DVDVR Message Board

Full Gear IV - 11/19/2022

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, LF2 said:

@Gordlow You had me thinking we could be friends until I got to the Jeff Jarrett portion of your post. I can’t believe you’re not a fan after all the great segments he’s given us over the years (and yes I’m struggling to think of some right now).

In all seriousness I like that I’m not the only one that’s going to be less than thrilled if MJF wins the main event. I think he can and will get better with more time, but for now his promos aren’t doing it for me either.

Who are you predicting to win the ROH Championship match? Personally I’d say Jericho since that would probably get the most buys for Final Battle. My best guess is  if Jericho wins he’ll defend against Adam Cole (I was going to say Kenny, but I can’t see them relegating him to ROH) at Final Battle.

Your pre-show match idea would be phenomenal if they actually run it. I’d love to see them given proper time, and tear the house down. 

Cheers! I tend to shy away from making predictions, partly because I don't wanna let being wrong interfere with enjoying the matches 😀 That being said, I am pretty invested in the outcome of a lot of these matches. I don't wanna hammer on it too much because I don't want to be one of those tiresome people who constantly complains that AEW is not catering specifically to their particular tastes... But it comes down to the whole Burger King/Small excellent burger chain Pepsi/Craft Cola Coors/Craft Beer Indie Punk Band/Major Label Punk Band crossroads that I can't help but frame AEW as being at now. Are they gonna stick with being a big weird indie promotion, or (as seems inevitable now) are they gonna shift into a more WWE-lite mode as they attempt to grow by following the "challenger brand" template. 

Selfishly, I want them to stay a big weird indie.

Jericho retaining seems more challenger-brand-ish (if you will) while Bryan winning seems more playng-to-the-hardcores-ish, even though Bryan was in WWE more recently than Jericho. So I'd mark out for a Dragon victory not just because he is one of my all-time favourites but also because it would signal (to me at least) that AEW might be leaning the way I want them to lean. Cynical me predicts a Jericho win. Hopeful me predicts a title change. Bryan winning would make me happiest.

I want Jamie Hayter to be presented as a bigger and more important star than Saraya or Britt Baker, or Jade, and a Hayter win would make me happier than a Toni win because I see Hayter as more homegrown AEW and Storm as more of a WWE import even though Toni Storm is obviously awesome.

So that kind of thinking colours every aspect of what I hope will happen on this show, whether I want to feel that way or not. 

Cynical me predicts a Regal turn and an MJF win which is presented as the biggest most important thing on the show and marks the real start of the Burger King AEW era. Hopeful me understands that Mox deserves some time off with his family and figures that MJF on top might just surprise me in a god way. Also, the match itself just might be excellent...

I really hope there are zero AEW PPVs with Jeff Jarrett on them but Eddie Kingston not. (Edit: also Orange Cassidy is not booked for the PPV yet, I think). I really hope Mad King fights Akiyama or someone awesome on this one, even on the pre-show (or he and Ortiz fight an awesome, unpredictable team). It's a weirdly big deal to me, and it's good to know I am not alone in that feeling.

I'm pretty confident we'll get Wardlow, Hobbs, Joe, FTR and Fenix all on the show one way or another, at least. No Shida, though. 😥

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Cheers! I tend to shy away from making predictions, partly because I don't wanna let being wrong interfere with enjoying the matches 😀 That being said, I am pretty invested in the outcome of a lot of these matches. I don't wanna hammer on it too much because I don't want to be one of those tiresome people who constantly complains that AEW is not catering specifically to their particular tastes... But it comes down to the whole Burger King/Small excellent burger chain Pepsi/Craft Cola Coors/Craft Beer Indie Punk Band/Major Label Punk Band crossroads that I can't help but frame AEW as being at now. Are they gonna stick with being a big weird indie promotion, or (as seems inevitable now) are they gonna shift into a more WWE-lite mode as they attempt to grow by following the "challenger brand" template. 

Selfishly, I want them to stay a big weird indie.

I remember during early TNA on spike people where up set that TNA was being more Low budget WWE than ROH with a bigger budget. Hopefully if Tony K is as smart as he thinks he is he see where trying to out WWE WWE got both WCW and TNA. There's a market for something other than else Stick to being PWG with a budget, a few laughs a few beers all out troubles are over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igG4OrblTeQ&ab_channel=Flexicon9

• Like 1

I'd argue that Khan cares more about Gordi's needs right now than Gordi cares about Khan's needs. Which is kind of funny when you think about it. Right now, Khan's needs are 1.) getting a TV show for ROH and 2) getting WBD to give him a big boost for AEW's new contract. Accomplishing both things gives him the room to be a little weirder.

That said, I think a lot of why AEW's suffered over the last nine months, past the injuries which I've documented elsewhere, is that they did push into a slightly more traditional space (and this is likely due to the injuries as much as anything else! and also maybe not all that much as it hasn't been THAT long since Forbidden Door and the ROH stuff is not what I'd consider 'traditional space' even if some of the execution might be).... is that Vince got the boot and WWE got less terrible. There was much more value in edging into WWE's space with competence and great matches and not punishing wrestlers and fans nine months ago than there is now.

I think Khan's still playing damage control after All Out (and again injuries!) as he precariously walks the tightrope towards a new contract.

Personally, I'm ok so long as the wrestling is good. But then again, I'm the guy here who thinks Takeshita is pretty terrible, so what are you even going to do with me?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, J.H. said:

The longer I look at the promo poster for Full Gear, the more convinced I am MJF is wrestling comedian Bert Kreischer 

James

Famous alcoholic and shirtless comedian Burnt Chrysler?

• Haha 3

Count me in the "MJF losing is the better choice" group. I feel like they really screwed the pooch the first time he lost to Mox. That should've been a huge growth moment for his character, and I feel like they let it get away. Part of me thinks the better story would be to have MJF come up short again, even after cheating, and go "find himself" as a character, with the payoff being that deep down he's still a piece of shit. We'd all be awaiting the big moment and instead it turns into a "tiger never changes his stripes" moment. I think you're again also faced with the issue of how strongly you've booked Moxley. It felt bogus when Punk beat Mox and I'm not sure there's any way to present MJF as victorious over Mox (short of The Firm hitting him with a semi) that feels earned. So little of MJF's character growth happens in the ring that I don't feel any sense that he's credible against a guy like Mox.

On the other hand, Mox never got his vacay. You could have the Firm screw him, The BCC be strife with infighting, and have Mox come back in 8 weeks or so like Michael Myers and just mow through the Firm in his way to a rematch. MJF tries to make him do the "task list" to earn his rematch and Mox is the only guy not to go for it. "No, I don't think I'm gonna do any of that shit. I think I'm just gonna show up here and kick your ass every week until I get my rematch." And he does.

Getting the title on MJF also means you can elevate guys like Starkman Jones and Jungle Boy as challengers. So there's that, too.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, just drew said:

Getting the title on MJF also means you can elevate guys like Starkman Jones and Jungle Boy as challengers. So there's that, too.

MJF, well his character at least, has always maintained for years that he absolutely hates New Japan and the Japanese style of wrestling

Bringing over Okada or someone else to take Max to a draw and earn his respect would be super

7 hours ago, zendragon said:

I wonder if Jericho retains so that he can be Champ on the new ROH tv show. If its on a turner network I'm sure they would want some "stars" and honestly I could see Jericho wanting to add rebuilding ROH inaddition to building AEW to he resume

I completely get the idea, and don't disagree with it at all, but I also don't see what that does to set ROH apart from AEW longterm (if anything, I think it sort of does the opposite - it's like the WCW/ECW Survivor Series team in '01 having Austin, Angle, and Shane on it). Other than the Pure title/rules, there's no real brand identity IMO - the style ROH was largely known for in the early aughts has sort of inched its way into becoming the norm, and almost all of their former key talents have been top stars at WWE and now AEW for years. At this point, I almost wonder if they should just WWECW it and call the show "AEW Ring of Honor." 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

Tony should've bought the library, singed the people he wanted to sign, unified the titles with his titles, and called it a day.

Why would he singe people? That’s not nice. It would hurt and they might get a nasty burn scar or something.

• Haha 6

48 minutes ago, AxB said:

Why would he singe people? That’s not nice. It would hurt and they might get a nasty burn scar or something.

Joe is a hobo. It's frankly amazing that they've found a computer or phone or some other device to post here.

Give 'em a break, ok? Life on the street is hard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Log said:

Joe is a hobo. It's frankly amazing that they've found a computer or phone or some other device to post here.

Give 'em a break, ok? Life on the street is hard.

That's what libraries are for, enabling hoboes to post on wrestling message boards and bathe. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

So is Daniel Garcia injured or something? Given how heavily he's been involved in the Jericho-Danielson feud it seems odd that Sammy is in the match and not him.

He just defended the Pure title on both Dark and Elevation. 

Tony Khan said the PPV will end at a reasonable time and will feature 10 matches.

Zero Hour has Brian Cage vs the winner of Starks/Archer.

He might make Toni Storm the lineal champ.

Lot of other info from the AEW Full Gear Media call if you know where to find it all.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Red King said:

Tony Khan said the PPV will end at a reasonable time and will feature 10 matches.

Zero Hour has Brian Cage vs the winner of Starks/Archer.

He might make Toni Storm the lineal champ.

Lot of other info from the AEW Full Gear Media call if you know where to find it all.

The finals of the Tourny have been moved to 11/23's Dynamite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1