DVDVR Message Board

November 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Either @LF2 is very cultured or maybe a touch older to think of Claude Monet and not Janelle Monae when looking at Mercedes Mone' as a potential name. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Oh, it's time for my yearly "the Diamond Cutter was so over as a flash killer that Goldberg losing to it would have served him better than all the taser crap" post.

You can get rematches out of whether or not the relatively inexperienced Goldberg can avoid the Diamond Cutter, too. That move was built up as instadeath at that point. 

This absolutely could have been a good story to tell.  But WCW was both unwilling and completely unable to pull it off.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Lost in all the bazzfazz over the Scarlett incident at WWE's Peoria show over the weekend (TLDR: fan threw a beer at her and was immediately removed), they had over 4,000 fans and set a record for highest gross sales in the history of WWE shows at the building. Considering that's almost 40 years of events encompassing multiple TV tapings and the Attitude Era, that is nothing to sneeze at.

A quick look at Wrestlingdata.com shows

3/4/1985 - 12,000 for Hogan vs. Orndorff

9/15/1987 - 9,000 for Hogan vs. One Man Gang

8/15/1999 - 7,529 for Rock, Kane and X-Pac vs. HHH, Big Show and Bossman

4/23/2002 - 8,350 for Jericho vs. HHH

watching a 1997 Hardcore TV immediately after a 1995 Hardcore TV makes me think that they invested in light bulbs at the ECW Arena as they found more success

EDIT: when did Lance Storm clip off his atrocious looking blonde rat tail? he has a haircut that 3rd graders thought was cool back in the mid-90s

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Either @LF2 is very cultured or maybe a touch older to think of Claude Monet and not Janelle Monae when looking at Mercedes Mone' as a potential name. 

Actually just rewatching White Collar, and a reference on there to Claude Monet was the first thing I thought of. But I’d say for this forum i’m probably in the average age range (39 in a few weeks).

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

A quick look at Wrestlingdata.com shows

3/4/1985 - 12,000 for Hogan vs. Orndorff

9/15/1987 - 9,000 for Hogan vs. One Man Gang

8/15/1999 - 7,529 for Rock, Kane and X-Pac vs. HHH, Big Show and Bossman

4/23/2002 - 8,350 for Jericho vs. HHH

I assume tickets are way more expensive now (ringside was $12 - $12! - when I caught a show there in 1993). Also merch sales would be a big factor.

38 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

watching a 1997 Hardcore TV immediately after a 1995 Hardcore TV makes me think that they invested in light bulbs at the ECW Arena as they found more success

I think Barely Legal was the only time they had a proper lighting rig at ECW Arena, and that was on loan from WWE

They upgraded their cameras a few times - that definitely helped too

10 minutes ago, LF2 said:

Who’s the opponent? All I can really think of at the moment (and neither seems like a “safe” option) is Brock or Seth.

No opponent was named. 

Has to be someone who can be safe in ring.

Just now, Dolphman 3000 said:

I think Barely Legal was the only time they had a proper lighting rig at ECW Arena, and that was on loan from WWE

They upgraded their cameras a few times - that definitely helped too

going from the episode where Taz turns heel to align with Bill Alfonso (November to Remember 95) to the episode where Fonzie bleeds to save his job (As Good As It Gets 97) and the promotion really did change in just under 2 years.

But yeah, the arena looks a lot less openly scuzzy in 1997. Also looks like the guardrails are closer to the ring in 97 than 95.

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

But yeah, the arena looks a lot less openly scuzzy in 1997. Also looks like the guardrails are closer to the ring in 97 than 95.

Paul E. kept adding seating, fire code be damned - I think the fire marshall's maximum capacity posted near the door was around 1100, but with the added bleachers they were packing in closer to 1500-2000 every month near the end

2 hours ago, LF2 said:

Honestly I’m not sure which of these names Sasha Banks has trademarked I like least:

Mercedes Mone’ (Sounds like a bad painter gimmick)

Mone’ Talks (Assuming for a talk show gimmick, but still not a fan)

Bank Mone’ (Seriously at least rename your finisher. Don’t try to get cute with something WWE invented)

The only one I actually like is Statement Maker, and I’m a bit surprised nobody else had thought of or trademarked that before.

Mercedes Moné is the only one that actually sounds like a name. The rest seem like terrible puns that are third grader would think are beneath them intellectually. 

• Like 5

Just now, (BP) said:

It’s not likely at all, but somehow Punk vs Austin is more possible now than it’s been in the decade since they teased it. 

Punk's said he would really want to play up the Straight Edge vs. Drinks Beer aspect of their dynamic, and you'd need a couple months on TV to really sell that properly. But yeah, perfect time for Punk to come back as a heel.

35 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I'd be up for Orton vs Austin 20 years too late. Even Cena vs Austin.

Bron Breakker.

Breakker definitely isn’t safe enough for Austin. I like the Cena idea except for it totally overshadows whatever Roman does (even if it’s vs The Rock). Based on the Broken Skull Sessions episodes I’ve seen I’d personally like Stone Cold vs Sami Zayn. Austin loved the match with Johnny Knoxville, and obviously Sami is a safe worker too. Plus the promo work would be great.

This is going to sound like me being an AEW homer but the only two guys I really want to see wrestle Steve Austin are both currently there: Mox and Danielson - Mox could get a badass yet relatively safe brawl out of him, and Danielson has such an awesome IQ in there, I think he could work around basically anyone's limitations. It's a real shame Austin didn't do this sooner. I think he could have had some really good matchups in that 2013/2014 period, with not only the two guys I listed, but everyone from Claudio to Bray Wyatt to Orton (who I never enjoyed as much as I did during this period, save maybe for the lead-up to the Backlash match with Foley on '04, and the Christian matches when I started watching again in '11. He was great here, I'll give it to him).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, twiztor said:

since Goldberg refused to work with Jericho, that would be tough to book.

to me, DDP's feud with Curt Hennig seemed out of nowhere, as Hennig had been feuding with Flair for months, and then Starrcade randomly was Hennig defending against DDP. It seemed like a pretty random match for the biggest PPV of the year. i didn't mind the DDP/Flock feud, but i thought Raven was pretty awesome, so YMMV.

Yhea I totally acknowledge Goldberg v Jericho would be a completely alternate timeline where Jericho isn't trying to get the hell out of WCW

I remember a brief DDP v Hennig feud prior to starcade

52 minutes ago, LF2 said:

Breakker definitely isn’t safe enough for Austin. I like the Cena idea except for it totally overshadows whatever Roman does (even if it’s vs The Rock). Based on the Broken Skull Sessions episodes I’ve seen I’d personally like Stone Cold vs Sami Zayn. Austin loved the match with Johnny Knoxville, and obviously Sami is a safe worker too. Plus the promo work would be great.

Zayn , Owen's and Austin vs Solo and the Usos in a 6 man Survivor tag.  

Or Do an 8 man with Roman and the Bloodline and Rock on the other side.