DVDVR Message Board

November 2022 Wrestling Discussion

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

R-Truth tore his quad vs. Grayson Walker on NXT last week requiring surgery. Bugger. Get well soon.

Please, please, please Hunter, if you are lurking here with Tony K looking for ideas, PLEASE give R-Truth a huge comeback video set to Beautiful Day.

Build it up for weeks and have him return on RAW/SDL at MSG wearing a denim and leather jacket.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

random note inspired by watching Super Sunday 83 last night: Wendi Richter was working as a heel pre-WWF (to the point of being a heel on Mid-South and a face on the WWF at the same time), so I wonder if they ever thought of turning her heel in the WWF. Of course, in that universe, they weren't about to get a 2nd major womens wrestler, or turn their top women's babyface. So no inversion of Hogan/Orndorff or Hogan/Savage where Richter is in the Hogan spot and turns heel out of jealousy towards the popularity of that friend.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

random note inspired by watching Super Sunday 83 last night: Wendi Richter was working as a heel pre-WWF (to the point of being a heel on Mid-South and a face on the WWF at the same time), so I wonder if they ever thought of turning her heel in the WWF. Of course, in that universe, they weren't about to get a 2nd major womens wrestler, or turn their top women's babyface. So no inversion of Hogan/Orndorff or Hogan/Savage where Richter is in the Hogan spot and turns heel out of jealousy towards the popularity of that friend.

I saw some of Wendi's stuff in Japan IIRC tagging with Leilani as a heel, and she was great. I also saw a cage match she did with Monster Ripper in Puerto Rico, but she was obviously the face there. That was good. Was Moolah's vortex of just stereotypical ladies rasslin in WWF such a setback that it made everything that wasn't JBA vs. the Glamour Girls or an occasional Crush Gals appearance suck tremendously?

I just saw Richter wrestle as a heel against Velvet McIntyre in 1982. It was a good match.

She definitely had the "mean, snarling Texan" trope down.

On another note: Road Dogg's best match is as the Roadie vs. 1-2-3 Kid at IYH 2. It has a great finish and Roadie is hilarious in the post-match. Dude looked like a boss.

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

If Madusa had started wresting a couple years earlier, I could see Vince wanting her as his women's champ, but her first matches (at least on cagematch) were mid 1987.

I said this before, but the getup she had on in AJW when she wrestled Lioness Asuka IIRC made her look like a real big deal. She looked like the embodiment of a female Ric Flair more than Charlotte. The wrestling ability...not so much. However, she looked like a star. She also looked like a MTV video vixen. That would have played huge with the demo that Sable and Sunny would eventually get 9 or 10 years later.

• Like 8

I said that Roadie had a good match with 1-2-3 Kid, but Bret's match with 1-2-3 Kid on RAW was way better. Therefore, Bret wins. 

Moving on.

(Seriously, what is up with Road Dogg desperately seeking attention by being outlandish and saying dumb shit on Twitter? This man is in his fifties and going out sad like this after carving out a good niche for himself as the talker of a mediocre tag team in an especially hot era. Just be happy with what you got, lesser Armstrong. It's more than most get.)

• Like 7

1 minute ago, (BP) said:

It’s almost like he’s doing it to get attention for his podcast. 

I agree, but it goes beyond that for me The begging AEW for a job, for example. Yeah, he was trying to get a job, but in the saddest way possible. If you're going to be a carny, you need to be good at it instead of generally pathetic. If I roll my eyes at the work, that's probably not great. 

It's kinda like that, but for his podcast. "People like Bret? A new generation of wrestlers is really into his work? Oh ho! I know how I can get people to listen in!" But all it did was remind me what a shitty carny this dude is. It certainly isn't going to get me to subject myself to listening to Road Dogg's opinions on, well, anything. 

• Like 2

A year ago I attended WWE Live. I read the headline that WALTER was added to some UK Tour dates but you had to click to find out which. Thankfully he was on ours and it got better when it was announced he'd be in a dream match vs. Cesaro. At the time, WALTER rarely did house shows. Ditto for NXT Champion Tommaso Ciampa and Bron Breakker. WALTER vs. Cesaro was terrific as you'd expect with how great both are.

I got to see my favourites in WALTER, Cesaro, Sasha Banks, Finn Balor, Sheamus and Shinsuke Nakamura. Turns out we got lucky because the next night Finn Balor was removed as an injury precaution so Cesaro vs. WALTER went to a DQ turning into Cesaro/Drew McIntyre vs. WALTER/Sheamus and the night after, Cesaro/Finn Balor vs. WALTER/Sheamus only. Reminds me of seeing DANIEL BRYAN at my first wrestling show in April 2015. Bryan would wrestle on the Smackdown TV episode a few days later and was pulled from the European tour. That Smackdown match would be his last retiring in February 2016 and getting cleared to come back in March 2018.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

If you're going to be a carny, you need to be good at it instead of generally pathetic.

I’ve felt this way about Roadie and Billy since they went on a shoot interview spree burying Shawn and Hunter and then blamed it entirely on drugs when they were brought back. It was tacky and desperate. At least Billy can still go and he’s entertaining. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Road Dog was a career midcarder who put over a few catch phrases lol

To be fair, he's the man most directly responsible for Jerry Lawler screeching PUPPIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the next decade.  

How many catchphrases did Bret have stolen by Jerry?  Zero.  

Case close

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

To be fair, he's the man most directly responsible for Jerry Lawler screeching PUPPIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the next decade.  

Case close

Hahaha very funny

**waves arms in the air** MODS PLEASE TAKE CARE OF THIS GENTLEMAN IMMEDIATELY

AND YES I KNOW HE IS A MOD BUT THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Case close

“The 5 catchphrases of doom”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, FourPostMassacre said:

“The 5 catchphrases of doom”

• "Oh, you didn't know?
  • "Yo' ass better CALLLLL SOMEBODDDAYYYYY"
  • "It's me, it's me, it's that D-O-Double G!"

What are the other two? And are we counting the first two listed there as a continuation of the same catchphrase, in which case we need three more?