DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2022

The Natural

22 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

i honestly never knew so many wrestling fans were financial analysts.  Crazy.  I feel like I'm in a Facebook wrestling group

"Common sense is lost on anti-AEW clowns"; "i honestly never knew so many wrestling fans were financial analysts". Chill out buddy - no need for the vitriol. Do not partake in the conversation if you do not want to partake.

Edited by A_K
  • Haha 1

That goes both ways. Can we get an "I hate AEW and it's dying!" thread, so everyone who wants to come on here and be a complete cunt about things can talk to each other there, and people who actually like watching wrestling can talk about it without this whole slough of despond trying to drag the mood down?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

34 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

i honestly never knew so many wrestling fans were financial analysts.  Crazy.  I feel like I'm in a Facebook wrestling group

“AEW’s gross = their TV deal + the Khan’s operating costs” has to be a new all-time low in AEW financial discourse.

Like, all discourse around AEW’s financials requires some degree of assumption and talking out of one’s ass, because it’s a private company and there’s a LOT we don’t know about what’s going in and what’s going out…But that one comment alone screams “I don’t even understand how business works, let alone how AEW’s business works.”

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

That goes both ways. Can we get an "I hate AEW and it's dying!" thread, so everyone who wants to come on here and be a complete cunt about things can talk to each other there, and people who actually like watching wrestling can talk about it without this whole slough of despond trying to drag the mood down?

Woah. "Let's forcibly shut down discourse because I don't like the sentiment!". Not sure that's the way to go to be honest. "Cunts", "clowns" .. anything else to throw out there? Pass over a comment or debate to the other-side; AEW gets credit (e.g. - Kingston / MJF would be a compelling storyline from two people who have built out unique & over characters), the question of why the tv audiences have abandoned in droves deserves conversation too (just as it did frequently & deservedly when the shoe was on the other foot with WWE). The world need not be candy floss or ash.

Civility wins the day.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think the one thing that’s really needed is to pull back on the name calling too. A poster calling people Anti-AEW clowns, then another using a more offensive word to describe others isn’t good conversation, and it won’t inspire anything good.

I’m all for people disagreeing, but at least be civil about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LF2 said:

I’m assuming you meant the other poster, but it’s true. How is calling other people an offensive word going to spark conversation? It’s only going to annoy people. 

If we’re being civil please do not quote my original posts before I edit them so people don’t know I mixed up reaping and sowing, revealing me to be dumb as hell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I’m assuming you meant the other poster, but it’s true. How is calling other people an offensive word going to spark conversation? It’s only going to annoy people. 

I agree with your point that the name calling doesn’t help matters.

That said…I see that you’re relatively new here (unless you’re an old poster who’s back under a new account), so you’re probably not aware that this is A_K’s bit. He pretty much exclusively shows up after AEW has posted a down rating, or some other bad news on AEW has dropped, to post wildly negative, arguably often bad faith, doom-and-gloom takes in hopes of starting these kind of arguments. It’s a pattern that’s been going on for years now (probably, who’s counting?), and people who’ve been here for a while are understandably tired of it. So some might have a shorter fuse for his posts than benevolent new members like yourself.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

That said…I see that you’re relatively new here (unless you’re an old poster who’s back under a new account), so you’re probably not aware that this is A_K’s bit. He pretty much exclusively shows up after AEW has posted a down rating, or some other bad news on AEW has dropped, to post wildly negative, arguably often bad faith, doom-and-gloom takes in hopes of starting these kind of arguments. It’s a pattern that’s been going on for years now (probably, who’s counting?), and people who’ve been here for a while are understandably tired of it. So some might have a shorter fuse for his posts than benevolent new members like yourself.

He's either Jim Cornette or my brother who listens to Jim Cornette.

• Haha 9

42 minutes ago, EVA said:

Account is dated 2016. "I don't agree with calling people cunts and clowns .. that said ..". I have posted plenty of positive AEW comments over the years when the direction and emphasis of characters has been good -- if you think they are on a good trajectory here with the decisions taken, all power to you. Time will tell.

Carry on y'all. Just remember to be civil; the social-hypocrisy is at its flimsiest when you are calling people cunts and clowns with no provocation other than "bad faith" (??) statements.

Edited by A_K

52 minutes ago, EVA said:

I am a new member. I’d read posts (mostly in the sports forums) for awhile, but I thought recently that joining would be fun. 

Plus from what I’ve seen this forum is much more civilized than anywhere else to discuss things I’m interested in. 

Now that you’ve told me that about A_K I’ll keep that in mind going forward. I’m of the mindset that what you’re describing isn’t helpful either. It sounds like they need to back off a bit, and the ones using certain terms should slightly back off too. 

One last thing. If I find someone intolerable does this board have an ignore function? I’m not wanting to do that to anyone yet, just curious for future reference. 

• Like 1

I want to discuss something @just drewposted in the PPV thread, but it's more suited for general discussion, and something I've touched on before. This is all my opinion, of course.

"-Jade Cargill is a star that does star shit. I’m just not sure Nyla is the kind of matchup to bring it out of her. I’m all in on Jade, though, so it’s all good. Let’s maybe move her on to a fresh matchup."

Jade Cargill is absolutely a star, and someone who does/can get mainstream attention. She's learning in the ring, and has shown that she won't try and do something she isn't confident in. Her mic work (IMO) is pretty spotty, she's hung up on a couple of catchphrases that have been run into the ground.

The problem is, she's still green and not able to adjust on the fly if things go off script. She has to have a veteran hand in there to lead the match and build to Jade's spots, and make the audibles. She also (and I've mentioned this before) isn't working matches regularly enough to learn those things, as opposed to practicing moves and counters over and over again in a training session.

BUT, they are running a streak angle for her, and therefore none of the top tier (read: veteran) women can be involved in an angle with her because not only can she not lose, right now she isn't really doing much to make her opponents look good in defeat. The Athena situation is the most egregious, she had to go back to working Dark and working a killer heel angle to get some heat back. They brought in Madison Rayne which was a huge fail. The Mercedes Martinez angle ended with a decent match but buried Mercedes.

What can they do with Jade moving forward, if they remain committed to the rumor of Stat being the one to finally end the streak?

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

I want to discuss something @just drewposted in the PPV thread, but it's more suited for general discussion, and something I've touched on before. This is all my opinion, of course.

"-Jade Cargill is a star that does star shit. I’m just not sure Nyla is the kind of matchup to bring it out of her. I’m all in on Jade, though, so it’s all good. Let’s maybe move her on to a fresh matchup."

Jade Cargill is absolutely a star, and someone who does/can get mainstream attention. She's learning in the ring, and has shown that she won't try and do something she isn't confident in. Her mic work (IMO) is pretty spotty, she's hung up on a couple of catchphrases that have been run into the ground.

The problem is, she's still green and not able to adjust on the fly if things go off script. She has to have a veteran hand in there to lead the match and build to Jade's spots, and make the audibles. She also (and I've mentioned this before) isn't working matches regularly enough to learn those things, as opposed to practicing moves and counters over and over again in a training session.

BUT, they are running a streak angle for her, and therefore none of the top tier (read: veteran) women can be involved in an angle with her because not only can she not lose, right now she isn't really doing much to make her opponents look good in defeat. The Athena situation is the most egregious, she had to go back to working Dark and working a killer heel angle to get some heat back. They brought in Madison Rayne which was a huge fail. The Mercedes Martinez angle ended with a decent match but buried Mercedes.

What can they do with Jade moving forward, if they remain committed to the rumor of Stat being the one to finally end the streak?

I don't know why there was the rumor of Stat ending the streak, before she was hurt she was angling for the women's title, Athena was the one who declared for the TBS

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, porksweats said:

I don't know why there was the rumor of Stat ending the streak, before she was hurt she was angling for the women's title, Athena was the one who declared for the TBS

The Women's title scene has kinda moved on while Kris has been out, and she's like the only top-level woman that Cargill hasn't beaten yet so it makes sense.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LF2 said:

One last thing. If I find someone intolerable does this board have an ignore function? I’m not wanting to do that to anyone yet, just curious for future reference. 

Quickest way is to hover over the person's name on the left side and it will give an option to ignore.  From there you can choose what to ignore and update preferences.  And don't be afraid to use that function as I have no problems ignoring fools such as the one being discussed on this page.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

The Women's title scene has kinda moved on while Kris has been out, and she's like the only top-level woman that Cargill hasn't beaten yet so it makes sense.

Oh I definitely don't disagree, I'd love to see Stat on top (TBS or Womens).

Speaking of injury returns, do we know how much longer Red Velvet or Leyla Hirsch are out for?