DVDVR Message Board

November 2022 Wrestling Discussion

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Exactly what I think when someone throws a punch at me: "NORTHERN LIGHTS SUPLEX~!"

After seeing clips of middle aged Bobby Fish try to box and whoever they picked to be his opponent, you will think, "shit, they should just switch to throwing suplexes".

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Is all that '70s Houston that came out a few years back still accessible somewhere? Or did Corgan buy it and box it up in the metaphorical attic?

Some of it pops up on Youtube and I think everything that was available is on the KrisPLettuce Google Drive.

Speaking of which I put on some random CWF while I was cleaning the house yesterday and I was not prepared to see a young, bald Mr Pogo doing an 'evil Oriental' gimmick. Or Bill Alphonso as a ref.

• Thanks 1

So today, TNT Extreme Wrestling announced Effy’s Big Gay Brunch UK in Liverpool, the day before Eurovision. Hours earlier, Progress Wrestling announced a show in Dubai, where being gay is illegal. So yay TNT, Boo Progress, right? Well, not really. They’re the same company, the owners of TNT bought Progress last year.

It kind of looks like an exercise in having one’s cake and eating it.

21 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Not only was it done, but to the point where Leon White got confused when his theme hit when he wasn't slated to wrestle.

What's that on Mick's head? Did he paint his skull black?

Edited by Robert s

i am about 45 minutes into the first TNA episode of 2003. sweet baby jesus, i am fucking sick of Vince Russo.  it is completely unacceptable how much tv time was wasted on this absolute dogshit character. he actively makes every segment that he's in worse. so of course, he's already shown up 3 times

🤢🤮

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i am about 45 minutes into the first TNA episode of 2003. sweet baby jesus, i am fucking sick of Vince Russo.  it is completely unacceptable how much tv time was wasted on this absolute dogshit character. he actively makes every segment that he's in worse. so of course, he's already shown up 3 times

🤢🤮

Eric Bischoff and Vince McMahon should be tarred and feathered for making the "loud executive shows up on camera multiple times a show to be obnoxious" trope a thing. It's a bottom-three wrestling trope ever. 

EDIT: Maybe we can scrape some of the tar for this purpose off Mick Foley's head. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Reflecting back on the playstation wwe games, just wwe games in general I guess since they've got sooo many out right, and the upcoming AEW game, is there a "cover curse" for wrestling like there used to be for the Madden games and now supposedly the UFC games too?

Wrestlers pop up on a cover and jinx themselves with injury bug or something?

Not to my knowledge. The AEW art is likely going to change, Punk is front and center (though a bunch of folks are on it behind him- and honestly I was not a big fan of the design at all anyway). The covers of the latest WWE games since I picked them back up after a decade off were Rey (22, refund) Becky/Roman (20, skipped) AJ Styles (19) Seth Rollins (18) Brock (17) and Austin (16).

37 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

Sorry for the weird formatting, board is acting strangely on mobile again

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Reflecting back on the playstation wwe games, just wwe games in general I guess since they've got sooo many out right, and the upcoming AEW game, is there a "cover curse" for wrestling like there used to be for the Madden games and now supposedly the UFC games too?

I don't really buy the MMA curse shit. It's MMA where some of the top fighters have double digit losses.

• Like 2

Can we reopen the What If? thread?

If not...

Lot of talk about whether DDP should have ended the streak. What happens instead if Goldberg and DDP essentially switch spots in 1998. DDP beats Hogan for the title and gets a meaningless run up until dropping it to Nash at Starrcade. Goldberg instead does the celebrity tag matches with Malone and Leno (which perhaps adds a bit of uncertainty to the streak if its now on the line with Jay Leno as his partner?), and then you do the title run in early 99 instead?

DDP ends up doing a midcard tag team in 99 anyway, so you lose nothing there as a result of him having a heatless title reign with midcard matches. I feel like they let him cool off a bit a few times in 98 without any reason. Seemed the right time to put the title on him, and too late when they did. 

Goldberg made sense to get the title when he did, but once they did the title run and ended the streak, they kind of ended him. There was probably more of a chase to be done here before he got the title, rather than panic and put it on him to generate one last big ratings pop. 

• Like 2

DDP should have definitely gotten a reign as a babyface even if it was 1-3 months. As far as ending the streak, he and Bret are my only real choices as people who I wanted to end the streak. 

DDP should have at least gotten a singles PPV main event against Hollywood Hogan. 

People always talk about WCW not pushing the younger talent but I feel like they left so much money on the table with their established talent in 98. Sting/Goldberg should have been a PPV match instead of a match thrown out on Nitro with Hogan getting involved.  When they finally had their PPV match in 1999, it was after WCW lost its momentum. Hogan and Nash definitely should have had a match in 1998 when the nWo split up. Of course Hogan and Bret was probably the biggest missed opportunity. Even a Sting/Nash match, which ended up as 2 Nitro main events with no finish, should have been an obvious PPV match

Edited by evidence
  • Like 3

a Hogan/Goldberg rematch never happened, let alone on PPV. Booker vs Goldberg could have been big for them also. 

Hogan/Nash should have happened after Hogan turned on him at Slamboree. Outside of that awful main event at Fall Brawl where everyone played dead for what seemed like weeks, nothing really happened there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Can we reopen the What If? thread?

If not...

Lot of talk about whether DDP should have ended the streak. What happens instead if Goldberg and DDP essentially switch spots in 1998. DDP beats Hogan for the title and gets a meaningless run up until dropping it to Nash at Starrcade. Goldberg instead does the celebrity tag matches with Malone and Leno (which perhaps adds a bit of uncertainty to the streak if its now on the line with Jay Leno as his partner?), and then you do the title run in early 99 instead?

DDP ends up doing a midcard tag team in 99 anyway, so you lose nothing there as a result of him having a heatless title reign with midcard matches. I feel like they let him cool off a bit a few times in 98 without any reason. Seemed the right time to put the title on him, and too late when they did. 

Goldberg made sense to get the title when he did, but once they did the title run and ended the streak, they kind of ended him. There was probably more of a chase to be done here before he got the title, rather than panic and put it on him to generate one last big ratings pop. 

IMO DDP fits that celebrity guest tag partner role better than Goldberg. Goldberg's character didn't really fit hanging out with Karl Malone or Jay Leno. Also, part of the reason DDP was there is to work the lion's share of those matches. I mean it's the same reason they would insert Savage or DiBiase in the Hogan vs. Zeus program coming off No Holds Barred.

But yeah, DDP is my pick to stop the streak just cause he was the next guy up. I think some of his momentum from 97 got lost along the way in his forever feud with Raven and the Flock. Tagging with Malone kinda got it back, but boy it didn't seem like he was as hot as he was in 1997 feuding with Savage.

Hell, maybe they could have use that to get a face vs. face feud with Goldberg going. The guy who was going to be the next big WCW star vs. the actual guy who became WCW's big star. My little booking scenario is you let Hogan and Nash continue to fight it out over NWO, and you can have Nash win WW3. However, I would make Starrcade basically be a repeat of WrestleMania X. Goldberg vs. DDP at Havoc ends as a schmoz thus justifying a rematch. Nash demands a title shot at Starrcade. You have it where Goldberg has to defend it first against Nash and the winner meets DDP in the main event later on in the show. Goldberg beats Nash after Hogan distracts Nash thus setting up Hogan vs. Nash legit at SuperBrawl where they do a best of 3 or 5 team series (Luger and Sting in seperate matches vs. NWO B&W members...maybe Giant and Scott Steiner) for the rights to the NWO. Then, in the main event of Starrcade, you have Goldberg dominate a good portion of the match and then DDP makes a comeback. DDP misses a spot and then Goldberg catches him with a spear. Crowd goes nuts. Goldberg takes up him for the Jackhammer. DDP reverses in mid air -> Diamond Cutter. 1.2.3. New WCW World Heavyweight champion. You can close out the trilogy at Souled Out or make SuperBrawl even bigger. However, you have something to look forward to at the beginning of 1999.

• Like 4

I wasn't watching WCW live, so its interesting to hear that. I always assumed that he cooled off during that feud with Hennig in late 97 (This might be a Mandela effect thing here - but did they do a program where Page beat him for the strap a couple of times, but wouldn't take it until he beat him with the Diamond Cutter? I remember this happening but ultimately can't find anything to prove it happened, sooooo, yeah.)

People's Champ DDP against the Flock and Benoit was fantastic. Then got jobbed out for a debuting Ron Reis run in, and it went nowhere, wasn't even on the card at GAB, and then had the Malone tag at BATB. That was a strange lost in the shuffle moment.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I wasn't watching WCW live, so its interesting to hear that. I always assumed that he cooled off during that feud with Hennig in late 97 (This might be a Mandela effect thing here - but did they do a program where Page beat him for the strap a couple of times, but wouldn't take it until he beat him with the Diamond Cutter? I remember this happening but ultimately can't find anything to prove it happened, sooooo, yeah.)

People's Champ DDP against the Flock and Benoit was fantastic. Then got jobbed out for a debuting Ron Reis run in, and it went nowhere, wasn't even on the card at GAB, and then had the Malone tag at BATB. That was a strange lost in the shuffle moment.

I just happened to watch the Nitro the night after the Montreal Screwjob (where it opens with everyone from the NWO coming out with Canadian flags cause fuck subtlety). He faces Hennig on that show, and he's pretty over still. He might have gotten the biggest pop on the show even.

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

There was a Nitro match where Henning got DQed for a run in right before DDP could get the three count on a small package. Might be what you are thinking of.

Oddball choice for ending the streak. Jericho did that thing where he was claiming to be what ever and 0 versus Goldberg, Have the match on PPV and actually have Jericho go over via Bullshit (Ralphus with the tazer maybe) he could get huge heat

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zendragon said:

Oddball choice for ending the streak. Jericho did that thing where he was claiming to be what ever and 0 versus Goldberg, Have the match on PPV and actually have Jericho go over via Bullshit (Ralphus with the tazer maybe) he could get huge heat

since Goldberg refused to work with Jericho, that would be tough to book.

to me, DDP's feud with Curt Hennig seemed out of nowhere, as Hennig had been feuding with Flair for months, and then Starrcade randomly was Hennig defending against DDP. It seemed like a pretty random match for the biggest PPV of the year. i didn't mind the DDP/Flock feud, but i thought Raven was pretty awesome, so YMMV.

• Like 1

Lost in all the bazzfazz over the Scarlett incident at WWE's Peoria show over the weekend (TLDR: fan threw a beer at her and was immediately removed), they had over 4,000 fans and set a record for highest gross sales in the history of WWE shows at the building. Considering that's almost 40 years of events encompassing multiple TV tapings and the Attitude Era, that is nothing to sneeze at.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't really buy the MMA curse shit. It's MMA where some of the top fighters have double digit losses.

Yeah, you're exactly right.  When you're at the top and you're facing people as they get to the top of the rankings, you're going to eventually get knocked off.

• Like 1

Oh, it's time for my yearly "the Diamond Cutter was so over as a flash killer that Goldberg losing to it would have served him better than all the taser crap" post.

You can get rematches out of whether or not the relatively inexperienced Goldberg can avoid the Diamond Cutter, too. That move was built up as instadeath at that point. 

• Like 4

Honestly I’m not sure which of these names Sasha Banks has trademarked I like least:

Mercedes Mone’ (Sounds like a bad painter gimmick)

Mone’ Talks (Assuming for a talk show gimmick, but still not a fan)

Bank Mone’ (Seriously at least rename your finisher. Don’t try to get cute with something WWE invented)

The only one I actually like is Statement Maker, and I’m a bit surprised nobody else had thought of or trademarked that before.