DVDVR Message Board

2022-23 NCAA BASKETBALL

Dolfan in NYC

When I was 9 years old back in the glory days of the Big East(39 years ago), I gave Jim Boeheim the finger at the Fitzgerald Field House, didn't regret back the and would do the same today. It's hysterical that Pitt and Wake Forest who both are fighting to be 8ish seeds are the death of college basketball because they signed some transfers.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/jim-boeheim-says-he-calls-the-shots-on-his-retirement-claims-pitt-wake-forest-miami-bought-their-teams/

• Like 2

Boeheim is in that Lou Holtz stage where people just discount all the dumb and/or grumpy things he says  because he is too old to change.   Between this and yelling at student reporters and being average at best in the last 5 years, his time is way up

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

When I was 9 years old back in the glory days of the Big East(39 years ago), I gave Jim Boeheim the finger at the Fitzgerald Field House, didn't regret back the and would do the same today. It's hysterical that Pitt and Wake Forest who both are fighting to be 8ish seeds are the death of college basketball because they signed some transfers.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/jim-boeheim-says-he-calls-the-shots-on-his-retirement-claims-pitt-wake-forest-miami-bought-their-teams/

I noticed he mentioned Miami too. He can eff off as he's a hypocrite

https://insidetheloudhouse.com/2023/01/23/syracuse-basketball-adam-weitsman-offers-nil-deal-4-star-jalil-bethea/

Businessman, philanthropist and top SU booster Adam Weitsman tells me that he has offered a lucrative name, image and likeness deal to 2024 four-star guard Jalil Bethea from the Philadelphia area, who holds a Syracuse basketball offer and has officially visited the Hill.

Adam Weitsman tells me that his NIL offer to the 6-foot-4 Bethea is a six-figure offer with incentives that could grow this deal to seven figures. Weitsman declined to provide specifics about the length of this proposed NIL deal to Bethea.

As we noted in another recent piece, Bethea has made one of the largest jumps nationwide in new 2024 rankings from On3. That recruiting service moved him from No. 128 overall to No. 72 overall.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Boeheim just issued an apology (can't get the tweet to embed)

Hahaha, yeah, Jimmy B *totally* said that exact quote 100% of his own volition.  "I didn't mean to imply the exact thing I said."  Alright Jim, sure thing.  You've been an a-hole for 40+ years, might as well not change now.  

Also on Sunday, he was asked about retirement and said, "I can do whatever I want."  The same person who wrote his apology for the NIL undoubtedly got ahold of him for this one, too, and he backtracked with "As I’ve said many times previously, my employment as Syracuse men’s basketball coach has always been determined by the University."

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

watching a UNC-Greensboro game (because it's on ESPNU before a game more interesting to me [TCU/K-State]) and the Greensboro Coliseum logos at the ends of the court are still a really neat design.

Lot of the stuff that ESPN has the rights to ends up on ESPN+ or ESPN3 but the non-major conference games are always fun to check in on. Especially the college teams who look like they're literally playing in high school gyms. (UNCG is not one of those teams since the Coliseum is massive)

The UCONN women's basketball team lost back to back games for the first time since in 1993

The Huskies lost to top ranked South Carolina on Sunday and then lost for the first time ever to Marquette last night

• Like 1

I am only seeing this now but from the "stories you thought were done with..." - last Monday's Minnesota/Illinois game was postponed due to COVID

Minnesota didn't have enough players eligible. While they didn't specify how many players were ineligible, they only had 8 players for their prior game.

Game will be played Feb 20

New Mexico State men's basketball has canceled Saturday's game at Cal Baptist and suspended its season indefinitely following "new allegations" within the program, according to a statement from the school.

The new allegations involve multiple players being allegedly investigated for their role in hazing attacks on a teammate on more than one occasion, Stadium reported.

The school said in the statement that the new allegations have prompted an investigation by the university and led to the coaching staff being put on paid administrative leave.

The Aggies have been embroiled in controversy since November, when forward Mike Peake shot and killed a New Mexico student in Albuquerque in what police called a self-defense case after Peake had been lured to the campus. Per the school's statement, Friday's decision to suspend the season is separate from that case.

"New Mexico State University is suspending operations for the men's basketball program until further notice," the school's statement said Friday. "NMSU personnel were recently informed of new allegations, separate from the events that took place in Albuquerque late last year, involving potential violations of university policy. While those allegations are being investigated, the men's basketball coaching staff has been placed on paid administrative leave. The game scheduled for February 11 against California Baptist will not be played."

NMSU is just 9-15 in Greg Heiar's first season.

"The New Mexico State University Board of Regents were informed this evening of the suspension of operations for the men's basketball program," the NMSU Board of Regents said in a statement. "The board supports the action taken by the university leaders and is confident a full and thorough investigation will be conducted."

The Aggies had previously canceled the game against the Lobos in Albuquerque that had been scheduled for the day after the shooting, along with the Dec. 3 rematch in Las Cruces.

The WAC, which may have to consider scheduling adjustments as a result of the NMSU shutdown, also issued a statement Friday: "The WAC is continuing to monitor the situation at New Mexico State and at this time has no additional comment."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35633413/nmsu-men-hoops-season-halted-indefinitely-amid-new-allegations

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

NMSU has cancelled the rest of its season

ESPN is saying it was hazing with a police report filed for "false imprisonment, harassment and counts of criminal sexual contact" against 3 players.

Edited by Tabe

The WAC has forfeited NMSU's remaining 6 games

All the teams will receive a conference win (for tournament seeding purposes) but the NCAA will not recognize the victories in the team's overall records

Darius Miles' (not that Darius Miles) trial preliminary hearing is going on now and it's come out that his teammate Brandon Miller brought him the gun used in the shooting.

Nate Oats is taking a "boys will be boys" approach to accessory to murder and will not be punishing Miller.

Edited by Zimbra

11 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Darius Miles' (not that Darius Miles) trial preliminary hearing is going on now and it's come out that his teammate Brandon Miller brought him the gun used in the shooting.

Nate Oats is taking a "boys will be boys" approach to accessory to murder and will not be punishing Miller.

Miller also parked his car in such a fashion to block in the victims. 

I can't believe there's nothing to charge him with. He absolutely deserves to get kicked off the team for his involvement. 

And Oats should be fired if he doesn't kick him off the team. I feel like "we prefer that our players not help their friends murder people" is not an unreasonable standard. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Miller also parked his car in such a fashion to block in the victims. 

I can't believe there's nothing to charge him with. He absolutely deserves to get kicked off the team for his involvement. 

And Oats should be fired if he doesn't kick him off the team. I feel like "we prefer that our players not help their friends murder people" is not an unreasonable standard. 

And apparently another player also parked in a way to block them in.

Yeah I'm not sure how Alabama law has nothing to charge them with, but I really really hope Oats hadn't actually heard these details before he gave the answer he did, because otherwise... Yeesh.

• Like 1

Someone clearly pulled Oats aside and was like WTF because he released a statement later trying to walk things back

Oats later sought to clarify what he termed his "unfortunate remarks" after receiving criticism on social media.

In a statement released Tuesday evening, Oats acknowledged that his comments "came across poorly."

"We were informed by law enforcement of other student-athletes being in the vicinity, and law enforcement has repeatedly told us that no other student-athletes were suspects," Oats said. "They were witnesses only. Our understanding is that they have all been fully truthful and cooperative.

"In no way did I intend to downplay the seriousness of this situation or the tragedy of that night. My prayers continue to go out to Jamea Harris's family.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

And apparently another player also parked in a way to block them in.

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

Miller also parked his car in such a fashion to block in the victims. I

I think people should be careful about reading intent into this detail, which I see happening a lot. If the police believed Miller & Bradley were intentionally blocking the victims’ exit, they would 100% be up on charges as accessories right now. But the street where the shooting took place is a somewhat narrow side street between apartment complexes, where it would be very easy to unintentionally obstruct someone’s exit just by being in the road.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Someone clearly pulled Oats aside and was like WTF because he released a statement later trying to walk things back

That statement doesn't make him look a whole lot better. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EVA said:

I think people should be careful about reading intent into this detail, which I see happening a lot. If the police believed Miller & Bradley were intentionally blocking the victims’ exit, they would 100% be up on charges as accessories right now. But the street where the shooting took place is a somewhat narrow side street between apartment complexes, where it would be very easy to unintentionally obstruct someone’s exit just by being in the road.

You're right and we shouldn't jump to conclusions, but boy it feels like with this fact pattern anyone that wasn't a key player on the top-ranked basketball team in the country would be getting charged.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EVA said:

That detail by itself may be nothing but when you combine it with "hey, bring me my gun" (and what I'm sure was more conversation than just THAT) and then the shooting, it doesn't take a great leap of faith to see something nefarious in the parking. 

• Like 1

I certainly understand that you can read a lot into certain details of this situation, but Tuscaloosa PD has investigated the hell out of this case, and they have (among other things) Miller’s phone records and multiple videos of the shooting, including footage from Miller’s dash cam. If there was anything suggesting Miller was more than a witness to this event, his ass would be up on charges. This is not drug possession or disorderly conduct or any other kind of penny-ante charge that regularly gets swept up for college athletes. It’s not even an assault or a DUI. We’re talking about a capital murder jacket here. No police is turning a blind eye to that so a dude can play basketball. (Alabama doesn’t even care that much about basketball!)

If he hasn’t been charged at this point, it’s because his story has checked out and there’s nothing to charge him with.

BTW, Miller’s side of the story came out this afternoon via his lawyer, and he claims that his car was parked first, was not blocking the road, and the victims’ Jeep actually pulled up behind his vehicle. Again, the police have multiple videos of this, so it would seemingly be pretty easy to disprove that if it wasn’t true!