DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2022

The Natural

Is what TK is doing really different than most other promotors? Vince (rich kid) inherited it from Dad. Heyman came into a lot of money then the rest was history with ECW, now TK with AEW.

Like.... running a major wrestling company takes money, can you really fault him for chasing his dream since he had the opportunity?

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I'd say TK has more in common with JV Rich than Vince or Paul or Jim Crockett Jr. 

Gordon Scozzari...

Unraveling the myths of Gordon Scozzari

“He’s talking like an obsessed sheet reader. He wanted to book the best show possible,” Ginzburg says. “He wanted to bring in names that meant a lot to him and the hardcores and the guys that think like him.”

“In the wrestling business, if you’re a novice, and you’re new, the guys, when they find out that you’re willing to pay an exorbitant amount of money for talent, then they tell other people,” Henry says.

In a business where promoters wield almost all the power, Scozzari wanted to be the anti-promoter. He wanted to be fair and reasonable. It didn’t work. The wrestlers took advantage of his people-pleasing naivety, gouging him for every last dime.

“[Scozzari]’s furiously booking that show for months and he’s calling me, ‘I got this guy, I got that guy,’” Ginzburg explains. “I’m like, ‘Gordon, nobody knows this guy in America. The guy’s from England, nobody knows him.’ I go, ‘Yeah, TNT is big in Puerto Rico, but nobody knows him in New Jersey.’”

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 2

Never understood the hate for Khan; unless people are just jealous they aren't in his shoes. The guy has done so much for wrestling as a whole. Say what you will about the quality of shows and whether they're your cup of tea or not - but he's done and tried to do nothing more than bring all wrestling together.

If I was in Tony Khans shoes, I'd have done the same exact thing and I bet there are tons of wrestling historians/fans on here who'd share that same sentiment.

• Like 14

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

igeSsXmL?format=jpg&name=small

Spotted this and thought of @Casey.

leave the memories alone 😭😭

I found a comp tape of Punk’s entire run, with his guest commentator spots, promos, etc included. I think I’m going to get it. That August 21 to September 22 run was SOOOOO good. Fuck.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Never understood the hate for Khan; unless people are just jealous they aren't in his shoes. The guy has done so much for wrestling as a whole. Say what you will about the quality of shows and whether they're your cup of tea or not - but he's done and tried to do nothing more than bring all wrestling together.

If I was in Tony Khans shoes, I'd have done the same exact thing and I bet there are tons of wrestling historians/fans on here who'd share that same sentiment.

It's not hate, it's that people can see the trajectory of where the ship is headed

Rich people can't set aside their hubris to stop history from repeating itself

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

It's not hate, it's that people can see the trajectory of where the ship is headed

Rich people can't set aside their hubris to stop history from repeating itself

Hopefully, that ship is going where the Bruise Cruise is headed.

What is going on with all this doom and gloom, and why can it not be confined to one thread?

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As if anything here gets contained to one thread, even when asked. 😀

Well, see that's the problem. If and when someone does ask and it doesn't happen, there might be one or two people whose avatars mysteriously get turned into Johnny Cash. Trying to pass on some words of wisdom.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Any particular reason this account is relevant?

Just saw #CMPunk and #WrestlingTwitter on my Trending Now feed.

Nothing deeper than that tbh. Show me where in my post I said the account had any relevance beyond the hot take? Can you point out why you think I think it's relevant?

Wait don't tell me you're someone who goes through entire feeds on every random ass tweet that gets linked, do you? Fucks sake I can't imagine what that must be like for those OnThisDay accounts where they just recap old ass wrestling clips or even Retro wrestling accounts 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Casey said:

leave the memories alone 😭😭

I found a comp tape of Punk’s entire run, with his guest commentator spots, promos, etc included. I think I’m going to get it. That August 21 to September 22 run was SOOOOO good. Fuck.

The Punk-Dax singles match in Austin was great. That was also when Punk first did the “belt” sign. Between that and the official start (and naming of BCC) it was a pretty significant taping.

• Like 3