DVDVR Message Board

November 2022 Wrestling Discussion

2 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:
  • "Oh, you didn't know?
  • "Yo' ass better CALLLLL SOMEBODDDAYYYYY"
  • "It's me, it's me, it's that D-O-Double G!"

What are the other two? And are we counting the first two listed there as a continuation of the same catchphrase, in which case we need three more?

Umm I’m assuming one is “Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, WWF proudly brings to you, it’s WWF Tag Team Champions of the World, the Road Dogg Jesse James, the Bad Ass Billy Gunn, the New Age Outlaws”.

But I could be wrong. Plus maybe “let’s get ready to suck it”? I can’t remember which of the DX guys originated that one. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Log said:

Remember that period where every single goddamn wrestler thought they needed some stupid-ass catchphrase to shoehorn into their promos?

That sucked.

Please, let's expound on this.

What are the damn stupidest catchphrases from that time?  The worst one I can think of atm is when the Rock tried to get over "How's Your Lips?"

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, nate said:

What are the damn stupidest catchphrases from that time?  The worst one I can think of atm is when the Rock tried to get over "How's Your Lips?"

"Popcorn fart," also the Rock. 

Awful.

"Strudel," also awful, as was "poontang pie." All shit. 

Funny enough, he had that fantastic promo where he was trying to get over "most electrifying" and did everyone else's catchphrases that I think is a classic.

But mostly, the Rock was great when he was riffing. The night he murdered Billy Gunn. The night he murdered Toronto in a heel turn. "Leavin' Sacramento." When he wasn't trying to get catchphrases over, he was truly stellar. Could do anything he wanted on the mic. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:
  • "Oh, you didn't know?

What are the other two? And are we counting the first two listed there as a continuation of the same catchphrase, in which case we need three more?

"Let's make a little noise up in this building."

"Welcome to the dog house."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Something something dog pound. Something something doggy style. I think shiznit was in there too.

Ah man, the 90s.

A man obsessed with "doing it doggystyle" who constantly hung around "Mr. Ass", I still think the NAO was a lowkey Boston Marriage gimmick 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LF2 said:

“Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, WWF proudly brings to you, it’s WWF Tag Team Champions of the World, the Road Dogg Jesse James, the Bad Ass Billy Gunn, the New Age Outlaws”.

I remember New Age Outlaws lost the tag belts on PPV after a lengthy title reign, and the next night on RAW instead of not doing the intro, Road Dogg did it but just quickly and unenthusiastically added "(former)" before "WWF Tag Team Champions of the World!".

Always thought that was cute.

• Like 3

Man I thought Road Dogg was the shiznit back in the day. I attribute most of that to being 13 and new to wrestling, so I didn't realize how bad he was. Not surprising to hear he has some garbage opinions in his old age.

Also does every wrestler have a podcast now? I saw that Rene Dupree of all people has one, who is that for? The clip I saw of it has him stopping mid-sentence to do a line of coke so I hope he gets some help.

• Sad 2

@Octopus list had me trying to think of actively good Road Dogg match, as in I would want to watch again. Someone mentioned the dumpster match, but the RAW cage match against Funk and Foley where NAO join DX should have been my pick for him or the Three way at Deadly Games Surviour Series

Also should have mentioned Shield v Wyatts for Seth Rollins

That Deadly Games match is just there IMO. It's not bad, but it's rushed like everything else, and it doesn't have the benefit of also being a part of the tournament narrative. I give Russo credit for the Deadly Games tournament as a concept, even if Vince and Pat probably sanded down the edges to make it all fit together. 

But I digress: Watch Roadie/Kid IYH 2, @zendragon, and tell me what you think having seen it with fresh eyes. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, zendragon said:

A man obsessed with "doing it doggystyle" who constantly hung around "Mr. Ass", I still think the NAO was a lowkey Boston Marriage gimmick 

Okay okay hear me out, 🤣 This makes soooo much sense when you get to the Billy and Chuck team later down the road 😳

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nate said:

Russo-era WCW had a lot.

“You don’t like me? Bite me!”

”Slapnuts”

Everything that came out of Konan’s mouth. In fact, I’d say he’s the worst since he didn’t even attempt coherent promos. He’d just rattle off catchphrases. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

On a similar note, I find it funny that DX got a casually-homophobic, mostly-male audience in the '90s to show such  excitement about "get[ting] ready to suck it."

And by "it," we meant "dongs." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

On a similar note, I find it funny that DX got a casually-homophobic, mostly-male audience in the '90s to show such  excitement about "get[ting] ready to suck it."

Lest we forget that one DX promo where HHH says something about being bi- many things but bilingual wasn't one of them 

22 minutes ago, ka-to said:

Throw in some various berry and you have a Konnan promo. 

Just reminded of Stevie Ray with Fruity Booties, and Taz in Impact with tomatoes (fuck its been forever since Taz did TNA commentary but wasn't tomatoes a reference to the knockouts or am I completely brain farting*?)

*most likely yes

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:
  • "Oh, you didn't know?

Sorry I was just riffing on the old Bret thing.

On the Konnan thing I remember on his podcast him talking about all the stuff he would say at the start of his promos in WCW and how one of the lines he used he completely made up and just sounded bad and how that was the only one they ever actually asked him to stop using. 

2 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

plus the whole imagery of Xpac doing the Bronco Buster

• Like 1