Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Full Gear IV - 11/19/2022


Dolfan in NYC
 Share

Recommended Posts

Anywaaaaayyyyy...

I'm more interested to see what route they take to get to Britt vs Jaymie.

I was kinda hoping that after that finish, Jaymie curbstomps Britt into next week, you get the Britt face turn hinted at last week and an all time justified heel turn given Britts actions at Forbidden Door.

Now, I just expect Britt to continue unnecessarily interfering in her matches and helping her win against inferior opposition like Sky Blue, Rocking Robin, Leilani Kai Junior or whatever until Jaymie has enough of it.

I think Hayter should to be the heel here, justifiably or otherwise in character motivations as its something different after two consecutive dominant babyface title runs.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"...as performed by Kansas (the band which formed in 1973 and also performed the song Dust In The Wind, not to be confused with the Midwestern state of the same name which once hosted a Bobby Jaggers squash match, losing to Jim Neidhart at the Expocenter in October of 1989. Jim Neidhart was not in any incarnation of the band Kansas to be clear."

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

This is all good except I must have missed the incredible promos.

I'm being mostly sarcastic. His promo with Regal is top tier but it was all due to Regal. MJF by himself is a cover band of great wrestlers who give great promos: You hear the hits like CM Punk, Roddy Piper, Ric Flair, even Bret Hart, John Cena and The Miz. He's really not that good and he's largely annoying. His wrestling isn't much better and he tries to wrestle 'old school' but seems to forget psychology and basically is a grounded version of those indie wrestlers who do nothing but flips. His promo at the post-show scrum was insufferable and doesn't leave me a good feeling about what to expect from him going forward.

I feel that if MJF has a long title reign, AEW will lose a significant portion of their audience. Sure, Jim Cornette will be happy but who gives a damn about Jim Cornette?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Matt D said:

For the BCC, things zigged instead of zagged for various reasons. I was excited to see Kingston hate that Claudio got the win on Jericho and fight him. I wanted Danielson to come back from injury pissed that everyone was playing around and doing Madness poses. Before that I wanted Danielson and Mox to just run through everyone and be terrifying monsters that everyone had to try to face and then over the last month or two, I wanted Moxley to be an out of control monster champion. And instead, well, we got good matches. And it's ok.

This bit mostly encompasses where I'm at re the BCC. I was all in on them at the start. Danielson was fresh off his almost-but-not-quite heel run where he'd had a bunch of great matches bookended by good programs with Kenny and Hangman. The Yuta stuff made sense to try and elevate a younger guy and also give the group someone who can drop falls without getting hurt. And even though Danielson got hurt at a bad time, Claudio's arrival seemed like it was gonna kick-start things back up. Instead we got the endless Garcia shit (the matches were good, the angle wasn't) and Danielson drops all the falls.

No one's benefitted. Yuta's still just a midcard guy, Mox is where he is because he's Mox (and because of Punk's assorted issues) and Regal has, until now, just been around to do commentary during assorted BCC matches. And look at where Danielson is now compared to where he was before.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

 

I feel that if MJF has a long title reign, AEW will lose a significant portion of their audience. Sure, Jim Cornette will be happy but who gives a damn about Jim Cornette?

That's an interesting take. I've heard someone say that they feel he wouldn't been more effective if he never won the world title like his hero Roddy Piper . I don't know about that but he was the most over guy which if why that finish was so decisive as far as him being a Heel. With the last few title Reigns being cut short I expect atleast 2 PPV he'll walk in as Champ though. People say that when he wins the title it's not much further he can go. So I guess we will see because the fans really wanted it for him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

I'm being mostly sarcastic. His promo with Regal is top tier but it was all due to Regal. MJF by himself is a cover band of great wrestlers who give great promos: You hear the hits like CM Punk, Roddy Piper, Ric Flair, even Bret Hart, John Cena and The Miz. He's really not that good and he's largely annoying. His wrestling isn't much better and he tries to wrestle 'old school' but seems to forget psychology and basically is a grounded version of those indie wrestlers who do nothing but flips. His promo at the post-show scrum was insufferable and doesn't leave me a good feeling about what to expect from him going forward.

I feel that if MJF has a long title reign, AEW will lose a significant portion of their audience. Sure, Jim Cornette will be happy but who gives a damn about Jim Cornette?

I agree, the one thing MJF has mastered is the ability to get cheap heat.  I can see why some of the guys on here like him because they strive to do the same thing to pop their 2-3 friends on here. It's pretty sad.  

 

I don't see MJF having a long reign. He doesn't come across as someone you could   A: build your company on  or B:  Be the face of your company.   

Your casual person watching NBA or NHL and seeing a commercial for Dynamite would never guess MJF is their World Heavyweight Champion.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, LF2 said:

So now that Danhausen has brought back his trademark jar of teeth I’d like to see a brief backstage segment with him and Dr. Baker. That way we can find out who’s supplying him with said teeth. 

c07b269763ac1e900ad02539138f56e9.jpg

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Pedro said:

So good that months have gone by and I still am rent free in you and your boy Guerilla's heads. You guys must have really shallow lives.   

 

5 hours ago, Pedro said:

Kind of hard not to when there are also multiple memes of her sitting on the rope adjusting her hair and her top while waiting for Nyla to leg drop her.  If I'm being honest it was probably one of the top 5 worst AEW matches ever. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cristobal said:

This bit mostly encompasses where I'm at re the BCC. I was all in on them at the start. Danielson was fresh off his almost-but-not-quite heel run where he'd had a bunch of great matches bookended by good programs with Kenny and Hangman. The Yuta stuff made sense to try and elevate a younger guy and also give the group someone who can drop falls without getting hurt. And even though Danielson got hurt at a bad time, Claudio's arrival seemed like it was gonna kick-start things back up. Instead we got the endless Garcia shit (the matches were good, the angle wasn't) and Danielson drops all the falls.

No one's benefitted. Yuta's still just a midcard guy, Mox is where he is because he's Mox (and because of Punk's assorted issues) and Regal has, until now, just been around to do commentary during assorted BCC matches. And look at where Danielson is now compared to where he was before.

All of this. Bryan Danielson has only won once on AEW PPV, at Full Gear 2021 vs. Miro. That's a fucking crime.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

That's an interesting take. I've heard someone say that they feel he wouldn't been more effective if he never won the world title like his hero Roddy Piper . I don't know about that but he was the most over guy which if why that finish was so decisive as far as him being a Heel. With the last few title Reigns being cut short I expect atleast 2 PPV he'll walk in as Champ though. People say that when he wins the title it's not much further he can go. So I guess we will see because the fans really wanted it for him

I really wanted Moxley to have a long title reign as a heel. But with MJF as a heel champ, I'm not sure it's a good idea to 'book the win for the fans.' I really think a double turn last night where MJF changes his schtick up as a babyface and Moxley becoming more evil and devious (he could just bring out the turkey carver or a weedwacker since those are the last vestiges of the garbage indy fed he came from - it's a really dumb idea but can't be any worse than the other dumb ideas on AEW) just to keep the title would have worked better.

MJF's whole spiel as a heel is running down the town / garnering cheap heat. If they give him a year long title reign (or at least until his contract runs out) and have him do nothing but that, fans going to the show would get sick of it. "I'm going to defend the title tonight!" *fans cheer* "But not in a crappy town like (insert name of town). I'm taking the night off." That gets stretched for months and eventually people stop paying money to see AEW because the World champion won't do anything but talk about how it's his time.

MJF needs to change/evolve his character and this run-up for the title match was the opportunity to do that. Moxley's character also needed a change too. But no, TK books the show for a bunch of fickle fans who are cheering MJF right now and it's such a cluster of an ending.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My biggest issue with the main event finish is that it requires a huge suspension of disbelief:


- MJF pulls the referee into Moxley's path and the ref is down. MJF has the Diamond Ring. 

- Regal forces him to take it off. 

- MJF throws down the ring, then flips off Regal. We have a second ref. Moxley with a sleeper and he accidentally knocks down the second ref.

- Mox goes for the bulldog choke. MJF taps, but there is no referee.

- Regal sells his soul to the devil and hands MJF the brass knuckles.

It's a good thing that Mox hit the second ref by mistake. And that the ref didn't see or hear MJF tapping. Or that Regal only gave him the knuckles later on. This elaborate foolproof plan that goes on for months, and it goes to shit because they tried to be too cute about it.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

My biggest issue with the main event finish is that it requires a huge suspension of disbelief:


- MJF pulls the referee into Moxley's path and the ref is down. MJF has the Diamond Ring. 

- Regal forces him to take it off. 

- MJF throws down the ring, then flips off Regal. We have a second ref. Moxley with a sleeper and he accidentally knocks down the second ref.

- Mox goes for the bulldog choke. MJF taps, but there is no referee.

- Regal sells his soul to the devil and hands MJF the brass knuckles.

It's a good thing that Mox hit the second ref by mistake. And that the ref didn't see or hear MJF tapping. Or that Regal only gave him the knuckles later on. This elaborate foolproof plan that goes on for months, and it goes to shit because they tried to be too cute about it.

Apparently multiple wrestlers tried to tell Tony the finish was dumb but he wouldn't listen:

https://411mania.com/wrestling/backstage-notes-on-aew-full-gear-main-event-finish-jr-commentary/

Quote

Another finish was reportedly pitched by what was described as “several of the most influential wrestlers” in AEW. It’s unknown what the other pitched finish was. However, Khan was said to have felt very strongly on the finish that was used during the show and the direction it will take the storyline.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

So good that months have gone by and I still am rent free in you and your boy Guerilla's heads. You guys must have really shallow lives.   

I don't know. I think we can both agree that if someone gets banned from a message board (in 2022) for talking about wrestlers' personal lives, and then goes through the trouble of evading said ban while pretending he's someone else, that person would have a REALLY shallow life. Right?

P.S. Please find a "Pedro" post that bitches about Britt Baker, because I don't think one exists.

steve-carrell-michael-scott.gif

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

All of this. Bryan Danielson has only won once on AEW PPV, at Full Gear 2021 vs. Miro. That's a fucking crime.

If he doesn't want to win, are you gonna tell him he has to?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I've had substantial time to think about the show and I still think it was good. MJF is a heel people want to cheer for so he's gonna get even someone like Moxley being booed in a pretty pro-mox area. I think I would have liked it more if Regal himself was the one to knockout Moxley with the knucks, but it still worked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While this show wasn't too far off from the usual good output match-wise of all the other AEW ppvs from the past couple of years, I felt like the booking was considerably worse.

The pre-show ruled with the serious Danhausen payoff plus Eddie/Akiyama. Felt like Jun did a better job getting that mid 90s AJ co-main kinda match with Eddie than Ishii. No real surprise since that was Akiyama was a legit all-timer in his prime, and has been pretty smart about working within his limitations as he's gotten older.

The biggest positive the show was definitely the trios title match. Perfect execution of the Dragon Gate style with nonstop action start to finish. The finish was one of AEW's best, paying off Pac's semi-heel turn in an original and logical way. Fenix talking a big game about he's above cheating, but when it was use the hammer or eat the one-winged angel, he cracked in the heat of the moment. You could really feel Fenix agonizing over the decision afterwards while Pac and Penta tried to convince him he did the right thing. Absolutely perfect storytelling there. The big problem was instead of letting Death Triangle move on and work with this new dynamic, they immediately flash "LOL Elite Wins" on the screen with that best of 7 BS. Unless Fenix hammers DT to a win in less than 7, count me out.

Jade/Nyla was rough and Jade isn't ready to carry a program by herself as a face yet.

I don't know why Joe won the TNT title. Wardlow now is what Joe was in 2005, and Joe now is what Daniels was in 2005.

Hayter winning was the right call, but why with all the cheating? If the end-game is Britt turning, it makes sense for Hayter to win without help.

Same thing with MJF. Why would Regal discard his perfectly capable champ in his prime for a guy who got his ass kicked all match and had no shot of winning without help? MJF winning clean with a Regal post-match turn or just going full face by copying the Wheeler Rampage match except with MJF winning would've made a lot more sense. It's like TK knows who his future stars are, but either can't fully commit to them or is still extremely brain-poisoned from consuming too much 2000s WWE booking. Both star-making moments came off flatter than they should, and neither inspires a ton of confidence for future angles.

Also, on a separate note, anyone who gambles actual money on fucking professional wrestling is a moron of the highest order. It's always been pretty questionable to bet on real sports, but betting on a scripted show where it's well known that finishes have been and can be changed on the fly is next level dumb. Maybe I'm getting a little Sami-Zayn-ish, but I'm pretty sure such an audible was called in the main event with no blood. No way a deal between a pro-wrestling promoter and bookie doesn't involve a little "of course we'll call an audible on some bets with lopsided action for you."

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...