DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series 2013

Brian Fowler

20131124_Light_Exclusive_SSeries_PunkBry

"There is only one team, in the history of Professional Wrestling/Sports Entertainment that can unite the powers of the two biggest Trolls on the DVDVR Message Board.  The team of The Best and the Beard.  Two years of Trolling, now combined into one superstar team.  

They're here!"

wondertwins.gif

• Like 4

"There is only one team, in the history of Professional Wrestling/Sports Entertainment that can unite the powers of the two biggest Trolls on the DVDVR Message Board.  The team of The Best and the Beard.  Two years of Trolling, now combined into one superstar team.  

They're here!"

There's only two?!??! 

Did something get screwed up in the Wyatt match? At one point, Rowan was standing in the middle of the ring with Bryan down and Harper was talking to Rowan. It seemed like a very awkward moment. Other than that, I loved the match. Even Rowan was a lot better than he usually is, although he's nowhere near Harper's level. Harper is fantastic.

I fast-forwarded through Cena/Del Rio and Show/Orton. I couldn't care less about any of those guys.

Reigns was great, though, and I loved Rollins pulling out that leaping curb stomp-type manoeuvre. I don't think I've seen him use it since being called up. But... God damn, Reigns is great.

20131124_Light_Exclusive_SSeries_PunkBry

They're here!"

wondertwins.gif

K4dynqT.gif

• Like 1

Did something get screwed up in the Wyatt match? At one point, Rowan was standing in the middle of the ring with Bryan down and Harper was talking to Rowan. It seemed like a very awkward moment. Other than that, I loved the match. Even Rowan was a lot better than he usually is, although he's nowhere near Harper's level. Harper is fantastic.

Ok, so I noticed this too and rewound it a few times.  Harper is telling Rowan what moves to do.  "Body Slam him."  *Rowan looks over*  "Body Slam him again, body slam him three times" *Rowan looks over again* "good".

So either:

A. Rowan is legitimately that green.

B. They are establishing Harper as the 2nd in command.

C. A combination of A and B.  They are working Rowan's lack of experience into the character.

I do seem to recall Cole saying something odd about Rowan "going through a process" or something similar at the beginning of the match.

Did something get screwed up in the Wyatt match? At one point, Rowan was standing in the middle of the ring with Bryan down and Harper was talking to Rowan. It seemed like a very awkward moment.

Ah you see, that's because the Moment pulled them all out of time as an exception so they were able to cross their own time lines just that once. It wasn't explained well so I can see why you'd find it awkward.

• Like 3

More thoughts as I watch this thing...

Too many missed shoulder blocks into the ring post to change momentum. There were a LOT of them. 

Mark Henry getting psyched up against the barricade, backing into the fans, is a cool touch. I'd pay a million dollars to sit in that spot and yell "HOPE YOU PAID THAT AIR BILL MOTHER FUCKER!" over his shoulder. Ryback is Hercules Hernandez, and I can live with that. I really like his act, and I think he does really well in the ring. The finish to the match was great.

Del Rio was good in his match, but it suffered from a story that didn't get sold. Everything that Cena did to beat Del Rio came from him using his arm, which was being worked on the whole time. It's not unlike juniors who work the leg, play it up like a huge deal, and then go on a spring board spree for the finishing stretch. There was a couple of bright spots, like Cena thinking he got the three count and willing to argue about it, or Del Rio getting hyped when the croupd started chanting "Si"

Wyatts vs. Punk/Bryan was a pretty good match. I don't see a big problem with Rowan. I like his look, and he can brawl. He's a step behind on some of the timing stuff, but he's wrestling up against two guys who are really great at timing shit out, so it's going to show. Luke Harper fit in perfect, and made the most of his time. He has a Scott Hall-like ability to look spry and agile, but still be a big brawler. He'll be really handy if they keep him protected.

Also Punk and Bryan were WAY more engaging to the crowd than Cena. Even the usual mixed-reactions to Cena seemed lackadaisical. Like the Let's Go Cena/Cena Sucks chant. They can't even get into hating him anymore. Meanwhile, they're doing the slow clap in the first couple of minutes after Punk is in a bear hug.

Orton/Big Show was just not interesting at all, and I like both of those guys. But what a boring way to end the show.

You know what? I think Cena/Orton is kind of poetic. They were two of the biggest stars of the Brand Extension Era, and if they unify these belts, they'll officially close it out. It's not a fresh matchup, but it's an interesting context. Of course it would probably be better for someone newer to be the one to win both belts and and be leader of a new era - but I don't even know what that era would be. WWE feels like it's in transition and isn't exactly sure where it's going. The stories aren't very good, but man do they have a fucking fantastic midcard group of guys, putting on some fun bouts. The only problem is nothing really seems to have any weight, and I don't care who is winning and losing.

Reigns reminds me of Ryback more than anything.  Unknown quantity with a good look who got over a little bit, and was pushed hard with huge expectations based off a really limited body of work.  Maybe Reigns will work out better and become the next Batista?  I still don't see him supplanting Cena, though.

I'd say there's more potential for Reigns to end up like Ryback than Batista, but that's meant as a criticism of the writing rather than Roman's talent. It's easy to see the potential for comparisons to Batista (protected big guy in a top stable), but when was the last time any new guy got pushed liked Batista? When they started teasing dissension in Evolution, HHH was acting scared of Dave the whole time. Batista then went on to dominate a chamber (while HHH laid back and reaped the benefits), outsmarted HHH with a dominating turn (even though human chess wasn't supposed to be his forte), then beat HHH clean in 3 straight ppv matches before becoming the undisputed number one guy on SD (which was still a big deal in 2005). Not only is there not a HHH-like figure in the Shield, can you imagine him getting any similar type of push in today's WWE? No one is going to be the next Batista or Cena until they get pushed like Batista or Cena.

Reigns was great, though, and I loved Rollins pulling out that leaping curb stomp-type manoeuvre. I don't think I've seen him use it since being called up. 

He's been using that as a part-time finisher, although he doesn't get falls very often. He also uses the springboard knee strike sometimes, but I'm guessing they're trying to get away from that one because of Bryan's new move. He used the curbstomp on a chair to Bryan in their debut TLC match, and has used it to pin Bryan in the tag title match with Orton at Payback, as well as pinning Kofi, R-Truth, and now one of the Usos in multi-man matches.

You know what? I think Cena/Orton is kind of poetic. They were two of the biggest stars of the Brand Extension Era, and if they unify these belts, they'll officially close it out. It's not a fresh matchup, but it's an interesting context. Of course it would probably be better for someone newer to be the one to win both belts and and be leader of a new era - but I don't even know what that era would be.

They need someone to play Jericho to Cena/Orton's Austin/Rock.

You know what? I think Cena/Orton is kind of poetic. They were two of the biggest stars of the Brand Extension Era, and if they unify these belts, they'll officially close it out. It's not a fresh matchup, but it's an interesting context. Of course it would probably be better for someone newer to be the one to win both belts and and be leader of a new era - but I don't even know what that era would be.

They need someone to play Jericho to Cena/Orton's Austin/Rock.

The obvious one has to be Bryan yeah?