DVDVR Message Board

November 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Just now, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

This is an interesting thought. If you drop 1998 Steve Austin into 1985 WWF, is he as big a star, or does the era + the territory's traditional fanbase still having a large influence on the product prevent Austin from being the star that he was thirteen years later. 

I don't think it works in 1985. We were still in the "Hooray America! Bigger is better!" Reagan years. Hogan was a perfect storm of right place, right time, right look, right soundbites, right exposure in the mainstream to explode. Austin was the same thing in 1997-98. Both were just reflections of what was popular in America at those specific times.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Log said:

I don't think it works in 1985. We were still in the "Hooray America! Bigger is better!" Reagan years. Hogan was a perfect storm of right place, right time, right look, right soundbites, right exposure in the mainstream to explode. Austin was the same thing in 1997-98. Both were just reflections of what was popular in America at those specific times.

This seems about right. I love the idea of Dr. D-as-Austin being a massive babyface in 1985, but it probably wouldn't have happened. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

This is an interesting thought. If you drop 1998 Steve Austin into 1985 WWF, is he as big a star, or does the era + the territory's traditional fanbase still having a large influence on the product prevent Austin from being the star that he was thirteen years later. 

I see him being a heel ala Piper, probably working against Hogan or on the B tour. I don't see him getting a face run as the companies ace

• Like 1

I think the question isn't quite accurate as Hogan left the AWA of his own accord because Verne fucked him on t-shirt money and the title run.

If Hogan goes to Japan full time, or Crockett instead, it probably delays the inevitable arrival. If he stays with Verne - it probably just means that Vince continues to actively raid the AWA post the initial poaching of Heenan, Ventura, Okerlund and Hogan instead of just passively allowing him to rot/fucking him on the TV syndication markets instead.

It's probably worth noting that Hogan wrestled his last AWA date on 14/11/83. He's working shows for Vince a month later, and is WWF champion barely two months later. New York worked around Hogan's availability and want to leave Verne, rather than Hogan being right place right time. The most likely outcome here is that the Sheik either gets a longer run with it, or he exchanges it back and forth with one of the other mentioned guys before Hogan eventually takes it maybe a year later?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I think he's a lesser star, but a top heel - if he's the fully formed 'Stone Cold' character in this scenario. @Log is right - Austin probably doesn't print money like Hogan does in that era as a babyface, but he damn sure draws a shitload of big houses working against Hogan. 

I totally see where your heads at, but Schultz also wasn't around long enough for some of the truly goofy shit to come later on. There's a non-zero chance that Vince gets one listen at Austin's accents and puts him in a cowboy hat or a pair of overalls

Edit: damn, I should've refreshed the page, @zendragon and @Wyld Samurai beat me to these points by an hour, cowboy hat and all. My bad!

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

This seems about right. I love the idea of Dr. D-as-Austin being a massive babyface in 1985, but it probably wouldn't have happened. 

Dr. D did the trash talking babyface character in Stampede. I think he could have pulled it off in the WWF as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I think the question isn't quite accurate as Hogan left the AWA of his own accord because Verne fucked him on t-shirt money and the title run.

If Hogan goes to Japan full time, or Crockett instead, it probably delays the inevitable arrival. If he stays with Verne - it probably just means that Vince continues to actively raid the AWA post the initial poaching of Heenan, Ventura, Okerlund and Hogan instead of just passively allowing him to rot/fucking him on the TV syndication markets instead.

It's probably worth noting that Hogan wrestled his last AWA date on 14/11/83. He's working shows for Vince a month later, and is WWF champion barely two months later. New York worked around Hogan's availability and want to leave Verne, rather than Hogan being right place right time. The most likely outcome here is that the Sheik either gets a longer run with it, or he exchanges it back and forth with one of the other mentioned guys before Hogan eventually takes it maybe a year later?

If Hogan goes to Crockett instead of Vince, imagine Dusty coming to New York to be Vince's babyface ace.

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, zendragon said:

For sure. But then the question is how do you take the belt off of Backlund and on to Randy with no Face/Face matches.

Backland to Shiek
Shiek to American Hero Slaughter.
Slaughter to Piper
Piper to Savage at Mania 1

Savage then gets the Hogan run through the late 80s before dropping the belt to Warrior

The biggest change is probably being able to convince Savage to drop the belt to Bret in a true passing of the torch at Mania 9. We'd also get a great Flair v Savage "Real Champion" match at Mania 8.

If Bret is the champ going into the "Lex Express" era I wonder if Luger keeps his mouth shut and takes the title.

This could mean we end up with Canadian Heel Bret, USA Hero Luger and Living Legend Savage all in WWE in the mid 90's. The flow on to WCW would be massive. No poaching Hogan and Savage. Luger doesn't take a pay cut to head over. Nitro doesn't get those huge moments.

I wonder then if Bischoff pivots and goes after the entire Kliq, bringing all of Nash, Hall, Waltman, Michaels and possibly Hunter across to be the nWo invasion?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Could you convince Piper to do a job thought?

If he won't then maybe run the belt through Orndorff? The other option is to use Bundy as the "Monster of the Moment" a year early?

Does Rock n Wrestling kick off the same way without Mr T and Hogan following the Rocky 3 connection?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, L_W_P said:

My tournament bracket -

2003/04 WWE Eddie Guerrero vs 2022 AEW Bryan Danielson 

This match would be story telling at it's absolute peak. The counters, the mat work, the Lucha mixed with the Strong style... 

2007/08 WWE John Cena vs 2011/12 NJPW Hiroshi Tanahashi 

It's 'peak' Ace vs 'peak' Ace. Cena was great in this time as a hated man who worked as a super face. Tanahashi was the ultimate "fave of a company" and the I think he could take Cena to the absolute limit. 

1993/94 WCW Sting vs 2012-14 WWE Brock Lesnar

Sting's best ever work (IMO) was as the athletic underdog vs Vader. Lesnar's work when he first returned to WWE was next level. Before the Suplex City stuff started up he was really good at working his size and strength advantages into interesting matches. 

1993/94 WWE Bret Hart vs 1999/00 WWE Mick Foley 

I really loved Bret's work vs bigger guys in 93. The Razor match at the Rumble, the KOTR matches, the Diesel match... Foley in 99 was a madman and his turn as Cactus Jack made Triple H a main event star. I think these two could work a pretty vicious little match here.

Not sure on the semis and finals just yet... Will come back to it one day.

Have gone through a heap of permutations and came out with this - 

2022 AEW Bryan Danielson vs 2011/12 NJPW Hiroshi Tanahashi 
I think Bryan goes at top speed here and Tana can keep up. There'd be no wasted motion with them splitting Dragon Suplexes and reversals into/out of everything. Put it in the Tokyo Dome and let Tana get the big comeback from underneath with Bryan hitting the Busaiku then missing a headbutt and falling victim to the Hi Fly Flow.

1993/94 WWE Bret Hart vs 2012-14 WWE Brock Lesnar
Again, I love Bret's work vs bigger guys and prime Lesnar would be an amazing base for him to work on. I think Bret would lead a match that really toned Brock down but kept him looking like an absolute monster. More in the Angle v Lesnar model. Bret takes this with a shock small package out of the F5 because I want...

1993/94 WWE Bret Hart vs 2011/12 NJPW Hiroshi Tanahashi 
This is just an incredible dream match. Bret's not going to get sucked into any kind of finisher bombing but he's going to work a brialliant 30-40 mins as a pseudo heel that have Tana being chopped down and dissected. It's going to be slower than the Danielson match, more deliberate and Bret clearly more of a heel who's looking to break the Ace down rather than knock him out. This takes a toll on Bret too though as Tana hits him with desperation bombs to break things up. Tana finally takes it after reversing the Sharpshooter into a Cloverleaf for the pass out submission in 47:24 to be declared the LWP Dream Match Tournament Champion!

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 3