DVDVR Message Board

WARGAMES - Survivor Series XXXVI - 11/26/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Banks is the best choice. Becky would be after her. Beth would make sense from a story perspective, but with Mia already there as the Rhea counter I doubt the go that route. Liv would work as a counter to crazy Nikki, but it would also be pretty dumb to wait this long for her. Dana Brooke would be one of the worst choices.

• Like 1

I hope this is just a one off thing, and they go back to proper Survivor Series matches. Wargames are usually a let down, and personally I think the one man advantage, which then nearly always has to go to the heels, is too business exposing even for 2022.

Elimination tags often end up underwhelming because people get beaten in contrived circumstances far sooner than they would in a one fall match. The idea of the match is great though, and when it's done properly to sell it as a war of attrition, like some of those epic Japanese ones, or the 2003(?) Team Austin vs Team Bischoff(?) one, it's maybe my favourite stipulation.

Also, no Sasha yet, please. Want to see her in Stardom, then AEW, then maybe WWE again in five years. Let chaos reign, give us as many unique matches as possible while they're at least vaguely possible, death to stagnation.

Edited by SturmCRF

On 11/25/2022 at 11:22 AM, SturmCRF said:

I hope this is just a one off thing, and they go back to proper Survivor Series matches. Wargames are usually a let down, and personally I think the one man advantage, which then nearly always has to go to the heels, is too business exposing even for 2022.

Elimination tags often end up underwhelming because people get beaten in contrived circumstances far sooner than they would in a one fall match. The idea of the match is great though, and when it's done properly to sell it as a war of attrition, like some of those epic Japanese ones, or the 2003(?) Team Austin vs Team Bischoff(?) one.

Also, no Sasha yet, please. Want to see her in Stardom, then AEW, then maybe WWE again in five years. Let chaos reign, give us as many unique matches as possible while they're at least vaguely possible, death to stagnation.

Correct. Survivor Series has always been my least favourite of the big four. Even as a kid watching the elimination matches, I thought wrestlers were dumb for not breaking up a pin after a finisher or moves putting someone down that normally wouldn't do.

Natural's top ten Survivor Series matches.

10. Team SmackDown vs. Team Raw vs. Team NXT. Survivor Series 2019.

9. Team Cena vs. Team Authority. Survivor Series 2014.

8. AJ Styles/Shane McMahon/Dean Ambrose/Bray Wyatt/Randy Orton vs. Kevin Owens/Roman Reigns/Seth Rollins/Chris Jericho/Braun Strowman. Survivor Series 2016.

7. Team WWF vs. Team Alliance. Survivor Series 2001.

6. Brock Lesnar vs. AJ Styles. Survivor Series 2017.

5. Team Bischoff vs. Team Austin. Survivor Series 1993.

4. Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels. Survivor Series 1992.

3. Brock Lesnar vs. Daniel Bryan. Survivor Series 2018.

2. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H vs. Chris Jericho vs. Kane vs. Booker T vs. Rob Van Dam. Survivor Series 2002.

1. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin. Survivor Series 1996. *****.

5 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Is there a consensus best WWE Wargames match?  I'm partial to the first one because I was there.  I don't want to include the WCW ones since they're clearly very different.

That first one is usually the one I see get the most love. My favorite is probably Team Rhipley vs. Team Baszler for the Dakota turn. 

• Like 1

an assortment of things I remember from the card

The women's match really veered towards being a plunderfest once Nikki got into the ring. Nikki. Maybe there wasn't enough Rhea in the match. Several big spots off the top of the cage to counter people who prefer their Wargames cages to have a roof. Faces win.

AJ and Finn had a pretty decently good match. Gallows/Anderson beat on Dominik like Dom touched the bar jukebox during their song. AJ wins.

If Ronda gets a few extra Shaynas, then it'll be like a less good Dump Matsumoto gang. Shayna helped pad the length of the match. Ronda wins.

Lot of Seth Rollinstastic action in the three way. Theory wins after a bit of a banana peel slip of an ending. Prepare for matches where Theory somehow keeps retaining the US title despite eating asswhippings.

The main event was worked in a kinda unique fashion since they went against the one core feature of WarGames match storytelling. The finishing sequence was pretty strong. Sami was hugged and lifted off the ground like he was Bob Barker meeting a happy Samoan in the early 1980s.

• Like 1

Women's WarGames tried a bit too hard for flash and was worse off for it with a lot of flubs. The plunder bits slowed it down too much as well. Still plenty of nice moments to go around that is was pretty enjoyable overall. Nikki crazy as she was back in NXT was nice. Dug the callback to her team with Alexa. Rhea had a nice badass moment or two though could have used a few more. Ultimately, I think the wrong team absolutely won. This should have been Rhea pinning Becky or Bianca.

AJ/Finn was good.

Shotzi/Ronda actually had plenty of decent moments, but both are pretty cold right now. I think expectations of Sasha coming back aren't helping either. If she is gone they need to make an announcement sooner than later. Same if she is coming back. Saying all that I actually enjoyed the match.  I just wish they did more for Shotzi before this. Ronda having a proper gang beyond Shayna to beat beatdowns would help.

Seth/Bobby/Theory was pretty good. Loved how much of beast Lashley was throughout with both Seth and Theory still hating each other too much to even try to team up against him. There were some great setups they paid off well. Theory winning how he did felt fine as well. Feels like he can have a better title run this time around.

The men's WarGames was great. They went for less flash and more story. It paid off very well for them at the end with the Sami/Jey feud finally coming to end. Absolutely loved the finish and post math with Jey hugging Sami. It was amusing how Jey Uso managed to be the only heel in this match. Even after booing Sami lowblowing KO, the crowd loved seeing Sami fully accepted into the Bloodline. Was also good seeing Solo continue to look like a beast. Its amazing how well he carries himself.  As much as people bitched about it NXT 2.0 had some great prospects come in with Solo, Bron, the Creeds, Stratton, Waller, & Hayes. Hopefully how well they are using Solo becomes the norm for the rest.

Good show overall. The Bloodline Wargames was MOTN for me with the US title match after it. Sami being certified so much here really makes me curious to see what they do with him, the Bloodline, and the Undisputed titles going into Wrestlemania. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 3

It's possible I might have missed some details since I didn't really watch much WWE TV in-between Summerslam and tonight, and i'll probably not watch a lot from tonight to the Rumble. I'll let the pregame show catch me up on anything I didn't read online.

Wonder if the 2023 Rumble will benefit a little from the 2022 Rumble match being a bit of a mess.. meaning that it'll be hard to do a Rumble match that isn't at least considered good when you consider recent history.

As for the various cosmetic changes in WarGames... I can live with the cage not having a roof. I wouldn't have minded one of the matches ending without a pinfall. There's probably a few elements that have to be added to make up for the matches not having blood. The cover for the gap between the rings might have been slightly more useful than having a gap there with the added benefit of nobody screwing up their ankles going from ring to ring (remember Daniel Bryan(?) and the gap on the ramp in AEW a few months ago)

The Main Event was more Faces vs Uces than Face/Heel.