DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 11/9/2022

The Natural

Great opener. I loved the little Road Dogg/Bret spot from Dax and Colten. And I thought the Acclaimed having their music played and Bowens getting the pin was a really nice bit of booking to elevate them a bit closer to FTR's level (as very few are)

MJF promo was great. Not sure if this aired on the podcast, but I've got friends who listen that aren't wrestling fans, and I'm really curious to see their reaction to MJF (with or without promo).

I wasn't a big fan of the distraction finish in Kingston/E Page, but loved the match overall (and that Ego's edge off the top rope on was wild, Eddie is a nasty man). But, I gotta agree with my better half on this one: "I'm getting really tired of Eddie losing."

Squash was fine, but my stance remains the same: keep Wardlow the hell away from the mic at all costs. Great post-match angle with the Joe turn, and I LOVED Hobbs saying "I'll get you too, Joe!" I guess we're getting Wardlow/Joe before Wardlow/Hobbs, which is kind of backwards from what I thought would happen (I thought Joe's turn would come in costing Wardlow the TNT title vs Hobbs). Maybe they're going to unify the ROH TV/TNT titles (though I think it's wishful thinking on my part, it seemed deliberate that Joe didn't pose w both titles).

Some genuine emotion in that Saraya/Britt promo. Delivery was shaky at times but completely understandable. It was a really interesting dynamic with Britt being a heel yet playing the loyal defender against the invading threat in Saraya. That kick to set up the DDT was a little rough but I think hitting the mic at the end wrapped it up nicely. And I agree with all saying this was the best promo from her since her arrival for sure.

Give me more promos like Best Friends' here. From them and everyone else. In fact, just give them Rhodes to the Top's timeslot and let em do whatever they want. I liked Trent/Lethal but huge LOL at Satnam getting dropkicked and just… stepping off the apron. I liked a little bit of Jarrett's promo but yikes at the lack of reaction for that 'banana nosed circus' line. I was a little confused by the lack of guitar shot, not sure if that was a timing issue.

im surprised Jamie gave Skye so much, but they worked really hard here. Skye will get there soon, but I'm starting to get nervous we're going to miss the boat on Jamie with this Saraya/Toni detour as far as Britt goes. I read recently that they were waiting for Rosa to return to turn Jamie for some reason ,which could be total BS (and I hope it is) 

The main event was fucking incredible. I love the way they laid this out. The way Sammy got the first fall was awesome. That was always my strategy for Iron Man matches as a kid in the old Smackdown games, and I'd always hoped someone would work that into a match someday-- though the shot itself scared the shit out of me with Danielsons head stuff (which I recognize is likely exactly what they were going for). Absolutely cannot say enough about this one. Crowd elevated things big time here, too. Credit where it's due, Sammy worked his ass off - and Danielson was brilliant as always. 

Looking forward to being in the house next week in WWE country, but it's going to be real hard to top this one. Best show in a good long while. Super hyped for Full Gear, and I expect it to deliver big, finally putting the last nail in the coffin of the spectre of All Out. 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Fixes
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Saraya cut the promo of her career tonight, and managed to not let Baker’s shoot stuff overshadow her. Kudos to Britt for selling the announcement and DDT during Hayter’s match, too.

Also I don’t care about the Elite returning, even if I do miss Omega, and I’m curious if AEW has set themselves up for CM Punk chants at the Chicago Thanksgiving Eve show (and potentially from here on out in that city - if it happens). I’m sure most will disagree because the Punk hatred is strong these days, but I think it’s a possibility.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Great opener. I loved the little Road Dogg/Bret spot from Dax and Colten. And I thought the Acclaimed having their music played and Bowens getting the pin was a really nice bit of booking to elevate them a bit closer to FTR's level (as very few are)

MJF promo was great. Not sure if this aired on the podcast, but I've got friends who listen that aren't wrestling fans, and I'm really curious to see their reaction to MJF (with or without promo).

I wasn't a big fan of the distraction finish in Kingston/E Page, but loved the match overall (and that Ego's edge off the top rope on was wild, Eddie is a nasty man). But, I gotta agree with my better half on this one: "I'm getting really tired of Eddie losing."

Squash was fine, but my stance remains the same: keep Wardlow the hell away from the mic at all costs. Great post-match angle with the Joe turn, and I LOVED Hobbs saying "I'll get you too, Joe!" I guess we're getting Wardlow/Joe before Wardlow/Hobbs, which is kind of backwards from what I thought would happen (I thought Joe's turn would come in costing Wardlow the TNT title vs Hobbs). Maybe they're going to unify the ROH TV/TNT titles (though I think it's wishful thinking on my part, it seemed deliberate that Joe didn't pose w both titles).

Some genuine emotion in that Saraya/Britt promo. Delivery was shaky at times but completely understandable. It was a really interesting dynamic with Britt being a heel yet playing the loyal defender against the invading threat in Saraya. That kick to set up the DDT was a little rough but I think hitting the mic at the end wrapped it up nicely. And I agree with all saying this was the best promo from her since her arrival for sure.

Give me more promos like Best Friends' here. From them and everyone else. In fact, just give them Rhodes to the Top's timeslot and let em do whatever they want. I liked Trent/Lethal but huge LOL at Satnam getting dropkicked and just… stepping off the apron. I liked a little bit of Jarrett's promo but yikes at the lack of reaction for that 'banana nosed circus' line. I was a little confused by the lack of guitar shot, not sure if that was a timing issue.

The main event was fucking incredible. I love the way they laid this out. The way Sammy got the first fall was awesome. That was always my strategy for Iron Man matches as a kid in the old Smackdown games, and I'd always hoped someone would work that into a match someday-- though the shot itself scared the shit out of me with Danielsons head stuff (which I recognize is likely exactly what they were going for). Absolutely cannot say enough about this one. Crowd elevated things big time here, too. Credit where it's due, Sammy worked his ass off - and Danielson was brilliant as always. 

Looking forward to being in the house next week in WWE country, but it's going to be real hard to top this one. Best show in a good long while. Super hyped for Full Gear, and I expect it to deliver big, finally putting the last nail in the coffin of the spectre of All Out. 

What did you think of Skye Blue vs Jamie Hayter?

Great show I'll have more serious thoughts later. 

I really wish they would lean into the "Toni Storm and Jayme Hayter were former roommates" a lot more as the personal conflict for this feud. That stuff is so relatable. Did Jamie stiff Toni on the water bill after she was "going to visit her boyfriend in Portland for the weekend" and never came back? Did Jamie have months of resentment building up because Toni would use up all the Almond Milk and not replace it until she could run to Whole Foods? Did one of them decide to make a "funny" Wifi name that hurt a former roommate's feelings? I WANT TO KNOW!!!

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

The kicking of the leg by Sammy while getting the elbow is such a great sell. The little things while struggling or taking punishment can take the moment to the next level.

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Liking the new avatar, @Octopus! My fellow member of the Bryan Danielson is the Greatest Wrestler of All Time fandom.

haha, I was just gonna message you that I was gonna use that picture!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Octopus said:

The kicking of the leg by Sammy while getting the elbow is such a great sell. The little things while struggling or taking punishment can take the moment to the next level.

haha, I was just gonna message you that I was gonna use that picture!

Glad you like it, my friend xxx.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DEAN said:

What did you think of Skye Blue vs Jamie Hayter?

Ah man, you caught me in the two seconds before I remembered which match I was missing and did a quick edit!

19 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

surprised Jamie gave Skye so much, but they worked really hard here. Skye will get there soon, but I'm starting to get nervous we're going to miss the boat on Jamie with this Saraya/Toni detour as far as Britt goes. I read recently that they were waiting for Rosa to return to turn Jamie for some reason ,which could be total BS (and I hope it is) 

To expand upon that a little: the reason I was surprised it went long/Jamie was so giving is because, while I like Skye a lot, it baffles me how crisp she can be on certain offensive moves, but clunky on others. I'd have to watch it back, but I liked the opening punches by her, I thought some of her kicks looked really nice, Canadian was a great job by both of them - but literally in the same match there was an Enzeguri that looked like she got into the gummy bears marked "WARNING: NOT FOR CHILDREN." 

As for the second part, this is how long Jamie's been ready to turn on Britt: I remember talking about "Ah, it makes sense not to turn her here, so close to Wardlow's turn on MJF since they've got a semi-similar deal going on." Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was what, March or April now, and we're almost halfway through November? That's why I'm hoping it's fake newz about waiting for Rosa to return to turn Jamie. It's just not going to have the same gravitas if Jamie turns on Britt after she's already faced and possibly beaten Toni for the title, but it seems like that's the only way its going down, unless Britt costs her here somehow (but again: I really think you have to go with her here).

• Like 5

Hadn't realized this was Kingston's first Dynamite match since the barbed wire with Jericho in July, crazy. 8 man tag was solid. Hated Joe turning so abruptly and suddenly when it feels like last week's Rampage was the only time there had ever even been a slight tease. Hoped we'd get Joe/Jericho at some point over the ROH, now I wonder if Joe/Wardlow for the TV happens at Final Battle or if it ends up a triple threat winner take all scenario. 

Enjoyed the Saraya/Britt segment and Moxley's promo. Skye/Jamie was great, always like seeing Skye get a little more time. Main event was awesome. Lots of crazy spots and counters throughout, loved it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

Samoa Joe turning heel came out of nowhere. The announcers were mentioning some tension he and Wardlow supposedly had in the past weeks but I'll be dipped if I can recall any. Joe going after the winner of Hobbs/Wardlow to set up the next program would make a lot more sense.

I didn't expect it to happen this week, but Joe was definitely miffed when Wardlow shoved him out of the way when Hobbs came out at the end of Rampage. I feel like we've also gotten some looks by Joe during powerbomb symphonies, like he feels that Wardlow is showboating. There was something there, but it could have used a few more weeks to actually build to something

• Like 5

The second worst crime you can commit is dick riding with a suspended license. This was a very cohesive episode, and it felt like "things were happening". The Ethan Page push feels tangible and I think he's at least going to the finals of the tournament, probably vs. Starks. The Joe turn didn't feel early to me, maybe because the storyline is dragging, but man I want to see those three mix it up beyond a single match. TNT Title-As-Hossweight-Division makes sense right now. The Jamie Hayter situation is such that you'd have to imagine she'd be big babyface against a returning Rosa and could be a big face against Britt if Britt knew how not to bury faces in her promos. We'll see. The "Guys Who Had Their Best Match Against Danielson" count is getting to be absurd to a point where I don't even consider Bryan for stuff like Wrestler of the Year or Match of the Week, he's been operating on a different plane for like twenty years. Oh yeah and the opener was kinda all-the-way dope and a pretty great way to do an organic multi-team multi-title feud like thing.

• Like 6

Liked the Page/Kingston match a lot and it made complete sense both internally and as part of a larger story of the tournament. That Ego’s Edge looked dodgy for a second but it ended up really clean. Better to take your time and look a little goofy than, uh, paralyze anyone.

Liked the Saraya/Britt stuff a lot more than I expected and think that it is a genuinely big deal that she’s getting back into the ring. No real expectations about the quality of the match itself, but I do wonder if Saraya will be able to win the crowd over from Britt who is in that AEW Cool Heel space, through no fault of her own.

Confused by the Joe turn, but whatever. I don’t care. Sure! If it means those three clubber each other, I am into it and I understand if a) You want to get the title off Wardlow and b) You don’t want him to eat a pin.

Jarrett and Lethal stuff was whatever. Not great. Not much heat on it. I am sure the match will over-deliver, but not my cup of tea.

Blue/Hayter was fun! If she keeps improving at this rate, Skye will be a very natural upper-mid babyface. Fun stuff all over.

The main, to me, proved two things that maybe didn’t even need proving: 1. Bryan Danielson just pumps out great matches at any age, with any opponent, in any company like it was his part-time hobby. Effortless-looking like AJ Styles but with way more meat on those bones. 
2. Sammy is a good heel. He is what Austin Theory should be. He is what either Paul could/should be. Young, annoying, cocky, punchable face, reach exceeds his grasp but completely capable of being an integral part of an incredible match. I LOVE how much the Boston crowd hated him. Felt like it came from the bottom of people’s souls. I bet he splits for WWE at some point but he is really good as a foil for the AEW audience who hate every fiber of his being in earnest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1