DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 11/9/2022

The Natural

I saw that Joe turn coming a mile away, whenever you see someone standing behind someone like he did a heel turn is coming!

And woof, that Britt/Saraya segment....why exactly is Britt the heel if she's speaking the truth? Saraya's speech didn't help her case at all, she pretty much proved everything Britt said and in no way did it sway my opinion on her.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 1

Great main event. Everything else kinda meh.

That PPV card does little to entice.

Keen to see what they do with MJF/Moxley as a finish and where they go with it. Do I want to see them wrestle again and pay $35 for it? Nah.

ROH title could be fun, but between the result being fairly certain, and the format feeling like something you'd do on a go-home show before the PPV rather than the PPV itself? Ehhh.

Hayter/Storm, similar views to the main event. Hope they put the title on Hayter, but a bit whatever on seeing Toni Storm work the same match over and over.

Tag Title match will be good and looking forward to it. Concerning when the third chapter of a feud is the most compelling must see part of the PPV.

Don't care for the tournament finals, Ethan Page is no bueno, and while they can't work out what to do with Starks other than pointlessly book him like a little bitch, it's a no there too (that backstage vignette with him getting beat down by Archer was counterproductive).

I hope Saraya goes away soon, her promos do nothing for me, and as much as I like Britt, I feel like unless this turns into a garbage match with plunder, this hasn't got a hope of being watchable. Feel as though they overrate Saraya's importance with the fan base. She's B*Witched, and getting a run like she's the Spice Girls.

Jarrett/Lethal vs Sting/Darby feels undercooked for what it is. It could be good, and I'm optimistic it could actually go somewhere long term, but I also am concerned it will just wander aimlessly through the opening hour of Dynamite for months on end.

Nyla/Jade could be a sleeper. I reckon that could actually surprise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Some genuine emotion in that Saraya/Britt promo. Delivery was shaky at times but completely understandable. It was a really interesting dynamic with Britt being a heel yet playing the loyal defender against the invading threat in Saraya. That kick to set up the DDT was a little rough but I think hitting the mic at the end wrapped it up nicely. And I agree with all saying this was the best promo from her since her arrival for sure.

The Baker-Saraya face to face was the first time in awhile that I was thinking I ought to tune out and take a break from the action. I'm glad I didn't. Britt was awesome here, painter jeans or whatever the fuck that style choice was included. Saraya's genuine emotion as you say made her side mostly fine. That said, her response to Baker calling her out for the 'AEW is my house' nonsense sounded like a worked up dumbjock lacking any sort of good reason. You could feel the chorus of groans live and at home with 'you don't know what it takes to be a superstar'. Everything she was saying at that point was so self involved and so ready for jeers. And her cocky looks out into the crowd don't at all feel babyface. All that said, that 'genuine emotion' carried her side thru. Tho, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some weird heat in this one at the PPV.

• Like 2

Sammy Guevarra should cut out the highflying and just go completely Takeshi Ono.  He should fight for the ROH Pure title and they should just make the Pure Title division a  version of BattlARTS.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I hope Saraya goes away soon, her promos do nothing for me, and as much as I like Britt, I feel like unless this turns into a garbage match with plunder, this hasn't got a hope of being watchable. Feel as though they overrate Saraya's importance with the fan base. She's B*Witched, and getting a run like she's the Spice Girls..

I’m with you here. I feel like Saraya is being presented as way bigger of a star than she is/was. That promo got way too close to straight-up burying Britt for my tastes.

I feel like almost everything she said about “superstars” would make sense coming from like Sasha Banks, but from her it’s a little eye-rolling. 

Saraya’s story (imo) should be the comeback. “I’ve been through hell, and now I’m back on track and no one’s getting in my way!”-type stuff. She really has a very inspirational story built right in. Don’t have her big-timing the people you’ve spent the last couple years building up. You don’t have Bryan Danielson come in his first week and say, “None of you would be wrestling if it wasn’t for me! You’re all not on my level and I’m going to show you what a real star looks like!” Have her say she’s got her second chance and she wanted to prove herself where the best competition is. 

Edited by Log
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Log said:

I’m with you here. I feel like Saraya is being presented as way bigger of a star than she is/was. That promo got way too close to straight-up burying Britt for my tastes.

I feel like almost everything she said about “superstars” would make sense coming from like Sasha Banks, but from her it’s a little eye-rolling. 

Saraya’s story (imo) should be the comeback. “I’ve been through hell, and now I’m back on track and no one’s getting in my way!”-type stuff. She really has a very inspirational story built right in. Don’t have her big-timing the people you’ve spent the last couple years building up. You don’t have Bryan Danielson come in his first week and say, “None of you would be wrestling if it wasn’t for me! You’re all not on my level and I’m going to show you what a real star looks like!” Have her say she’s got her second chance and she wanted to prove herself where the best competition is. 

The (big) problem was that her speech wasn't motivational, if you think about it. Pretty much every sentence in the first part about how she mentioned she's been in the business for so long and wrestled despite other issues stopping her could have been post-faced by "...because your family ran the company" or some variation thereof. It didn't make her sound sympathetic at all.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 5

Phew, made it through most of the show on the bus. And hey, I really liked it. Good week. Still need to hit the main.

• MJF thing was pretty good. It came from a place of honesty and connected a lot of dots instead of trying to just inflate one dot which is how it often is with him. They're not making him rah rah babyface. He's still a jerk. He's just trying to be a jerk who can look himself in the mirror maybe.
  • 8 Man worked for me. Best Gunns match ever. Good for them. I loved Colton's intensity right off the bat because in storyline, they have been just dying to get noticed by FTR and now they finally were and he made the most of it. Austin was more there for the atomic drop sell, the taunting after Big Bill interfered, the DX Sports Entertainer stuff (though the JAS should do more of that and everyone else less, but what are you going to do?). Every now and again Cash does something that really, really makes him standout. Here it was during the punching in the corner bit before they went to commercial. He was just raining them down. Finishing stretch felt like one of those WWE house show celebratory ten men tags. I kind of wish FTR didn't get the big rig on but it was good that Acclaimed pinned the Gunns and not them. I can't believe they missed the shot on FTR and Acclaimed doing the scissor thing! That was the main thing they had to hit!
  • Kingston vs Page worked for me. I probably would have liked protecting Eddie more but at some point you either have to go with Page and elevate him or not and you shouldn't hedge when elevating a guy. Throughout the match, they didn't work classic shine/heat/comeback but instead Page would get an opening and Eddie would fire back. You got the sense that Eddie had his number but Page survived long enough to capitalize on Stoke. Finish was pretty perilous but hit perfectly clean. I'll have three (3) Kingston matches to write up for Monday. 
  • Wardlow thing covered a lot of ground in a short amount of time. I would have liked him to be able to hit another power bomb or two and really get the fans going but what are you going to do? Joe turn could have come at the PPV or after it? I think about the people I want to see challenge Joe for the TV title at Final Battle and they're mostly babyfaces so it makes sense he's a heel. They missed the shot on Joe's turn too btw! AEW production really needs some help.
  • Yeah, I don't know. I think Saraya's speech was terrible and the crowd is going to turn on her hard at the PPV. Saraya wasn't just shitting on Britt. She was shitting on AEW as a whole. Read the room. 
  • It was downright criminal that they didn't show 30 seconds of Lee Johnson turning on Danhausen and rejoining the factory. That backstage promo should have been earlier in the night too. Lethal vs Trent was good though. Great bodypart stuff, Trent working well with one leg. Intense bastard Lethal is the best Lethal. His bump into the corner was nuts. The announcers were ridiculous during PiP all night. I think this is the match where Taz said there were too many Tonys in AEW and that Tony S should be Tom or Matt. The Jarrett bit where his gimmick is that he knows how a pro wrestling show is produced and brings that up every time is not great. The song still is though. I remain way more interested in Darby/Sting vs Lethal/Satnam than Jarrett being involved. 
  • Skye Blue and Hayter beat the crap out of each other. That's all I wanted. Now I want Skye vs Athena!
  • Show is so much better and more palatable without the elite. I can't say I missed Jericho this week either, even if I think he's had a great year.
  • Main on the way home later.
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, JLowe said:

Wardlow squash, fine. Joe turn with no build (no matter what the announcers said), fucking awful no matter how good the match will be.

DID YOU NOT HEAR WHAT HE SAID "ALL BELTS!" THAT MAN HAS LUST FULL EYES FOR JOES ROHTV TITLE!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

could feel the chorus of groans live and at home with 'you don't know what it takes to be a superstar'. Everything she was saying at that point was so self involved and so ready for jeers. And her cocky looks out into the crowd don't at all feel babyface. All that said, that 'genuine emotion' carried her side thru. Tho, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some weird heat in this one at the PPV.

Yeah, I was trying to be diplomatic by saying it was an 'interesting dynamic' but you hit the nail on the head. It felt strange to have Saraya ostensibly doing the kind of promo you'd hear from like, a Dolph Ziggler or someone, with Britt doing almost a near-Hangman (in character, don't start) 'save AEW FROM you' thing. Crowd reaction at the PPV could go either way - could easily see Britt getting the homegrown respect pop, but the show is in Newark, and Saraya's return at Grand Slam just up the turnpike was one of the most insane reactions I've ever been part of. Should be interesting to say the least. 

8 hours ago, southofheavy said:

I wanna time machine Austin Gunn into early 90s Memphis so bad. Not that he needs to be runnin' around with that there Billy Joe Travis, but just imagine how fed up Dave Brown and Cory Maclin would get. 

That's a great call. I've always had similar thoughts about the Gunns and 2.0 in terms of being 80s/90s guys - the righteous indignation from Gene Okerlund toward them would have been some tremendous interplay (I'm guessing our difference in choice of announcer may be an age/geography thing, but all this to say, I'm with you). They're lower down the card, but I think you could drop guys like The Iron Bears (as they're now known in my house) and Nick Commoroto into that era with little issue. I know there may not be much clamoring for that style in the rest of the world at large, but It's a nice piece of the overall buffet.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Dave outlines some of the issues with that Saraya promo. He also takes a shot at Punk for doing similar? What am i forgetting? I remember some wwe references but nothing that didn’t work or buried one of the stars (not including the press conference).

He said in canon that hangman had never done anything, when he had been aew world champion and headlined multiple ppvs. Same deal, you’ve only been in aew you haven’t actually done anything. 

• Like 1

I agree that it's also shitty when Punk says it, but at least he and Danielson have reached "the top of the mountain". Now, I will freely admit that I haven't followed her closely, but what has Saraya done?

Britt has main-evented multiple times and had those matches generate a TON of buzz. Now, not talking strictly match quality, but has Saraya ever done anything that big?

• Like 1

This was a much better and much more normal week compared to last week. Not saying last week was bad, it was just very weird. As for Bryan vs Sammy, we all know Sammy can be a good worker, it's just that Sammy is also a shithead. Look, if they want to make Sammy better by having Bryan and other top workers kick the shit out of hold to mold him into something greater then I'm all for that.

I liked the Hayter vs Blue match, but something really stood out about Blue. She looks very awkward or tentative when she runs the ropes and when she does some moves. Like, there's something she's doing that clearly doesn't feel comfortable or natural to her. This stands out even more when she's in there with someone like Hayter. 

I haven't listened to the Dave clip yet, but having digested the promo overnight and then discussed again just now, I do just want to add that I do not in any way think this was ANY fuckery on Saraya's behalf -  just perhaps a symptom of her getting used to the idea of not being as heavily scripted as she was for the entirety of her career in the States. I mentioned last night that the emotion was great, but the delivery was shaky at times - the example I was thinking of when I wrote that, was when she's listing the the legitimate things she's been through, you could tell she stumbled over the words 'drug addiction' and this is complete, utter speculation here, but I honestly don't think it's because she was hesitant personally (she's pretty open about that stuff) but more a quick flash in her mind of an angry Vince in Gorilla yelling that it's not PG to mention dope. I wasn't there, don't know her, and could be way off, but that was my knee jerk reaction - I know no more than any of you guys. she's just taking the training wheels off again both physically and verbally, so I'm going to give her as much grace as a fan as humanly possible.

• Like 2

Surprised to see the polarised opinion over Britt/Saraya. The real emotion she showed when she said she was cleared hooked me into the rest of the segment and kept me there the whole way through.

Also, Danielson's grey in his beard is making him look like Old Man Hawkeye from Old Man Logan, especially if he now gets some sort of eye bandage to sell his vicious microphone to the orbital bone injury.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Log said:

I agree that it's also shitty when Punk says it, but at least he and Danielson have reached "the top of the mountain". Now, I will freely admit that I haven't followed her closely, but what has Saraya done?

Britt has main-evented multiple times and had those matches generate a TON of buzz. Now, not talking strictly match quality, but has Saraya ever done anything that big?

Respectfully disagree on this one, I'd call having your life story made into a movie, being youngest Women's champion ever, and that sort of thing a pretty big deal. I love Britt, loved watching her grow during the Dailys era, loved her as Champion, and am thrilled she is where she is today, but Saraya's got the edge here, IMO.

26 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Saraya thinks she’s Lou Reed in Velvet Underground and she’s about to release Transformer. There’s a pretty good chance she’s going to be Lou Reed with Metallica. 

Unfairly mocked and maligned, and heralded as a brilliant piece of subversive, intentionally challenging art by future generations? 😁

• Like 3

A lot to unpack here, and I'll edit it in later, but I just have to point out one highlight: I burst out laughing when Skye Blue went "Since I'm here, I might as well kick Rebel in the face", proceeded to do that and Rebel dropped like a sack of shit, despite only peacefully existing a mere second prior. That was glorious.

And a lot of other awesome shit happened too. More on that later.

...I tried to edit a bunch of stuff in, but the page froze and I lost all of it. Not typing it again. I'll just say Danielson finally proving he's a great wrestler by hitting a poison rana in a match was cathartic. I guess him actually winning in the end was, too!

Edited by Shartnado
lost a bunch of text so this is all I've got to say
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

Sammy Guevarra should cut out the highflying and just go completely Takeshi Ono.  He should fight for the ROH Pure title and they should just make the Pure Title division a  version of BattlARTS.

Just lost my shit for Sammy grabbing the ring bell and ringing it to get the jump on his opponent. Is Masao Orihara busy? Because if Sammy needs any help embracing his inner scumbag...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Respectfully disagree on this one, I'd call having your life story made into a movie, being youngest Women's champion ever, and that sort of thing a pretty big deal. I love Britt, loved watching her grow during the Dailys era, loved her as Champion, and am thrilled she is where she is today, but Saraya's got the edge here, IMO.

I'll give you the movie. That is a big deal. The Women's champ thing came at a time when the belt was still a butterfly and whatever Saraya did there was GREATLY eclipsed by the women that came after her.

I should clarify that I don't have any issue with Saraya or her feuding with Britt whatsoever. I just think they're approaching it from the wrong angle. If it's, "I've been on the shelf, gone through hell, and now I'm back and I want to go right after the best!", then I think that's a lot better than, "I'm a huge star and you're a nobody who never did anything and got everything handed to you!"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1