DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2022

The Natural

45 minutes ago, Octopus said:

It exists as a business and the purpose of it is to make money by providing for the consumer what the consumer wants.

AEW has never been a profitable business. If it has any hope at succeeding long-term (and Daddy Khan not stepping in to pull funding like Dixie's parents did with her), Tony needs to treat it like a business and not an e-fed.

I’m not well versed in financial talk, so maybe this isn’t helping the discussion on AEW’s profits:

Here’s the most recent link I could find on gross in 2022

Take that for what it’s worth and someone more knowledgeable than me can post a better link or provide actual numbers. 🤷‍♂️

edit: lol, I typoed and said “bereaved” Lolol wut

Edited by Octopus

6 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I’m not well versed in financial talk, so maybe this isn’t helping the discussion on AEW’s profits:

Here’s the most recent link I could find on gross in 2022

Take that for what it’s worth and someone more knowledgeable than me can post a better link or provide actual numbers. 🤷‍♂️

Tony's already said the company won't turn a profit until either the video game does impressive sales or the TV contract gets renewed in a couple years

Gross profit is the money taken in - they're operating at a net loss (expenses are more than the revenue being generated)

• Thanks 1

They really need that video game money.  It's why i suggested people should buy more than 1 copy.

TV renewal for AEW is in 2024. Negotiations start next year to renew televised shows and get the possible increase they want.

9 minutes ago, Raziel said:

WBD might be saying nice things about AEW, but they also said "We don't need the NBA" so, take their leadership with a grain of sait.

Warner’s Zaslav: “We don’t have to have the NBA”

The NBA’s future with its longest-tenured partner could be in question under penny-pinching Warner boss David Zaslav.

Discussing the rising cost of sports media rights at a conference Tuesday, Zaslav said Warner Bros. Discovery (formerly WarnerMedia) has favorable deals for the NCAA men’s basketball tournament, NHL and Major League Baseball Postseason and that “we don’t have to have the NBA,” per Joe Flint of The Wall Street Journal.

The NBA is by far the most expensive of Warner’s sports properties at an average of $1.2 billion per year, compared to $200 million for the NHL and $470 million for baseball. Warner splits the NCAA deal with CBS, which starting in 2026 will be worth $1.05 billion/year.

AEW currently gets $44 million/year from Warner for AEW - not sure how much they're expecting from the renewal.

2 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Tony's already said the company won't turn a profit until either the video game does impressive sales or the TV contract gets renewed in a couple years

Gross profit is the money taken in - they're operating at a net loss (expenses are more than the revenue being generated)

So its like Amazon or other business. Any money mad gets reinvested in the business. Not out of the ordinary or need for doomsaying

• Like 3

Just now, zendragon said:

So its like Amazon or other business. Any money mad gets reinvested in the business. Not out of the ordinary or need for doomsaying

They've been doing cost-cutting since last month by cutting down on flights for talent that's not needed and making them film promos weeks ahead of time

They're trying to stop the bleeding - the only questions are "how bad is it" and "can they survive until (if?) Warner comes through with more money"

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

They've been doing cost-cutting since last month by cutting down on flights for talent that's not needed and making them film promos weeks ahead of time

They're trying to stop the bleeding - the only questions are "how bad is it" and "can they survive until (if?) Warner comes through with more money"

Is it “cost cutting” not to buy 80 plane tickets a week you don’t need? Or is it smart? I imagine most talent would rather not fly across the country just to  tape vignettes. When they rebrand Daily’s Place as “the Elite Zone” and serve box lunches in catering, I’ll believe they’re in trouble…

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, just drew said:

Is it “cost cutting” not to buy 80 plane tickets a week you don’t need? Or is it smart? I imagine most talent would rather not fly across the country just to  tape vignettes. When they rebrand Daily’s Place as “the Elite Zone” and serve box lunches in catering, I’ll believe they’re in trouble…

Common sense is lost on anti-AEW clowns.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Common sense is lost on anti-AEW clowns.

Tony’s not looking to smart too begin with if he was buying everyone plane tickets whether they were needed or not.  That’s one of the ways Bischoff pissed away money.

• Like 1