DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 10/31 - 11/6/2022

nofuture

Truth/Waller was decent up until Truth's injury. Waller unfortunately underestimated how far Truth could dive and it looks like he messed up his leg. Hopefully its nothing too serious. 

Kiana/Thea was pretty decent with Kiana really coming across like she wanted to hurt Thea. The stuff with Duke was decent as a story. Mostly happy with the post match since it means more of Regal's son on NXT tv.

Joens/Bernal was decent enough.

Surprisingly dug the Schism segment. Ava is  surprisingly decent talker, and the angle they are using for her joining is solid. I only wish I enjoyed Schism more. Unfortunately, Gacy lacks the charisma Bray had as cult leader.

Indi/Zoey was pretty solid and probably the best outing Indi has had in NXT so far. Not sure what happened, but she seems to have finally started improving. Was worried since it never quite happened with the IIconics. Dug the story of this one with Zoey getting more and more frustrated as the match went on, only avoiding dq due to Lyons talking her out of murdering Indi via powerbomb through the announce table. Stark is clearly gearing up to turn heel, and I'm more than ok with it. Will be interesting to see if Lyons joins her.

My net went screwy during the middle of Mandy's celebration, but I dug what I caught in the beginning and end as far as Toxic Attractions talking went. Alba attacking afterwards worked I guess, but I can't say I'm excited to see her challenge again. Was really hoping it would Roxanne or someone new making an attempt on the belt.

The Pretty Deadly/Bron/Wes segment that opened the show was fun. The tag titles match between them in the main event was even better. Pretty Deadly are so darn good in everything they do be it bumping around, being obnoxious assholes, or controlling another team. Bron & Wes worked well together and were perfect foils for Pretty Deadly. Everything built up well into a super fun match from beginning to end. The finish with Hayes interfering worked well enough here though I think they cut to the entrance 20 seconds earlier than they were supposed to. The post match with Wagner attacking Bron worked as well. Been wondering when we would finally see the two fight. Wagner isn't a great wrestler, but he is good and has a decent momentum of dislike from the NXT audience which harder to maintain than one would think. Actually looking forward to them facing off.

• Like 2

Lot of people shitting on Waller for not catching Truth but I think the biggest question is why is R-Truth doing flippy moves in NXT to begin with.   He is one guy that definitely doesn't need that.    

The Alba Fyre title stuff is just dumb at this point.   If she loses again it makes look like a bigger goof.  If she does win and gets the title then it makes the previous title matches seem stupid because it was clear that having a year reign was the ultimate goal.  

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Waller unfortunately underestimated how far Truth could dive and it looks like he messed up his leg.

Just watched the spot on YouTube and Truth barely clears the edge of the ring,  Waller’s practically next to the ring and Truth still comes up short,  I’m not entirely sure he cleared the top rope cleanly.  It looks like he might have clipped the rope.  If he did clear it, it was close.   Not sure what actually happened, but it doesn’t look like Waller’s fault to me.

Truth’s landing doesn’t look that bad and he doesn’t land on his knee, but he immediately rolls over and grabs it, so it looks to me like he’s either selling or he hurt the knee before the leap.  He did a jumping split right before the spot and sorta reached down and brushed the knee as he popped up, but I’m not sure that means anything.  He could be reaching for the knee or it could be an incidental movement.

Edited by madl

3 hours ago, madl said:

Just watched the spot on YouTube and Truth barely clears the edge of the ring,  Waller’s practically next to the ring and Truth still comes up short,  I’m not entirely sure he cleared the top rope cleanly.  It looks like he might have clipped the rope.  If he did clear it, it was close.   Not sure what actually happened, but it doesn’t look like Waller’s fault to me.

Truth’s landing doesn’t look that bad and he doesn’t land on his knee, but he immediately rolls over and grabs it, so it looks to me like he’s either selling or he hurt the knee before the leap.  He did a jumping split right before the spot and sorta reached down and brushed the knee as he popped up, but I’m not sure that means anything.  He could be reaching for the knee or it could be an incidental movement.

I wasn't trying to say it was Waller's fault per say, just stating what it looked like initially. I actually watched it again a few hours later and noticed he was closer than I originally thought, maybe just a bit too far to the left. Not sure when Truth got hurt. I assumed it was when he came down since his leg hit first and that was what he immediately clutched afterward. He did clip the ropes a bit, but I thought it was more an attempt to use them to swing out which I have seen others do with the somersault dive. Whatever happened I look at it less as a case of anyone's fault and more just bad luck.

• Like 1

Jeers to the Raw intro. Cheers to Nikki Cross and Bianca (and all the players in this scrum). Really tho, Cheers all around on this week's show. Excellent Lashley-Lesnar pull apart. I liked seeing H'ey'che out there all intense and calling the shots. Theory is getting better and better each and every week, and here v Rollins was the best I've seen from him yet. Rollins oughtta be a baby, yeah? I had to skim on the Bloodline promo, but dug what I saw. From somebody who hadn't really ever seen the Miz prior to this Helmsley regime - 'I'm frequently impressed.' Ali needs a manager. Machine Gun Anderson v Priest was solid and led nicely into a strong segment with the Judges and Thee Oh Sees. RHEA-Mania is running wild! I think Dom's frog splash might have given me some chills - the young rudo is really knocking it out of the park! I got a little time for JBL and Corbin. Omos and MVP look great together. I never got to see the Hurt Business - maybe they oughtta run that back too? Skimmed Riddle and Otis and it was fine for what it was. That said, I'd absolutely be down for a straight up, PPV length, one on one Battle between this pairing. Not enough Gable this week, but I understand. 'No I don't!' Miz v Mustafa was solid. Tho not entirely a success - kudos for the Gargano sitdown. Damage Control v Asuka and Bliss is 3/4 my kind of main event! No shade to Alexa Bliss tho. She worked hard and was mostly good here. But Asuka and IO is the dream! And Dakota never disappoints with her spider style! Excellent TV spot near the finish with Bayley and Belair. Very strong WWE TV broadcast. The Seeeecret Life of Ah-RABIA!

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I got a little time for JBL and Corbin.

You should actually give them a shot if only for the promos. JBL is kind of wonderful at shitting on cities and earning hatred from the audience. Corbin has also become a solid-good wrestler the past couple of years though I can't blame anyone who still doesn't want to go out of their way to watch him. 

• Like 2

I agree. As I said I have little time for JBL and Corbin. Not ‘I have little time for JBL and Corbin’. I hadn’t seen Corbin prior to the Helmsley regime so he’s a pretty fresh talent to me. His presentation gives cause for concern, but his work has been solid thus far. And JBLs been a treat.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gorman said:

So they ran an angle where he didn't show up and then fired him.

Yeah punishment stuff like that is still on the menu.

It's just the humiliation and dancing gimmicks and longterm sociopathic treatment they enforced on wrestlers are gone with Vince mostly out of the picture.

It's SMACKDOWN TAPED!  Liv Morgan and Sonya Deville wrestle AGAIN!  Ew GROSS a weapons match.  If it isn't exploding barbed wire, why bother?  Oh COOL!  A TABLE!  LIV DUDLEY!  Sonya saves Morgan's life or maybe just her ability to process math as Morgan hit both heels on the ropes on a Tope.  Sonya Deville IS Black Taurus.  Crazy Liv Morgan is the funnest Liv Morgan- as she makes the "What the heck?" face and dives through a table with Deville.  Nice knee to the face by Sonya.  Deville lays in the forearms on the top and Powerbombs Morgan into a wad of steel chairs!  FOR TWO!  Oh Sonya Deville, will you ever win another match?  She's so good but she always puts everybody else over.  Sad, really.  LA Knight and Ricochet wrestle!  Knight is kind of a poor man's Ethan Page who is a poor man's Ted DiBiase.  Nice Springboard Moonsault To Nowhere by Knight.  Knight takes a Rana really well.  Knight grabs the tights and gets the pin!  I dig the CHEATING.  That was perfectly fine.  It's Shayna Baszler!  Where has she been?  It's Natalya!  Where has she been?  Man, this crowd looks fried.  Shayna twisted and bashes Natalya's elbow.  Natalya gets in some stuff and her kicks look good.  Shayna Baszler applies a Rear Naked Choke and that's that.  Postmatch, Baszler knees Natalya in the face!  HARDWAY!  HHH takes a step back!  Rey Mysterio takes on GUNTHER!  I assume GUNTHER will wrestle here and not beat the living dogshit out of the wee Mysterio.  OH! He is beating the dogshit out of him early.  Man, GUNTHER is definitely beating on Rey enough to get the crowd behind his STRUGGLE to escape the Euro-Assbeating being supplied.  Mysterio hits a Crucifix to start his comeback, applying a Sleeper for second.  Then he re-applies it!  GUNTHER goes up the ropes and jumps back to break the hold and we go to a commercial!  Rey has a second comeback and GUNTHER doesn't really pull off looking like he is in trouble, prolly because we saw him and Sheamus beat the fuck out of each other twice in the last month.  Rey does the toprope counter to the DIE HARD KANSAI that he first did against Eddy Guerrero and Psicosis.  Fun nearfalls!  SUWA Dropkick by GUNTHER into a Powerbomb for TWO!  Gunther finally CRUSHES Rey with a Lariat.  That was good!  That was a perfectly fine episode of SMACKDOWN. 

• Like 3

Liv/Sonya was good fun. Loved the moments with the table tease and eventual bump. Kind of with DEAN on it being sad Sonya never wins. She has gotten good the past year or so.

Ricochet/Knight was solid.

Shayna/Nattie was pretty decent while it lasted. Dug the post match with Shyna busting Nattie's nose. I'm digging the idea of Ronda pushing Shayna to be her more vicious self again.

GUNTHER/Rey was fucking great. Just a perfect david vs. goliath match with GUNTHER dominating so much while Rey's hope spots build up nicely and hit big with the audience. Its a pity we don't get picture in picture on Fox. This deserved it so damn much with how well these two gelled. Loved the finish with the lariat. I only wish GUNTHER did it one more time just to be a dick.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

A taped Smackdown ya say. Man, WWE’s sound department has so poorly applied crowd sweetening effects for over three decades now! So bad, and not exactly the hardest fix. Can I have a temp job?

Liv Morgan and Deville was a bit of skim, but I liked what I saw. Tenille Dashwood! Emma they call her. During my regular Impact viewing run, earlier this year, I always saw great potential in this Australian Superstar. She has great presentation - and I suspect could probably help others achieve a less tacky look too. Things were going fine here for Emma until it became an Impact segment. Lots of packages and shit to FFWD by (no complaints). LA Knight and Riccochet was a just fine(!) WWE TV match. Should I refer to LA Knight as a guilty pleasure? I’d kinda love for Ricochet to make the jump to AEDub. Maybe a trade for Andrade and Buddy? Bizarre (don't ya say) Bray Wyatt segment. Well, I didn’t FFWD. I did FFWD the New Day and Usos. I’ll certainly watch the match tho. And I did like the ‘all hell breaks loose’ portion here. I fucking love corny Rey Mysterio Jr promos - pure WWE style at it's best! I  liked Natalya-Bazler for the closing moments and post match. That’s how you do blood! Ooooh man, I love the pairing of Bazler and Rousey. Is it wrong that I not only don’t hate Rhonda Rousey but think she kinda rules? As an addendum: I’d never seen her fight nor wrestle before this HHHWWEEra. Further, I don’t disqualify her Art for her past unsurprising (a bit expected even) and truly awful political or otherwise life takes. She should lose a bit of money like Jones for her stupidity. But I also know some good hearted ppl with really bad ideas from time to time (don’t we all?). I like the Legados and Nakamura having a little feud. I haven’t quite gauged the abilities of the Legados yet. Didn’t really dig the Trios from last week, but suspect they have something to offer. In the words of the late great Gorilla Monsoon this was truly ‘A Main Event match in any arena anywhere in the world’ or something like that. I am so thankful for this logical and consistently entertaining HHHeymanWWEra. It offers me true superstars like arguably my favorite wrestler WALTER and the insanely great veteran Rey Mysterio Jr. This match was all I ever want all rolled into one match. I wasn’t chanting to my TV for these combatants to ‘Fight Forever’ but I might as well have been. This was kinda sorta a surprisingly terrific taped Smackdown. Saturday afternoons (my preferred Smackdown airing time) were made for wrestling. At least here in Canada where we don't give a fuck about College/University sports. Oh, I shouldn't speak for everyone.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1