DVDVR Message Board

November 2022 Wrestling Discussion

1 hour ago, Red King said:

Again two Rumble matches next year, the mens and womens. 30 entrants each and both still using the countdown clock. We will see later if there will be any changes to the rules.

I think we've spoken about having Survivor Series main event be for #30 in the Rumble before.

Would a double chance in the Rumble stipulation work? Have a multi man match on the December PPV - winner gets entry #3 and #29. Have him use his first spot as a very cautious, conservative spot, looking to pick his spots, only to end up deciding to kamikaze a guy he didn't like out of the Rumble with a cactus clothesline or something. Gets beaten down on the ramp on the way out. Comes out in bad shape for 29 and is easy pickings. Sets up an easy feud for low card Mania.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

All the boys got one part of the Bullet. Brian got the promo skills that unfortunately Brad didn’t get.

I don't think it's a coincidence that once Bullet Bob kinda faded into doing indies after Smoky Mountain went away that Brian's career took off, although Brian almost torched it leaving that In Your House in Nashville and not doing the split with Jeff. I think all the boys besides Brian appeared to be lesser than because Bob was still out here cutting fiery promos and still being booked as a top act well into his 50s. 

Brian also had the advantage of WWF's roster being absolutely putrid and top heavy in 1995. He was also friends with Bruce even after he fucked up and quit out of solidarity with Jeff. If he wasn't, there is a good chance Brian never gets chance to be part of the New Age Outlaws. Keep in mind, when he came back from USWA, that real Double J thing bombed and he became a jobber. Then, the thing with Honkytonk Man where he faked HTM out, broke Honky's guitar, and Billy became the protege instead bombed. They went out there and had a stinker at IYH: Revenge of the Taker. He got lucky people were solidly in his corner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Bring Hell in a Cell back as a feud ender, lose it as a PLE.

The problem for HHH there is you could say the same thing for Wargames as you do for Elimination Chamber. Even just now they kind of had to scramble for people to fill the cages, and reasons for the matches to happen.

AEW does Blood and Guts when it's warranted, not when a calendar says to.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 4

I think if they build it up properly then MITB and the Chamber can be "events" like the Royal Rumble.

Id love the PLEs to build to each other -

Rumble winner gets a shot at Mania 

Chamber match is the champions Rumble - Defend your belt and earn your Mania Main Event 

Q/KOTR gets a title shot at Summer Slam 

Do the 5 man/woman tags for Survivor Series NIGHT 1 along with the World Title matches. Night 2 (or fuck it RAW/SDL) is the mid card titles + a battle royal for "Ultimate Survivor" who gets a title shot at the Rumble, Day 1 or the first Raw/SDL of the year as a big TV main event, however you want to hype it.

MITB is fine on its own if you use it to promote your upper/midcard into the main event and give the world champs the night off.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I think we've spoken about having Survivor Series main event be for #30 in the Rumble before.

Would a double chance in the Rumble stipulation work? Have a multi man match on the December PPV - winner gets entry #3 and #29. Have him use his first spot as a very cautious, conservative spot, looking to pick his spots, only to end up deciding to kamikaze a guy he didn't like out of the Rumble with a cactus clothesline or something. Gets beaten down on the ramp on the way out. Comes out in bad shape for 29 and is easy pickings. Sets up an easy feud for low card Mania.

The only issue I see with that (other than the fact they seem to want to kill the December PLE off) is doesn’t that guarantee #3 gets eliminated fairly early? It loses the idea completely of an early number having a run to the end, and winning. Plus in that scenario what happens at 29 if they book the guy to still be in there from the third slot? 

11 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Everyone buying in and using the PLE acronym sound like if people on here using WWE Universe instead of fans. Yall should be ashamed of yourselves lol. PPV 4 Life

I get where you're coming from, but this one actually makes sense. Seems silly to call them "Pay Per Views" when you're not actually paying per view.

• Like 5

Okay, that clears up the PLE thing for me. I kept reading it and not understanding what it was, so I’m glad it’s a new term and I didn’t have a stroke or shift one reality over where that’s the only thing that’s changed. 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I can't agree with this, though. While their schtick got old pretty quickly for me personally, the New Age Outlaws were massively over and I'd even argue they were a second-tier draw.

There was a discussion about Road Dogg here recently, and I came to the position that he was basically a guy with a couple catch phrases in an era where that's all you needed to get over. He's Godfather status.

It's telling that his tag partner was part of a good, reasonably-over tag team before the NAO existed and then got over 25 years after the NAO first got together in a different company, but Road Dogg just has that one catchphrase-spewing character in an era of catchphrase-spewing characters.

All this is to say that I politely disagree with your counter-point.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

There was a discussion about Road Dogg here recently, and I came to the position that he was basically a guy with a couple catch phrases in an era where that's all you needed to get over. He's Godfather status.

It's telling that his tag partner was part of a good, reasonably-over tag team before the NAO existed and then got over 25 years after the NAO first got together in a different company, but Road Dogg just has that one catchphrase-spewing character in an era of catchphrase-spewing characters.

Oh, he's absolutely that. Road Dogg sucked. But the Cody tweet you were referencing didn't talk about talent, it talked about drawing and being memorable. I'm quite confident that quite a few people left arenas remembering the New Age Outlaws' act, and as I said, I'd even go so far as to call them a second-tier draw.

In other words, you or I may not have much respect for the way he got over, but one can't deny that he was in fact extremely over at one point.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Many of the biggest acts in history "sucked in the ring," if you go by Dave and his tastes that influenced the workrate fanatics. 

We just talked about this, too, and I think I started it because I think Dave's JYD slander disqualifies him entirely as a Critic Whose Opinion I Value.

I also reject the idea that Workrate = Moves + Pace that has been cemented by Meltzer. Why do we never talk about selling or facial expressions or any of the other ways you can work a crowd as part of this concept? Dave. Larry Z got more crowd reaction wandering around at ringside avoiding Bruno than guys today do by doing dives over the ropes.

I think as I've watched a ton of wrestling between '77 and '96 over the past years, I have decided that the definition of good workrate should be centered on crowd reaction rather than wrestler action. What good is a crisp suplex if the crowd isn't feeling it?

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Many of the biggest acts in history "sucked in the ring," if you go by Dave and his tastes that influenced the workrate fanatics. 

Definitely. But Road Dogg happens to be one case where I agree with the Meltzerites. I don't recall him having any particular gift at storytelling or commanding the audience. He was just a catchphrase.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

Bring Hell in a Cell back as a feud ender, lose it as a PLE. Keep Elimination Chamber as part of the Road to WrestleMania. Keep Money in the Bank a PLE. Elimination Chamber and Money in the Bank are the best two B level PLE.

I refuse to call these god damned things PLEs, I'm sorry. Sounds too WWE-ey to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Depends on what we mean as "got over." Caster's raps are over, Bowens' catchphrase is over, Billy just happened to be in the right place at the right time. 

Admittedly, I have only seen that stuff very spottily and may be overrating how integral Gunn is to the act...though I thought he was fairly over even before this during the early period when Sonny Kiss was twerking at him in battle royals and stuff.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Admittedly, I have only seen that stuff very spottily and may be overrating how integral Gunn is to the act...though I thought he was fairly over even before this during the early period when Sonny Kiss was twerking at him in battle royals and stuff.

Acclaimed were starting to get hot, but the angle with the Gunns and eventually taking on Daddy Ass (and Scissor Me Daddy Ass) was definitely a factor in them getting molten heat.

• Like 5