DVDVR Message Board

November 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Speaking of When Worlds Collide...

AAA and Conrad Thompson May Be Planning Wrestlemania-Week Event

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that AAA owner Dorian Roldan and Conrad Thompson are planning an event in the US during Wrestlemania weekend. Roldan had been talking about doing a show with a “good friend” for the US market, which was Thompson.

It’s believed that they would have the event in a 7,000-seat arena in Carson, CA. However there has been no official announcement. Thompson did something similar during Summerslam weekend, running Ric Flair’s Last Match in Nashville. The announcement could come in a few weeks, according to Roldan.

It's an outdoor tennis arena - iutaUF0.jpg

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 4

I remember reading about that some time ago and seeing that Jeff Jarrett was also involved - I don't see his name listed above (bowing out or no longer being able to contractually do so would make sense for obvious reasons).

The moral quandary of Flair actually working a match notwithstanding, I did think the Flair show was actually a pretty nice presentation overall. Very well polished, and if I'm being entirely honest, did NWA better than NWA currently does (at least visually). So I'm curious to see if the presentation will be more like that, or more like AAA (but who knows to what degree their existing infrastructure will be involved - production team/equipment, the actual ring, etc.) I also probably haven't seen current AAA TV in over 10 years, so I'm admittedly not up on things outside of like, if someone throws a highly touted match on YouTube and puts it here, or like on reddit or something. Most of the AAA I catch these days is on Pluto and it's all from 2005 (and looks like it was shot in 1985).

Edit: Another thing to consider is that AAA IS partnered with AEW, so we might see something like how Schiavone and Lethal did/were allowed to do the Flair show, or they may send/allow FTR to defend the titles or something, even if it's just against someone contracted there too like Lucha Bros or someone. Or shit, maybe Jarrett IS still in, who knows. Sammy/Tay were or are the Mixed Tag champs, too. 

Edit 2: This is maybe a little bit of an offshoot conversation, but I also find it really interesting Conrad is promoting another show after swearing he was only doing the Flair one as a family thing. I guess maybe he's got the proverbial bug now. 

For a couple years now it's been an interesting conversation/debate to talk about what a viable #3 would look like in the US now that AEW is established and by all metrics, pretty damn successful. 

ROH is dead, GCW I think seems to be petering out, MLW is irrelevant, WOW is doomed to syndicated hell, TNA remains irrelevant no matter the quality, Freddie Prinze Jr. is taking forever with WSX II, the NWA fell off a cliff during the pandemic, Strong is a non-factor. 

I say all this to say, TK has been largely successful beyond anyone's expectations, even my own, I think owing (to a degree) to his own fandom and sense of "This is what I want to see." It would be interesting if it turned out Conrad was that guy, and took a similar approach to making a bid for the #3 spot in the States. Maybe that's been the missing ingredient that lifers like Callis and D'Amore, or ex-WWEers like Court haven't been able to conjure, not out of any lack of drive or talent or skill, but more just because they have been on the inside for so long. Food for thought anyway.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It would be interesting if it turned out Conrad was that guy, and took a similar approach to making a bid for the #3 spot in the States.

He trademarked "SuperClash" recently, so even if he just runs themed supershows every year piggybacking off WrestleMania and SummerSlam, he's going to be successful.

AAA would absolutely need an American laison to put together talent/commentators/producers for a serious expansion into the United States, but I'm not sure if that's on the table or if they're just doing the Arizona show in December and the WrestleMania weekend show to gauge interest.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

He trademarked "SuperClash" recently, so even if he just runs themed supershows every year piggybacking off WrestleMania and SummerSlam, he's going to be successful.

AAA would absolutely need an American laison to put together talent/commentators/producers for a serious expansion into the United States, but I'm not sure if that's on the table or if they're just doing the Arizona show in December and the WrestleMania weekend show to gauge interest.

Oh yeah, that second thought about Conrad trying for #3 was separate from the AAA involvement. Between the various PPVs and joint shows and US Spanish language TV, and the couple years of LU, plus the AEW and old WCW  partnerships, I think they've kind of got an idea of where they're at in terms of US penetration by now. The speculation on Conrad getting in the game full time was just a fun comment that didn't warrant a thread. I agree keeping these shows wrapped around things like WM or Starrcast is probably a safer bet for him. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

John Arezzi ? Ron Skoler? 😀

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

I've been to that venue for a Bernie Sanders rally. It would be excellent for wrestling, great sightlines and small enough for an intimate vibe

The smaller tennis venue (the Chargers played in the larger venue before SoFi opened IIRC) at what use to be Home Depot Center has been the home of a lot of the best boxing bouts in the last 15 years. Part of the reason it's been used so much by boxing promoters is those very reasons you stated. Also doesn't hurt that many of those fights included prominent Mexican and Mexican-American boxers. It's basically become what the fabolous Forum was in the first half of the 1990s and before that the Olympic Auditorium in the middle of the 20th century. I mean they tried to do that with Staples Center back when it first opened (the first major event was De La Hoya vs. Mosley I, which was huge at the time), but it never had the allure of those other venues.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2022 at 4:58 PM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

The damn (moderndayequivalentofa) booker of the major fed teasing the recipient of the fed's main title belt change and it being reported on social media is exactly what turns my stomach about pro wrestling today. This does not make the product more compelling or sell (moderndayequivalentof) tickets. Just because everyone ignores kay fabe does not mean it is dead. Try it a little - it might improve the "product". Lou Thesz can spin in his grave and I don't care, but this shite would make the corpse of Buddy Rodgers weep zombie tears. Feh.

Jim Cornette was complaining (among a jillion other other (justified) things) about Tony Khan doing essentially this same thing re. Jeff Jarrett "invading" AEW and later TK welcoming him on Twitter and talking about his office position. Just don't say anything at all if you don't want to engage with kay fabe. It is more insulting to me to do this total backstage reveal. Ugh. Note: RAF does not watch AEW or do the Twitters, and feels more happy about these decisions every day.  

"Hustlers of the world, there is one mark you cannot beat: the mark inside." - WSBurroughs

1 hour ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Jim Cornette was complaining (among a jillion other other (justified) things) about Tony Khan doing essentially this same thing re. Jeff Jarrett "invading" AEW and later TK welcoming him on Twitter and talking about his office position. Just don't say anything at all if you don't want to engage with kay fabe. It is more insulting to me to do this total backstage reveal. Ugh. Note: RAF does not watch AEW or do the Twitters, and feels more happy about these decisions every day.  

"Hustlers of the world, there is one mark you cannot beat: the mark inside." - WSBurroughs

This is why we gotta stop using lead based paint in this country. 

Saraya. She apparently said this on Renee's podcast. 

But I would say it as a general rule. It's one thing if you have a bad knee and ask guys not to work it, that's one thing. But to have shell shock over being hit from behind and you can't be hit, that seems like a bigger deal to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I had a dream this morning where I was hanging out at some deserted mini-mall and walked in a door where a newly-risen Takayama was taking questions. He had shrunken to about four foot tall but was very nice and shook my hand. 

That is all. Hey, we can dream, can't we?

Mini Vader vs. Mini Takayama for the mini Triple Crown...book it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Mini Vader is an awesome idea for a luchador. Has that been done before? It seems like a lock. 

EDIT: Of course it has, and even was done in WWF, by the late Espectrito 

See the source image

Not only was it done, but to the point where Leon White got confused when his theme hit when he wasn't slated to wrestle.

• Haha 3