DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2022

The Natural

AAA Set To Go Head To Head With AEW Next Month

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that AAA is set to go head-to-head with AEW next month with their upcoming event in Acapulco.

AAA will broadcast their December 28 show live with English commentary. The commentary will be live and not remote like with Triplemania last month. It’s believed that it will be on FITE, as it has in the past, but this has not been confirmed. That date falls on a Wednesday, the same night as AEW Dynamite (and a subsequent Rampage taping) in Broomfield, CO.

AAA and AEW have a working relationship and have used talents on each other’s shows in the past. Several AEW stars will be on that Acapulco show, including FTR (defending against Dragon Lee & Dralistico), Bandido (challenging Hijo de Vikingo for the AAA Mega Championship), Sammy Guevara and Tay Melo (defending their titles against Octagon Jr. and Lady Shani and Komander and Sexy Star).

If AAA-USA takes off and they take all the lucha talent with them, how fucked is AEW exactly?

MLW just announced they won't be using any AAA talent going forward and are trying to partner with CMLL - I wonder if that's related

Edited by Dolphman 3000

4 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

AAA Set To Go Head To Head With AEW Next Month

If AAA-USA takes off and they take all the lucha talent with them, how fucked is AEW exactly?

MLW just announced they won't be using any AAA talent going forward and are trying to partner with CMLL - I wonder if that's related

AEW signed Bandido and Rush, who else have they used in the last year (which is since I've been watching)? They have a lot more Japanese talent and connections.

• Thanks 1

If attendances decline further in the future for AEW TV shows, then AEW probably will switch to taping in the Dynamite Zone at some place. Saves costs. Gonna be harder to make crowds of only 1000 fans in the usual booked buildings look good on tv, if the attendance numbers get that low.

5 hours ago, Red King said:

If attendances decline further in the future for AEW TV shows, then AEW probably will switch to taping in the Dynamite Zone at some place. Saves costs. Gonna be harder to make crowds of only 1000 fans in the usual booked buildings look good on tv, if the attendance numbers get that low.

I think your exaggerating quite a bit. 3000 - 4000 is about what they're doing for TVs.

I'll go on record as saying unless something catastrophic happens, he's not doing the filming in one location thing for Dynamite. The optics of doing that are far worse than the optics of having smaller audiences. He's dead in the water if he does a reverse TNA and starts on the road and ends up in one building. Unless there's a pandemic again or they lose the WBD deal and are legit on the brink of bankruptcy because of no TV (almost impossible for a billionaire by the way) zero percent chance of that.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I think your exaggerating quite a bit. 3000 - 4000 is about what they're doing for TVs.

I'll go on record as saying unless something catastrophic happens, he's not doing the filming in one location thing for Dynamite. The optics of doing that are far worse than the optics of having smaller audiences. He's dead in the water if he does a reverse TNA and starts on the road and ends up in one building. Unless there's a pandemic again or they lose the WBD deal and are legit on the brink of bankruptcy because of no TV (almost impossible for a billionaire by the way) zero percent chance of that.

They love touring, how else do we get such varied talents on Dark/Elevation?

The local scenes of where they're going.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Oh my god.

The quotes.

"I probably would have aimed for TV networks that didn’t have wrestling,” noted Khan. “If you told me when I was a kid that there would be a time when there was no wrestling on TBS and TNT, and that we would be the ones doing it, I would have thought we’d somehow bought WCW."

“My parents basically told me that if I went to the school, they’d give me anything I wanted, so if I told them the one thing I really wanted, I would get it, and then I would go to the school, and it would be a win-win for everybody,” said Khan. “I ended up getting the one thing I really wanted, which was to go to Philadelphia for the ECW Arena show"

As the 1990s gave way to the 2000s and then the 2010s, Khan continued to indulge his hobby of e-wrestling no matter where his life took him, whether it was to the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, or into the world of legitimate business. Over that lengthy stretch of time, Khan scripted, timed out, and submitted more than 1,000 wrestling shows for his small audience of e-wrestling aficionados, while adding more content into the mix that would one day receive a tangible form.

“It was probably around 2011 when I wanted to do more great wrestling matches every week, so in my fantasy wrestling league I created a second show,” said Khan. “Incredibly, that was Rampage. I actually had a third show that never came to fruition, but it was kind of fun, and it was called Tuesday Night Tag Team Fights. I had these different shows, but Dynamite and Rampage were always the primary shows. I have done Dynamite since 1995 and Rampage since 2011.”

Rich little shit gets gifted a wrestling promotion to fulfill his e-fed fantasy, and at one point he believed his dad could buy WCW

The fucking entitlement on display

My god

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

God's Hate - Brody King's hardcore band - played a show in Brooklyn last night and a whole lotta AEW talent went, including Darby and Danny Garcia in the pit most of the night. That fucking rules. 

https://twitter.com/SquaredCirclPit/status/1593478484835401730

Hey, I just saw Fallujah and Psycroptic at the Meadows. Nice venue, but they won't let you keep a tab open. 😕

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Oh my god.

The quotes.

Rich little shit gets gifted a wrestling promotion to fulfill his e-fed fantasy, and at one point he believed his dad could buy WCW

My god

Or, to spin it the other way: Isn't it awesome that a true wrestling nerd, like many of us here on these boards, has decided to use his fortuitous circumstances to live his pro wrestling nerd dreams? It's cool because he still has his love for it, and those of us so inclined benefit because we get to see things like Kingston & Ortiz vs Takeshita & Akiyama. Good for Tony Khan, living his best life in a way that makes other's lives better as well!

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

“There was a guy who passed away years later who was in the fantasy wrestling league I was in with my regular e-wrestling friend, and I remember him saying this so well,” began Khan. “He said that we were writing for an audience of just each other, but in a way we were writing for 10,000 fans or 5,000 fans that were in the arenas of these imaginary shows. Somehow you can still tell when stuff is over or not over with the fans, which is funny because they’re not real! But he was right! My other friend and I had never articulated it like that before, but he was right. That spoke to me.”

I stared at that paragraph for a while. I think I get it, but what a way to make that point.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Oh my god.

The quotes.

My god

To be fair, by 2001 my dad could’ve bought wcw at the cost wwe got it for…

• Haha 5

It’s still wild to think of young Tony Khan being on RSPW, what a cesspool that place became.

It’s probably already been mentioned before but I have no doubt he was a regular reader of the Death Valley Driver Video Review.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JLowe said:

It’s still wild to think of young Tony Khan being on RSPW, what a cesspool that place became.

It’s probably already been mentioned before but I have no doubt he was a regular reader of the Death Valley Driver Video Review.

Oh buddy, do I have a fun surprise for you.

(check the first username in the thread)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

He actually mentioned being a poster on the board in an interview with Bryan Alverez

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Oh buddy, do I have a fun surprise for you.

(check the first username in the thread)

11 minutes ago, zendragon said:

He actually mentioned being a poster on the board in an interview with Bryan Alverez

I knew that, actually saw it referenced by Owen Ellickson on Twitter which was one of the things that made decide to give wrestling a try again. Just meant some 11-year-old Tony Khan going onto RSPW-M and reading Dean, Rippa, Phil, etc. and their road reports and stream of consciousness tape reviews.

• Like 2