DVDVR Message Board

November 2022 Wrestling Discussion

28 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Randy Savage becomes the biggest wrestling star of all time.

I read that as "Randy Hogan becomes the biggest wrestling star of all time."

3000x3000_14635796.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

Randy Savage becomes the biggest wrestling star of all time.

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

This is an interesting answer to the question "What does Vince do if he can't get Hogan to jump?"

It might be recency bias because we just watched his DSOTR episode recently, but I think there's for sure a timeline out in the multiverse somewhere where we get national treasure and pop culture icon Dr. D. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

And once Kerry's motorcycle accident still happens in that timeline as well, do we get Savage as a replacement around the time he was the IC-champ IRL?

Honestly, what probably happens is that Kerry can't figure out the notoriously insane late 80s WWF trans and ends up accidentally taking a flight to Hawaii and just ends up living there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

tournament time!

Randy Savage vs. Chris Jericho

Sabu vs. Samoa Joe

Jushin Liger vs. Psicosis

Owen Hart vs. Eddie Guerrero

honestly, i'm not booking the rest of the tournament because i want to see all of those matches. even the ones that already took place. Are we sure this isn't round robin style? because i'm here for that.

• Like 2

Since posting my fantasy tournament yesterday I’ve realized my true dream tournament would have Toru Yano go through Santino in the first round in a match that was a mix of comedy and them both tapping into their legit ability to throw people. Then in the second round William Regal gets to showcase all of his comedic timing and facials as he’s flummoxed at Yanos antics. And in the finals Yano and Eddie Guerrero (in full Lie, cheat and steal mode) trying to one up each other in stealing the win and set a record for most dusty finishes in one match regardless of who goes over we all win.

Edited by Sublime
  • Like 9

24 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Honestly, what probably happens is that Kerry can't figure out the notoriously insane late 80s WWF trans and ends up accidentally taking a flight to Hawaii and just ends up living there.

Then, Don Muraco sees Kerry down in Sunset Beach, trades the WWF title for a bunch of coke and just shows up on WWF tv next week with the title, claiming to have beat Kerry for it at a Hawaii house show.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

kerryperfectmxjnd.gif

The answer's probably Kerry.

Lord this gif makes me understand the whole "Warrior died and Kerry replaced him"

4 hours ago, Sublime said:

Since posting my fantasy tournament yesterday I’ve realized my true dream tournament would have Toru Yano go through Santino in the first round in a match that was a mix of comedy and them both tapping into their legit ability to throw people. Then in the second round William Regal gets to showcase all of his comedic timing and facials as he’s flummoxed at Yanos antics. And in the finals Yano and Eddie Guerrero (in full Lie, cheat and steal mode) trying to one up each other in stealing the win and set a record for most dusty finishes in one match regardless of who goes over we all win.

I still want a match where Orange Cassidy goes for the pockets so Yano does the only thing he can... shrug

19 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Dumb question, but do you mean other than just using Sheik in the same fashion as what actually happened in '84?

Sure but do you just bring Randy in as a Face to beat Sheik? Does that work? IMO you had a prefect storm of The Jingoistic 80's for a flag waving Hogan to beat a anti american heel. I don't know if that works for Savage. I like the idea of doing Slaughter v Sheik cause you can do all the flag waving stuff (You could even do so Slaughter v russians or some of Hogan other foes) then transition to Savage. (Could do Heel savage v Slaughter or if the fans demand it turn him face to beat the Sheik)

23 minutes ago, Matt D said:

d.gif

???

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zendragon said:

???

I forget where I heard this but I did hear that Sheik got the win just because he happened to be the guy wrestling Backlund that week. The month before, Backlund was wrestling Masked Superstar. No reason why it couldn't have been him. 

Also, in looking at this, there was never a Bill Eadie vs Savage match. Or a Eadie/Savage tag. They only ever interacted in a few battle royals (including two Rumbles). Crazy to think.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I forget where I heard this but I did hear that Sheik got the win just because he happened to be the guy wrestling Backlund that week. The month before, Backlund was wrestling Masked Superstar. No reason why it couldn't have been him. 

Also, in looking at this, there was never a Bill Eadie vs Savage match. Or a Eadie/Savage tag. They only ever interacted in a few battle royals (including two Rumbles). Crazy to think.

That's crazy if true. I've always looked at it as he was the prefect guy, All American boy gets beat by foreign menace and avenged by Hogan. A world where Bill Eadie is a former WWF champ. Of course this opens un another box of worms, If the Masked Superstar get a transitional reign, do we get demolition or does he just stay as MS?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Sure but do you just bring Randy in as a Face to beat Sheik?

I'm being a dumbass and forgetting Savage was a heel, that's my bad - long work day. I guess that could work - though now my thought is, why not just go Savage over Backlund directly, and cut out the transitional champ? Unless of course, your second point about the jingo babyface is mandatory - in that case, I think you simply go Backlund -> Sheik -> Sarge, keep most things equal, and get to Slaughter/Savage by WM IV.

12 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm being a dumbass and forgetting Savage was a heel, that's my bad - long work day. I guess that could work - though now my thought is, why not just go Savage over Backlund directly, and cut out the transitional champ? Unless of course, your second point about the jingo babyface is mandatory - in that case, I think you simply go Backlund -> Sheik -> Sarge, keep most things equal, and get to Slaughter/Savage by WM IV.

New York was always a babyface territory so Savage as a heel isn't going to get a long reign either (and that leaves the question as who is your top babyface? I like Steamboat but to me he's the guy who works with the guy who draws the money not the guy himself) So I could see Backlund drops it to sheik, who feuds with Slaughter, who eventually wins the title and spends some time fighting the russians ect. meanwhile Savage gets built up in the IC scene. Sheik gets the belt back to put over Savage sometime around 86

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It might be recency bias because we just watched his DSOTR episode recently, but I think there's for sure a timeline out in the multiverse somewhere where we get national treasure and pop culture icon Dr. D. 

Dr. D as a babyface would have been amazing stuff for the time period. I think you could have built Wrestlemania on a Piper/Schultz feud. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Dr. D as a babyface would have been amazing stuff for the time period. I think you could have built Wrestlemania on a Piper/Schultz feud. 

This is an interesting thought. If you drop 1998 Steve Austin into 1985 WWF, is he as big a star, or does the era + the territory's traditional fanbase still having a large influence on the product prevent Austin from being the star that he was thirteen years later. 

• Like 1