DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2022

The Natural

43 minutes ago, AxB said:

Eddie Kingston vs Samoa Joe would be a good match, wouldn’t it?

I've been dying for more Eddie vs Monster matches since the Lance Archer mini-feud.  He's so goddamned good at selling and working from underneath.

• Like 3

As far as I'm concerned, Kingston is the best worker in AEW.  I agree with the sentiment that he deserves a World Title run more than anyone and I'll be honest, i initially wanted him to have a short-ish, fluke win just for the pop, but i think he deserves more.  Whether he wants more is another story all together, but no one is more deserving.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

i honestly never knew so many wrestling fans were financial analysts.  Crazy.  I feel like I'm in a Facebook wrestling group

Believe it or not, I'm actually studying business in college right now - so half of this stuff is right up my alley.

Hey Tony, if you're reading the message board right now - I am available.

Edited by Krone Meltzer
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Believe it or not, I'm actually studying business in college right now - so half of this stuff is right up my alley.

Hey Tony, if you're reading the message board right now - I am available.

He's already got Mookie doing this stuff. You want him to use another board member for it too?

• Like 2

AEW is running the old WWF model with no house shows so it's not all that difficult to piece together how they are doing.  Rights fees are relatively low and probably don't cover their overhead. Live tv costs a fortune. My understanding is Raw/Smackdown have traditionally been a money loser/break even. AEW probably makes solid revenue from the ppvs but who knows how far that money goes. 

I doubt if they are losing money it is because of personnel decisions. A couple million dollars here and there doesn't matter. 

They need a better revenue stream to be a long-term viable company. It can be a new tv deal, a streaming deal, a video game deal, etc. 

Can we give Ben the book? I'm here for bunkhouse matches every other week 🙌 

Let him brig in whoever for however long is needed to right the ship

Hmm, fucking buggy board formatting

32 minutes ago, Craig H said:

He's already got Mookie doing this stuff. You want him to use another board member for it too?

I'm underqualified and only joking, but my point does stand that I love this side of wrestling talk.

Also, Jade to confront Bow Wow on Dynamite this Wednesday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Eddie Kingston vs Samoa Joe would be a good match, wouldn’t it?

It happened a long time ago in this weird little promotion Fight Sports Midwest. They ran two shows in Portage, IN. Joe/Kingston main evented the first one and I remember it being quite good.

Here's the results of the two shows. Had some really interesting matchups:

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=8&nr=241&page=4

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Log said:

It happened a long time ago in this weird little promotion Fight Sports Midwest. They ran two shows in Portage, IN. Joe/Kingston main evented the first one and I remember it being quite good.

Here's the results of the two shows. Had some really interesting matchups:

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=8&nr=241&page=4

Damn, I bet Claudio vs Tank was fun as hell.

Also curious how they got Tiger Mask IV to work a random-ass show in Indiana.

• Like 1

Just now, odessasteps said:

Didn't Alvarez do shots for them, maybe as part of the feud with Sweeney? 

He did. He wrestled Sweeney on the first one.

I got these two shows on dvd and thought it was going to be the next big indie. Then nothing.

43 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I'm underqualified and only joking, but my point does stand that I love this side of wrestling talk.

Also, Jade to confront Bow Wow on Dynamite this Wednesday.

I am an old but what level of mainstream star is Bow Wow at this point? 

10 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I am an old but what level of mainstream star is Bow Wow at this point? 

He is more pseudo celebrity now. At this point, a lot of the top hip hop and R&B acts from the mid to late 2000s are going on the "everyone scrape some money together so we can all perform on one bill" concert tours that the hair metal bands use to and probably continue to do. He is one of the acts that are usually are on the bill. I mean I guess they still do okay with the 30+ crowd cause they been doing those things for years now. However, to at least a lot of the black audience on social media, he's more famous for being clowned on social media for being thirsty (just like the Jade Cargill thing) and attention seeking. See this for example.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, JLowe said:

I want to discuss something @just drewposted in the PPV thread, but it's more suited for general discussion, and something I've touched on before. This is all my opinion, of course.

"-Jade Cargill is a star that does star shit. I’m just not sure Nyla is the kind of matchup to bring it out of her. I’m all in on Jade, though, so it’s all good. Let’s maybe move her on to a fresh matchup."

Jade Cargill is absolutely a star, and someone who does/can get mainstream attention. She's learning in the ring, and has shown that she won't try and do something she isn't confident in. Her mic work (IMO) is pretty spotty, she's hung up on a couple of catchphrases that have been run into the ground.

The problem is, she's still green and not able to adjust on the fly if things go off script. She has to have a veteran hand in there to lead the match and build to Jade's spots, and make the audibles. She also (and I've mentioned this before) isn't working matches regularly enough to learn those things, as opposed to practicing moves and counters over and over again in a training session.

BUT, they are running a streak angle for her, and therefore none of the top tier (read: veteran) women can be involved in an angle with her because not only can she not lose, right now she isn't really doing much to make her opponents look good in defeat. The Athena situation is the most egregious, she had to go back to working Dark and working a killer heel angle to get some heat back. They brought in Madison Rayne which was a huge fail. The Mercedes Martinez angle ended with a decent match but buried Mercedes.

What can they do with Jade moving forward, if they remain committed to the rumor of Stat being the one to finally end the streak?

The Duh answer is work more off camera matches. This is kinda hard with the death of house shows. But I'd have her working longer competitive matches at indys and treat those as "non canon" while keeping here as Goldberg on tv.

Between Jade and Rick Ross AEW seems to really be getting traction on black/hip hop twitter. Maybe they've tapped an underserved market

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, zendragon said:

The Duh answer is work more off camera matches. This is kinda hard with the death of house shows. But I'd have her working longer competitive matches at indys and treat those as "non canon" while keeping here as Goldberg on tv.

Between Jade and Rick Ross AEW seems to really be getting traction on black/hip hop twitter. Maybe they've tapped an underserved market

A few years ago, Naomi’s Royal Rumble entrance and “Battle Royal entrance house afire” segment went super-viral on black twitter. WWE failed to capitalise.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, zendragon said:

As much as I am not a fan of stuff like The Breakfast Club and The Shade Room and a lot of the weird narratives being pushed on those platforms (with the former, recently, the idea black people need to get into crypto ain't really looking so hot right now), I can admit that is a bigger plus for a Jade Cargill than what I probably would have expected. 

I mean this whole thing with Bow Wow is helping his career more than her's really. Hell, in a few years, Bow Wow probably won't even be the most famous person in his immediate family. His daughter Shai, from a previous relationship with the lovely Joie Chavis, is already kinda a TikTok/social media star already. She is on the verge of easily eclipsing his celebrity. So he needs this more than Jade to stay relevant.

However, I do like and hope that AEW keeps a more nuanced approach. As much I love it today for the nostalgia factor, the HBO approach with KO Nation where we will have hip hop performances between B and C level fights and move boxing from late night to the middle of the afternoon didn't work. When 50 Cent and Jay Z did it with SMS Boxing and Roc Boxing respectively, it didn't work at all. Triller is still trying to jam rap in everyone's face. Still ain't working. You have to keep being subtle and also remember the actual content is still king.

All you need really is the rub from being around it.

• Like 3

AEW definitely has some star power with Jade Cargill. I saw that Cargill/Bow Wow thing on another site entirely, and I saw a link to the story from Blavity, too. 

She looks like she should be a star. 

• Like 4