DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2022 - WEEK 8

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

and the fact he thinks its funny to announce that the Tuck Rule might've been the wrong call.

Yeah, i am a Raiders guy.

That IS funny. 

And it would tick me off if I was a Raiders fan. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 2:16 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Borderline, leaning no.  His career is essentially a poor man's Dan Marino.  

I think he eventually gets in because I'm sure enough people will politic for him.  But he's gonna have to wait a while. 

Matt Ryan shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame or in any sentence with Dan Marino.  Matt Ryan was a good player.  That is all.

On 10/25/2022 at 3:11 PM, Kuetsar said:

Part of the problem with dealing with the next tier guys(below Peyton, Brady Rodgers for the HOF: How many do you put in? Sure the stats are good, but the game has changed so much, and in five years those numbers might not look as good after Josh and Mahomes each tear the league apart. I'm not sure what order you put them in, Rivers, Big Ben, Ryan, Stafford, Eli. Do they all go in, some or none?

If it was all or none, I'd vote none.  I'd rank the rest Big Ben, Rivers, Eli, Stafford, Ryan.  I don't think Eli Manning is a Hall of Fame quarterback, but I think he's a much better candidate than both Stafford and Ryan who I don't understand how they are even in this discussion.  Seriously, after last season, people were talking about Stafford like he has been anything better than average for his entire career.  He had a Joe Flacco year and everybody just forgot that he was Matt Stafford.  This year rolls around and he's playing like Matt Stafford and everyone is surprised.  If Kirk Cousins fucks around and wins a Super Bowl, are you guys going to try to convince me Kirk is a Hall of Fame quarterback?  I need to prepare myself for this before it happens.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I don't think Eli Manning is a Hall of Fame quarterback, 

Of COURSE Eli should be in the hall of fame.  The first Super Bowl I remember watching was the 1972 Cowboys/Dolphins game when I was six and the win against the Patriots was the GREATEST game I have ever seen.  It was like if the 85 New England Patriots somehow nutted up and beat the 85 Bears.  That should get Eli one foot in the door.  And then he won another Super Bowl so he should go in.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DEAN said:

Of COURSE Eli should be in the hall of fame.  The first Super Bowl I remember watching was the 1972 Cowboys/Dolphins game when I was six and the win against the Patriots was the GREATEST game I have ever seen.  It was like if the 85 New England Patriots somehow nutted up and beat the 85 Bears.  That should get Eli one foot in the door.  And then he won another Super Bowl so he should go in.  

Here's the thing, I 100% agree with you with the 2007 Giants beating the 2007 Patriots being the GREATEST football game I've ever seen.  I attribute that win to the Giants defense stopping the best offense we've ever seen more than I attribute that win to Eli. The Patriots averaged over 36 points per game that season, and if the defense gave up even half of that they would have lost.  The Tyree play was fucking fantastic, and he gets credit for that, but that one play doesn't outweigh the rest of his career and get him into the Hall of Fame in my eyes.  We are not required to give the quarterback credit for everything that happens with a football team.  Eli did his fucking job and did it well, but he's not a Hall of Fame quarterback because his team won two Super Bowls that they would have won with pretty much any above average quarterback.  With that said, I understand the arguments for Eli Manning, I just disagree with them.  I have no idea why people think people like Matt Stafford or Matt Ryan should be in the Hall of Fame.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Here's the thing, I 100% agree with you with the 2007 Giants beating the 2007 Patriots being the GREATEST football game I've ever seen.  I attribute that win to the Giants defense stopping the best offense we've ever seen more than I attribute that win to Eli. The Patriots averaged over 36 points per game that season, and if the defense gave up even half of that they would have lost.  The Tyree play was fucking fantastic, and he gets credit for that, but that one play doesn't outweigh the rest of his career and get him into the Hall of Fame in my eyes.  We are not required to give the quarterback credit for everything that happens with a football team.  Eli did his fucking job and did it well, but he's not a Hall of Fame quarterback because his team won two Super Bowls that they would have won with pretty much any above average quarterback.  With that said, I understand the arguments for Eli Manning, I just disagree with them.  I have no idea why people think people like Matt Stafford or Matt Ryan should be in the Hall of Fame.

Well the bar for entry is to beat Kurt Warner who SUCKED for the Giants and was perfectly fine surrounded by great receivers and coordinators.  With that standard, Matt Stafford, Matt Ryan and, fuck, Andy Daulton should get in. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DEAN said:

Well the bar for entry is to beat Kurt Warner who SUCKED for the Giants and was perfectly fine surrounded by great receivers and coordinators.

"Perfectly fine" seems to be underselling being an integral part in some of the most effective offences in NFL history at the time.  Surrounded by great receivers and coordinators Warner was obscenely productive.  He also lead NFL Europe in passing TDs and yardage while he was there which really means he should get 2 busts in Canton.  But yes, he did also have some really down years.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2022 at 7:40 AM, DEAN said:

Well the bar for entry is to beat Kurt Warner who SUCKED for the Giants and was perfectly fine surrounded by great receivers and coordinators.  With that standard, Matt Stafford, Matt Ryan and, fuck, Andy Daulton should get in. 

The bar should never be "better than X" for getting in. If we do that, every guy better than Joe Namath - which is a TON of guys - gets in. Nobody wants that. 

• Like 1

Have no idea how the Bears are not only in this game but have the momentum against the Cowboys.  Is Justin Fields actually starting to look like a competent QB?

I have no faith in the Lions holding on against the Dolphins.   Should be happy with the lead they had originally  

Well so much for both of those.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, madl said:

Without two Super Bowl wins, Eli would be in my Hall of Very Good alongside Matt Ryan, but qb’ing the Giants to two SB wins over the Patriots makes him hard to leave out.

Eli was the quarterback of both of those teams, but neither of those games were won because of the quarterback play.  Both of those games were won by the Giants defense shutting down great offenses, and there is no reason whatsoever to give Eli extra hall of fame credit for either of those wins.  There is nothing wrong with someone's career amounting to millions of dollars and being beloved by the home fans.  That is a fucking phenomenal accomplishment, and Eli absolutely earned all of that.  He just isn't an all-time great, and shouldn't be in the hall of fame.

• Like 1