DVDVR Message Board

November 2022 Wrestling Discussion

So I've been working at the same company for years. Transferred to a new store a few months ago and Tony Chimel of all people is now one of my coworkers. He is hilarious and sarcastic as hell, and gets a big kick out of it when someone recognizes him. Funnily enough he doesn't really like wrestling much, says he watched it for 40 years, he'd rather talk about the Mets. He's had a couple of fun stories so far I might share sometime. I've been showing him a little bit of Orange Cassidy lately and he's getting a kick out of him, says he might have to start watching again. 

• Like 21

@Matt D... One of the wrestlers we disagree on is Bruiser Brody. My opinion is that he earned his legendary reputation and image in Japan (and elsewhere) and is deserving of respect. I think it's fair too say that you consider him to be often lazy and selfish in the  ring. I concede that his ring work was not consistently great but I think even at his worst he was close to good in the ring.  The thing I really like, though, is that he was who he seemed to be. A real life wildman who spoke his mind and never pretended to be something he wasn't. So, I'm hoping we can agree that he had those two qualities. What I'm saying is, Bruiser Brody was: Frank. Good-ish.

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

@Matt D... One of the wrestlers we disagree on is Bruiser Brody. My opinion is that he earned his legendary reputation and image in Japan (and elsewhere) and is deserving of respect. I think it's fair too say that you consider him to be often lazy and selfish in the  ring. I concede that his ring work was not consistently great but I think even at his worst he was close to good in the ring.  The thing I really like, though, is that he was who he seemed to be. A real life wildman who spoke his mind and never pretended to be something he wasn't. So, I'm hoping we can agree that he had those two qualities. What I'm saying is, Bruiser Brody was: Frank. Good-ish.

GODDAMIT, GORDLOW!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

i won't comment on the taunt spamming (wink wink @The Natural) but Alex Abrahantes never bothered me. However, when they "introduced" the evil Pentagon (Penta Obscura? i can't remember the name), it meant absolutely nothing. Sure, he rose out of the grave or whatever, but he looked and wrestled pretty much the exact same. Why should i care about the name change?

all props to Fenix for being amazing.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Instead of making an off-color joke about Invader I's all-time ability to sell, I'll just note that the greatest proof we have for the existence of time travel is that someone obviously travelled through time and place to switch Jonathan Blood and Richard Good at birth.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StevieNippz said:

So I've been working at the same company for years. Transferred to a new store a few months ago and Tony Chimel of all people is now one of my coworkers. He is hilarious and sarcastic as hell, and gets a big kick out of it when someone recognizes him. Funnily enough he doesn't really like wrestling much, says he watched it for 40 years, he'd rather talk about the Mets. He's had a couple of fun stories so far I might share sometime. I've been showing him a little bit of Orange Cassidy lately and he's getting a kick out of him, says he might have to start watching again. 

Ask him how he feels about Sidney Crosby. 🙂

• Like 1

watching the Teddy Hart documentary on Peacock, and imagine watching any of this with no idea about what you were getting into by hearing about Teddy Hart.

Edit: there's a bit too much of this producer, but you get 'great' quotes like him talking about how he was working for a TV news station but spending all his time filming Teddy Hart. Also Frederick the producer kinda vaguely looks like Jim from The Office.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

I can't remember the film but a priest who only speaks English is preforming a marriage for a couple that only speaks Spanish and the translator keeps embellishing what the priest is saying , and it keeps escalating until the priest gets ticked off. That what Alex Alhambres reminds me of

Ethan Page is kinda a Mike Rotundo type to me. Perfectly solid in ring but nothing about him is in any way memorable or makes me want to seek him out

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gordlow said:

tenor.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, twiztor said:

i won't comment on the taunt spamming (wink wink @The Natural) but Alex Abrahantes never bothered me. However, when they "introduced" the evil Pentagon (Penta Obscura? i can't remember the name), it meant absolutely nothing. Sure, he rose out of the grave or whatever, but he looked and wrestled pretty much the exact same. Why should i care about the name change?

But we got AA dressed like one of the MST3K Brain Guys out of it so it was all worth it in the end.

• Haha 1

Inspired by @Octopus dropping questions, which is the best match in the history of the following events:

WWE Royal Rumble. 

WWE WrestleMania.

WWE Elimination Chamber.

WWE Money in the Bank.

WWE SummerSlam.

WWF In Your House.

WWF No Mercy.

WWE Survivor Series.

WWE NXT TakeOver.

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom.

WCW Halloween Havoc. 

WCW Starrcade.

AEW Revolution.

AEW Double or Nothing.

AEW All Out.

AEW Full Gear. 

AEW Dynamite.

AEW Rampage.

AEW Battle of the Belts.

ECW Anarchy Rulz.

ECW Hardcore Heaven.

• Thanks 1

My go:

WWE Royal Rumble. 1992 Royal Rumble match. *****.

WWE WrestleMania. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin, WrestleMania 13. *****.

WWE Elimination Chamber. The Wyatt Family vs. The Shield, Elimination Chamber 2014. *****.

WWE Money in the Bank. CM Punk vs. John Cena, Money in the Bank 2011. *****.

WWE SummerSlam. Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena, SummerSlam 2013. *****.

WWF In Your House. Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind, In Your House 10: Mind Games. *****.

WWF No Mercy. Kurt Angle/Chris Benoit vs. Edge/Rey Mysterio, No Mercy 2002. *****.

WWE Survivor Series. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin, Survivor Series 1996. *****.

WWE NXT TakeOver. Andrade Almas vs. Johnny Gargano, NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia. *****.

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega, Wrestle Kingdom 11. *****.

WCW Halloween Havoc. Rey Mysterio vs. Eddie Guerrero, Halloween Havoc 1997. *****.

WCW Starrcade. Sting vs. Vader, Starrcade 1992.

AEW Revolution. CM Punk vs. MJF, Revolution 2022. *****.

AEW Double or Nothing. Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes, Double or Nothing 2019. *****. 

AEW All Out. Lucha Brothers vs. Young Bucks, All Out 2021.

AEW Full Gear. Jamie Hayter vs. Toni Storm, Full Gear 2022.

AEW Dynamite. Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****.

AEW Rampage. Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. The Buy In: Rampage, 15th October 2021. *****.

AEW Battle of the Belts. Claudio Castagnoli vs. Konosuke Takeshita. Battle of the Belts III, 5th August 2022.

ECW Anarchy Rulz. Mike Awesome vs. Masato Tanaka vs. Taz. Anarchy Rulz 1999.

ECW Hardcore Heaven. Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn. Hardcore Heaven 1999.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

After watching the entire Dangerous Breed (Teddy Hart) documentary... the producer had a bunch of footage that he found a use for after hearing about the disappearance, Teddy is a mix of an awful person and a person who has a lot to work through (with the two factors feeding off of each other), also Teddy got the ball rolling for a likely murder although I think the disappearance likely had nothing to do with him and had more to do with her ride from jail in Polk County.

Unfortunately people seen as being on the fringes of society don't get a lot of help when they're in trouble so the State of Florida isn't particularly gonna be dropping everything on this matter.

The fact that the only people they had on camera who where in contact with Samantha after the tree job were talking to her through Facebook wasn't a failure of the producers, it was the sort of reality that people who might have had something to say aren't aware of the whole situation or aren't necessarily going on camera.

It's a bit eerie how much Teddy Hart sounds like Bret, but for some reason, I don't think Teddy would be able to keep his mouth shut if he actually murdered someone or helped murder someone.. he would have intentionally/accidentally doomed himself.

Spoiler

The saga of Mr. Money was resolved after he was deported with Machiko, so there's that.

Also, obviously all that inner thigh work in the Chasyn Rance videos totally wasn't raunchy at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Teddy is a mix of an awful person and a person who has a lot to work through (with the two factors feeding off of each other), also Teddy got the ball rolling for a likely murder although I think the disappearance likely had nothing to do with him and had more to do with her ride from jail in Polk County.

Teddy grinned and said finding out what happened to Samantha was "impossible" - he definitely knows something. Also his long pause when the producer asked if Team Vision Dojo was involved with her disappearance was weird.

Seems like tracing phone records to see who she called after getting released besides the missed-call to her sister would be crucial here.

Also the flight record of Teddy the night she disappeared - it's possible he worked the indie show in California then flew back to Florida.

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Inspired by @Octopus dropping questions, which is the best match in the history of the following events:

WWE Royal Rumble. 92 honarble mentions to 2004 rumble, Benoit v Angle 2003 (best one on one match) 2002 rumble and the 2001 rumble for kane

WWE WrestleMania. Austin v Bret

WWE SummerSlam. Austin v Angle

WWF In Your House. THE CANADIAN STAMPEDE!, Austin v Foley one on one

WWE Survivor Series. André the Giant, Butch Reed, King Kong Bundy, One Man Gang and Rick Rude (with Bobby Heenan and Slick) defeated Bam Bam Bigelow, Don Muraco, Hulk Hogan, Ken Patera and Paul Orndorff (with Oliver Humperdink) Elimination match (WOULDA LOO AT ALL THAT BEEF!) Austin v Bret singles 

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom. Cleaner v Rainmaker

WCW Halloween Havoc. Eddie v Rey HM Goldberg v DDP, Raven v Jericho 

WCW Starrcade. Rey v Kidman v Juventude

AEW Dynamite. CM Punk v MJF 

AEW Rampage. Kenny v Christian

AEW Battle of the Belts. Riho v Britt

• Thanks 1

Teddy frying a good percentage of his brain cells over the years with drugs and pro wrestling could make it hard to judge how he reacts to specific things. That's gonna be his defense when it comes to the compulsive lying and it might be a hard defense to beat short of records placing him on flights to/from Florida. Teddy flying cross country would be far more effort than the nonexistent effort he made to return her passport to her when he was in Texas.

edit: also, I don't know how long they keep flight records (for specific people or in general) but I guess it's best to get that information within the first 6 years and also the records of purchases might be a little harder to track down if he didn't pay in his own name

There's no shortage of people who were booked in the Polk County jail on Friday 11/18/2016 and released on Saturday 11/19/2016. If they released her at the same time as a bunch of other people and if she hitched a ride after not having someone to call to pick her up, it's not hard to theorize that she could have ended up getting murdered that way.

Edited by Cobra Commander

43 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Teddy frying a good percentage of his brain cells over the years with drugs and pro wrestling could make it hard to judge how he reacts to specific things. That's gonna be his defense when it comes to the compulsive lying and it might be a hard defense to beat short of records placing him on flights to/from Florida.

The documentary didn't touch on it, but if Teddy's really bipolar and refusing to take medication as Diana Hart claimed in this 2018 interview, he might just be defensive about everything because he literally can't remember what he did during his manic phases:

The home movies shown in the documentary where his ex claims he didn't sleep and got more crazy line up with someone who's bipolar and having manic episodes

yeah, not making excuses for Teddy, but his brother dying suddenly, and also having a bunch of uncles die (along with all the other family drama), makes things worse for him. 

anyways, stuff like Samantha being arrested for trespassing because you went to the emergency room and refused to leave is one reminder of how shitty the law can be to poor/homeless people.

If she was calling her sister in Canada from the Polk County jail, then either she was leaving with someone that she didn't have to call, or the whole "one call only" thing isn't necessarily true? (I think that her sister thought the call was from the jail based off of the recording when she called back)

21 hours ago, twiztor said:

. However, when they "introduced" the evil Pentagon (Penta Obscura? i can't remember the name), it meant absolutely nothing. Sure, he rose out of the grave or whatever, but he looked and wrestled pretty much the exact same. Why should i care about the name change?

You are right. Pentagon started as an evil Octagon. He was already evil.

And yes, Fenix kicks ass.