DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE!- 11/2/2022!

DEAN

I caught everything but the main this morning, having seen at least part of the first hour last night. I was higher on the show on the second watch than I was on the first. Things felt a little dire last night (99 WCW, etc.) but in the light of the sun (there's no sun until next week when the clocks change), it did feel like another good show in-ring.

• Lethal and Darby pair up well. I liked the early aggression from Darby and Lethal had a bunch of tricked out offense that he doesn't usually use to utilize. The angle at the end was a little weird all things considered. There was probably little harm in keeping Cole Karter with the Factory and re-debuting Lee Johnson here? I don't know. Jarrett moment was definitely striking and it was great to hear the theme, but the promo only hit at like 60%. He only had one chance for that one and he really needed to nail it. I'm so much more excited at the idea of Lethal/Singh vs Darby/Sting than putting Jarrett in that mix, but if he actually has a clear purpose, the stable could sort of work. I'm not sure why we need both him and Dutt. Plus some of the stuff of Lethal having doubts about needing their help doesn't feel paid off. If he decided he was wrong and had to bring in Jarrett, fine, be clearer about that.
  • It was a little heartbreaking when the fans started going up big, really big, amazingly big, for Moxley's comeback against Moriarty, just perfectly timed after the stomps, and it turned out to be because some football guy had shown up in the crowd. I feel kind of terrible for Moriarty just thinking about it. He did everything right in that one and has come a long way from even last year. Page was great on commentary. I've heard him in that role a number of times in AEW and he was the most focused here but then he had the most to be focused on. Getting frustrated when Moriarty left the shoulder was good. I liked Mox winning with a different submission. Mox is so Hansen-esque in how he steamrolls guys that anytime someone takes a lot from him in a match it feels meaningful.
  • The Acclaimed segment was good but I don't love the cross feuding with the tag teams so close to the PPV. Especially given what Swerve just did. I like that they used this to release merch but it should have dropped a couple of weeks ago. Great to see how over all of this was. Some uncomfortableness on the mic at times but no one cared. 
  • Jericho vs Colt was ok. I'm not convinced that botch was a botch since they went right to commercial even if it was ugly. Colt, at least in 2021-2022, isn't as good as capturing the moment as you'd hope. He does the Dusty elbow, but he's not Dusty. Dusty would find a way to channel the crowd into him and then himself back into the crowd. I've seen Colt at various points in his career better at tapping into that, though maybe with smaller crowds. He had a lot of moments in this match but I'm not sure he was able to frame them or time them exactly right. At least he got to show more here than vs Danielson, which, as much as I kind of hate to say it, has me thinking more about Jericho's adaptability vs Danielson's. That's something I think Jericho might be better at, at highlighting his opponent's strengths and what makes them special. It's the sort of thing he probably thinks about more whereas Danielson is more focused on just having the best match every time out.
  • Backstage segment with Rick Ross was very good. "ACCSUSATIONS!" popped me.  
  • Three-way was actually pretty good as those go. I think Cassidy might just be good at laying them out? Or maybe having Luchasaurus there as a monster to contrast worked? 
  • Women's segment was kind of a disaster conceptually even if Nyla played her part well.
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Brodus Clay was The FunkaSAURUS, at least, Ligerbusa flew over the top of my head like whooosh, but maybe others are clued in?

Ligerbusa was (is?) a poster here. The story, as I remember it, went:

- Ligerbusa made a very nice Jurassic Park style Funkasaurus logo, with silhouettes of Brodus and the Funkadactyls

- Ligerbusa sent that logo to Brodus somehow, maybe just by tweeting it and tagging Brodus

- Brodus unexpectedly showed up with this logo on his gear. Ligerbusa was delighted

- Brodus got in trouble for trademark issues. I think the deal was just that he didn't clear the logo with the appropriate people in WWE before putting it on his gear.

I tried Googling to confirm any of this and can't, other than that Brodus wore this gear at Royal Rumble 2012, but that's how I remember it going. Apologies to Ligerbusa (and/or Brodus, I guess) if he's reading this and I got something wrong.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Ligerbusa was (is?) a poster here. The story, as I remember it, went:

- Ligerbusa made a very nice Jurassic Park style Funkasaurus logo, with silhouettes of Brodus and the Funkadactyls

- Ligerbusa sent that logo to Brodus somehow, maybe just by tweeting it and tagging Brodus

- Brodus unexpectedly showed up with this logo on his gear. Ligerbusa was delighted

- Brodus got in trouble for trademark issues. I think the deal was just that he didn't clear the logo with the appropriate people in WWE before putting it on his gear.

I tried Googling to confirm any of this and can't, other than that Brodus wore this gear at Royal Rumble 2012, but that's how I remember it going. Apologies to Ligerbusa (and/or Brodus, I guess) if he's reading this and I got something wrong.

That rings a bell with me. @Ligerbusa is a mate of mine and pops up every now and then mainly in the DC Movies threads.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:
  • It was a little heartbreaking when the fans started going up big, really big, amazingly big, for Moxley's comeback against Moriarty, just perfectly timed after the stomps, and it turned out to be because some football guy had shown up in the crowd. I feel kind of terrible for Moriarty just thinking about it.

I like Lamar Jackson a lot. Never heard anything bad about him while he was here in Louisville, and I'm really happy to see him have success as an NFL QB when no one thought he would. That said, Dammit Lamar, show up on time! I really doubt he thought his entrance would be that distracting, but it sucked for Mox and moreso Moriarty. I don't think they ever really got the crowd back in that match.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:
  • Jericho vs Colt was ok. I'm not convinced that botch was a botch since they went right to commercial even if it was ugly. Colt, at least in 2021-2022, isn't as good as capturing the moment as you'd hope. He does the Dusty elbow, but he's not Dusty. Dusty would find a way to channel the crowd into him and then himself back into the crowd. I've seen Colt at various points in his career better at tapping into that, though maybe with smaller crowds. He had a lot of moments in this match but I'm not sure he was able to frame them or time them exactly right.

First off, my thoughts on Colt have ZERO to do with CM Punk, but I've always found him (Cabana) overrated. Technically, he can be very smooth in the ring. He has charisma, but not nearly as much as people give him credit for. Most of all for me, he's always been presented as his character being "funny guy", but I've never found him even remotely funny. I haven't seen his stand up, it may be great, but I've never seen him translate that to his wrestling character. He does "silly" moves like the flying apple, and what else? Don't get me wrong, he's done some great stuff like his feud with Homicide and those title matches with Danielson in ROH. I just hear a lot about how he's not given a chance. But then he gets one last night, and he didn't look very good.

• Like 4

The only issue i take with the above is that Mox and Moriarty never really had the crowd to begin with. Lee was put in a really tough spot but did a fine job. It's not right to throw in a guy with super limited tv exposure with one of your most over acts and expect to get much in the way of heat or sympathy. It's a thing they do often enough and the result is almost always the same.

Agreed on Cabana. He's just not really that good. But at least the boys in the back are happy. ?

Edit: Wheeler's matches could be an exception but didn't they come after he had some exposure on TV previously?

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3

The weird thing about the Colt's Dusty elbow is that it was done in a completely mocking way because both sides hated each other.  Maybe Colt changed his opinion when Dusty passed away but it wasn't a term of endearment.  

Edited by hammerva

9 hours ago, Ziggy said:

That was actually funny though lol. I think people confuse him with Dixie Carter, he gets a bad rap. He can be ATM Eric and TK can be Ted Turner 

This is my spicy take, I enjoyed WCW Jarrett, as a worker, he was perfectly good, occasionally great in his prime, and given his style I suspect he can still go enough.

As long as he isn't booking himself I'm fine with him being on the show.

As for Colt, I've seen him a couple times live.  Definitely a guy who I think translates better to indie crowds, but usually a good worker and seems like a good guy.  I liked his clueless schmuck in Brodie's Dark Order gimmick.

Edited by Jenalysis
  • Like 6

The challenge with the tag division at this moment is with the Acclaimed absolutely red-hot, as hot as anything in US pro wrestling in 2022, you know the Acclaimed are keeping the belts in PPV. The only move at the moment is Bill Gunn turning on them. And it's way too early for that. Literally the best part of the show last night was the Acclaimed in ring promo. It was a bit long but it was really effective. 

• Like 2

I think you should have Acclaimed go over FTR in a classic to cement them as top guys at a major Dynamite.  Give them a 20-30 min main event and have handshakes at the end. 

I don't think the Acclaimed are made yet- super hot at the moment, but not made yet.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

The only issue i take with the above is that Mox and Moriarty never really had the crowd to begin with. Lee was put in a really tough spot but did a fine job. It's not right to throw in a guy with super limited tv exposure with one of your most over acts and expect to get much in the way of heat or sympathy. It's a thing they do often enough and the result is almost always the same.

Agreed on Cabana. He's just not really that good. But at least the boys in the back are happy. ?

Edit: Wheeler's matches could be an exception but didn't they come after he had some exposure on TV previously?

I was working and listening to WOR at the same time this morning so I may have misheard it, but they trotted out Lamar Jackson during the Mox/Moriarty match and that killed the crowd because all of the attention went right onto Lamar Jackson. 

I thought this was one of the weirdest and wildest Dynamites in awhile. I really don't know how to feel about all of the shit that happened, but I was mostly pleased just by how off the wall it was. I think Jeff Jarrett sucks, but I'll admit to cracking a smile when he looked straight into the camera and said "choke on that, SLAP NUTS." It immediately brought me back to being 20 and my friends and I making fun of Jeff Jarrett in WCW.

Darby feels pretty cold right now, but he's also someone that doesn't take a lot of effort to heat back up. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

The challenge with the tag division at this moment is with the Acclaimed absolutely red-hot, as hot as anything in US pro wrestling in 2022, you know the Acclaimed are keeping the belts in PPV. The only move at the moment is Bill Gunn turning on them. And it's way too early for that. Literally the best part of the show last night was the Acclaimed in ring promo. It was a bit long but it was really effective. 

They already had Billy turn on them once! I don't see it happening again.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

I think you should have Acclaimed go over FTR in a classic to cement them as top guys at a major Dynamite.  Give them a 20-30 min main event and have handshakes at the end. 

I don't think the Acclaimed are made yet- super hot at the moment, but not made yet.

I'd personally go with FTR just barely squeaking out a win in a classic match, showing Acclaimed a ton of respect (putting them way over in the loss),  then Acclaimed winning the belts back later when FTR are done with the belt collector thing.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Log said:

I'd personally go with FTR just barely squeaking out a win in a classic match, showing Acclaimed a ton of respect (putting them way over in the loss),  then Acclaimed winning the belts back later when FTR are done with the belt collector thing.

This.

14 hours ago, hobo joe said:

I mean, obviously I want to see Danielson vs. Shibata, but I know that's a bad idea because, while they're both perfectly capable of putting on a five star match without hitting each other in the head, I know they'll be throwing shoot headbutts fifteen minutes in.

Brace yourself.

• Like 2

MY WORLD. The prophecy has been fulfilled, Jeff Jarret in AEW.  The soul of TNA is back in AEW!   

Jericho vs Colt was the only match I really paid attention to. Laughed when Jericho wore the glasses.

Shibata? Interesting.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

It was a little heartbreaking when the fans started going up big, really big, amazingly big, for Moxley's comeback against Moriarty, just perfectly timed after the stomps, and it turned out to be because some football guy had shown up in the crowd. I feel kind of terrible for Moriarty just thinking about it.

3 hours ago, Log said:

I like Lamar Jackson a lot. Never heard anything bad about him while he was here in Louisville, and I'm really happy to see him have success as an NFL QB when no one thought he would. That said, Dammit Lamar, show up on time! I really doubt he thought his entrance would be that distracting, but it sucked for Mox and moreso Moriarty. I don't think they ever really got the crowd back in that match.

I like Lamar a lot though wish he had an agent to sort out the contract talks.  But I hope this was a timing issue on staff and nothing of his doing.  When a celebrity is brought out it's always either A. for an angle mid-match or B. during commercial where fans can react however before they come back.  There was no reason why they couldn't wait to bring him out after the match.

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

The only issue i take with the above is that Mox and Moriarty never really had the crowd to begin with.

It's hard to say how the match would have gone if not for the distraction.  But it was such a foregone conclusion from the start that I guess people had a hard time getting into it.  And yeah after the commotion about Lamar ended you could hear a pin drop which was disheartening.  I hope they run this back at some point and for fuck's sake wait to bring out the celebrity either before or after the match.

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Beautiful. String side up is crazy tho.

All that said I adore this picture a ton.  I don't know how much wrestling he watched (if any) but you can't go wrong with stuff like this.

• Like 2