DVDVR Message Board

November 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Vince still is majority WWE owner, owns 32% of shares, has 81 percent of the voting power for internal matters and decides the board.  Vince controls executive pay and every major decision senior management makes. He controls the sale of WWE and any M&A activity.

However in recent news, he is really really done with WWE. Meaning he won't return to his old roles he gave up.

Still he owns another company,  Alpha Entertainment. He could make a new wrestling company..... time for the XWE(?) pal.

16 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I always loved Bigelow, good or bad matches. But I think his best matches are in Memphis when he was basically a rookie. When I got the DVDVR Memphis set and saw a couple of them it blew my mind. 

Memphis? I might have to check these out. I don't remember his Memphis run. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red King said:

Still he owns another company,  Alpha Entertainment. He could make a new wrestling company..... time for the XWE(?) pal.

Total fantasy here, but imagine if a sizeable donation to save the pandas (philanthropy is the future of marketing) got him the rights to use the WWF name again? Hell, I think it would be smart for WWE itself to at least try. It's not nostalgia talking, either; I just legitimately feel that it's still the superior brand name after 20+ years. 

• Like 2

Panda had it first and Sports Entertainment/Wrestling is too lowbrow for them and they didn't want their brand to be associated with the then WWF of Wrestling. Also the problem of Brand confusion. 

Best you would get in today's world is the World Wrestling Federation name reverted back but no initials, the reverse of WWE's orphan initialism. 

Anyway I don't expect complete reversal of everything that happened to WWE these past 20 years. Only seems WrestleMania is getting the numbering back.

Moneywise the WWE name is more profitable and made and makes them more revenue.

I don't think I ever realised how little Hogan and Savage actually teamed during their 17 month long pairing as the Megapowers.

• 2 six-man matches, one with one with Hogan, Savage and Steamboat, vs Bundy Rude and Race, one the Mega Powers and Duggan vs Honky and the Hart Foundation
  • 1 handicap match with Hogan and Savage vs the Hart Foundation and Honky
  • The main event of SummerSlam '88: The Mega Powers vs the Mega Bucks
  • The main event of Survivor Series '88: Hogan, Savage, Koko, Hillbilly and Hercules vs Bossman, Akeem, DiBiase, Rooster and Haku
  • The main event of "The Main Event II" with Hogan and Savage vs the Twin Towers.

Six matches in total, only two of which were traditional two on two tag matches.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Red King said:

Vince Russo's consultant job he had with USA network until WM38

https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/news-vince-russo-reveals-real-reason-usa-network-hired-went-wrong-wwe-exclusive

WWE mostly ignored his ideas. 

I was just talking with someone about how it has to be nice to be a football (pro or college or both) coach who, at some point, had some success. You can turn into a complete disaster and someone, somewhere will still hire you.

I think it's the same with wrestling bookers. If you've made a dime in the wrestling business, someone somewhere will hire you.

• Like 2

I always thought during the panda vs. titan logo/name angst that the company should have changed its name to UUWF and only refer to it as "double-u dubba-u eff", as it retcons the former name pronounciation.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hamhock said:

I always thought during the panda vs. titan logo/name angst that the company should have changed its name to UUWF and only refer to it as "double-u dubba-u eff", as it retcons the former name pronounciation.

The Ultimate Universal Wrestling Federation

Bill Watts: The universe is bigger than the world.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Red King said:

Vince Russo's consultant job he had with USA network until WM38

https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/news-vince-russo-reveals-real-reason-usa-network-hired-went-wrong-wwe-exclusive

WWE mostly ignored his ideas. 

BRO BRO BRO... DUCK MAN. BRING BACK DUCK MAN. THAT'LL GET THE RATINGS

On 11/2/2022 at 10:45 PM, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

My man Flair had some legit venom for Bigelow here TBH. 

I was suitably entertained. 

I believe this is the first time I've heard this interview and I absolutely love it. I remember the Bam Bam- Windham match but did we ever get a series of Flair-Bigelow matches?

YOUR FAVORITE MATCH WITH THESE 50 RANDOM WRESTLERS?

Bryan Danielson/ Daniel Bryan

Antonio Inoki

Giant Baba

Dump Matsumoto

El Hijo Del Santo

Billy Robinson

Seth Rollins / Tyler Black

Akira Hokuto

Roaddog 

Fit Finlay

El Satanico

Yoshiaki Fujiwara

Sasha Banks

Ricky Morton

Negro Casa

Jim Breaks

The Miz

Bull Nakano

Johnny Saint

Kenta Kobashi

Jack Evans

Takeshi Morishima 

Big Show / The Giant / Paul White

El Dandy

Dynamite Kansai 

Vader

Hiroshi Tanahashi 

Sting

Mick Foley / Mankind / Cactus Jack / Dude Love

Steve Grey

Mayu Iwatani

William Regal

Kenny Omega

D’Lo Brown

Dr Death Steve Williams

Aja Kong

Becky Lynch

Adrian Street

The Rock

Eddie Guerrero 

Trish Stratus

Nick Bockwinkel 

Dory Funk Jr

The Destroyer

Bruiser Brody

Darby Allin

John Cena

Paul London

Nigel McGuiness 

Rey Mysterio Jr

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Antonio Inoki

Giant Baba

Dump Matsumoto

El Hijo Del Santo

Billy Robinson

Akira Hokuto

Roaddog 

Fit Finlay

El Satanico

Yoshiaki Fujiwara

Sasha Banks

Ricky Morton

Negro Casa

Jim Breaks

The Miz

Bull Nakano

Johnny Saint

Kenta Kobashi

Jack Evans

Takeshi Morishima 

El Dandy

Dynamite Kansai 

Vader

Hiroshi Tanahashi 

Sting

Steve Grey

Mayu Iwatani

William Regal

Kenny Omega

D’Lo Brown

Dr Death Steve Williams

Aja Kong

Becky Lynch

Adrian Street

The Rock

Eddie Guerrero 

Trish Stratus

Nick Bockwinkel 

Dory Funk Jr

The Destroyer

Bruiser Brody

Darby Allin

John Cena

Paul London

Nigel McGuiness 

Rey Mysterio Jr

Not a quarter! Garr, he'll be dancing for hours. : r/TheSimpsons

Not 50! Garr, @The Natural be listing for hours!

• Haha 10

50 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Antonio Inoki

Giant Baba

Dump Matsumoto

El Hijo Del Santo

Billy Robinson

Akira Hokuto

Roaddog 

Fit Finlay

El Satanico

Yoshiaki Fujiwara

Sasha Banks

Ricky Morton

Negro Casa

Jim Breaks

The Miz

Bull Nakano

Johnny Saint

Kenta Kobashi

Jack Evans

Takeshi Morishima 

El Dandy

Dynamite Kansai 

Vader

Hiroshi Tanahashi 

Sting

Steve Grey

Mayu Iwatani

William Regal

Kenny Omega

D’Lo Brown

Dr Death Steve Williams

Aja Kong

Becky Lynch

Adrian Street

The Rock

Eddie Guerrero 

Trish Stratus

Nick Bockwinkel 

Dory Funk Jr

The Destroyer

Bruiser Brody

Darby Allin

John Cena

Paul London

Nigel McGuiness 

Rey Mysterio Jr

• Bryan/Roman - Fastlane 2015
  • Inoki/Vader - 1/4/96
  • Baba/Destroyer - unknown
  • Shield vs. Bryan/Kane/Ryback - TLC 2012
  • Hokuto/Kandori - Dreamslam I
  • Sasha/Bayley - Takeover Respect or Sasha/Bianca - Wrestlemania 37
  • Bull/Grizzly vs. Jungle Jack - 8/19/90 (doubles for boht Bull and Aja)
  • Misawa/Kobashi vs. Kawada/Taue - 6/9/95
  • Morishima/Bryan - ROH Title (not sure which one)
  • Tanahashi/Goto - 11/11/-08
  • Sting/Vader - not sure which one
  • Mayu/Io - 5/15/16
  • Rock/Hogan Wrestlemania 19 or Rock/Austin Wrestlemania 17

Skipped those who I hadn't seen enough of and people like Foley, Cena, Vader, etc. where its just so hard to boil it down to even just two.

• Like 2

NEWZ~!!! 

Nick Aldis has given his notice to Billy Corgan and will be leaving the NWA at the end of the year. 

Being in a company that is pushing Tyrus as a top star would frustrate anyone, innit?

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 8:58 PM, Dog said:

It probably would. Duckman ruled.

LORD HAVE MERCY! GOOD GOD Y'ALL! LET'S GET UP AND GET DOWN BY DOING THE FUNKY DUCKMAN!
GETCHA DOWN-DOWN, YA THRUST YA PELVIS

Anyway......

Bryan Danielson/ Daniel Bryan - Feels like there's no wrong answer for this one but recentcy bias has me thinking more of his AEW stuff than WWE and Ring of Honor. Gonna go with vs. Minoru Suzuki on the buy in to Rampage that one time. Matches vs. Morishima and Joe in Ring of Honor stand out too.

Seth Rollins / Tyler Black - vs. Cena and Lesnar at Royal Rumble. Shield vs. The Wyatts. The cash in on Roman and Brock.  

Road Dogg - Don't know if I can pick a good one but the dumpster match vs. Cactus and Funk was at least memorable

Fit Finlay - Okay so left field. Back around like... '06ish I think, he had a match with Miz where him and Hornswoggle just fucked with the Miz all match.

Sasha Banks - Bayley, Takeover: Brooklyn

The Miz - Are there any really great Miz matches? I guess the first run of Miz and Morrison tags were fun 

Kenta Kobashi - GHC Title vs. Suzuki, vs. Hansen (with that lariat), the one super famous tag with Misawa vs. Kawada/Taue

Jack Evans - Steel Cage Warfare: Generation Next vs. The Embassy. I remember one Strong/Evans vs. Reyes/Romero tag being a lot of fun. Vs. Danielson when I swore Dragon was gonna snap him in half with some of the ways he was stretching him.

Takeshi Morishima - Vs. Danielson at Final Battle, Vs. Claudio (defending the RoH Title). That one Kings of Wrestling vs. Morishima and I forget who his partner was but Claudio hit the UFO on Morishima which just.... one of the most insane things in wrestling I've ever seen

Big Show / The Giant / Paul White - Curious to see what people say about him

Hiroshi Tanahashi - vs. Naito at WrestleKingdom (WK 11). I was out of New Japan for a while but a few friends invited me over to watch this show for... another match that got a lot of hype. This would have stolen the show on any other night. Defending the IWGP belt vs. Suzuki (seeing a pattern here....). Almost any time he hooks up with Okada

Mick Foley / Mankind / Cactus Jack / Dude Love - HHH, street fight (I know the Cell match gets all the love but I stand with this one being better). Mindgames vs. HBK

William Regal - OH, I can answer this for Big Show too. When using the knucks backfired.

Kenny Omega - Okada, WK 11. Either of the Danielson matches in AEW. Kenny/Hangman vs. The Bucks (Revolution).

Becky Lynch - vs. Sasha at one the early Takeovers

The Rock - vs. Austin, Mania 17. Ladder match vs. HHH, Summerslam, IC Title. 

Eddie Guerrero - Rey, Halloween Havoc. vs. Lesnar. Vs. Angle at Mania (tremendous finish to that one)

Darby Allin - vs. Jericho, second Dynamite

John Cena - vs. Danielson

Nigel McGuiness - defending the RoH vs. Steen. Steen sloooooowly walking out of the way of the rebound Lariat. 

Rey Mysterio - vs. Eddie, Halloween Havoc

Edited by Nineteen
deleted Hansen section
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll do the ones I know more about:

Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan: vs. John Cena at WWE SummerSlam 2013. *****.

Seth Rollins/Tyler Black: The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family, WWE Elimination Chamber 2014. *****.

Fit Finlay: vs. Steven Regal. WCW Uncensored 1996.

Sasha Banks: vs. Bayley, WWE NXT TakeOver: Respect 2015. *****. Always preferred this to the NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn 2015 bout. Have that at ***** as well.

The Miz: vs. Daniel Bryan, WWE SummerSlam 2018.

Bull Nakano: vs. Alundra Blayze, WWF SummerSlam 1994.

Kenta Kobashi: w/Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue, AJPW 9th June 1995. *****. My pick for second best match in wrestling history behind Bret Hart vs Steve Austin, WWF WrestleMania 13, *****.

Takeshi Morishima: vs. Bryan Danielson, ROH Manhattan Mayhem II. *****.

Big Show/The Giant/Paul White: vs. Sheamus, WWE Hell in a Cell 2012.

Vader: vs. Sting, WCW Starrcade 1992.

Hiroshi Tanahashi: vs. Kazuchika Okada, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10. *****. Honourable mention to Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki, NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling 2012. Have that as ***** as well.

Sting: vs. Cactus Jack, WCW Power Hour, 19th November 1991. A match that needs talking up more. Much better than Beach Blast 1992.

Mick Foley/Mankind/Cactus Jack/Dude Love: vs. Shawn Michaels. WWF In Your House 10: Mind Games. *****.

William Regal: vs. Antonio Cesaro, WWE NXT TV, 25th December 2013. *****.

Kenny Omega: vs. Kazuchika Okada at NJPW Dominion 2018. *****. Marginally over vs. Okada from NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 and vs. Bryan Danielson at AEW Grand Slam Dynamite 2021. Both *****.

Becky Lynch: vs. Sasha Banks, WWE NXT TakeOver: Unstoppable 2015.

The Rock: vs. Chris Jericho, WWF No Mercy 2001.

Eddie Guerrero: vs. Rey Mysterio, WCW Halloween Havoc 1997. *****.

Darby Allin: w/Sting vs. #FTR. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite 2021.

John Cena: vs. Daniel Bryan, WWE SummerSlam 2013. *****.

Paul London: vs. AJ Styles, ROH Night of the Grudges 2003.

Nigel McGuiness: vs. Austin Aries, ROH Rising Above 2007.

Rey Mysterio Jr: vs. Eddie Guerrero, WCW Halloween Havoc 1997. *****.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joe has got some fire face to face promos that just draw you into immediate hype mode, me at least

Joe Kurt Angle

Joe Brock

Joe cutting that scathing promo on Jeff Hardy and everyone else waiting around in the ring to challenge for a belt

Are the first three off the top.of my head

• Like 1