DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 11/7 - 11/13/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Austin Theory better hope that Bray Wyatt would want him as a hanger-on because Austin Theory's best short-term avenue right now is "disillusioned young man lured into a cult"

Theory's second best avenue is probably "stooge for Baron Corbin". I haven't watched programming regularly enough to know if Corbin and Theory have interacted but Theory seems like he could fit as "dude that eats beatings as Baron Corbin gets away"

Remember when people said that Theory constantly losing was just the way heels usually dealt with MITB so that when they win it will be more amazing.   Yeah about that. it is clear Triple H either sees nothing in him or nobody in booking can reasonable justify him taking a title in anyway possible from Reigns.   Frankly sticking him in the Logan Paul match was maybe his only option 

Edited by hammerva

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

Remember when people said that Theory constantly losing was just the way heels usually dealt with MITB so that when they win it will be more amazing.   Yeah about that. it is clear Triple H either sees nothing in him or nobody in booking can reasonable justify him taking a title in anyway possible from Reigns in away possible.   Frankly sticking him in the Logan Paul match was maybe his only option 

They should have had Sami outsmart him somehow and use mind games to shoot himself in the foot. Sami must pose.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh yeah that's the stuff.  Give me three hours of them screaming at each other in Japanese.

I like how Asuka devolves into just screaming, "BAKA!" over and over again to make all the weeaboos happy...

I still don't know why so many people are speculating on Austin Theory when its always been obvious to me that HHH is burying him for being Vince's boy the same way Vince buried so many of his guys...

• Thanks 1

It really is hard to know if Theory "is buried" or that it is just a massive hard reset on something that never should have happened to begin with.   Nobody believes that Theory should have won MITB.   

If you look at Theory in NXT under Triple H, he was mostly portrayed as a dumb jock which I believe was working.  He and Gargano was a great pairing.  Especially given how that was kind of the perception of him in reality.   I think Triple H sees something in him but clearly not this version of him.   Hence the Kevin Owens promo a month or so ago.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SprintingFromAmerica said:

I think Theory would be better off on NXT, where he could probably have a good run on top given they will presumably move Breakker after Mania.

Theory doesn't need NXT, and we are at a point again where its at least 50-50 developmental. Theory doesn;t need a run at top. His character works on the main roster. He just isn't ready to be a main event guy if that potential is really even there for him.

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

Remember when people said that Theory constantly losing was just the way heels usually dealt with MITB so that when they win it will be more amazing.   Yeah about that. it is clear Triple H either sees nothing in him or nobody in booking can reasonable justify him taking a title in anyway possible from Reigns.   Frankly sticking him in the Logan Paul match was maybe his only option 

Its definitely the latter. I think this was the case even before HHH took over. They knew they wanted a fresh face to win MITB and Theory was that face. Then they quickly realized he is so not the guy who should be taking the belt off of Reigns. Where things differ is I suspect Theory might have grabbed at least one of the belts off of whoever beat Reigns had Vince still been in charge.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I find some Twitter links jump to a different one on my tablet.

Just reload the page. I have to do that half the time on Chrome because youtube and twitter posts will be misplaced.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

I think they could have built up a TV match with Roman.

Maybe get Gargano and Theory interacting a few times and Austin is all "I'm my own man now!" and to prove it he announces he's cashing in on Roman for the last Raw of 2022.

Build it up for a couple of weeks with sit-down interviews, Heyman and Sami trying to talk Theory out of it "for his own good", maybe Gargano and Candice actually tell him he's in with a shot?

Then you can do the match a number of ways:

If you want to build Theory up then you have Roman kick his ass but he doesn't quit. Go full Taker v Jeff Hardy with it.

You can have Jey try to interfere and nearly cost Roman the match by mistake.

If you want to send Theory back to NXT then you can have Roman hitting a Superman Punch and a Spear to win in 7 seconds before a new challenger (Lashley + Hurt Business) appears to close out the show.

• Like 1

Cord cutting is still ongoing and that problem will effect both AEW and RAW as time passes by.  Meaning more fans just dropping Wrestling as they give up on cable or even tv. 

I could post tv ratings but Nielsen is unreliable data and their accreditation was removed.

I’m thankful for lengthy videos and entrances, and wack-ass-promos on RAW. With my trusty FFWD button you won’t hear me complain. This week’s Raw opened like a Rampage – right in on the match, no entrances.

Riddle, New Day, Usos, young Solo Sikoa all provided excellent combat in the opener. I’m very into this Sikoa build. Another week, another strong JBL/Baron Corbin segment. I don’t know what Corbin was doing the past however many years, but he brings a terrific game in 2022. Lots to FFWD thru with Seth and 'Square Off 23' of the OC and Jughead day. I would’ve much preferred they went straight to the fisticuffs, and debuted Mia Yim with a proper save. As Was - the crowd seemed to see it as a sneak attack heel move and went pretty mild for the reveal of Yim. Nonetheless, I suspect she’ll be a nice addition to the feud, and moreso a good place to start for the rise of Rhea-mania. I really liked seeing Ripley immediately bumping heads with the Champion backstage as well. Is Elias the modern day Hillbilly Jim? I’d say he's a definite improvement in some ways, but Jim offered an ocean of charm. I skimmed Otis-Elias a lil, but was happy to see Otis pick up the victory. Oh dear, that Women’s talk segment featured a lot of awfully awkward mic work. Dakota really needs to figure some shit out with her mic game. Bliss is just brutal. Belair has room to improve. But then... 'Out of the fucking buh'loooo!'.... Asuka and IO completely save the whole thing. I like seeing Nikki Cross comingling with the Damagers. Nice promo inset between Theory and Benjamin. I like Theory more and more each week and liked seeing him pick up the win here. Oh man, Shelton seems ice cold out there. Maybe can we get that Cedric/Benjamin team going again, the tag division needs teams and maybe just put that Hurt Business deal back together. I never got a chance to see them. I did not FFWD thru the Miz segment. It was a fascinatingly awkward piece of work. Somebody in the back thinks Johnny Gargano is a 'real cool guy' and they're intent on pushing the idea. I don't sense it's working so well. The 'Johnny Wrestling' chant that Gargano stopped for might've been the quietest chant I've ever seen a wrestler stop for. I find this 'cringe' as the kids say, but I'm a bit fascinated by it all. Miz is good with whatever he’s given, but one wonders what he could do with better material? Not a surprise, the match is much better than the ‘creative’. Lumis is yet another of these kinda sorta fascinating sorta not quite working NXT projects. I was ready for Cross-Brooke, and it worked fairly well to further feel impressed by Nikki Cross - I mean, moreso in ring, the acting is questionable (maybe sorta bad-funny?). She also clearly missed the attempt to throw the title in the trash there. Of course, somebody will surely be digging it out of there. Regardless, I like the idea of tossing it in the trash. And then more OC! AJ Styles is a great in ring competitor, but talk segments seem to suggest he's sort of a lame dude, he should probably be a heel, no? I FFWD passed the singalong and Seth’s catchphrases. I stop for Big Bobby! He's looked really good brawling around with Brock recently, and great at the Saudi show. I’m getting into this angrier version of the All Mighty. Nice beal on Ali – great staging there. From there on out I loved this segment. I loved seeing Bobby kill Rollins, and I loved Theory cashing in here. Talk about ‘the crowd goes mild!’ Nobody seems to give a fuck about Theory cashing in here. I do tho, and enjoy all of this! Especially loved seeing Bobby come back out and kill young Theory. Then the Seth win. All excellent. That was easily the best Main Event segment since I’ve started watching Raw. I didn't see the Theory loss as any sort of burial. He's a cocky and brash loose canon prone to error, and it's exactly how he should be booked. And like every week that passes, I like him just a little bit more.

Fun show, but not without some brutally bad talk segments. With FFWD by my side, I'm not complaining.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, nofuture said:

Subtitled version.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but after this exchange, I checked Cagematch and it looks like Io and Asuka have never had a singles match against each other, which seems insane to me.  Is that true? And if so, would it be too much to hope that could happen at some point now that they're both on the main roster, or is there a reason that hasn't happened already (I saw people speculating elsewhere on the internet about them having a falling out)?

Sorry I'm late!  Goddam kids!  And DARK was super long (and good) tonight.  Cameron Grimes and Joe Gacey have a match!  Gacy looks good in this, beating Grimes' ass.  This match is good.  Gacy continues to whup up on Grimes during picture in picture.  Grimes is making Gacy look like true killer.  These two can both go.  NICE Poison Rana by Grimes.  NICE Tope Con Hilo by Grimes!  Ava Rain CHEATS and allows Gacy to win with a Lariat!  That was some good professional wrestling.  Sol Ruca is very new to wrestling.  Elektra Lopez is a little more familiar to pro wrestling.  Ruca is bumping pretty well for a rookie.  She is also a freakish athlete.  I dig Lopez' Choking Powerbomb Thingy.  Ruca is already bumping well.  She just needs to develop everything else but that is promising.  That was fine.  It's Charlie Dempsey!  He looks more like the son of Roger Daltry than Lord Regal.  It's Andre Chase!  So when does the world get Dempsey versus David Finlay or Dempsey versus Brogan Finlay?  Make it happen, HHH!  FORBIDDEN DOOR!  Or just sign Brogan.  Duke Hudson throws in the towel right as the match started getting fun.  Hank Walker takes on STACKS!  Stacks is almost exactly like Cole Karter.  It's probably for the best that they were separated.  Nice Pounce by Walker.  Stacks CRUSHES Walker's skull with knee to head, driving it into the mat!  It's a very developmental night on the NXT.  Oh this should be good.  Axiom takes on JD McDonagh!  They go completely Snakepit at the start.  JD McDonagh should be wrestling in New Japan or something.  His style is so not mainstream WWE style.  I guess the WWE embraces the European influence.  It makes WWE fun to watch, like the lucha and Japanese influence on AEW.  Jesus!  Axiom looks like he got like 28 feet in the air on the Springboard Moonsault to the floor!  This match is fucking GREAT.  Axiom is great flying into a submission.  Fun European Upper Cuts section, with Axiom getting in a great punch to McDonagh's face!  I like how this started all Snakepit and morphed into total BattlARTS.  It's Carl Malenko versus Carl Malenko!  GREAT finish!  That was fucking great.  Brutus Creed and Damon Kemp have a five minute time limit!  Awesome!  Five minutes of Steiner versus Steiner!  Brutus OPTS to beat on Kemp with a chair and it's awesome.  That's some fun.  Nikkita Lyons and Zoey Starks against Kayden Carter and Katana Chance!  For the belts!  Chance channels either Rey Misterio Jr or Mascarita Sagrada Jr, as she does the several rotations before the Rana!  This is quite the highflying affair.  Carter and Chance are the ladies version of the New Breed.  They do wacky double teams!  This match is so fun.  in picture in picture, Zoey Stark wants to go all hard-edged.  Chance and Carter hit a toprope Big Rig!  FOR TWO!  Fun nearfall by Stark!  Chance hits that Orange Cassidy counter.  C and C hit their finisher and win clean as a sheet!  I would move Lyons and Stark to the main roster now. ZOEY STARK GOES CRAZY AND TURNS ON NIKKITA!  YEA!  What a great episode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grimes/Gacy was solid.

Ruca/Elektra was short and decent. Ruca is improving a bit each match.

Chase/Dempsey was going well only for Hudson to cut things short with the towel. Fine as angle, but it sucks to see this cut short since Chase works better with Dempsey than expected. 

Hank/Stacks was pretty solid while it lasted. This was probably the best Walker has looked so far with Stacks bumping so well for him and Walker showing some nice angry power moments.

JD/Axion was awesome. JD did good work on the leg, and Axiom sold well along with hitting some great comeback attempts. The finish was disgusting in the best way. I can only assume Axiom is like Alexa Bliss and double jointed because that shit was crazy to do otherwise.

Brutus/Kemp was a perfect brawl/mauling. Loved Brutus saying fuck it halfway through and just beating Kemp's ass with the chair. It made perfect sense as winning and losing didn't mean shit here. Brutus being a man of the people and dishing out that last chair shot was great.

Women's tag title match was so so good. Dug Lyons busting out her power on Chance. Loved the double team moments Chance and Carter were pulling semi-regularly. And I loved that things ended cleanly this time around. Just good action all around with everyone working so well together in the end. It makes the post match kind of sad as I kind of wish they ran this a third time. Stark's heel turn was done well though I was hoping Nikkita would turn with her. 

44 minutes ago, DEAN said:

It's Charlie Dempsey!  He looks more like the son of Roger Daltry than Lord Regal.

First time I saw him on NXT I thought he looked like some weird lovechild of both guys. So happy I'm not the only one seeing Roger Daltry. It honestly makes me like him even more since he looks like such a mean bastard.

4 hours ago, The Idiot King said:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but after this exchange, I checked Cagematch and it looks like Io and Asuka have never had a singles match against each other, which seems insane to me.  Is that true? And if so, would it be too much to hope that could happen at some point now that they're both on the main roster, or is there a reason that hasn't happened already (I saw people speculating elsewhere on the internet about them having a falling out)?

They had their first and only singles on a house show a month or two back. Its on youtube. It was still up and easy to find via search last time I checked.

As far as their relationship goes the impression Io kind of gave a while back was that they weren't very close. There wasn't a falling out between them per say though there was one between Io and her older sister, Mio, who was the third member of their faction, Triple Tails. That falling out was likely one of Io's reasons leaving Triple Tails and joining Stardom 11 years ago. Io was young and probably a little dumb then, and they have since mended things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
13 hours ago, Eivion said:

They had their first and only singles on a house show a month or two back. Its on youtube. It was still up and easy to find via search last time I checked.

As far as their relationship goes the impression Io kind of gave a while back was that they weren't very close. There wasn't a falling out between them per say though there was one between Io and her older sister, Mio, who was the third member of their faction, Triple Tails. That falling out was likely one of Io's reasons leaving Triple Tails and joining Stardom 11 years ago. Io was young and probably a little dumb then, and they have since mended things.

Io was a lot dumb back then, dating Nosawa Rongai should be a good indicator of how dumb. She smartened up pretty quickly after the whole "SUGI planted drugs on them to try and get Nosawa's spot in Mexico" incident, to her credit.