DVDVR Message Board

November 2022 Wrestling Discussion

28 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

ANYWAYS

Mox's model for the AEW game was finally revealed (no Wild Thing, but I had a feeling that would be the case):

I'm kinda glad they included his old music. I still prefer his NJPW entrance music the most and Wild Thing is certainly fun, but I miss his old music a little bit.

• Like 3

Watched the January 1984 MSG show on the Peacock last night. Obviously what they did with Slaughter in 1984 was really good but Hogan/heel Slaughter in 1984 would have ruled so hard.

It’s a testament to something (pick something) that Slaughter pulled off a face turn so quickly and got years out of it (most of it outside the WWF). I guess calling a heel drill sergeant “Gomer” was about to run its course in the mid-80s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

ANYWAYS

Mox's model for the AEW game was finally revealed (no Wild Thing, but I had a feeling that would be the case):

I'm going to end up buying this game and annoying my daughter by stealing her Switch for a couple months.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Watched the January 1984 MSG show on the Peacock last night. Obviously what they did with Slaughter in 1984 was really good but Hogan/heel Slaughter in 1984 would have ruled so hard.

It’s a testament to something (pick something) that Slaughter pulled off a face turn so quickly and got years out of it (most of it outside the WWF). I guess calling a heel drill sergeant “Gomer” was about to run its course in the mid-80s.

There's an alternate time line where The Iron Sheik didnt loose the title and he and Slaughter's blood soaked war in the summer over the belt is the stuff of legend.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Octopus said:

FaAaAnTaSy FuN!

You got a Time Machine and a large Cup shaped trophy. Book an Eight person tournament. Who you picking and who faces who?

Just for fun, I put four current favorites and four all-time favorites into an online bracket generator, which randomized the seeding, and gave me the following combinations: 

Cactus Jack vs. Bryan Danielson

Randy Savage vs. Chris Jericho

Sting vs. Kenny Omega

Bret Hart vs. Jon Moxley

• Like 3

I've absolutely Tony Khan'd this. 

I mean, I know I'm booking Lou Thesz over Ruckus after reversing a standing SSP into a Lou Thesz Press, meeting Nick Gage in the next round after he overcomes 25 minutes of stalling to finally hack into his forehead with a pizza cutter and the ref stopping for blood loss setting up a glorious second round of Lou Thesz becoming acquainted with light tubes.

I don't really know where the second half of the bracket goes. I'm thinking Rey squashes Brody, but then from there, can Omega get Haystacks Calhoun up for the One Winged Angel?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Just for fun, I put four current favorites and four all-time favorites into an online bracket generator, which randomized the seeding, and gave me the following combinations: 

Cactus Jack vs. Bryan Danielson

Randy Savage vs. Chris Jericho

Sting vs. Kenny Omega

Bret Hart vs. Jon Moxley

I would pay good money for that

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Lou Thesz vs Ruckus

Nick Bockwinkel vs Nick Gage

Bruiser Brody vs Rey Mysterio

Haystacks Calhoun vs Kenny Omega

Don't know if Haystacks can carry Kenny to something good, TBH. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Octopus said:

FaAaAnTaSy FuN!

You got a Time Machine and a large Cup shaped trophy. Book an Eight person tournament. Who you picking and who faces who?

1st round:

Kenta Kobashi over Eddie Kingston

Okada over Terry Funk

Samoa Joe over Barry Windham 

Eddie Guerrero over Steve Austin

2nd round:

Okada over Kobashi 

Guerrero over Joe

Finals: Eddie wins 

Edited by Sublime
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I would pay good money for that

Funny enough, I did a little Googling around after posting to see if Jericho/Savage may have happened between '96-'99 at like a Pro/Worldwide/SN taping  (unfortunately, no such luck) and I found a quote from Jericho saying that if there were three guys he wishes he could've wrestled in WCW, they'd be... Savage, Sting and Bret!

in conclusion: I believe I've got what you call a 'mind for the business.'

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I found a quote from Jericho saying that if there were three guys he wishes he could've wrestled in WCW, they'd be... Savage, Sting and Bret!

I take it there's been no Jericho-Sting business in AEW yet because Jericho's been involved in other longterm stuff and was face for a while, but hopefully once he drops the ROH strap we can get something along those lines. Or even just a fun random tag at the next New Japan crossover like the one that got us some Sting-Bucks interaction. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

even just a fun random tag at the next New Japan crossover like the one that got us some Sting-Bucks interaction. 

I'll take that all day, that match was loads of fun. I'd love to see like, Garcia/Jericho vs Darby/Sting (or something like that) before Sting hangs it up for good. 

• Like 3

Round 1

Cactus Jack v Jerry Lawler - blood soaked brawl all around the building that ends in a time limit draw.

Dean Malenko v Jinsei Shinzaki - Michinoku Pro style match, Malenko goes over

Bret Hart v William Regal - Bret Hart goes over in a close bout

Steve Austin v Jon Moxley - Austin over

Semi Finals

Steve Austin gets bye but does a promo anyway

Bret Hart v Dean Malenko - Bret goes over 

Finals

Bret v Austin - guaranteed another classic. I’ll let them decide who wins.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Bret Hart v Dean Malenko - Bret goes over 

Man, talk about one that deserves a re-do. I was so bummed out their one Nitro match wasn't what it should have been (and only learned like, 20 years after the fact in Bret's book that Malenko is the one who left him with that legit lingering groin injury). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

i'm gonna chose to imagine Tyrus meeting Lou Thesz in an airport, introducing himself as the NWA Champion, and Lou asking him if he knows how to shoot-wrestle.

“Yes, I believe in the right to bare arms”

• Thanks 1