DVDVR Message Board

November 2022 Wrestling Discussion

The Nasty Boys have a King Ralphesque ascendency to Dukedom, and Regal must give them etiquette and decorum lessons. Along the way Regal picks up Nastyisms the same way normies in Pauly Shore movies start talking about munching on grindage. Laughs abound. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, (BP) said:

The Nasty Boys have a King Ralphesque ascendency to Dukedom, and Regal must give them etiquette and decorum lessons. Along the way Regal picks up Nastyisms the same way normies in Pauly Shore movies start talking about munching on grindage. Laughs abound. 

I love the idea of a Reverse My Fair Lady where Knobbs and Saggs take Regal in and attempt to turn him into the Nastiest Boy. Instead of "The Rain in Spain" the big setpiece is Regal singing: 

Edited by Sammo~!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

I love the idea of a Reverse My Fair Lady where Knobbs and Saggs take Regal in and attempt to turn him into the Nastiest Boy. Instead of "The Rain in Spain" the big setpiece is Regal singing: 

If it could only top one of Glenn Gilbertti's few positive contributions to the wrestling world, which was redoing Konnan's 2nd Mad One theme and singing "Oil of Olay, all day everyday". TBH I kinda wish he had did Psycho cause the dude is talking about owning a bus and a skeleton playing on a cello.

Sidenote: Speaking of music, I was today years old when I found out this wasn't a WWF/Jim Johnston creation:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Guessing not the former NWA champion people wanted 

This made me look at the recent former champs and WOOF. The actual answer is they should have flown in Tenzan. He's used to working meaningless multi-man tags.

20 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Oh, he's absolutely that. Road Dogg sucked. But the Cody tweet you were referencing didn't talk about talent, it talked about drawing and being memorable. I'm quite confident that quite a few people left arenas remembering the New Age Outlaws' act, and as I said, I'd even go so far as to call them a second-tier draw.

In other words, you or I may not have much respect for the way he got over, but one can't deny that he was in fact extremely over at one point.

1000% this. As someone who was square ass in the middle of WWE's target demographic during that time, Road Dogg was over as hell. It wasn't just the catchphrase. Dude could cut a promo. I'd dare say after Austin, Rock, and Foley, he might've been the most dynamic promo in the company for a time. I don't recall him being an overtly bad worker, either. He just didn't do a whole lot other than the "shake rattle & roll" punches, the pump-handle slam, and a few other generic things. Guy was a) pretty pilled up at that point and b) smart enough to know what got him there. 

I don't read any of them, but my sense is Meltzer gets something wrong and then 1000 clickbait dirtsheets/Twitter accounts/FB pages post his mistake as <siren>BREAKING<siren> news because all they do is steal shit from him, and it spirals from there

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1