DVDVR Message Board

Full Gear IV - 11/19/2022

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@Craig HI think you and I owe @DEANsome royalties tonight

To be faaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiir, I'd like some credit for busting out PRO WRESTLING MOTHERFUCKERS a few years ago when AEW was getting started, but stealing Dean's AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD just felt right tonight. I'm still in awe at how much Moxley and MJF beat the shit out of each other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Guys, I’m so down on the product right now ever since Punk left. Not helping my displeasure is that MJF just became their top guy, someone I don’t enjoy at all. So many things I do like, though. But Punk being gone has left a huge void (my personal feelings).

This is a weird experience for me 😂

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

You know, this really had a bit of everything.

Fun Shlock to start the show to get the crowd in the mood? Check.

Brutal Cage match? Check (Jungle Boy Jack Perry, you insane. you cray cray. You nuts!)

Strong-Style personified? Check. (eddie and Jun throwing bombs)

Matches that told a story? Check. Sweve in Our Glory's bustup, Britt vs Saraya

Many Meaty Manly Men throwing Meat? Check 1 (Joe), Check 2 (Hobbs), Check 3 (Wardlow)

Modern Day lucha-infused trios craziness? Death Triangle and The Elite

Crowd pleasing title change (Hayter)

Hated Heel squeaking by so you'll tune in next time hoping that next time he'll get his ass kicked? Jericho.

Collection of crazy-ass-moments? Sting and Darby vs Jarrett and Lethal. I gushed a while back about the Darby coffin drop off the ladder that satnam singh caught effortlessly, but Jarrett catching darby with the guitar on the way down, and Darby showing that he had learned Sting's no-sell, puts it to good use. Fun Shit.

And then the main event. Crazy main event that will provide the talking point and "NOOOOOOO!" moment. Regal giving MJF the Knux.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Craig H said:

To be faaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiir, I'd like some credit for busting out PRO WRESTLING MOTHERFUCKERS a few years ago when AEW was getting started, but stealing Dean's AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD just felt right tonight. I'm still in awe at how much Moxley and MJF beat the shit out of each other.

Ha, excellent point! Though, I have to say, I think tonight is the very first time I've ever beaten either of you on word count, so I'm doing a little of the ol' Barry Horowitz self-back-patting tonight in my house. 

In all seriousness, though, the reason for that is most likely because I'm feeling incredibly optimistic about things moving forward after a pretty tumultuous post-All Out PPV cycle in which I attended three TVs each with subsequently smaller crowds. The future is here - let's see if MJF vs Starks or Page can make it happen. Big returns ahead from Miro, HoB, Hangman, Adam Cole, Kyle O'Reilly. New video game cover art and footage! It was a good night, man.

Edit: and talk about a feel good night, that Eddie interview above. I didn't address the pre-show in my long ass post, but that match was tough to match in sheer emotion, just knowing what it meant. Kingston looks to be in better shape, too, and until I watched this I hadn't realized it had been a minute since a haircut/shave for him, and he's all cleaned up here - perhaps he was going through it a bit. Godspeed to him. Edit 3: His post-match promo also deserves a shout, he should legitimately do this to sell every PPV. He has a bright future post-active competition doing his version of Yonkers Dok Hendrix

Edit 2: @SirFozziegreat summarization, and I think that whole buffet idea proves my initial point about this show being IMO a real back to the roots, back to basics, do what they do best sort of affair. @CaseyI'm not busting your chops but was there legitimately nothing on this that grabbed you? I totally get the feeling because I've been up and down on AEW the last few months, but as you can tell from my keyboard diarrhea, I'm way, way high on this one. 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

We had a good time. I don’t know if it made tv, but one of the best parts of the night for us was when one of the security guards tried to follow Sting after the dive by climbing down the railing and fell. He landed square on his ass and then he popped up into a karate stance to try to make it look cool. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Ha, excellent point! Though, I have to say, I think tonight is the very first time I've ever beaten either of you on word count, so I'm doing a little of the ol' Barry Horowitz self-back-patting tonight in my house. 

In all seriousness, though, the reason for that is most likely because I'm feeling incredibly optimistic about things moving forward after a pretty tumultuous post-All Out PPV cycle in which I attended three TVs each with subsequently smaller crowds. The future is here - let's see if MJF vs Starks or Page can make it happen. Big returns ahead from Miro, HoB, Hangman, Adam Cole, Kyle O'Reilly. New video game cover art and footage! It was a good night, man.

Edit: and talk about a feel good night, that Eddie interview above. I didn't address the pre-show in my long ass post, but that match was tough to match in sheer emotion, just knowing what it meant. Kingston looks to be in better shape, too, and until I watched this I hadn't realized it had been a minute since a haircut/shave for him, and he's all cleaned up here - perhaps he was going through it a bit. Godspeed to him. 

Edit 2: @SirFozziegreat summarization, and I think that whole buffet idea proves my initial point about this show being IMO a real back to the roots, back to basics, do what they do best sort of affair. @CaseyI'm not busting your chops but was there legitimately nothing on this that grabbed you? I totally get the feeling because I've been up and down on AEW the last few months, but as you can tell from my keyboard diarrhea, I'm way, way high on this one. 

I’ve only watched Saraya vs Britt Baker since I do weekend night shift. And I’m on Reddit so I know about MJF winning, which no surprise, but he’s never done much for me.

Plenty of matches I’m interested in watching, for sure, but nothing screams out to me “WATCH RIGHT NOW”.

(Still more invested in AEW than WWE, tho)

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

only watched Saraya vs Britt Baker since I do weekend night shift. And I’m on Reddit so I know about MJF winning, which no surprise, but he’s never done much for me.

Plenty of matches I’m interested in watching, for sure, but nothing screams out to me “WATCH RIGHT NOW”.

(Still more invested in AEW than WWE, tho)

Ah, okay, I thought you watched the whole show and still walked away with that feeling, totally misunderstood. My inclination is to tell you to watch it in full, but I'm very obviously biased. I'll say this: at LEAST the opener, women's title, trios title, and main are musts.

More observations after cogitating for a bit-

Kind of surprised at the lack of blood. Jungle Boy got quite the gusher as was called for in that sort of match. Other than Toni Storm's hardway nose bleed, I don't think there was any other blood on the show. I saw someone say you could see a blade in Moxley's wrist tape and thought for sure someone was going to bleed in that match, but no such thing. Maybe I've just come to expect more of it on AEW's big shows or they're cutting it back to make sure it means something. Or the network is getting on them about it.

The booking seemed a lot tighter with finishes less reliant on big twists and fuckery on this show, especially with all the dissension amongst the various ranks. The trios match featured a heel cheating, there was interference in the women's title match, but not to the point it had a huge effect on the outcome, a (expected) turn in the tag title match, and a (again, somewhat predicted) Dusty finish in the main event. There were no big surprise debuts/returns or "moments" that overshadowed the matches, save Regal's turn.

I know this was just one location, but based on that crowd reaction Punk is either not coming back or is going to get an absolutely monster heel pop if he does. Then again there were all kinds of aspersions cast on MJF after his supposed walkout (granted that was a different situation) and look at how that shook out.

I just double checked and Final Battle is in a little under three weeks and there are no matches announced? Are we going to get another Eliminator Tournament (tm) starting next week?

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Duuuuuuudes. I'm watching the scrum now when I should be sleeping. Holy shit. Jack Perry is a fucking mess. His face looks like he went through the windshield of a car.

I thought I'd heard these weren't going to happen after the debacle at the last one. Has anything of note been discussed?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

More observations after cogitating for a bit-

Kind of surprised at the lack of blood. Jungle Boy got quite the gusher as was called for in that sort of match. Other than Toni Storm's hardway nose bleed, I don't think there was any other blood on the show. I saw someone say you could see a blade in Moxley's wrist tape and thought for sure someone was going to bleed in that match, but no such thing. Maybe I've just come to expect more of it on AEW's big shows or they're cutting it back to make sure it means something. Or the network is getting on them about it.

The booking seemed a lot tighter with finishes less reliant on big twists and fuckery on this show, especially with all the dissension amongst the various ranks. The trios match featured a heel cheating, there was interference in the women's title match, but not to the point it had a huge effect on the outcome, a (expected) turn in the tag title match, and a (again, somewhat predicted) Dusty finish in the main event. There were no big surprise debuts/returns or "moments" that overshadowed the matches, save Regal's turn.

I know this was just one location, but based on that crowd reaction Punk is either not coming back or is going to get an absolutely monster heel pop if he does. Then again there were all kinds of aspersions cast on MJF after his supposed walkout (granted that was a different situation) and look at how that shook out.

I just double checked and Final Battle is in a little under three weeks and there are no matches announced? Are we going to get another Eliminator Tournament (tm) starting next week?

I thought I'd heard these weren't going to happen after the debacle at the last one. Has anything of note been discussed?

No one ever said they weren't going to happen again. Just a bunch of people saying they didn't think the scrums were a good idea (they are).

And no, nothing of note was discussed, but there was a ton of good stuff in it. MJF comes in at the beginning and cuts a pretty funny promo that's Big Ern McCracken levels of absurdity. Hearing Jack Perry, Hayter, and Saraya discuss their experiences was really cool. 

• Like 3

If this is the end of the Blackpool Combat Club then good riddance. Moxley and Regal don't need it, it's done nothing for Claudio, they put all that work into getting Yuta over at the beginning and now he's doing nothing of note again, and the way Danielson has become a complete afterthought in AEW is borderline criminally negligent

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Good show throughout, only hated the finish.

Kingston/Akiyama was a joy to watch, knowing how much Kingston has wanted that and just cool to see Akiyama on US TV. 

Great win for Jungle Boy. I called the finish to the trios tag after Pac's last backstage bit, that he would've convinced at least one of them to use the hammer. Loved the Wayward Son entrance. Glad Jade finally has her title back.

ROH title match ruled. Bit on a few near falls but glad Jericho is hanging on, presumably until at least Final Battle. Bring on more former ROH champs in the lead up, Ishii works for me.

Thought Saraya/Britt was very good, nice to see Saraya do well throughout and afterwards considering she took all sorts of bumps and didn't seem very limited at all. 

Definitely didn't expect Wardlow to drop the TNT title but a cool win for Joe. Darby/Sting tags are always a blast. Love their double team finish of the Coffin Scorpion Deathdrop

Hayter/Toni was amazing and absolutely stole the show. Did feel a little bad for Toni to lose without ever becoming the 'official' champ but felt like a very earned win for Hayter. Near falls were excellent, loved Britt popping out of nowhere to stomp Toni's face in to the title as it just flowed really well from Toni just happening to land near the title like that. This was the best.

Tag title match was solid. the Swerve/Lee split was inevitable though I kinda wished they would've stuck together. 

Liked the main event overall as a match but absolutely hate the finish. Can't see any logic or reason behind Regal turning. "Don't you dare use that diamond ring!.... here's brass knux instead". The whole "Be your true self, real villain etc" stuff but rather than use your own signature thing, borrow Regal's instead. Also felt super weak and near unbelievable that, of all things, that one shot is gonna put Moxley down considering what we see him take and come back from on a regular basis - and even what MJF took in this match (f'n apron piledriver through a table, Super Paradigm Shift, etc). Did like that after the show went off the air, Claudio/bryan/Yuta came out to check on Moxley and seem to be explaining to him what happened. I like the idea of them all sticking together even if they have to awkwardly change the group name now. Don't really see what the Regal turn does for anyone. MJF going right back to the same old heel routine after sucks too with the typical "I fooled you all" stuff when people always expected this.  But as others mentioned, on the bright side, thankfully no Firm. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AEW Revolution 2021 was on my birthday weekend, 7th March at 1am.

AEW Revolution 2022 was on my actual birthday, 6th March but the 7th UK time, 1am.

AEW Revolution 2023 is the 5th of March but will be on my actual birthday as it'll be the 6th UK time at 1am. Cheers for the birthday present, AEW!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I ended up downloading it. 

Loved the cage match. Enjoyed the six man more than I anticipated (did JR call them the Lucha Dragons at some point?). Thought the TBS title match was better than I expected, but they missed a trick with the heel/face alignment. ROH 4 way was just a match, didn't mind it. Saraya match was bad, and actively made Britt look bad. 

At what point did they pull JR out of the booth?

Three way deserved more time, had the makings of something good. Be interested to see where it leads - I assumed Hobbs was winning the title, and then Wardlow would beat Joe at Final Battle. If they're unifying, please make it so.

Sting/Darby tag was better than it had any right to be - just didn't need to be here. Thrown together match that seemed pretty definite on the result/conclusion.

Hayter/Storm was fantastic. Even with all the weird false finishes as they did a great job of making Storm look unbeatable. 

Tag titles were great. Loved the show long story told with Keith and Rey Fenix. If Mox had stayed champ, or theyd gone all in with MJF as a face, I'd have liked to see Swerve as the next in line for a shot.

Fast forwarded through a lot of the main. I hope that Mox turns up on Dynamite wanting answers but gets put on the shelf by Yuta. I'd have Danielson and Claudio play defacto heel against Kingston/Ortiz and finally resolve that little program. That should give Mox plenty to do and get involved with when he returns.