DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2022 - WEEK 8

Dolfan in NYC

In other fun news, Green Bay travels to Buffalo in what 2 months ago seemed to be a very "big game".   Instead, for the first time in his career, Aaron Rodgers is a double digit underdog (+10.5).

• Like 1

And the Titans are apparently getting a new stadium...

If and when it opens, it will have a capacity of 60,000 (about 8000 fewer than now) and will have a transparent roof -- which means yes, they want a Super Bowl in Nashville.   It will cost around $2.1 billion. (lol)

Nissan Stadium is currently 23 years old, btw.

The Titans stadium deal was news last week - at least around here - because they are getting $500 million from the state of Tennessee. Dan Snyder wishes he could get half of that from any of the states around here.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34816198/titans-nashville-reach-deal-domed-22b-stadium

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Titans stadium deal was news last week - at least around here - because they are getting $500 million from the state of Tennessee. Dan Snyder wishes he could get half of that from any of the states around here.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34816198/titans-nashville-reach-deal-domed-22b-stadium

500 million is going to remind a lot of owners that they suddenly need a new stadium too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Missed this live since Rhea was bodyslamming Gallows, but...

Yikes.   First time I've seen an (NFL) QB go full on Ty Cobb.  

Eh. You could maybe make a case for the second one. 

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Missed this live since Rhea was bodyslamming Gallows, but...

Yikes.   First time I've seen an (NFL) QB go full on Ty Cobb.  

I remember Brady doing that once, I always like to think that this is more something done as a last second means of panic/defense than an intentional attempt to injury someone (regardless of the QB doing it). Doesn't mean it shouldn't be penalized though.

To wrap something up from last week - the NFL has cleared the officials seen in the video getting Mike Evans to write on a piece of paper (the internet was convinced it was an autograph)

Of course, in typical NFL fashion, they just said it wasn't an autograph and would have no further comment.

So that left poor Mike Evans to have to explain.

NFL Media reports that the Cowboys have agreed to trade for defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins. They will send a 2023 sixth-round pick to Las Vegas and the Raiders will send a 2023 seventh-rounder back to Dallas.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Now that his NFL career is over... Matt Ryan..... HOF?

Borderline, leaning no.  His career is essentially a poor man's Dan Marino.  

I think he eventually gets in because I'm sure enough people will politic for him.  But he's gonna have to wait a while. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Borderline, leaning no.  His career is essentially a poor man's Dan Marino.  

I think he eventually gets in because I'm sure enough people will politic for him.  But he's gonna have to wait a while. 

I think if he wins that super bowl, he's in within the first three years. Without it, he'll get in eventually just for his stats (Top 10 in most passing categories) and for being a nice guy but with just one MVP/four Pro Bowls/no rings I think he'll probably wait a few years.

• Like 2

Part of the problem with dealing with the next tier guys(below Peyton, Brady Rodgers for the HOF: How many do you put in? Sure the stats are good, but the game has changed so much, and in five years those numbers might not look as good after Josh and Mahomes each tear the league apart. I'm not sure what order you put them in, Rivers, Big Ben, Ryan, Stafford, Eli. Do they all go in, some or none?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And the Titans are apparently getting a new stadium...

If and when it opens, it will have a capacity of 60,000 (about 8000 fewer than now) and will have a transparent roof -- which means yes, they want a Super Bowl in Nashville.   It will cost around $2.1 billion. (lol)

Nissan Stadium is currently 23 years old, btw.

It looks like an office building. I can see this stadium bumping Houston or San Antonio from the Final Four rotation, I doubt they’ll get more than 1 Super Bowl. 

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

To wrap something up from last week - the NFL has cleared the officials seen in the video getting Mike Evans to write on a piece of paper (the internet was convinced it was an autograph)

Of course, in typical NFL fashion, they just said it wasn't an autograph and would have no further comment.

So that left poor Mike Evans to have to explain.

I almost believe that story. LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Now that his NFL career is over... Matt Ryan..... HOF?

I mean, he did have 10 straight 4000yd seasons and won an MVP but... did anybody ever really think he was great? He's got a career 93.9 rating. In this era, that's nothing. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Part of the problem with dealing with the next tier guys(below Peyton, Brady Rodgers for the HOF: How many do you put in? Sure the stats are good, but the game has changed so much, and in five years those numbers might not look as good after Josh and Mahomes each tear the league apart. I'm not sure what order you put them in, Rivers, Big Ben, Ryan, Stafford, Eli. Do they all go in, some or none?

Surely Eli is a lock, if only for beating Brady twice.

• Like 1

the only QB to win two Super Bowls that hasn't been inducted? Jim Plunkett

(Phil Simms didn't start Super Bowl 25, if that's a thing you didn't realize)

Big Ben also won two Super Bowls and played 2 more years than Eli. Not that Ben's 2020-21 really added much to his case but you gotta figure that a guy can't really play himself out of induction at age 38/39?

Ben's a lock.

I think the MVP will get Ryan in.

Eli's fascinating, because he was "pretty good, but not great" for a really long time, has good counting stats, two rings, and probably two of the five most iconic passes in Super Bowl history. But I don't think he was ever a top 5 QB for an entire season, and as passing numbers continued to explode (until this season at least) his good counting stats look less impressive than they did even three years ago. I don't think him being left out would be an egregious error, and I don't think him being in would devalue the Hall. Ultimately, the two rings and the weight of the New York media will probably get him in.

• Like 1

I’m not a Matt Ryan fan at all. That play where he tried to avoid making a tackle on a pick 6 only to get ran over cattle stampede style is something that’s a part of his legacy in my mind similar to Tom Brady being tackled a couple of weeks ago. I don’t think he’s a HoFer.

Eli is in for the 2nd biggest upset in history IMO.

I think Ben is overrated but who are we kidding he’s in. 

Idk what the big deal is about Mike Evans when Brady has high fived officials during games. 

• Like 1