DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE!- 11/2/2022!

DEAN

Ok, I got my Cage vs Joe. So, Hobbs vs Wardlow at Full Gear?

With the Under Armour top on, Jarrett looked to be in decent shape still. Other than that, we shall see. I didn't have a problem with Jeff, since I didn't get to see his reigns of terror in TNA that much.

OC is the most active champion in AEW, despite Mox and Jericho being very much in that game as well. That's a shocker, but with his whatever-attitude, I guess he might as well put it on the line constantly! Yay for Jungle Boy pushing Luchasaurus' shit back in! Big rematch at Full Gear?

The Acclaimed's presents to Billy were nice enough in a "Dad, I made you a portrait out of macaroni"-kinda way, but let's face it, Donkey Club's present really sucked! "We got you W. Morrissey kicking you in the face!" You really shouldn't have. I really mean it.

Swerve with no reprocussions from last week? Get the fuck outta here! Keith Lee needs to keep better company.

Saraya is going to wait until next week to tell if she's cleared to wrestle? What if it's going to be "Well, actually I'm not"?

Hayter vs Storm. Good. Was it Tony who said that Storm is in a tough spot for facing Hayter with all this momentum on Hayters' side? She may indeed walk out with the title.

No MJF this week.

So The House of Black is dead, or not dead but dreaming?

Who's putting out these Delete Elite vingettes? I mean TK, probably, but I guess I'm asking "Why?"

PAC constantly wanting it to be Hammer Time and Fenix going "I can't touch this" is gonna to lead them losing the trios belts, yet. Maybe back to The Elite?

Cabana coming out to face Jericho was like *Captain America saying I get that reference*. The match was good for what it was. Will it be Ocho vs Claudio at Full Gear, or Final Battle? The Jericho run has so much more mileage left, I'd hate to see Claudio just regaining the title this soon.

Shibata was something you don't see every day. Quite the Rampage coming up.

• Like 6

I like the idea of Jarrett popping up every once in awhile, but man does Darby deserve better than he's been getting.

All the focus in the little feud with Lethal was on Lethal. Tensions with Sonjay and Satnam, attacking Darby in the back, who's he going to bring out, etc. And now he's back to being Sting's little buddy.  Unless something big is planned coming out of a presumptive Sting-Jarrett or Sting/Darby-Jarrett/Lethal tag match, they have been squandering one of their most important pieces. After Moxley-MJF, no one has been set up as a credible world title challenger, that should be Darby's spot. He should be winning the tournament, but I'm guessing he's going to be tied up in the Sting business for the PPV. Cole and Page are hurt. Black is doing whatever Black is doing. Danielson is still tied up in JAS stuff. Eddie is in a weird limbo, is he still feuding with Guevara or was that blown off? Miro is chilling at home. How are they not throwing everything behind Darby? I'm worried that if and when they do decide to elevate him, because he's such a natural challenger for MJF, that he's going to be ice cold.

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of Rick Ross (not anti-Rick Ross either...he's just not really within my popular culture purview) but he was AMAZING  in that segment, especially when he just pointed at Lee and shouted "ACCUSATIONS!" I absolutely would love him to be a recurring AEW character.

Also, The Acclaimed tease being adopted by Daddy Ass and the Ass Boys come out and DON'T sign the papers themsleves?! I mean the obvious route was them to beat up the Acclaimed and their Dad, then having one of Austin or Colton to sign the adoption papers, and then claim the Acclaimed as their children and shouting "WHO'S YOUR DADDY NOW?" to the Acclaimed. They could then sarcastically call Billy "Grampa Ass". I mean, it makes more sense than Mark Sterling somehow buying the "Scissoring" catch-phrase storyline from a month of so back. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, elizium said:

After Moxley-MJF, no one has been set up as a credible world title challenger, that should be Darby's spot.

Agree with the rest of your post entirely re: Darby, but I am going to challenge this particular point for one reason: I have a gut feeling that when Hangman returns from the concussion, he's going to be the most organically over babyface in the world. Whether MJF or Mox leaves with the title, I think you pretty much have to revisit things w Hanger given the legit KO finish to the Mox match. I said this in the thread for that episode or tweeted it, I don't remember which, but the way that one ended probably did way more to keep both men (particularly Hangman) looking strong than anything they could have intentionally booked or had planned.

Edit: On Darby, though - it's been a while, so I could be entirely wrong, but I don't recall him having many TNT title shots after dropping it last year - maybe a good path for him is to get programmed with the winner of Hobbs/Wardlow in a good ol' David/Goliath affair? Though I don't want to see either of those guys lose right now necessarily, either. It's a good problem to have, I guess.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

Reflecting on last night - I wonder with the Ball game planned that night (Game 5 was a given from last Friday) if this show was booked as a transitional show to move some story lines along. It felt like such a B show but hey we have had 3 back-to-back Dynamites with great shows. 

• Like 3

Condolences to the haters - I watch Dynamite with Dean-mind! Also known as Gordlow-glow! I expect and accept imperfection. Tho, I hated the last two weeks of Rampage – that said, here’s my big announcement: I will continue to watch the B show!

I loved everything about Darby-Lethal. These guys are a fun pairing. The tope crashing off Satnam was easily one of my favorite spots of ‘22. Darby Allin continues to have a banner year seemingly in the shadows by some of this cold talk. And there is nobody more underrated than Jay Lethal. I didn’t watch much of any TNA so a Jeff Jarrett debut doesn’t sting me. In fact, I’m fully game and excited for the ‘Last Outlaw’. Perhaps my excitement is in part the positioning with Lethal’s wonderful trio. Along with the idea of this being about a ‘legend’ putting over a very deserving Darb. Then we move onto an always fun Mox promo. I love that he cuts it directly into the camera - my only qualm here is that they don’t do more of these. Digging the silly Elite return tease vids. Mox-Lee was terrific. Building young’uns thru losses is one of TK’s better ideas. I love Ethan Page, but he needs to step up his game. He’s not showing the level of presence needed… yet. That said, I’m patient for him to find it, and I hope and kinda suspect ‘the office’ is too. Holy moly, the addition of Renee has thus far been fantastic. I can’t say the same of Saraya. Hoping to have my mind changed on that. The Birthday Bash had a tired and awkward Mack-Mann feel to it. I was watching Bowens and Caster shill their shit wondering how long before the crowd turns them heel again. No fault on this segment to Billy – he’s killing it out there! Man, FTR saves are the best saves in wrestling right now. Cabana v Jericho was a lot of fun. Loved the ‘Welcome Back’ chants. Cabana is incredibly underrated. And underutilized. I also la-la-loved the bullying of Riccaboni. I also love this Hammer time Pac shit! I was into the Fenix-OC-Lucha three way. I wish AEDub would've adopted the much better ECW 3 Way Dance elimination rules. Everybody knows Triple Threats are safe booking bullshit. Loved Jungle Jack’s fire out there. Let’s be patient and let Dylan McKay’s son go thru some growing pains, yeah? Shibata! A wonder what percentage of the crowd actually knows him (I for one have never seen a Shibata match). Then another odd surprise as Rick Ross kills it on the stick. Made the great Shane Strickland look money like he is. I'm so excited for the moment Keith Lee goes full heel! I missed most of Jade-Marina, but caught the awful idea of Vicki and Nyla commentating over the live mics? Seems like somebody might have snuck a peak at the Brandi Rhodes creative folder there? I also caught the exciting closing moments - Jade’s big pump kick is becoming a big ovation spot. And her finisher execution is terrific! I’m game to hear Malakai Black promo, but they oughtta help him out by putting a moratorium on these consistently lame spooky-scary taped videos. Did Budro lose his spot? I’m gonna give Cage-Joe a second spin because first time around it looked like a fucking awesome hoss fight! Puh-puh-puh-puh-Powerhouse! Wild, wacky, weird, fun show!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Agree with the rest of your post entirely re: Darby, but I am going to challenge this particular point for one reason: I have a gut feeling that when Hangman returns from the concussion, he's going to be the most organically over babyface in the world. Whether MJF or Mox leaves with the title, I think you pretty much have to revisit things w Hanger given the legit KO finish to the Mox match. I said this in the thread for that episode or tweeted it, I don't remember which, but the way that one ended probably did way more to keep both men (particularly Hangman) looking strong than anything they could have intentionally booked or had planned.

Edit: On Darby, though - it's been a while, so I could be entirely wrong, but I don't recall him having many TNT title shots after dropping it last year - maybe a good path for him is to get programmed with the winner of Hobbs/Wardlow in a good ol' David/Goliath affair? Though I don't want to see either of those guys lose right now necessarily, either. It's a good problem to have, I guess.

I agree about Hanger, since I'm a big backer and don't think he should have lost the belt in the first place. With a concussion though, I didn't want to include him, since he could be back next week or in six months, you just don't know.

• Like 3

Was I the only one read the Jarrett segment as them going after the 4 pillars? He had some line about 4 bodybags, but I couldn't immediately place two other people with Darby and Sting. Then my mind started wandering to what if Jarrett bought out the Firm, which would explain the turn on MJF. If MJF bleeds with Mox and otherwise fights clean, Regal might invite him to the BCC which would lend itself to a big Blood and Guts feud with some combo of the Firm and Jarrett's guys. Maybe I read too much into that, but it seemed a lot more interesting than just Jarrett vs. Sting.

Also seems like Keith Lee is setting up a massive heel turn to get the belts back. Asking "who was behind the camera" when only one person really makes sense. I could definitely see Lee stopping Swerve from using a weapon in their match, only to take it and use it himself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I didn’t watch much of any TNA so a Jeff Jarrett debut doesn’t sting me. In fact, I’m fully game and excited for the ‘Last Outlaw’.

Jarrett's "Last Outlaw" gear was designed and paid for by GCW, where Jarrett wore it once for a match where he refused to lose to their top babyface on the day of the show, and then skipped town after originally promising to come back and put the babyface over

This happened in 2022

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Jarrett's "Last Outlaw" gear was designed and paid for by GCW, where Jarrett wore it once for a match where he refused to lose to their top babyface on the day of the show, and then skipped town after originally promising to come back and put the babyface over

This happened in 2022

Double J gonna Double J.

8 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

This happened in 2022

We did get some cool vignettes out of it though

9 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

This happened in 2022

A superhighway search renders Meltzer providing a less insidious and, perhaps, more accurate take on the Effy-Jarrett situation...

The original plan would have been for the second match to happen at the GCW show during Wrestlemania weekend, but GCW told Jarrett they were pushing it back. It was then set for the show in Las Vegas, but GCW postponed it again. Now Jarrett is with WWE so no more matches can happen. The plan was for Effy to win the second match, and then win a death match later on. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

RE: Double J

He was mostly MEH as a performer for me...but I've loved his podcast and think/hope his years of experience will help AEW grow. 

Other quick thoughts about last night...

Popped HUGE for Shibata!

COLT made me go "OH SNAP...that's a dig at Punk" lol

In all my years watching pro wres I don't think I've ever seen someone cramp up like Jake Hager did.

I want to see more Rick Ross in AEW!

Can't wait to see the House of Black back.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

This happened in 2022

Not to derail the topic, but that was the first and only GCW event I've ever watched in it's entirety and it was such a whiff, IMO. Even as a first time viewer, I knew putting guys like Zack Ryder and Jarrett over the hometown guys was probably not the best use of that opportunity. I popped huge for X-Pac though.

Edit: That paintjob they did on the Hammerstein looked like shit, too 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

To temper my vinegar with some honey, I love that it looks like they're getting behind Ethan Page a bit. If they're going to let MJF play around with some face reactions, a short feud with Page leading to a match on Dynamite would make a decent little feud. I'm high on Page, I think his ceiling is upper midcarder but if they're not going to give it to Darby, Page winning the tournament is a decent way to get him some juice.

Nyla Rose and her coat rule.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

This.

FTR needs the belts - but not sure if you can move off the Acclaimed so fast. The merch numbers may be huge.  Last time a new wrestling "thing" started getting mainstream cross over? and its pure AEW too. And I love FTR. Most of all, you can tell that Billy Gunn is having stupid fun

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Against the World Series and the NBA, that is actually kind of an outstanding #

Yeah, I was figuring an NXT number going head to head with the World Series.

• Like 1