DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 11/9/2022

The Natural

24 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

Surprised to see the polarised opinion over Britt/Saraya. The real emotion she showed when she said she was cleared hooked me into the rest of the segment and kept me there the whole way through.

Also, Danielson's grey in his beard is making him look like Old Man Hawkeye from Old Man Logan, especially if he now gets some sort of eye bandage to sell his vicious microphone to the orbital bone injury.

I'm in the same boat as you. I thought this was Saraya's best AEW promo to date. She has been shaky on the mic since she's working without a script, but this time she sounded pretty good and the emotion she put on display was really raw. Props to Britt too for selling Saraya's emotion. I thought that was a great segment. I still don't know if I'm totally into this feud and I think Saraya is going to lose, but the segment was good.

In fact, I thought every segment was pretty damn good last night. AEW in the home stretch to PPVs is usually them at their best. I also realized I'm going to be at the pre-Thanksgiving Dynamite, which will be the first Dynamite post-Full Gear. I'm usually down on the first Dynamite post-PPV, but hopefully it being the pre-Thanksgiving Dynamite will make it more of a party and more of a fun show.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matt925 said:

He said in canon that hangman had never done anything, when he had been aew world champion and headlined multiple ppvs. Same deal, you’ve only been in aew you haven’t actually done anything. 

As I said, I know he said this at the scrum, but did it happen on tv? Meltzer suggested Punk had done similarly to Saraya and made comments as if WWE was the big deal, on tv outside of the scrum.

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

Saraya thinks she’s Lou Reed in Velvet Underground and she’s about to release Transformer. There’s a pretty good chance she’s going to be Lou Reed with Metallica. 

58 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Unfairly mocked and maligned, and heralded as a brilliant piece of subversive, intentionally challenging art by future generations? 😁

Yeah I'm with you. Lulu was a strange but very interesting piece of work. And rewarding. I especially dig some of the live appearances the tandem made. A particularly nice and heavy take on the VU staple White Light, White Heat! 

• Thanks 1

THURSDAY REFLECTIONS:  Just finished watching the International Feed and MAN, is it better than the broadcast version.  The Jay Lethal match was helped the most because Lethal was fucking awesome beating the fudge out of Trent.  The other great thing was the first commercial break in the Danielson/Sammy match as Sammy drew all the attention to himself in the ring and just bathes in the hatred of the MOLTEN Boston crowd while Danielson finishes blading.  Sammy was fuckin' Gino Hernandez in Houston last night.   That was legit HEAT!   I noticed that Tony Schiavonne is assuming the role of Most Casual Clueless Fan in that he says the most obvious things to get over some pretty obvious stuff- "Keith Lee DIDN'T FIST BUMP SWERVE!"  The Jamie Hayter/Skye Blue match was about as effective as the Lethal match in picture in picture to get over the fact that Jamie Hayter will punch you right in the face just to see that look on your face.  So fucking good.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Log said:

I'll give you the movie. That is a big deal. The Women's champ thing came at a time when the belt was still a butterfly and whatever Saraya did there was GREATLY eclipsed by the women that came after her.

I should clarify that I don't have any issue with Saraya or her feuding with Britt whatsoever. I just think they're approaching it from the wrong angle. If it's, "I've been on the shelf, gone through hell, and now I'm back and I want to go right after the best!", then I think that's a lot better than, "I'm a huge star and you're a nobody who never did anything and got everything handed to you!"

Oh yeah, ok. On further review, I'm with you. Couldn't agree more on second paragraph. 

• Like 1

The PiP commentary was fucking great last night, they managed to break themselves enough that we got like 30 seconds of silence while they got recombobulated.  Easily worth $7 on its own.

Somebody has been showing Sammy some Koji Kanemoto tapes 'cuz he's been real dickish the past few weeks, which is exactly where he should be.  I liked them inverting the story of the Danielson/Garcia 2/3 falls match by having Danielson win the first fall but still have to fight from underneath the  rest of the match.

I think what they've been doing with Stokely hasn't been great and isn't playing to his strengths, but having him accuse MJF of dick-riding without a license is a perfect way to get him back in my good graces.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

As I said, I know he said this at the scrum, but did it happen on tv? Meltzer suggested Punk had done similarly to Saraya and made comments as if WWE was the big deal, on tv outside of the scrum.

Yes, he said it in a promo on tv. That’s why I said in canon, I guess I could’ve worded it better. 

Overall I enjoyed the segment and it feels like a big ppv match so I like that. But they really need to sit down with everyone and say to please be careful not to bury the company, even if that isn’t the intention. 

• Like 4

Since the producers are getting a lot of shit for missing the Joe turn let me give them some flowers: the way they shot Wardlow's entrance with Joe waiting by the stairs to the tunnel and then following him up was pretty cool in a real poor man's Scorcese kinda way.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Since the producers are getting a lot of shit for missing the Joe turn let me give them some flowers: the way they shot Wardlow's entrance with Joe waiting by the stairs to the tunnel and then following him up was pretty cool in a real poor man's Scorcese kinda way.

There used to be a dude on Twitter who every week would put up a new photoshopped pic of TK and Scorsese after Dynamite, and talk about how AEW is 'real cinema' (as opposed to WWE's wide net 'Marvel movie' approach). Haven't seen any in a while but as a fan of his movies it really tickled me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm kind of surprised that a lot of you don't see Saraya as a star. I know this isn't the greatest metric but she has more followers on Twitter (2.7m to 2.4m) than Sasha Banks and a healthy 6+ million followers on Instagram. Had a movie made about her and was one of the pioneers of womens wrestling being taken seriously.

Also she didn't say she headlined the Tokyo Dome, she said "I've DONE Madison Square Garden, I've DONE the O2, I've DONE the Tokyo Dome" which she didn't... but she did do the Beast in the East show a couple of years ago from Ryogoku Kokugikan . A long shout from the Dome though.

• Like 2

I got banged up with three positive Covid tests yesterday so it wasn't a fun night, but good lord Sammy/Danielson did their best for me/us. I think Matt D wrote out pretty much exactly what the match turned out to back on the first or second page of this thread. Those were probably the nastiest elbows Bryan's ever thrown. I swear he might have a broken orbital bone, but then if he bladed (which I didn't catch) maybe not. I was fading in and out from the cough syrup. 

And this is total blasphemy to my own opinion of him but you know who came off like a real old school dick of a heat magnet? Jeff Jarrett. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Danielson/Guevara definitely have weirdly good chemistry together, even if one of them is Danielson. Kind of like Christian/Orton vibes, inexplicably good chemistry.

Also AEW is announcing UK DATES NEXT WEEK and I am elated. I am ready to sell a kidney, I'm getting good tickets if it kills me.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

Danielson/Guevara definitely have weirdly good chemistry together, even if one of them is Danielson. Kind of like Christian/Orton vibes, inexplicably good chemistry.

Also AEW is announcing UK DATES NEXT WEEK and I am elated. I am ready to sell a kidney, I'm getting good tickets if it kills me.

They’re also announcing my long awaited Northern California show next week. Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Also she didn't say she headlined the Tokyo Dome, she said "I've DONE Madison Square Garden, I've DONE the O2, I've DONE the Tokyo Dome" which she didn't... but she did do the Beast in the East show a couple of years ago from Ryogoku Kokugikan . A long shout from the Dome though.

You beat me to it, but she just tweeted the same. Something like "I meant to say Sumo Hall, I was like fuckkkkkk" Cracked me up. 

59 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I got banged up with three positive Covid tests yesterday so it wasn't a fun night, but good lord Sammy/Danielson did their best for me/us. I think Matt D wrote out pretty much exactly what the match turned out to back on the first or second page of this thread. Those were probably the nastiest elbows Bryan's ever thrown. I swear he might have a broken orbital bone, but then if he bladed (which I didn't catch) maybe not. I was fading in and out from the cough syrup. 

And this is total blasphemy to my own opinion of him but you know who came off like a real old school dick of a heat magnet? Jeff Jarrett. 

I did dig about 75% of Jarrett's promo myself. I could have done without the references to Braun and HHH, but I'll give him a pass since he ran TNA, the official HOME of the 'Fuck HHH' promo for 20 years and counting - the rest of it was pretty damn good. Mostly though, just quoting to say that I hope you and yours are feeling better soon man.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matt925 said:

Yes, he said it in a promo on tv. That’s why I said in canon, I guess I could’ve worded it better. 

Overall I enjoyed the segment and it feels like a big ppv match so I like that. But they really need to sit down with everyone and say to please be careful not to bury the company, even if that isn’t the intention. 

Am I safe to assume that was the receipt promo? I guess technically it's the same as what happened last night. A company wide bulletin would be good, but (if it's not already happening) maybe bringing in a capable producer on the promo segments is necessary. 

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Right!?! I didn't watch more than a handful of highlights of TNA so I'm less prone to the disgust and hate-wave Double J has brought with him. Last I saw him he was exactly as you describe 'a heat magnet' and making the best of that awful Ric Flair bow out. His wife Karen was awesome too. 

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Always liked Jarrett just never as the focal point of a promotion so if he works a couple of matches then fades into his backstage role Im cool with that

My problem is that backstage Jarrett's fall-back solution to any problem is "Put me on camera"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, (BP) said:

The funny thing is that Danielson fundamentally understands what a shitty thing it is to say and incorporated it into his heeling during his program with Page. 

“When I won the championship at WRESTLEMANIA” was so freakin perfect. Totally opposite use. 

• Like 4