DVDVR Message Board

UFC 280: Oliveira vs. Makhachev (10/22/2022) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (Etihad Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

The term robbery is definitely overused, but that’s one if I’ve ever seen it. Feel for Yan, I still view him as the best in the division but now he’s probably looking at 2-3 more fights for a title shot when it should be his next fight. Maybe they’ll do him vs. Chito for the #1 contenders position while O’Malley gets a shot he doesn’t deserve.

It's scary that I think Makhachev had way tougher (tougher being relative) fights against lesser opponents on his way up than this fight with Do Bronx. Charles looked like he was caught completely off guard.

Props to Volkanovski though because Makhachev is probably the last guy I would face moving up in weight. 

• Like 1

As for the Bantamweight title picture, I would assume it will be Sterling vs. Vera and Yan vs. O'Malley gets reran for five rounds. Yan is probably gonna fight Rob Font. However, I can also see him fighting Merab which probably doesn't make sense cause Merab and Sterling won't fight if Aljamain is champ. Merab is just gonna fight until he literally fights everyone who isn't Aljamain?

I said it here but I think Aljo deserved the win last time, it just sucks that round 1 was the deciding round, and Yan’s 4/5 more impressive than Aljo’s 2/3. It’s just a fault of the judging system.

This one I don’t understand at all though. Any time O’Malley looked good Yan would immediately punish him and even the score. You can say it was even on the feet but Yan had 5 minutes of control time, and not just holding him down. They should do what they did after Aldo/Moraes (which I thought was more of a toss up) and reward the rightful winner. Not that I expect that tho.

Edited by A.M.B.
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, A.M.B. said:

I said it here but I think Aljo deserved the win last time, it just sucks that round 1 was the deciding round, and Yan’s 4/5 more impressive than Akko’s 2/3. It’s just a fault of the judging system.

This one I don’t understand at all though. Any time O’Malley looked good Yan would immediately punish him and even the score. You can say it was even on the feet but Yan had 5 minutes of control time, and not just holding him down. They should do what they did after Aldo/Moraes (which I thought was more of a toss up) and reward the rightful winner. Not that I expect that tho.

The issue is technically Petr has lost 3 of his last four fights. I mean the UFC can do whatever they wanna do, but the best solution is just do a five round rematch. I think that would be the most captivating thing to do especially since Petr Yan gets better as a fight goes on. Add in the fact that the last time we expected Petr Yan to win a rematch easily, his opponent ended up doing way better than the previous fight.

I mean Aljamain isn't starving for challengers. Whether it's Cejudo or Chito Vera, he can face someone who makes a compelling opponent. Just do Yan vs. O'Malley II on ESPN or ABC in the interim. Problem solved.

• Like 1

Awesome show. Great to see Makhachev reach the top, great to see TJ get smashed. OMalley/Yan ruled overall. Nice performances/victories from Dariush, Belal, and Fiorot. Khamzat is the best heel

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1

Glad TJ Dillashaw lost, really didn't want him to win for how he cheated with EPO. Even if he didn't, he was never the Bantamweight GOAT, that's Dominick Cruz.

This as well:

One of my least favourite fighters ever, actually might be my #1.

• Like 2

Seen the finish to Islam/Oliveira on Twitter. Great finish submitting the guy with the most submission wins and finishes in UFC history with arm triangle choke. What a statement of intent. Khabib and now Islam.

Sounds like Yan was really robbed. Mmadecisions.com has collected all the media scores and not one scored it for Sean.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Glad TJ Dillashaw lost, really didn't want him to win for how he cheated with EPO. Even if he didn't, he was never the Bantamweight GOAT, that's Dominick Cruz.

This as well:

One of my least favourite fighters ever, actually might be my #1.

As far as the last sentiment of that tweet: Hey, sports betting is a sucker's game. Assuming "millions" actually bet on him, don't feel sorry for any of them. Do feel bad for Yan and Katlyn. They were both robbed. 

* I guess I shouldn't feel bad for Katlyn since she missed weight. I still think she clearly won two rounds. But live by point fighting, die by point fighting.

Edited by Execproducer
Mea Culpa
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Seen the finish to Islam/Oliveira on Twitter. Great finish submitting the guy with the most submission wins and finishes in UFC history with arm triangle choke. What a statement of intent. Khabib and now Islam.

To be fair this is Oliveira's fourth-and-a-half submission loss in the UFC. I think Clay Guida has the record with seven? Charlie might get there.

Honestly who in the division can beat Islam at this point?

I have a feeling the influx of dagestani fighters is eventually going to paint the UFC in a corner. Too dominant for most fighters on the roster, won’t fight each other and not really marketable for Western audiences. At least that is my take, what the hell do I know, not trying to make this political. 

3 hours ago, Dirty J. said:

Honestly who in the division can beat Islam at this point?

I have a feeling the influx of dagestani fighters is eventually going to paint the UFC in a corner. Too dominant for most fighters on the roster, won’t fight each other and not really marketable for Western audiences. At least that is my take, what the hell do I know, not trying to make this political. 

I dunno about the marketable aspect...I mean it's becoming clear that if you continue to win or dominate, you can become a draw. Probably not a massive draw, but a draw nonetheless. It's a stark contrast from the Mighty Mouse era. The UFC is probably the hottest it has been in awhile and a good percentage of the top fighters are from somewhere else other than the U.S. I think part of it is the UFC as a brand is hot and doesn't necessarily need every fighter to be super marketable, which is probably what the UFC wants. Not great for the fighters obviously (especially when it comes down to a new deal), but the UFC's matchmaking is no longer solely dependent on having megafight every few months that might put 1 or 2 divisions on hold. So you can get a guy like Islam Makhachev challenging for a UFC title and not having to wait an entire year for the division to kinda sort itself out.

• Like 1

Meltzer:

Yesterday's UFC show saw TJ Dillashaw go in injured with a shoulder that he after the fight revealed had had been popping out since April and had done so at least 20 times. It happened seconds into the fight, but it was clear he was hurt previously because he never warmed up and he didn't do a public workout before the fight but his camp evidently kept it a secret from everyone until the told the referee before the fight that it may go out and if it does, please don't stop it because his corner can put it in between rounds if he can survive the round. He was taking a bad beating in round two for too long before it was finally stopped. Dana White claimed he had no idea about this going in. People do go in injured but one would think something like this should be found out in a pre-fight physical. The fight had no business happening as Dillashaw was basically going into the fight with one arm. He had virtually no chance to win, but evidently just wanted to get the payday. He apologized for holding up the division but he said he didn't want to have to wait another year for a title shot. Something like this should not happen again, as it was pretty much a fraud on the public that you'd be having a bantamweight title fight between two of the top guys when one of them couldn't really fight. The snap judgment would be to blame the doctors but fighters fool commission doctors all the time, given Michael Bisping fought for years with one eye. 

Dana White said, "I had no idea, so that's a problem. How could the athletic commission know if he doesn't tell us? You've got to tell us. He looked good. It's not like he came in out of shape, or looked like he was injured, but yeah, that's something he should have told us."

Islam Makhachev won the vacant lightweight title beating Charles Oliveira by submission. There was a face-to-face with Alexander Volkanovski, the featherweight champion, about doing a battle of champions in March in Australia. Both agreed to it.

In the Sean O'Malley win over Petr Yan, which 100 percent of media scores went to Yan but two of the three judges went for O'Malley, I saw it 29-28 for Yan. The first round was competitive but I think Yan won it. Yan won round two solid. The third round could have gone either way. The two judges who gave the fight to O'Malley gave him rounds one and three, Ben Cartlidge and David Lethaby. It was a bad decision, not a robbery even though virtually everyone saw it for Yan. A robbery means there's no way you could judge it like this. I'd call it a bad call. O'Malley did land more strikes but Yan had six takedowns. But round three could go either way and all three judges gave that round to O'Malley as did the majority of media. Found one was competitive although it would be hard to give that one to O'Malley, but it wasn't like it was horrible to do so. It was clear O'Malley himself didn't think he won and he said it was toughest fight ever. Dana White had said the winner would get the next bantamweight title shot, but there are a lot of ways it can go now. O'Malley didn't go off on wanting a title shot but did say if the fans wanted it he'd do it. 

For Google searches, the only thing that cracked the top 20 among combat sports this week was the UFC show at 1.6 million, which is low for a PPV. Even though on paper it looked like a strong card for insiders, the Dillashaw situation soured it and perhaps because of the early start time, interest was down. Sean O'Malley was No. 3 in searches yesterday with 500,000, which is a huge number for a non-main eventer. Dillashaw was No. 11 with 100,000.