DVDVR Message Board

November 2022 Wrestling Discussion

12 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I don't read any of them, but my sense is Meltzer gets something wrong and then 1000 clickbait dirtsheets/Twitter accounts/FB pages post his mistake as <siren>BREAKING<siren> news because all they do is steal shit from him, and it spirals from there

Given that the entire industry is literally built on lies and deception the fact Meltzer only gets as few things wrong as he does is actually a testament to how good he is. I grew up hating the guy as an ECW fan feeling he was the "enemy" but as I got older I realized that he was in fact correct on almost all his views and reporting on the promotion. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Given that the entire industry is literally built on lies and deception the fact Meltzer only gets as few things wrong as he does is actually a testament to how good he is. I grew up hating the guy as an ECW fan feeling he was the "enemy" but as I got older I realized that he was in fact correct on almost all his views and reporting on the promotion. 

Meltzer gets worked by his sources on a lot of stuff (New Japan attendance numbers come to mind), but that's not entirely his fault - it happens in all forms of journalism

The media and journalism in wrestling is certainly way more demonized than even in politics, etc., in America. We have so few good journalists, and the ones we have are crucified if one thing goes wrong or goes out of plan with what they're told or if fans just don't like what they're saying. Thankfully, we have a ton of great historians and writers in wrestling but we need more good journalists like Dave. He really doesn't get enough credit for being credible and covering the business and following trends for over forty years.

• Like 3

Going back and getting caught up on Arn’s podcast. Simply phenomenal as they go through old promos leading up to angles, etc by each month. Got me wondering; How long was NWA/WCW on the Super Station before Nitro? When Nitro started up, did they have a long history on national television to build off of?

Also, was WCW’s title lineage and company history something that continued off of the NWA or more of a strict break off schism?

Asking as someone who grew up a WWF kid, but retroactively enjoys the podcasts and matches on YouTube.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Going back and getting caught up on Arn’s podcast. Simply phenomenal as they go through old promos leading up to angles, etc by each month. Got me wondering; How long was NWA/WCW on the Super Station before Nitro? When Nitro started up, did they have a long history on national television to build off of?

Also, was WCW’s title lineage and company history something that continued off of the NWA or more of a strict break off schism?

Asking as someone who grew up a WWF kid, but retroactively enjoys the podcasts and matches on YouTube.

NWA wrestling (under the Georgia Championship Wrestling territory) was part of the original TBS Saturday evening broadcast when it became a superstation in 1976. The show changed its name to World Championship Wrestling in 1982, and after a brief fiasco involving WWF buying the time slot in the mid-80s, Jim Crockett Promotions took over the timeslot, and JCP was a direct lineage from GCW to what became WCW and Nitro.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wrestling was on the station in the early 70s, before the war. And during the war, both promotions had an hour of TV. That’s why GCW and later JCP had 605mas 2 one hour shows. 

I think Ron talked about Ted Turner originally putting wrestling on channel 17 on his podcast.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JLowe said:

NWA wrestling (under the Georgia Championship Wrestling territory) was part of the original TBS Saturday evening broadcast when it became a superstation in 1976. The show changed its name to World Championship Wrestling in 1982, and after a brief fiasco involving WWF buying the time slot in the mid-80s, Jim Crockett Promotions took over the timeslot, and JCP was a direct lineage from GCW to what became WCW and Nitro.

I dunno if anyone followed along when Conrad Thompson and Schiavone did the vast majority of JCP in 1986 last year. Apparently, JCP tried to keep a separate show for Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling and have the World Championship Wrestling show as adopted from Georgia. However, the MACW show was always 1 or 2 weeks behind WCW and basically became obsolete. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If it could only top one of Glenn Gilbertti's few positive contributions to the wrestling world, which was redoing Konnan's 2nd Mad One theme and singing "Oil of Olay, all day everyday". TBH I kinda wish he had did Psycho cause the dude is talking about owning a bus and a skeleton playing on a cello.

Sidenote: Speaking of music, I was today years old when I found out this wasn't a WWF/Jim Johnston creation

I only recently realized that "Psycho" was from Mad One/Filtered Souls and not done by Konnan himself

13 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I only recently realized that "Psycho" was from Mad One/Filtered Souls and not done by Konnan himself

Unless Konnan's voice dropped a few octaves, then that definitely ain't Konnan.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Unnatural said:
Getting triggered by follower count🤷

Is this guy doing a Fake Sting/Bizarro Natural gimmick?

Rather than re-share your tweets that literally no-one else reads, lean into the gimmick and post a really unstructured list about why you hate Bryan Danielson, and why Penta doesn't taunt enough.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Is this guy doing a Fake Sting/Bizarro Natural gimmick?

Rather than re-share your tweets that literally no-one else reads, lean into the gimmick and post a really unstructured list about why you hate Bryan Danielson, and why Penta doesn't taunt enough.

It's the artist formerly known as Hayabusa who I have on ignore for what he's said about me:

Frankly, one of the only people I don't like here.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

Actually that's not a bad idea

I can spam lists in my posts such as

Why spamming photos tweets gifs doesn't count as ACTUAL conversation

Why spamming photos tweets gifs DOES count as conversations 

Why spamming lists doesn't count as conversation

Why spamming lists does count

Why quoting someone else just to say THIS is a valid talking point, instead of just writing out my own thoughts, which I don't have time for in between using this board as a social media site to get Likes and made up winner of the day awards

What's really fascinating is this "he's one of the few people I don't like on here" mention. By my DM's there's a gang of good bubbas who don't like Him but they're too polite to say anything, but I do get kudos messaged to my inbox every now and again which tells me some of the bubbas he does like, he's got ZERO clue that they can't stand him

And nope that's not my Twitter account, as little as I follow wrestling Why would I wanna write up a wrestling focused Twit account?

My actual Twitter account is all Critical Role/Dimension 20/LA by Night posts since thats the majority of what I watch when I'm not watching movies or premium cable shows

30 minutes ago, Unnatural said:

Actually that's not a bad idea

I can spam lists in my posts such as

Why spamming photos tweets gifs doesn't count as ACTUAL conversation

Why spamming photos tweets gifs DOES count as conversations 

Why spamming lists doesn't count as conversation

Why spamming lists does count

Why quoting someone else just to say THIS is a valid talking point, instead of just writing out my own thoughts, which I don't have time for in between using this board as a social media site to get Likes and made up winner of the day awards

What's really fascinating is this "he's one of the few people I don't like on here" mention. By my DM's there's a gang of good bubbas who don't like Him but they're too polite to say anything, but I do get kudos messaged to my inbox every now and again which tells me some of the bubbas he does like, he's got ZERO clue that they can't stand him

And nope that's not my Twitter account, as little as I follow wrestling Why would I wanna write up a wrestling focused Twit account?

My actual Twitter account is all Critical Role/Dimension 20/LA by Night posts since thats the majority of what I watch when I'm not watching movies or premium cable shows

Fuck off. Go troll somewhere else.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Paul is a good dude and a friend. I’ve been lucky enough to have good conversations with him about life and things outside of wrestling. He is a very kind person and incredibly thoughtful.

If his or anyone’s posting style is annoying to you, just put him in ignore. It makes things so much easier, I have a person or two that I found annoying on ignore and it’s made my forum experience much more of a treat.

Also, the line about a bunch of people secretly not liking him was pretty low. Even if you felt he hurt you by saying he doesn’t like you, that was fairly callous. 

If we start hating meme and list posts, I’ll be ostracized and have no where else to turn.

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

More than 50% of the time when there are new profiles in this community, it ends up being someone from this boards past. This isn't the case, as it is a name change, not a "new" profile per se. Going on a personal vendetta against the most popular name on the board is certainly a choice. I'm sure it will go well.

Edited by Shartnado
Than, not that
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2