DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2022 - WEEK 8

Dolfan in NYC

A 3 & a 6 for last year's 1st round pick at the beginning of this season would have annoyed me to no end. But I have a lot of faith in Schoen & Daboll after how motivated they have this team. They have some leeway with me that McAdoo & Pat Shurmur & Joe Judge would never get. If they didn't see anything changing with Toney's attitude, then it's a good trade (for both parties).

Load up on picks next year from a (presumably) better scouting apparatus for The Giants. And for KC they get another fast body to fill in for cheap money. Win / win.

Unless the special teams people are really stubborn or Toney isn't healthy enough, I'd think that Toney would return punts in KC over Skyy Moore at first. Which could be an improvement seeing as Skyy Moore didn't return punts in college and he's fumbled two different punts so far because he's not familiar with the job. The Chiefs punt return philosophy seems to emphasize not actually fair catching the ball, so idk how Toney handled that during the year he returned a few punts at Florida.

Out of Chiefs receivers, Kelce has 47 receptions, Juju 34, MVS 22, Hardman 19. All of them with 200+ yards in 7 games. Then there's two running backs, the other tight end, and Skyy Moore has 100 yards on 6 receptions.

I think Kelce is gonna be ahead of Toney for "high school QB that we're gonna use for QB sneaks instead of Mahomes" unless he really gets into doing goalline jet sweeps

Well going by the lack of posts about last night's game it's clear this wasn't one to watch.  But I did anyway and it was fun seeing the Ravens win.

Though I will have to say this here as God forbid I mention this to friends they'll think I'm insane.  But I actually feel bad for Tom Brady.  Don't get me wrong, I hated his guts to the point in the past I didn't want to recognize how great he was.  But time goes on and you see somebody turn into basically a shell of their former self then you add in the personal stuff.  It was actually sad to watch.  He could have retired still riding high and now if this is it then he'll be leaving with a whimper.  Or they could turn it around and he gets another Super Bowl win causing me to hate him again.  Who knows.  But he should have stayed retired and it would have saved him a lot of professional and personal grief.  This might be obvious to most but when you don't bother watching him much it really drives that point home when you do.

• Like 1

He seemed extra emotive last night. Glaring at WRs if they missed a read, yelling randomly. And its interesting as they keep saying its a chemistry thing but he's had Evans and Godwin for a couple years now. The OL is a big issue but even beyond that it just seems like the team as a whole isn't on the same page. Bad coaching? Missed practices catching up? Just Brady getting old? Hard to say. It is sad in a way, but its hard to feel sorry for Brady with all his successes, at least for me anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

He seemed extra emotive last night. Glaring at WRs if they missed a read, yelling randomly. And its interesting as they keep saying its a chemistry thing but he's had Evans and Godwin for a couple years now. The OL is a big issue but even beyond that it just seems like the team as a whole isn't on the same page. Bad coaching? Missed practices catching up? Just Brady getting old? Hard to say. It is sad in a way, but its hard to feel sorry for Brady with all his successes, at least for me anyway.

Yeah, and the announcers said at one point in the red zone that them bungling it summed up their season so far.  I feel he needs a couple weeks off to sort things out and they should hope their backup is solid.

As for Tom's successes yeah I can see how it's hard to feel sorry for him.  I also just reminded myself that he himself made the choice to come back and he's paying the price for it.  So yeah maybe going full "Aw, poor Tom" isn't the way to go.  But it's still sad.

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I think it's a lot of things, bad coaching among them. But it's not bad coaching that has Brady missing wide open throws in the end zone. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well going by the lack of posts about last night's game it's clear this wasn't one to watch.  But I did anyway and it was fun seeing the Ravens win.

Though I will have to say this here as God forbid I mention this to friends they'll think I'm insane.  But I actually feel bad for Tom Brady.  Don't get me wrong, I hated his guts to the point in the past I didn't want to recognize how great he was.  But time goes on and you see somebody turn into basically a shell of their former self then you add in the personal stuff.  It was actually sad to watch.  He could have retired still riding high and now if this is it then he'll be leaving with a whimper.  Or they could turn it around and he gets another Super Bowl win causing me to hate him again.  Who knows.  But he should have stayed retired and it would have saved him a lot of professional and personal grief.  This might be obvious to most but when you don't bother watching him much it really drives that point home when you do.

Peyton Manning had the sense to get his ring with Denver and then hang 'em up.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Peyton Manning had the sense to get his ring with Denver and then hang 'em up.

And in Tom's defense, he doesn't look nearly as washed up as Peyton did that year. Manning was legit in the discussion for worst starting quarterback in the league

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

And in Tom's defense, he doesn't look nearly as washed up as Peyton did that year. Manning was legit in the discussion for worst starting quarterback in the league

He is literally the worst quarterback to ever win a Super Bowl. That year version of him, of course. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 2

I don’t think Brady’s going out like this.  Just a few days ago, he said on a podcast that he’s not thinking about retirement; it’s in his “rear view mirror”.  I think he’ll leave the Bucs next year for a better team.  I’m not convinced he’s washed up.  Probably some truth to that’s but the Bucs have a lot of issues this year starting with the o-line, so blaming it all on Brady seems unfair.  I also think the divorce has got to be affecting his mindset.  Never been through one personally, but I’ve seen a lot of friends and colleagues struggle through them.  I lay awake in bed worrying I’m going to have to fire a colleague I’ve known for 20 years because his work has sucked ever since his wife left him three years ago.  Not at all the same dude that helped me build the company.

Will never really understand the hate except in the general sense that society likes to tear down public figures.  Brady has had an amazing career snd held up  (into his 40’s) far better than anyone to play the game,  I’ve slowly become a fan of his professionally.   Even if he is over the hill, I’m not sure why I should feel bad for him.  He’s had a ball-of-fame career and will retire when he wants to.  I really dislike the idea that athletes owe it their public or legacy or whoever to retire at their peak because that’s the way sportswriters and fans want the story to go.  If Brady wants to play till he’s 50 and spend his last few seasons as Geno Smith’s backup, that’s fine by me.  He’s earned and it ‘s not my decision anyways,  

I do feel bad that his divorce is public fodder, but that’s part and parcel of being a public figure.  Still gross.  I’d I had Brady money, I’d be hiring tempted to hire people to track down the real names of message board trolls and speculate about their marriages online.  Would only be fair.

3 minutes ago, madl said:

I don’t think Brady’s going out like this.  Just a few days ago, he said on a podcast that he’s not thinking about retirement; it’s in his “rear view mirror”.  I think he’ll leave the Bucs next year for a better team.  I’m not convinced he’s washed up.  Probably some truth to that’s but the Bucs have a lot of issues this year starting with the o-line, so blaming it all on Brady seems unfair.  I also think the divorce has got to be affecting his mindset.  Never been through one personally, but I’ve seen a lot of friends and colleagues struggle through them.  I lay awake in bed worrying I’m going to have to fire a colleague I’ve known for 20 years because his work has sucked ever since his wife left him three years ago.  Not at all the same dude that helped me build the company.

Will never really understand the hate except in the general sense that society likes to tear down public figures.  Brady has had an amazing career snd held up  (into his 40’s) far better than anyone to play the game,  I’ve slowly become a fan of his professionally.   Even if he is over the hill, I’m not sure why I should feel bad for him.  He’s had a ball-of-fame career and will retire when he wants to.  I really dislike the idea that athletes owe it their public or legacy or whoever to retire at their peak because that’s the way sportswriters and fans want the story to go.  If Brady wants to play till he’s 50 and spend his last few seasons as Geno Smith’s backup, that’s fine by me.  He’s earned and it ‘s not my decision anyways,  

I do feel bad that his divorce is public fodder, but that’s part and parcel of being a public figure.  Still gross.  I’d I had Brady money, I’d be hiring tempted to hire people to track down the real names of message board trolls and speculate about their marriages online.  Would only be fair.

I hate Brady because I'm a Bills fan. Fuck Brady. Its not complicated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I hate Brady because I'm a Bills fan. Fuck Brady. Its not complicated.

That, with emphasis that he gets every call, whines on the rare occasions he doesn't, and the announcers talk about him the way nitro announcers used to talk about the nwo.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1