DVDVR Message Board

RAMPAGE- 11/4/2022!

DEAN

18 minutes ago, The Natural said:

FgxI0pMXkAEeI4i?format=png&name=small

Eddie Kingston vs. Ricky Starks please and thank you. Thinking Bandido takes it. Have to say it's a weaker line-up compared to previous World Title Eliminator Tournament entries.

Best Final: Kingston Vs Starks

Worst Final: Page vs Cage

Most Interesting Final: Archer vs Rush

Also, Rampage was the A Show this week, Orange/Shibata alone was better than the entirety of Dynamite, and Mike Tyson might've had the most earnest guest commentary appearance I've ever heard, he definitely was better than I expected.

• Like 4

Something that has never occurred to me before was that OC keeping up his casual schtick while getting wailed on by a mega badass would also make him come off as a badass. That was like some Martin Riggs sardonic grit.  

• Like 8

The fact that Shibata outright requested a match with OC should probably make OC's critics (you know who they are) reevaluate their viewpoint (they won't but they should). That is one hell of an endorsement.

• Like 7

That overdelivered more than Dynamite undelivered!

I actually don’t know Shibata, I have that huge 2004ish-2021 (with limited exceptions) gap in my fandom. But the video packages and announcers, combined with the in-ring action, got it across. Such a great match, got across the danger, OC’s mind games played a different role, they matched well and Shibata played along while also beating the tar out of OC. Tyson, oddly, added to the commentary.

Hayter/Baker vs Blue Rayne was almost miraculous. Britt and Madison paired together almost impeccably, which was especially wild considering how Rayne has been so far. And then Hayter and young Skye Blue just tore into each other, damn they worked well together, stiff blows and smooth moves. That singles match next week has serious sleeper potential.

I’m a Ricky Starks fan but that segment did no favors.

Main was another winner, Joe and Toa really synced, just beating the shit out of each other. Joe was better here than Wednesday. Kaun was probably the least tonight, partially because they kept Wardlow in reserve for hot tag when they work might pair better for long stretches. In the aftermath, Wardlow-Hobbs is a HELL YEAH but the tease of Wardlow-Joe was something to look forward to as well.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Oh man, we lost @Matt D 's thoughts on Rampage.  Matt, would you like to summarize again?

• Man, the Dutch struck and stole my post? It's been a long 24 hours but...
  • Biggest thing about Cassidy vs Shibata was how Shibata was really the first guy I've seen in AEW who had Cassidy's number when it came to the headgames. He's just too cool. To the point that I thought he should have won, which could have lead to Danielson beating Shibata and then touring wherever he wanted to defend it. Tyson seemed to know who Shibata was more than Cassidy but got pissy at Excalibur when he called something a leg trip instead of a STO which was amazing.
  • I think I didn't say much about the women's tag other than it was probably the best Rayne looked and that Baker vs Skye felt like a sort of fresh match up considering who Skye usually gets to wrestle. I'm definitely looking forward to the singles match.
  • Starks has a really fun path to the finals (assuming it's Starks vs E. Page in the finals), having to survive Archer and Cage. If they play their cards right, this is what might be able to really put him over the top. I like that he's got an almost conversational relationship with the crowd.
  • I'll be honest in that Toa feels a lot less special than he did a year ago just guesting on Dark. They could heat him up whenever they wanted to given his size and agility and presence though. I don't usually invoke "If only ROH had it own show..." but when I do it's not with some blatantly false comment about how there would be less Jay Lethal or more Miro. If there was a ROH show they could protect Toa more by having him crush guys. Totally different thing. Anyway, It's good to have Wardlow in situations where he can do all sorts of different things, but it's also important he's not selling too much in situations when he shouldn't.

I'll talk about Wednesday's card closer to Wednesday but I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Shibata-Cassidy with Tyson on commentary suggests anything can happen on (It's) Rampage (Baby)! I'd suggest this was an absolute success! Toni’s an okay talker, but she needs some better guidance with her direction – where’s Arn at? Oh, I think I might love the quick fix of a double turn with Hayter at the PPV. Tho, I’m swayed to stay where we're at with Jamie and the Doctor right after. Especially here after seeing them dismantle Rayne’r and Teenbeat Skye Blue. Yeah, strap them. Starks has the timing and ability to be a great mic worker, but not always material. Nonetheless, like most of his promo work – this was good. I like seeing promos here from the big players-Jericho, the Blackpools, etc. It’s a good way to get them on the Friday show and they should do it more often. I especially liked Sammy’s promo. I’m not generally into 3 or more ways, but two promos and I’m already sold. Sometimes it’s all it takes - and again it's something they should do more often. I am very excited by these Eliminator Tournament brackets. How does Ethan Page defeat Eddie? And when he does will the Wet Blankets then unite and take over (the Dynamite thread)? And fuck yeah I’ll take a Rush and a Bandido! Starks-Archer! Brian Cage-Dante! I love this! Ohhhh, I like a little Joe-Wardy tension! I also like a little Nana! This show is offering me everything I truly want and need from an early Saturday morning wrestling show. The main is just fine. I wanna get behind the Gates. I really like 'BISHOP' Kaun, and wanna see him blossom. To my eyes, Toa generally looks sloppy and lost out there, but I do sense some improvement. So game for Puh puh puh Powerhouse and Wardy! That Joe-Wardy tension is a lil bit thrilling too! I hated Rampages 44 and 43 (two of the worst broadcasts this company has ever produced), but 45 absolutely hit the spot! AEfuckinDUB!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

On 11/5/2022 at 1:56 AM, JLowe said:

I actually don’t know Shibata, I have that huge 2004ish-2021 (with limited exceptions) gap in my fandom. But the video packages and announcers, combined with the in-ring action, got it across. Such a great match, got across the danger, OC’s mind games played a different role, they matched well and Shibata played along while also beating the tar out of OC. Tyson, oddly, added to the commentary.

I'd not seen a Shibata bout either. I have seen a couple appearances post-retirement, and tho he wasn't wrestling he was absolutely electric. Clearly a very special talent. I always meant to take a dive into his catalog. If anyone knows of anything easily accessible online they want to recommend I'm all ears. 

29 minutes ago, Matt D said:
  • I'll be honest in that Toa feels a lot less special than he did a year ago just guesting on Dark. They could heat him up whenever they wanted to given his size and agility and presence though. I don't usually invoke "If only ROH had it own show..." but when I do it's not with some blatantly false comment about how there would be less Jay Lethal or more Miro. If there was a ROH show they could protect Toa more by having him crush guys. Totally different thing. Anyway, It's good to have Wardlow in situations where he can do all sorts of different things, but it's also important he's not selling too much in situations when he shouldn't.

Is it not true tho, that Toa feels less special a year later because he's been exposed as an underdeveloped-for-TV talent? I agree he has some size and presence, but his agility is a bit more of a question mark. His whole posture on offense and defense seems a little off to me. I really kinda wish they'd given Kaun more of a mentor to tag with. Bring back Tully! 

• Like 3

I had no idea who Shibata was either. But this was another OC gem. I imagine they maybe had to be light with Shibata considering his injury history. I loved that Shibata at times actually got under OC’s skin, which is the first time in at least a while I remember that happening. Great way for that match to go. OC is just the best. Tyson on the mic was also a blast.

I loved the women’s tag. Jamie Hayter is so great. I hope she wins the belt and they reverse roles with Britt being her muscle/heater since Britt is a fantastic mic worker and character worker. 

I love the Gates of Agony. Man, Wardlaw has suffered so much from the 48373747 titles in AEW. He looks less special next to Joe and whatever belt Joe has. 

Al the BCC vs JAS stuff went from being stale to interesting again. Jericho of Honor is a great angle. I wish it was the only ROH-adjacent title in AEW but Jericho holding it makes it a good prize. Sami’s promo against Dragon felt more like a babyface promo instead of a sleazy pretty boy heel promo.

They missed the boat on what makes Ricky Starks work, especially with Adam Cole out. Ricky would be a great cool heel because he can still get heat while being the coolest dude in the room. He should be a smooth operator before becoming the people’s champ. 

Fun show but AEW needs help setting up its hierarchy. Less belts. Figure out who is going to beat Wardlaw and Jade, even if it is still months away. He 

• Like 3

Jungle Boy should beat Wardlow. LA show in January at the earliest. Christian screws him out of the belt when he's healthy again. Though I wouldn't mind Wardlow -> Hobbs -> Starks

Best case scenario for ending Jade's streak is an open challenge answered by the surprise return of Kris Statlander, who just steamrolls her like Warrior did the Honky Tonk Man. But Stat's out 'til what... May? I don't know if I can take Jade treading water 'til then. The only option is the meantime is Hayter. 

Shibata in an interview mentioned having one other match, but he also mentioned that him wrestling for NJPW didn't sound realistic anymore. If that's the case and it's safe for him to go then AEW would be one hell of a fit for him.

That OC/Shibata match rocked too. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Shibata in an interview mentioned having one other match, but he also mentioned that him wrestling for NJPW didn't sound realistic anymore. If that's the case and it's safe for him to go then AEW would be one hell of a fit for him.

That OC/Shibata match rocked too. 

OC and Shibata should be a tag team.  OC is a great Ricky Morton and Shibata would be the most hellish Robert Gibson to ever grace the face of the earth.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Fucking hell, my Katsuyori Shibata recommendations were lost. Fuck.

I'll retype them for @JLowe, @HarryArchieGus and @Greggulator:

• Katsuyori Shibata/Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Togi Makabe/Wataru Inoue. NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling 2012.
  • Katsuyori Shibata/Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Togi Makabe/Wataru Inoue. NJPW Power Struggle 2012.
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tomohiro Ishii. NJPW G1 Climax, 4th August 2013. *****.
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW Destruction in Kobe 2014.
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tomohiro Ishii. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10.
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11.
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs. Kazuchika Okada, NJPW Shakira Genesis 2017. A ***** match minus the stupid shoot headbutt that nearly killed Shibata. Shibata's best ever match and one of Okada's as well.
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs. Zack Sabre Jr. NJPW G1 Climax, 21st October 2021. Nobody expected that.
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs. Ren Narita. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16.
Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2