DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2022

The Natural

44 minutes ago, Mario said:

Tony’s not looking to smart too begin with if he was buying everyone plane tickets whether they were needed or not.  That’s one of the ways Bischoff pissed away money.

It's possible they're stuck with Phil since the company accounts don't have enough cash to cover a buyout of Punk's contract

That could be why they've been scrambling to free up money

18 minutes ago, Dog said:

Counterpoint: they keep signing guys. 

Take off the blinders, folks. 

AEW is taking in $100 million gross this year at a loss

WarnerMedia's contribution to the company's budget is $44 million annually

That means the Khan family is paying at least $56 million into the budget. So the company's budget overall is at least $100 million. If I'd have to guess, it's $144 million with the Khans throwing in $100 million annually. That means the Khans would be losing anywhere between $1 million and $44 million of their own money per year. Probably closer to $44 million annually since Tony said they need a significant influx of money to crawl out of the hole (significant video game sales or a new WarnerMedia contract with additional funding).

So does losing ~$50 million per year make Tony "smart" with budgeting, or does it just mean he can afford to be dumb

Edited by Dolphman 3000

Apparently only their US tv deal involves them making money and all the international TV deals are for ZERO Dollars. Their revenue from those Million Dollar live gates? ZERO Dollars! Merch sales? Zero Dollars. PPV buys? Zero Dollars!

Seriously man, grow a brain.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, AxB said:

Apparently only their US tv deal involves them making money and all the international TV deals are for ZERO Dollars. Their revenue from those Million Dollar live gates? ZERO Dollars! Merch sales? Zero Dollars. PPV buys? Zero Dollars!

Seriously man, grow a brain.

I just explained that the company isn't profitable - Tony himself has admitted that

Doing $1 million in ticket sales doesn't mean anything when you're losing your ass - of course he's going to throw those numbers out in public to make everything seem cheery

On 11/20/2022 at 3:31 PM, Raziel said:

WBD might be saying nice things about AEW, but they also said "We don't need the NBA" so, take their leadership with a grain of sait.

Zaslav saying that they don't need the NBA is probably up there with some of the dumb as fuck things Musk has been saying lately. Without the NBA they're basically USA, but maybe slightly better because they still have some baseball. 

Just re-sell the company to someone without a dog brain.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

I just explained that the company isn't profitable - Tony himself has admitted that

Doing $1 million in ticket sales doesn't mean anything when you're losing your ass - of course he's going to throw those numbers out in public to make everything seem cheery

You understand that billionaires get to write off their losses on shit like that, right? Like, that’s a big reason why people buy sports teams. You refuse to believe any narrative other than “TK is losing his ass.” Jesus. Change the record.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Here's TK talking about how AEW is on pace to gross $100M in 2022. https://tjrwrestling.net/news/tony-khan-aew-100-million/

It had also been reported previously that the thing keeping AEW from turning a profit was their investment in the video game, so we'll see how that goes. And yeah, insisting upon the narrative that AEW is bleeding money while pretending that live gates, foreign TV, PPV sales and merch sales don't exist is ludicrous, and frankly weird human behavior. 

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, just drew said:

You understand that billionaires get to write off their losses on shit like that, right? Like, that’s a big reason why people buy sports teams. You refuse to believe any narrative other than “TK is losing his ass.” Jesus. Change the record.

The Khans own two of the most valuable properties in the sporting worlds - a EPL team and a NFL team.  The roster for Fulham club is roughly equal to the entire cost of AEW.  TK's dad has been rather public he would prefer his children spend some of the inheritance now.  The write off for AEW goes against the the NFL revenue stream. 

• Like 3

Do we know when MJF's contract is up outside of '2024'?

I'd love for him to hold the title for the full calendar year of 2023 and begin to threaten walking out as champion if Tony doesn't pay him "more money than any wrestler in history".

This leads to a flurry of challengers culminating in Eddie Kingston taking the title from MJF in early/mid 2024.

During 2023 I'd think defending vs the other "pillars" (Darby, Sammy and Jungle Boy) is a must, as well as a Danielson match and getting back into Wardlow's orbit. I think Kenny as the 6th gives you a great defence to build up to every couple of months with the occasional TV match in between.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I'd love for him to hold the title for the full calendar year of 2023 and begin to threaten walking out as champion if Tony doesn't pay him "more money than any wrestler in history".

This leads to a flurry of challengers culminating in Eddie Kingston taking the title from MJF in early/mid 2024.

During 2023 I'd think defending vs the other "pillars" (Darby, Sammy and Jungle Boy) is a must, as well as a Danielson match and getting back into Wardlow's orbit. I think Kenny as the 6th gives you a great defence to build up to every couple of months with the occasional TV match in between.

I don’t believe for a second that he hasn’t already signed an extension.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

AEW is taking in $100 million gross this year at a loss

WarnerMedia's contribution to the company's budget is $44 million annually

That means the Khan family is paying at least $56 million into the budget.

That doesn't follow. Money poured into a company by its owners is not revenue. If their revenue is $100 million a year, and their contract with Warner earns them $44 million a year, then we can conclude they're earning $56 million a year from their other revenue streams, which AxB enumerated. Ticket sales, merchandise sales, international TV, PPVs.

Furthermore, if they're earning $100 million a year and they're not making a profit, that tells us their expenses are more than $100 million a year - but it tells us nothing at all about how much more. Attempting to guess how much the Khans are losing with the data that's been presented is purely making up numbers. (Especially since that $100 million figure is presumably revenue, not cash flow. As a new company it's likely their cash flow is worse than their profit/loss, but we don't know for sure.)

And while losing money for three years sounds bad, you have to realize that it's almost unheard of for a new company to be profitable in its first few years. If Tony Khan founded AEW thinking it would be profitable by now, then he is an idiot. But I don't think he is. Not in that way, at least.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

And while losing money for three years sounds bad, you have to realize that it's almost unheard of for a new company to be profitable in its first few years.

TNA was profitable from 2006-2009 - it made slight profits from 2006-2008 on the heels of the SpikeTV deal and then $9 million in 2009 before Bischoff and Hogan came in and blew everything up

11 hours ago, just drew said:

When they rebrand Daily’s Place as “the Elite Zone” and serve box lunches in catering, I’ll believe they’re in trouble…

Guess who was behind TNA moving to Universal Studios to save money...

Fgm2AtUUAAASF8x?format=jpg&name=small

1 minute ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

TNA was profitable from 2006-2009 - it made slight profits from 2006-2008 on the heels of the SpikeTV deal and then $9 million in 2009 before Bischoff and Hogan came in and blew everything up

Okay. Good for them, I guess.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Zaslav saying that they don't need the NBA is probably up there with some of the dumb as fuck things Musk has been saying lately. Without the NBA they're basically USA, but maybe slightly better because they still have some baseball. 

Just re-sell the company to someone without a dog brain.

It's negotiating through the media. They don't want to pay the NBA but they WILL end up paying the NBA. TNT cannot survive without the NBA. Without the NBA and AEW, that channel is a goner.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Guess who was behind TNA moving to Universal Studios to save money...

Fgm2AtUUAAASF8x?format=jpg&name=small

Jeff’s got a great mind for promoting and live event business. I’m not sure why you’re obsessed with the notion that AEW is in any way in trouble, but making the absolute hire possible for booking and promoting live events certainly doesn’t help your case. 

8 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Ironically I think the less that is spoken about on air, the more likely it is that he quietly leaves at some point over the next 18 or so months.

RE: AEW -- the biggest concern for them at this point is not finding a new deal for ROH, its keeping the existing Dynamite deal they already have. Big ratings week for them. Did not appreciate they went as low as 750k during the last show w/ the 800kish average. Given for a long time they were talking up getting more money on the next run, difficult to see how that tallies given the YOY comparisons at this point plus change in economic climate.

Edited by A_K