DVDVR Message Board

Full Gear IV - 11/19/2022

Dolfan in NYC

It should be noted that the top-of-their-division AEW champions are MJF, The Acclaimed, and Jamie Hayter. Young, organically over AEW originals who were in "pull the trigger" situations that the booking actually followed through on - and I guess it should be mentioned that they all got over as babyfaces by doing heel stuff, which is just the way of the world these days.

Other than Jade understandably second-guessing her ring gear (jesus christ) this was probably the best night ever for the women of AEW. Not just because of Jamie's win, also because Aubrey brought back the Part Pizazz. 

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

What’s wrong with Jade’s gear?

Also, I think Hayter has my favorite entrance music in wrestling right now. Like, it shouldn’t be, because it sounds generic, but there’s like this change in the music and beat that is infectious and it’s hard not to think of Hayter stomping out to the ring when hearing it.

• Like 2

For the BCC, things zigged instead of zagged for various reasons. I was excited to see Kingston hate that Claudio got the win on Jericho and fight him. I wanted Danielson to come back from injury pissed that everyone was playing around and doing Madness poses. Before that I wanted Danielson and Mox to just run through everyone and be terrifying monsters that everyone had to try to face and then over the last month or two, I wanted Moxley to be an out of control monster champion. And instead, well, we got good matches. And it's ok. Let's see what's next. I hope they go a different way instead of Claudio vs Jericho at the ROH PPV but it's ok if they go with that.

More PPV matches!

• Jungle Boy vs Luchasaurus: I was really into this! Honestly, I liked it more than either Mox vs MJF or Hayter vs Storm. Eddie vs Akiyama is its own thing and almost impossible to rank so just put it aside. They went around a circle early but then right into the blood and after that, it wasn't about using the cage as a prop but instead using it as a weapon, which is just what you want. Jungle Boy took a ton of crazy bumps and Luchasaurus didn't do any of his goofy "lucha" stuff, instead focusing on the Saurus and it was just a mean, hate-filled, violent cage match. The timing of Christian going for the keys absolutely worked and it allowing weapons to be introduced into the cage worked too. Maybe there was one or two too many things kicked out on at the end, but in this case, it was the end and not the means, right? The end of this match was to show Jungle Boy's toughness instead of shooting for any sort of epic-ness. The slow, grinding, groaning, desperate, impossible, brilliant pile driver could well be the most meaningful spot of the whole night. The emotion put into that was amazing. I don't know about the choice of going for an elbow drop instead of a splash at the end, just visually. And in order to get over that he was channeling something downright inhuman, I would have had Perry absolutely scream at the top of his lungs after hitting it but before the Snare Trap. If they can find Wardlow something else to do, it's time to toss Perry at Samoa Joe for the TNT title at the next PPV and have him win.
  • Jade vs Nyla: I liked this! Jade seemed to really care for the first time. I know some people didn't like the build but it really allowed for this. All the stuff on the outside was good with Nyla bumping all over the place for Jade. I loved the image of Nyla's hood falling over her head as she hit the big splash. The Beast Bomb was just a massive feat and I liked the finisher stealing stuff in general. It's not good for every match but if they pick one per show... well this was the one to pick. Jade comes off as a big deal but she doesn't usually connect for me. Here, she did after hitting the pump kick when she just let out a primal scream over everything Nyla had done to her and everything she was feeling and the triumph of surviving everything in this match so far and taking her pound of flesh and having her ready for Jaded. It was just this perfect, emotional moment of fury and exhilaration and the most that Jade has ever "lived" within a match during her career. If can continue to channel emotions like that instead of just follow a dance card, she's going to be great.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A_K said:

Now no - but it was possible. They ran the direct Wardlow / MJF conflict way too soon. That program should have been capped with Wardlow defeating Spears as sub-boss, earning his freedom and moving on, then being heated up to taking the TNT Title while MJF in parallel took the World Title. Then you run a Goldberg/Hogan style super-main of champion vs champion.

Instead, they heated Wardlow up with zero plan for what to do after, have let him go cold then dropped his title with no where to go. Meanwhile MJF already dropped the fall to Wardlow in comprehensive fashion. What could have been an epic top of card event down the line was fumbled too soon in the mid card. There is no compelling storyline for MJF right now as world champion. 

As with the Moxley/Danielson fumble after some great promo / character work with Regal, this comes back to Khan being the antithesis of a “long term booker”. All the programs that have the potential to be marquee angles for them are either hot-shotted way too soon with a wholly anticlimactic ending or simply fall by the wayside to be forgotten about and never seen again.

You and I both share the same thought about the lack of compelling programs for MJF as champion (at the moment). Bryan clearly doesn’t want the belt so if they feud it’s obvious Max goes over, Mox is overdue for time off, and I don’t see Claudio or Wheeler Yuta being a big money making feud. Jericho has the ROH belt, and I can’t see them turning him face just to fight Max again either. Kenny’s tied up for the next two months at minimum. Orange Cassidy has a belt so he’s out too. I’d be happy with an Eddie Kingston push, but I’m not sure that’s in the cards either. Both Adams being out at the moment kills two of their other possible options. 

So basically it looks like they might have to push Darby into that spot (as the next challenger), and based on their previous PPV match I’d be in favor of that. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

What’s wrong with Jade’s gear?

Also, I think Hayter has my favorite entrance music in wrestling right now. Like, it shouldn’t be, because it sounds generic, but there’s like this change in the music and beat that is infectious and it’s hard not to think of Hayter stomping out to the ring when hearing it.

She had to constantly check on it/adjust the top. I noticed it multiple times during the match.  But Jade winning was never in doubt.

Did anyone else get an early era Flyin Brian feel from Jungle Boy?  The comeback kid defying the odds against a larger opponent.  Makes me sad we never got Pillman Vs Sid 1 on 1 in a cage.

Regal tossing the knucks to MJF is stupid to me. Mox is the kind of guy who would want revenge on anyone that fucks him over and we surely aren't going to get a Regal-Moxley match.  

AEW is all over the place, they have Big Cass, Moriarty, Page all over the TV beating up MJF and top guys yet aren't even shown on the PPV?  Not that I am wanting to see Big Cass but still.  

It was a good show but nothing really surprised me outside of Jungle Boy's performance.  He looked like a star. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Pedro said:

She had to constantly check on it/adjust the top. I noticed it multiple times during the match. 

I have skin issues where the belt buckle rubs against my belly. So I sometimes where my belt not overly tight and throughout the day I realize I’ll be slightly pulling up my pants. Im glad to hear I have stuff in common with Jade.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I have skin issues where the belt buckle rubs against my belly. So I sometimes where my belt not overly tight and throughout the day I realize I’ll be slightly pulling up my pants. Im glad to hear I have stuff in common with Jade.

You also have something in common with Ronda Rousey then. 😭 I don’t get why female wrestlers struggle to get gear that fits properly much more often than their male counterparts. I (thankfully) don’t ever see MJF stopping mid match to adjust his shorts.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pedro said:

AEW is all over the place, they have Big Cass, Moriarty, Page all over the TV beating up MJF and top guys yet aren't even shown on the PPV?  Not that I am wanting to see Big Cass but still.  

I am going to chalk the lack of The Firm last night up to TK realizing “yeah, this is stupid and isn’t working” until proven otherwise. And that’s a good thing, right? Otherwise yeah it’s all nonsensical.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Did anyone else get an early era Flyin Brian feel from Jungle Boy?  The comeback kid defying the odds against a larger opponent.  Makes me sad we never got Pillman Vs Sid 1 on 1 in a cage.

Jungle Boy vs Satnam Singh, book it

• Like 2

Some people on T’other Discord were insisting that they saw MJF’s knob when he was pulling the Diamond Ring out of his trunks.

13 minutes ago, LF2 said:

You also have something in common with Ronda Rousey then. 😭 I don’t get why female wrestlers struggle to get gear that fits properly much more often than their male counterparts. I (thankfully) don’t ever see MJF stopping mid match to adjust his shorts.

Walter used to pull his shit up after every move. Skinny Gunther seems to have lost the habit though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I have to respectfully disagree with you and @Cristobal on BCC … They had a clear mission statement that greatly appealed to me (teach the young ones to hit harder and bleed more), they had three champions in their ranks at one point, they had really cool merch, they had a nice 'big debut' in Claudio. Just checked all the boxes for me. I don't disagree on what the original intent may have been, with regard to the Mox/Danielson two man team, but I can't get behind the idea it was terribly cartoonish. 

I think the question then becomes whether that “mission statement” is an appropriate use of 2 of your 5 biggest commercial draws who do not have so many years left on their clock? So for example, would it have made sense for a teased HHH/Austin 2-man program to be cooled so that they can fool around “teaching” a few mid carders? No - you just don’t dilute your veritable top-of-the-carders (which are like hens teeth in this industry), especially before they even have a program together. Nobody has come out of that looking better. Didn’t put Moxley over anymore than he was. Certainly hasn’t put Danielson over. Claudio has been a total non event. Wheeler .. don’t even know where that guy is right now. 

AEW have rushed through so many things - if Punk is truly gone, it is very hard to see where they go next for the compelling storylines. This looks like major drift in the making. We shall see ..

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Some people on T’other Discord were insisting that they saw MJF’s knob when he was pulling the Diamond Ring out of his trunks.

Walter used to pull his shit up after every move. Skinny Gunther seems to have lost the habit though.

I guess MJF wasn’t a good example then (even though I didn’t see anything last night, so I’ll take Discord at their word). 

I blanked on Walter, but seeing you mention it, that used to annoy me about him. He’s such a phenomenal performer, but that just takes me out of the match every time anyone does that.

40 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I don’t get why female wrestlers struggle to get gear that fits properly much more often than their male counterparts. 

They have twice as many things that need athletically support/to be covered up to be allowed on TV? Some of those things are way harder to keep strapped in than anything a dude has, stick right out of the front and exist near rotating arms and shoulders that most workers don't want sleeved-in? Wrestling creates a far higher number of wardrobe-malfunction circumstances than other athletic endeavors? Millennia of gender relations and politics have created an entertainment industry that rewards skimpiness? Which is only amplified by professional wrestling's historic demographics? Said gender imbalances mean there's proportionally less women in sports i.e. less priority in creating female athletic wear? I mean fuck man it's a LOT of things.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

For the BCC, things zigged instead of zagged for various reasons. I was excited to see Kingston hate that Claudio got the win on Jericho and fight him. I wanted Danielson to come back from injury pissed that everyone was playing around and doing Madness poses. Before that I wanted Danielson and Mox to just run through everyone and be terrifying monsters that everyone had to try to face and then over the last month or two, I wanted Moxley to be an out of control monster champion. And instead, well, we got good matches. And it's ok. Let's see what's next. I hope they go a different way instead of Claudio vs Jericho at the ROH PPV but it's ok if they go with that.

Totally agree! Feels like missed opportunities, instead we got the never ending JAS vs BCC feud 🤦🏾‍♂️. Remember the last ROH PPV ended with FTR beating the Briscoes in a 2 out of 3 falls match and then ROH Champion Cladio & ROH Pure Champion Yuta coming out to confront them to end the show? Absolutely nothing came of that 😒. Why did we get none of the Danielson/Mox team vs the tag division? Mox/Danielson vs FTR, Bucks, SIOG, Acclaimed, Lucha Brothers, etc. that was the way it started with them teaming and beating the lower tier teams. Even more recently what happened with Yuta-Danielson-Garcia-Jericho? Doesn't seem like there has ever been a clear plan for Claudio, just so many missed opportunities instead we just got good matches. Good matches are always good but the setup dictated more IMO. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AxB said:

The makers of the Fire Pro Wrestling games actually added a "taunt" for Misawa adjusting his tights by his waist!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

They have twice as many things that need athletically support/to be covered up to be allowed on TV? Some of those things are way harder to keep strapped in than anything a dude has, stick right out of the front and exist near rotating arms and shoulders that most workers don't want sleeved-in? Wrestling creates a far higher number of wardrobe-malfunction circumstances than other athletic endeavors? Millennia of gender relations and politics have created an entertainment industry that rewards skimpiness? Which is only amplified by professional wrestling's historic demographics? Said gender imbalances mean there's proportionally less women in sports i.e. less priority in creating female athletic wear? I mean fuck man it's a LOT of things.

I’m saying that somewhere between 80-95% of the female wrestlers on tv don’t seem to have any issues with their outfits. But for some reason Jade had a lot last night, and Ronda Rousey constantly does. 

I also respect your opinion, but at least in Ronda’s case there’s zero excuse for it. She fought in shorts in UFC and never stopped during a fight to adjust them (and yes I mean the exact same style she still wears). 

And yes I know women have more areas to cover than men, but in all honesty that only applies to the top of their attire choice. The bottom half for men still requires just as much coverage. 

Also the skimpiness argument is on the performer not the fans. I don’t see Jamie Hayter having gear issues, and based on at minimum the last two months of AEW TV she’s their most over female talent. In WWE Becky Lynch covers up plenty and she’s their most marketable woman. 

Rrrrrrroad Report!

The Prudential Center is perhaps the nicest sports venue I’ve ever been in. It still sucks, but not as much as the ones closer to me. 

It appeared to be close to a sell-out. Most of the empty seats were on the suite level. We were in the loft area hanging from the rafters and the rest of the lofts were packed too. In fairness to the negative Nellies, there were folks around us who haven’t been following the promotion closely and didn’t know some of the talent, which indicates either papering or the television programs are turning people off.  On the other hand, the crowd was more eclectic than most I’ve been in for wrestling, but they had a hardcore energy. There were women in their early 20s in front of us so invested in their favorites (The Elite and Mox specifically) going over that they were heartbroken when they lost. 

Pre-show opener was fine. Love That Dark Danhausen. 

Not much to say about Starks/Cage besides it didn’t quite look like Cage sandbagged him on the finish, but he didn’t really do him any favors taking it the way he did. 

I’m going to watch Eddie and Akiyama again because the general chaos of everyone getting seated was distracting. The acoustics and shitty sound meant we heard nothing anyone said all night, so I had no idea what Eddie was saying until I watched a clip of it. 

Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus was a hot opener that delivered. There were people talking about the spots that were lifted from Shawn/Taker’s HIAC match, which got me thinking about whether wrestling matches can truly work as pastiche pieces or if it’s too distracting when we can clearly see references. It didn’t ruin the match for me, but it was something to chew on.

The sound screwed us again with The Elite entrance. We couldn’t hear the song at all and didn’t know what it was until the crowd on the lower levels started singing. This was super fun and Kenny looks better than he did when he came back, so the extra time off worked out in that regard at least. The “Fuck CM Punk” and “Colt Cabana” chants were some of the loudest all night. It reinforced just how badly Punk screwed up to have such a uniformly negative response from people who were presumably ecstatic about his return. The young Elite fans in front of us were devastated at them losing and livid about the Death Triangle cheating. It was such a pure reaction, great stuff. 

The bathroom migration during Jade/Rose was insane. I’ll watch this one back because the indifference was palpable and killed it for me. 

The ROH title match was what I expected, great work between people I want to see in singles matches and then a lot of laying around. They did some cute stuff and I liked it but it’s not my kind of thing. Sammy is a wonder; the crowd started the match with powerful “Fuck Sammy” chants and then went apeshit for all of his offense.  

The Saraya match had a weird energy in the building because everyone was happy for her but did not care about the actual match at all. It was nearly as dead as Jade/Nyla besides a bunch of murmuring and occasional Good for Her type of  cheers. Britt and Saraya are both better matched with larger opponents that work different styles than them. 

The TNT title match was another one I’d rather see as a singles with any combination of Joe/Wardlow/Hobbs. Our section spent most of the match yelling, “Meat! Meat! Meat!” I assume they’re going to run some kind of title unification rematch and Wardlow will be AEW TV Champion. 

The old guy tag was barely a match, but we loved it. We had fun with shouting A Man Called Singh. Sting is God. It’s still Jeff Jarret’s world. Lethal looked great and felt like the glue of the match. Darby should be up at the tippy top of the company, he’s one of the best wrestler’s in the world. 

Hayter got some of the best reactions of the night, probably behind only MJF and The Acclaimed/Daddy Ass. Storm has been one of the most consistently good performers in AEW since she debuted. Britt’s better as Hayter’s second. I know that’s dismissive, but I enjoyed her spots in this more than in her actual match. It’s probably my match of the night. I’m so happy I was in the building to be part of it.

The Tag title match started off on a down note since we had no idea what Caster was saying. The match itself was pretty good, but I don’t think it touched their previous encounters with Swerve and Lee. A lot of the weird reactions towards the end of it that were perhaps audible on tv were due to a fight breaking out in a lower level. Security took forever to get it settled down and by the time they did the finish was happening.

We were fried by the main, but the crowd being molten hot for MJF got us reinvested. They kept it mostly simple, which was the right call on a night with a lot of tags and gimmick matches. We almost thought the timekeeper table was going to survive the entire show. I know this is antiquated in 2022, but it was weird how the roof came off for two title changes where the winner cheated like a motherfucker to put away their opponent. We were out right after the finish, but on the venue screens in the hallway it looked like some of the BCC came out to console Mox. 

We had a great time. I guess my biggest overall criticism is how much it felt like nearly every match toyed with traditional structures in some regard to stand out, but when everyone does it on the same card it’s taxing. Too many tag matches with barely any actually tagging and no disqualification matches. It created some great visuals and reactions though.

Special shout-out to the guy in our section who never sat down and tried to scissor everyone, and I mean everyone, for five hours. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Given how AEW came out the last PPV, this one was really good. Mox did a heck of a job putting the focus back on the ring, and Jericho's work since Labor Day has been nothing but great. MJF is over, and the storyline was well done. The BCC fallout could be great, with some natural storylines. I keep saying MJF is a new version of Piper, which is incredible conflict. 

35 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Pretty sure it's a work.

The diminutive fake-fighters scuffling & biting each other on the set of their television show was real after all? Is the TV viewership being cut by 40% and the arena attendances being decimated the work then? These things confuse me. I'm very silly. Thanks for keeping me up to date on these things.

Edited by A_K

Given how AEW came out the last PPV, this one was really good. Mox did a heck of a job putting the focus back on the ring, and Jericho's work since Labor Day has been nothing but great. MJF is over, and the storyline was well done. The BCC fallout could be great, with some natural storylines. I keep saying MJF is a new version of Piper. So many places to go with MJF, with the obvious Wardlow feud on the horizon. MJF and the Acclaimed as your main title holders is pretty great. And take the interim off the women's title. 

Interesting to see if AEW sees PPV as a way to blow off feuds, or start them. It feels like a mix bag most times. This one felt like a way to start new directions for the single titles in AEW, except for the TBS title. 

I like Jade, and her look is second to none. But her in ring work remains stuck to me.  Not clumsy but not graceful.  

Most of my wrestling love comes from puroresu. So, when I saw Kingston/Akiyama and the aftermath, there was pretty much nothing that was going to top that for me. Eddie showing genuine emotion from the pre-match promo all the way through the moment he left the ring afterwards was something to witness. I'm happy he got to have that experience. I did not follow Kingston on the indies but I can see why he generates passionate reactions among some of the posters here. I'm all for a Kingston world-title run after this match.

That said, there were some other nice little puroresu tributes I'll combine and ramble about for a second. I really liked Orange Cassidy using the PK after his match with Shibata. OC's growth as a wrestler and character in AEW is one of my favorite long-term things the promotion has done so far, and OC himself has been note-perfect in a lot of big matches this year. Since Shibata requested that match specifically, having OC take that move as a tribute makes sense to me. I also liked Mox throwing up Muto's "pro-wres love" hand gestures when he used the figure 4. 

I have mixed emotions about the women's interim title match. By the time Hayter and Storm were in the ring, there was a significant "big match feel" going, but I'd say that none of that was thanks to AEW. 100% of that credit goes to the wrestlers themselves. I do not have a dog in the fight with respect to some of the controversies that have followed Thunder Rosa around. So, nothing against her by writing this, but: Storm/Hayter should absolutely have been a decision match for the "real" championship. Both Hayter and Storm have been tearing it up lately, and both have earned the right to a legitimate championship run. The "interim" tag coming or going is meaningless; the story upon Rosa's return is the exact same regardless. She never lost the championship in the ring - it doesn't matter if she's facing an "interim" champion or the person who won the belt after Rosa was stripped of it. My next statement is no doubt influenced by the fact that I think this should've been a match for the "real" championship: the match didn't need the interference. Storm and Hayter were having a killer match until then, and Hayter winning via interference only takes away from the organic reactions she has been getting lately. It has been mentioned (by Tony Khan himself, I think) that the stance is that AEW fans can and should cheer for who they want. Yet sometimes, it still seems like AEW tries to swim against that tide a bit.

Edited by Teflon Turtle
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I have to respectfully disagree with you and @Cristobal on BCC. I thought it was one of the best stables anywhere in a really long time - part of me was hoping for something nearing in length to the Shield's run together. They had a clear mission statement that greatly appealed to me (teach the young ones to hit harder and bleed more), they had three champions in their ranks at one point, they had really cool merch, they had a nice 'big debut' in Claudio. Just checked all the boxes for me. I don't disagree on what the original intent may have been, with regard to the Mox/Danielson two man team, but I can't get behind the idea it was terribly cartoonish. They did the the early ROH tough guy shooter stuff but without leaning too much into the faux-MMA, Davey Richards kind of bullshit that would have made it cartoony in my book, and that's a tough balance to strike given the nature of the show 

It elevated Yuta (and that schmuck insult was just ridiculous) and Garcia, made the JAS 10x more interesting than they had any right to be when they started, hell BCC as a foil made Jericho more interesting than he’s been in years and helped him to a career year in his early 50s. Every match featuring a member of BCC was stiff AF and elevated the opponent in defeat. It gave Mox a purpose and a mission, and without that would he really have been able to be THE GUY to carry the company when shit kept hitting the fan?

• Like 8

Yep.  That’s what I expected.  A start to finish quality show that went a long way towards shedding its skin off all the hullabaloo.  

The Acclaimed make me happy.  Got some paying off of some storylines in the Lee/Swerve crash and the finale of this feud.  Glad to see Bowens tough it out with the injury (if it isn’t a work).  Bring on FTR.

Jericho sure is a treasure.  Every young roster should have a guy working in the locker room like him.  His level of experience is invaluable and the fact that he is tearing it up week in and out is something incredible.  Great match.  Loved the finish.  Probably a tie for my favorite of the show…

… as I really loved the Trios title match.  How were people going to respond to their return? “Fuck, CM Punk!”  Yep.  Agreed.

Really liked it being Fenix that got the fall on Omega.  Dude deserves a win that’ll elevate him.  Death Triangle should take it to the 4th and have The Elite have to scrape, painted into a corner for every win all the way to the 7th.  No point in doing a “best of” unless you’re going all the way.

Hayter getting the win was very rewarding as a fan.  Really invested in this wrestler after that awesome first match with Rosa.  Very good match to keep the momentum going.

Stiiiiiiiing!  Darby did the Stinger Hulk Up.  That double team on Singh blew the roof off my face.

Eddie whoopin up on Akiyama satisfies my sweet tooth for imports and guest stars.  Great time!

The cage match rocked.  Perhaps Jungle Man Perry can be next up or soon for a title shot.  

Loved the reaction to the Knux pass off.  Congratulations MJF.  Now the hard part begins.  

I love you, AEW.

• Like 6