Roman Reigns for both the WWE Championship/WWE Universal Championship and Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens beating the Usos for the WWE Undisputed Tag Team Titles at WrestleMania 39.

Cody Rhodes should be watching on nervously seeing Sami Zayn's popularity/star rise as it has. Might Zayn slip in Rhodes spot?

If you aren't doing Roman/Zayn at WrestleMania, do it at Elimination Chamber. If you are, save it for then.

Cody Rhodes and Sami Zayn are the two favourites to win the Men's Royal Rumble match.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Red King said:

the return of Brian Kendrick as a producer was a topic on Bix's Twitter tonight

so, who are we crediting/blaming for parts of the Main Event between Shane Helms and Michael Hayes?

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Elimination Chamber 2023 is Montreal, Canada.

I still think it'll be Cody Rhodes beating Roman Reigns for both the WWE Championship/WWE Universal Championship and Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens beating the Usos for the WWE Undisputed Tag Team Titles at WrestleMania 39.

they might have to flex some creative muscle to work around Elimination Chamber due to Jimmy Uso not being allowed into Canada. Maybe Sami and Jey team up in Montreal but something goes array?

The Roman reign is almost to the point where some will think that the title change has to be on a big show, but some might think that Roman losing the title will be big on it's own?

Am I the only one that really didn’t care for either womens match? Ronda’s I knew would be a chore going in, but I thought this was far and away the worst womens war games yet. The only part I really liked was the ending, since they rushed through the Becky/Bayley and Becky/Rhea segments in seemingly record time. 

I thought AJ/Finn was good, but not as good as their previous match from TLC 2017 (especially with that one being thrown together literally at the last minute).

The three way ending was the right choice for sure, and it felt like they kept Lashley looking strong. I see everyone is seemingly on the Sami wins the Rumble bandwagon, but depending on Cody’s rehab I wouldn’t rule out Seth winning it either. He’s not had a title match in almost a year, and they always book him at or near the top of the card.

The main event was awesome. I loved the story they told, and Sami getting to betray KO felt like the perfect call. Plus having Jey still Sami’s moment only to give him a hug afterwards was great. 

All in all I’d say it was a worthwhile show, but definitely not the best ever, or even the best PLE of 2022. One thing I’m extremely happy with is they didn’t drag it down with another endless rambling Bray Wyatt promo.

• Like 1

Sounds like a fun show. I suspect even more fun, like all WWE, at a streamlined running time minus all the floor routine entrances, company ads and lengthy recaps. Sami Zayn is an incredible performer, and enough reason for me to stop and watch after ffwding passed all the dumb posturing Uso promos and lengthy Roman Reigns lame catchphrases/stoic character bits. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

That main event was outstanding. Not many storylines in wrestling history are hotter two years into it than The Bloodline is. 

Jey Uso is both a Hall of Famer and criminally underrated at the same time. He’s the modern Arn Anderson.

The Bloodline arc does not work without Jey being at the absolute elite level of character work. Roman doesn’t become a manipulative mob family leader without having someone to manipulate. Jey managed to be in that role but not become a dignity-less patsy. Sami does not become a player in this without Jey doing the jealous doubter role as magnificent as he has. And the Usos are an incredible tag team.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Sounds like a fun show. I suspect even more fun, like all WWE, at a streamlined running time minus all the floor routine entrances, company ads and lengthy recaps. Sami Zayn is an incredible performer, and enough reason for me to stop and watch after ffwding passed all the dumb posturing Uso promos and lengthy Roman Reigns lame catchphrases/stoic character bits. 

I could definitely live the rest of my life without ever hearing either Uso ever again say “You the twos, and we da Ones”, as well as Roman (with the crappiest looking death glare I’ve seen in a long time) demanding that everyone “Acknowledge Me”. Yeah I’ll acknowledge that you’re better in ring than you used to be, but I’ll also acknowledge that the bookers have their heads shoved up your ass, because they still dream about him vs Dwayne like that’s ever going to happen (or be any good if it does. IMO the last Rock match against Cena is one of the all time worst Mania main events, and I don’t see how he’ll improve with that many years off in between).

They badly need to split the titles again or just have somebody beat Roman. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Eivion said:

Women's WarGames tried a bit too hard for flash and was worse off for it with a lot of flubs. The plunder bits slowed it down too much as well. Still plenty of nice moments to go around that is was pretty enjoyable overall. Nikki crazy as she was back in NXT was nice. Dug the callback to her team with Alexa. Rhea had a nice badass moment or two though could have used a few more. Ultimately, I think the wrong team absolutely won. This should have been Rhea pinning Becky or Bianca.

AJ/Finn was good.

Shotzi/Ronda actually had plenty of decent moments, but both are pretty cold right now. I think expectations of Sasha coming back aren't helping either. If she is gone they need to make an announcement sooner than later. Same if she is coming back. Saying all that I actually enjoyed the match.  I just wish they did more for Shotzi before this. Ronda having a proper gang beyond Shayna to beat beatdowns would help.

Seth/Bobby/Theory was pretty good. Loved how much of beast Lashley was throughout with both Seth and Theory still hating each other too much to even try to team up against him. There were some great setups they paid off well. Theory winning how he did felt fine as well. Feels like he can have a better title run this time around.

The men's WarGames was great. They went for less flash and more story. It paid off very well for them at the end with the Sami/Jey feud finally coming to end. Absolutely loved the finish and post math with Jey hugging Sami. It was amusing how Jey Uso managed to be the only heel in this match. Even after booing Sami lowblowing KO, the crowd loved seeing Sami fully accepted into the Bloodline. Was also good seeing Solo continue to look like a beast. Its amazing how well he carries himself.  As much as people bitched about it NXT 2.0 had some great prospects come in with Solo, Bron, the Creeds, Stratton, Waller, & Hayes. Hopefully how well they are using Solo becomes the norm for the rest.

Good show overall. The Bloodline Wargames was MOTN for me with the US title match after it. Sami being certified so much here really makes me curious to see what they do with him, the Bloodline, and the Undisputed titles going into Wrestlemania. 

I could see them having Sami do this as a way to prove himself to the Bloodline. He will ultimately side with Owens and Owens/Sami vs Uso's for the tag belts at Mania is the  end game.