DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2022 - WEEK TEN

RIPPA

Michigan State has suspended 4 players for their role in this past Saturday's postgame incident

Coach Mel Tucker announced linebacker Tank Brown, cornerback Khary Crump, safety Angelo Grose and defensive end Zion Young have been suspended effective immediately after reviewing what Tucker called disturbing electronic evidence of the incident.

Mel Tucker and the school's administration both implied that more punishment could be forthcoming after the investigation was complete

Georgia vs Tennessee will officially be a #1 vs #2 matchup as the Vols moved up to be tied with OSU in the AP poll

It will be the 25th regular season #1 vs #2 matchup but the first time either Georgia or Tennessee has played in one

• Like 1

Also Oregon State is ranked for the first time since 2013 - technically preseason so its the first time in the regular season since 2012 

Longest Power 5 conference drought is Rutgers (2012) with Vandy next (2013)

The amusing thing about the Harsin Era is that it fell apart for the exact reasons most reasonable people predicted it would: Harsin was an outsider who didn’t understand what it took to win in the SEC, in general (RECRUITING, DUMMY), and Auburn, in particular (buying into being a part of The Auburn Family).

Harsin and Allen Greene were definitely done dirty by booster factions this year, but make no mistake: This was always a doomed hire. Harsin really thought he could just BALL COACH Auburn like he did at Boise, and that’s just not how it works.

• Like 1

Florida veteran linebacker Brenton Cox Jr. has been dismissed from the team, coach Billy Napier announced Monday.

Napier said it was time to "move on" from Cox and said it was a "cumulative effect" that led to Cox's dismissal, not one incident.

Cox appeared to punch Georgia running back Kenny McIntosh after McIntosh scored a touchdown in the fourth quarter of Saturday's loss to the Bulldogs.

A redshirt junior, Cox leads the team with eight tackles for loss. In eight games, he has 35 tackles, 2 sacks and 9 quarterback hurries.

Cox began his career at Georgia before transferring to Florida under former coach Dan Mullen for the 2019 season.

Mullen was fired last November and replaced by Billy Napier, who is off to a 4-4 start this season.

Florida lost to No. 1 Georgia, 42-20, this past Saturday in Jacksonville. Cox had two tackles in the game.

The Gators play at Texas A&M on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

So, is Boise close enough to Colorado to put Harsin on the radar for the Buffaloes job? Aside from that, I guess his options involve collecting money from Auburn and being an assistant somewhere.

Pete Thamel tweeted this ad from Harsin’s agent, so I would say Harsin is definitely looking to head back out west to coach ASAP:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

So, is Boise close enough to Colorado to put Harsin on the radar for the Buffaloes job? Aside from that, I guess his options involve collecting money from Auburn and being an assistant somewhere.

Not after Dan Hawkins bombed in Boulder. 

Fun facts from ESPN today

In the 8 years of the CFP rankings, the teams from the first week have gone

#1 7 out of 8 have made the final field.

#2 7 out of 8 have made the final field.

#3 1 out of 8 have made the final field.

#4 4 out of 8 have made the final field.

Presumably the top three will be GA, TN, and Ohio in some order (and obviously the winner of GA/TN will almost certainly be number next week) but 4 feels a bit like a toss up. Bama has probably the best overall resume, but they do have a loss. Michigan's probably looked the best week in and week out, but their schedule has been a joke. Clemson is somewhere in-between. I don't think TCU will get that high this week.

Of the early big names associated with the Auburn job (Freeze, Rhule, Deion, Kiffin), I think Kiffin seems the most likely.

Freeze isn’t getting it for the usual reasons I won’t bother repeating.

Deion will get a look, but would be a horrible culture fit. To be frank, Auburn is White AF.

Rhule would be Harsin 2.0 in terms of being an outsider with no SEC experience, though at least Texas is closer than Idaho.

There are definite personal and professional concerns about Kiffin, but he just keeps winning in spite of them. Ole Miss was expected to be down this year, but he worked the portal and has a championship contender on the field. And working the portal is going to be ESSENTIAL for the next Auburn coach, because that roster is going to be decimated once a lot of the Harsin guys abandon ship (and he didn’t recruit especially well to begin with).

If Ole Miss beats Bama in two weeks, I would wager with about 98% certainty that Kiffin will be the guy there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EVA said:

To be frank, Auburn is White AF.

Auburn, AL is located close to places like Montgomery, Tuskegee, and Columbus GA. But, looking around Google, 5% of enrolled students at Auburn are Black (77% White). It's 75-11 at Alabama, 58-9 at Florida State, and 39-5 at Georgia Tech (another spot that people are trying to fantasy book Deion to)

Not sure if there's any good survey data for how Alabama splits between Tide and Auburn fans and there's probably some ways where the general concept of "we're hiring a head coach to get more fans" could rub fans the wrong way at a little brother institution.

Jackson State football coach Deion Sanders said he will not allow his players to leave their hotel this weekend when they face Texas Southern in Houston, where rapper Takeoff, 28, was shot and killed at a bowling alley early Tuesday morning.

Sanders said family members and friends who want to see players before Saturday's game will have to visit the team's hotel.

"I'm just sick and tired of the consistency of people that are influential to you are leaving us consistently: That's our rappers," Sanders said, per video of his message. "Takeoff was murdered in a dice game in Houston, where we're going. So that eliminates all of y'all leaving that hotel. Because it ain't happening until I give you further notice."

Along with Quavo and Offset, Takeoff, whose real name was Kirshnik Khari Ball, was one-third of Migos, who've had multiple chart-topping hits over the past decade, including "Bad and Boujee" and "Fight Night."

Takeoff was a sports fan who joined his group to perform with Pharrell Williams at halftime of the NBA All-Star Game in 2018. Last week, Quavo and Takeoff released their first album as a duo separate from Offset, "Only Built for Infinity Links."

Migos had bonds with a variety of pro athletes, especially Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young, who tweeted Tuesday that he was shocked by the news of Takeoff's killing.

Per reports, Quavo and Takeoff were at a bowling alley in Houston around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday when shots were fired and Takeoff was struck and killed. Houston police officials told reporters they are investigating the killing.

On Tuesday, Sanders told his players to be mindful of their surroundings and relationships as they prepare for Saturday's road game.

Jackson State hosted ESPN's "College GameDay" on Saturday before a 35-0 win over Southern that brought its record to 8-0.

"I don't want you all playing that foolish game because you all are valuable to your families, friends, loved ones, and you're valuable to us," he said. "Let's think about that. Let's pray for the families."

• Like 1

The only issue I see is Clemson as a #4.  feels like a legacy vote there.  I would put Michigan over them.

I hear that Georgia is bitching about the #3 but frankly I would rather play a Ohio State.  Of course they win Saturday and they not only are #1 but would need a complete collapse to lose the playoff spot at end of year

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 8:29 AM, EVA said:

Of the early big names associated with the Auburn job (Freeze, Rhule, Deion, Kiffin), I think Kiffin seems the most likely.

My understanding of what makes Kiffin a possibility is real world stuff.

• Apparently Mississippi cannot do contracts for over 4 years (Kiffin wants a longer term deal--preferably ten years, but I doubt Auburn goes that long).
  • Both Mississippi schools NIL situations are a mess. Auburn finally unified under the On to Victory cooperative, which could make Auburn a force with NIL given the right coach.
  • More fertile recruiting ground in the Plains than in Oxford (kind of why it's always been a close but no cigar school even for SEC division championships).
  • Auburn is about to at least for the immediate future have the nicest football facility in the SEC.