DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2022

The Natural

Spoiler
  • Tony Khan tells @JonAlba he won't comment on the investigation related to the Elite. He thinks Elite and Death Triangle are the two best trios in AEW history

• Tony Khan reiterates that AEW Full Gear is traditionally a Saturday PPV, as he doesn't want to go against NFL on Sundays considering his ownership in the Jaguars.

• Tony Khan says there have been millions of dollars saved by routing events in between the northeast through a lot of this year, which is why there have been so many events in that region.

• Tony Khan claims that Ricky Starks actually wasn't cleared last week, and they had to move the match with Archer to this week. The winner of Archer vs. Starks will wrestle on Zero Hour against Brian Cage. The finals against Ethan Page are now next Wednesday on Dynamite

• Tony Khan tells noted Dirt Sheet Writer @WilliamRBR they have considered promoting Toni Storm to undisputed champion. He wants to give Thunder Rosa the opportunity to come back, but will see how things go.

• Tony Khan says that a common thread on AEW Full Gear is AEW originals against some new names. He says Dr. @RealBrittBakerDMD is a homegrown star against one of the most recognizable faces and known stories in pro wrestling in @Saraya

• Tony Khan tells @BR_Doctor that he finds he gets to spend more time with talent at the AEW Dark tapings, and he came to know and like AR Fox there.

• Tony Khan tells @davemeltzerWON that Chris Jericho helped make the connection to Martha Hart, and they'll continue the Owen Hart Tournament tradition.

• Tony Khan tells @BrandonThurston that he has positive things to say about CM Punk's contributions on screen but won't comment beyond that. He said he understand and appreciates why he has to ask.

• Tony Khan credits Tony Schiavone with coming up with some of the Nyla Rose/Jade Cargill title stealing story.

• Tony Khan says that he does the booking and makes the final decisions, but solicits ideas from staff and wrestlers.

• Tony Khan says he'll probably only use less than half of the ideas he hears every week because of time limitations. He says he has smart people to bounce things off of.

• Tony Khan says Hangman Page is healing well following his concussion

• Tony Khan tells @davidbix they'll see where they are with ROH and a TV deal at the end of the year.

• Tony Khan tells me that @Saraya was confident she would get cleared and felt good. In the event that they didn't, they had a lot of ideas, and she would have been a great ambassador for AEW.

• Tony Khan tells @Nick_Hausman that he did not know what CM Punk was going to say, and wouldn't comment much beyond that. He pivoted to talking about Swerve and Keith Lee after.

Credit to SRS on Twitter. Spoilered for size, but complete rundown of the Full Gear media conference call.

Edited by Krone Meltzer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

So do we be slightly hopeful he comes back or nah?

https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1593309925756772355

I'm not going to lie, him coming back would be good for business and storylines and we could finally get to MJF vs Punk. I would also like to add that Punk needs some sort of therapy to address his trust issues that have piled up over the course of 35+ years, so basically since he could start forming memories, but I doubt that gets thrust upon him.

But, yeah, hell yeah, bring back Punk. Fuck it. There's so many hot angles you could run with him after the gripebomb.

• Like 5

Tony Khan credits Tony Schiavone with coming up with some of the Nyla Rose/Jade Cargill title stealing story.

Oh my god, this makes soooooo much sense. There has been such a WCW Saturday Night feel to this feud/story between Nyla and Jade. Of course Schiavone thought it up.

Also, maybe let's not solicit Schiavone for any more ideas if they're going to be that cartoonish or wrestlecrappy.

• Sad 1

Tony Khan tells noted Dirt Sheet Writer @WilliamRBR they have considered promoting Toni Storm to undisputed champion. He wants to give Thunder Rosa the opportunity to come back, but will see how things go.

This part is interesting.

Just now, Craig H said:

Oh my god, this makes soooooo much sense. There has been such a WCW Saturday Night feel to this feud/story between Nyla and Jade. Of course Schiavone thought it up.

Also, maybe let's not solicit Schiavone for any more ideas if they're going to be that cartoonish or wrestlecrappy.

I don't remember if it was Tony or another commentator this week, but they said something to the effect of "This is brilliant, she's skipped the line for a title shot by stealing the belt." I feel like if that had been made clear as the point of her taking the belt from the get-go, it would've worked better. As it was, it was just a lot of "look at Nyla being silly" and Jade being mad about it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm not going to lie, him coming back would be good for business and storylines and we could finally get to MJF vs Punk. I would also like to add that Punk needs some sort of therapy to address his trust issues that have piled up over the course of 35+ years, so basically since he could start forming memories, but I doubt that gets thrust upon him.

But, yeah, hell yeah, bring back Punk. Fuck it. There's so many hot angles you could run with him after the gripebomb.

We had Phil vs Max. Twice, I think. 

Just now, Ace said:

We did, and it was twice (the regular match and the dog collar match), but Max swore revenge and revisiting that would be neat. But given his recent injury history, I don't think you can have Punk anywhere near the title scene if he did return.

• Like 1

Oh, and regarding ROH, unless TK has an ace up his sleeve, I think you have to consider the promotion dead. Running ROH titles on AEW programming and doing the occasional PPV is basically just keeping the company on life support. If you wanted to keep ROH alive, you needed a new TV deal a lot sooner than this and nothing has manifested. The other problem is that TK owns the tape library and has nowhere to show it. HBO Max seems like a dead end as long as Zaslav is running that into the ground. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I don't know, I think we should consult Tony more. There's space for it all.

• Like 2

AEW World Title Eliminator Tournament Finals Moved To Next Week’s Dynamite

F4WOnline reports that during a media call to promote Saturday’s AEW Full Gear event, Tony Khan revealed changes to the World title eliminator tournament. The finals, which include Ethan Page, were originally set to happen at the PPV. Instead, the match will now take place on next week’s episode of Dynamite.

Tony Khan says that a common thread on AEW Full Gear is AEW originals against some new names. He says Dr. @RealBrittBakerDMD is a homegrown star against one of the most recognizable faces and known stories in pro wrestling in @Saraya

This is a strange way to look at a show where arguably the two biggest matches (world title, trios) and the grudge match in the cage are all day one people. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Tony Khan tells noted Dirt Sheet Writer @WilliamRBR they have considered promoting Toni Storm to undisputed champion. He wants to give Thunder Rosa the opportunity to come back, but will see how things go.

Tell us Hayter's not winning without telling us Hayter's not winning 😭

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Ace said:

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

We did, and it was twice (the regular match and the dog collar match), but Max swore revenge and revisiting that would be neat. But given his recent injury history, I don't think you can have Punk anywhere near the title scene if he did return.

I was looking forward to the trilogy match but I think Punk's done in AEW. Have both bouts at ***** preferring the AEW Dynamite match, 2nd February 2022 to the Dog Collar from AEW Revolution, 6th March 2022 on my Birthday.

Edited by The Natural