DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series 2013

Brian Fowler

My gut was to not order the PPV and just watch the game. I had a friend coming over to split the PPV cost though and hadn't seen him in a while so I went with the PPV and then watched the end of the football game.

Now I wish I'd have said fuck them both and caught up on video games instead. Hindsight, peeps.

Fuck those smark fans for trying to hijack a great main event with their stupid Daniel Bryan chants. Somehow Vince needs to find away to make sure their real fans(RAW, and Smackdown crowds) get those PPV tickets before the smarks do.

I don't think it has to be smarky fans to not be into the Orton/Show match. It was a fine match, but if they don't care, they don't care.

The entire crowd didn't seem to care about the whole match. Not just the "smart" fans.

Don't give me "if they don't care, they don't care". These "fans" don't care. But judging by the ratings, and the reaction from the TV crowds those real fans do care.

I'm just glad Vince never really gives in to these smark crowds, or else Ryder would be a main eventer.

LOL @ "real fans". The fuck does that even mean? Considering how much the tickets to that shitshow must have been, I can't really call anyone who doled out their money to go a "fake fan".

• Like 6

Fuck those smark fans for trying to hijack a great main event with their stupid Daniel Bryan chants. Somehow Vince needs to find away to make sure their real fans(RAW, and Smackdown crowds) get those PPV tickets before the smarks do.

I don't think it has to be smarky fans to not be into the Orton/Show match. It was a fine match, but if they don't care, they don't care.

The entire crowd didn't seem to care about the whole match. Not just the "smart" fans.

Don't give me "if they don't care, they don't care". These "fans" don't care. But judging by the ratings, and the reaction from the TV crowds those real fans do care.

I'm just glad Vince never really gives in to these smark crowds, or else Ryder would be a main eventer.

LOL @ "real fans". The fuck does that even mean? Considering how much the tickets to that shitshow must have been, I can't really call anyone who doled out their money to go a "fake fan".

And yet they don't act like "fans". They act like animals trying to selfishly put the attention on themselves while the Superstars bust their asses for them. And for what? So they can chant boring. Or even worse chant the name of a Superstar who isn't even in the main event anymore.

• Like 1

This show was exactly what I expected. The tags were fun, and everything else was boring.

Roman vs. The World was pretty cool. He has improved a lot, so I'm pretty ok with a push for him. I'm not sure Reigns is the next big thing, but he deserves a shot. Hopefully he's not the next Ryback. 

The only other good thing to come out of the first 2 hours was Axel and Ryback being jobbed into oblivion. I fear them quickly resurfacing as tag title contenders, but hopefully they both just disappear. 

Bryan/Punk/Wyatts built up some nice steam by the end. I wish they would just start running Bray/Harper for important matches because Rowan just can't carry his weight in a big match at this point. He's starting to stand out in a bad way in this gimmick. That said, Luke Harper is every bit as good as Rowan is bad. That guy sells the gimmick while still doing freaking half nelson suplexes and avalanche powerbombs. Sure, it was Bryan taking the moves, so I wouldn't expect them every match, but just seeing him show that kind of range makes him special. That guy's a keeper. 

Main event was really bad. They had a good match at Extreme Rules, but this one had nothing that made that match work. No gimmick, no hot crowd, and main event expectations heading in. The "non-physical" interference was painfully obvious. Only redeeming quality was it still had the punt. I'm actually not opposed to more Cena/Orton matches, as I'm one of the few people who really loved their feud in 09. I am opposed to wasting a unification gimmick match on them when that should definitely be used to put someone different over. 

And yet they don't act like "fans". They act like animals trying to selfishly put the attention on themselves while the Superstars bust their asses for them. And for what? So they can chant boring. Or even worse chant the name of a Superstar who isn't even in the main event anymore.

Throw in a "boys in the back" mention and this could be a Cyrus promo from ECW on TNN.

• Like 4

To call anything on the show "great" is a bit much. The. 5-5 was good but far from special. Wyatt's/Punk&Bryan was nothing more than a glorified Raw match. Cena/ADR was a your run of the mill Cena title match. And the Main Even was absolutely dreadful, coming in I knew it wasn't going to be any good. Yet somehow it still disappointed me ( out of the 4 people at my home watching this 2 fell asleep.)

Really liked Cena/Alberto, thought they had another good match there. 5 on 5 was good stuff as well, definitely felt like a big moment for Reigns. Langston/Axel was filler and the divas match was mostly nothing with everyone going through the come in, do your move, eliminate routine. Did think Nikki Bella looked good and found it bizarre how they completely ignored her not being eliminated until correcting it later. Eva coming in to loud boos and the Jojo spot were fun. Good to have Henry back and yeah Ryback continues to fall further and further. Punk/Bryan vs Wyatts was a lot of fun too, enjoying the Punk/Bryan team. Main event was dull and really short. I also think there's no way the Cena/Orton thing leads to Mania, TLC more likely. If it is unification it would be just like Vengeance 01 being at the December PPV. Though with some of the recent finishes, I could see them running a title vs title TLC match that ends in some sort of no contest/draw too. Overall this show turned out pretty much exactly how it seemed on paper.

• Like 1

Look I want to begin with what I'm about to say is a bit outlandish. But it is at all possible that the WWE was sandbagging it on this PPV? Honestly is it crazy to think that they (Vince and company) put together this below average show on purpose. Here me out on this because I'm never one for conspiracy theories or this other crazy internet bs but something stunk about this whole build to a supposed "big four" show of the year. With the WWE about to renegotiate for their TV rights and the new network on the horizon you would assume ratings,PPV buys,and overall popularity will play large part in that upcoming negotiations. So to show improvement in all those areas you bottom out this month and show steady gains from here on out. Honestly why else would you place Show ( a guy whom hasn't drawn in years and you could argue never drew) in the Main Event? Vince and company know that they aren't dumb. They know that a decent number of fans will buy the Survivor Series just habitually along with the parents of children who want to watch Cena. So following tonight's show you have the build towards unifying the titles along with the returns of Brock, Taker etc. to coincide with the "road to Wrestlemania ratings will rise. So going into the TV negotiations the WWE can show that they as a company are on the upswing and demand more cash? Am I far off on this?

Yes, you are. It's just mark talk. WWE is doing what they sincerely think will make them the most money, all the time, which has nothing to do with in-ring quality, and marks need to accept this and stop struggling.

Heavens to betsy, they chanted "boring" during a boring fucking snoozefest of a match? They had the audacity to actually chant for their favorite wrestler?!?

Interesting. How, pray tell, are "real" fans supposed to act? And who exactly determines what separates a "real" fan from a "fake" fan?

I'm also wondering why you think someone who spends anywhere from $25-$300 on a ticket is any less of a fan than someone who sits on their couch two hours a week and flips back and forth between RAW and Monday Night Football. Who is to say the two are even mutually exclusive?

tl;dr -- what the fuck are you talking about?

• Like 2

I've only seen the elimination match and the end of the main. But what the hell is Cena even doing out there? Orton just won his match but it's Cena's music playing at the end? That's some Hulk Hogan level stuff right there. They gotta hear my music and go home happy, brother.

Reigns though is a star. But has he even had a singles match? He's getting over as a beast with the Shield but if they part ways can he stay over in singles matches? I guess the easiest thing to do is just have him spear all his opponents in 3 seconds & give him the Diesel spot in the rumble.

Never Happen Fantasy Booking Alert:

Cena/Orton unify the titles at Royal Rumble. UT makes a surprise return at the Rumble and wins it. Cena/UT at the Rumble: Streak vs. WWE Title. Does Taker still have enough to overcome Cena AND win the WWE title? Will Cena finally end the streak on a rapidly aging Undertaker? Cena/Taker is the last fantasy match they have and many have been calling for it for years. Add in the WWE Title, and it adds so much more intrigue and with the match being against Super Cena actually makes it seem like Taker could possibly finally lose. Then add in the storyline of Undertaker coming back to say HE is the face of WWE and has been for 20 years against an Authority backed semi-heel turned Cena.....I'd buy WM on that match alone.

But yeah, it will never happen and it will probably be Cena/HHH and Brock/Taker at Mania instead.

• Like 1

Reigns%20SS%20Article%20IMAGE%20FINAL.jp

I don't know why anyone is straining to figure out who the next Cena will be for WWE. There he is.

Whether he can succeed in the role or not, there he is...

I'd guess closer to the next Ryback, but I have no idea.  Has Reigns even had a singles match on WWE TV?  I vaguely remember a couple singles matches in FCW, and nothing really gave me the impression that he had the mic skills or workrate to make it to the main event (though you could say that about a lot of guys.  I wouldn't have predicted main event success for Cena, Orton, or Batista based on their work in developmental).

Reigns reminds me of Ryback more than anything.  Unknown quantity with a good look who got over a little bit, and was pushed hard with huge expectations based off a really limited body of work.  Maybe Reigns will work out better and become the next Batista?  I still don't see him supplanting Cena, though.

The 5 on 5, as expected was the match of the night. While I'm all for a classic survivor series elimination match it is tough watching so manh guys I like eating dopey looking pins to keep the match moving.

This was a very flat crowd. I don't even think it was a particularly smart crowd who was crapping on things. The crowd just wasn't into what they were being sold.

What I don't understand about WWE creative is they have made it a priority to introduce new talents with builds and purpose. Yet they keep on bringing back main event players(Cena,Mysterio and now Henry) in the most inconsequential anti-climactic way possible.