DVDVR Message Board

2022-23 NBA SEASON: 1st Half

RIPPA

1 minute ago, ohtani's jacket said:

The Warriors finally gave up on Wiseman. What a bust. At least we got Payton back. Never should have let him go. 

Troy Weaver apparently loves highly drafted big men that have flopped. Keeps taking flyers on them, maybe one of them will pay off eventually.

On 2/9/2023 at 6:05 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

The Lakers got Mychal Thompson from the Spurs in February of '87 and won the next two titles, but I guess he wasn't a star. 

The Sixers traded for Mutombo in '01 and made the finals. 

A fairly big one I forgot was Marc Gasol going to Toronto in 2019. 

An article on The Ringer pointed out every NBA champion since the turn of the century that made an in-season trade the year they won it all.

Detroit in 04 with Sheed

San Antonio in 05 with Nazr Muhammad

Toronto in 19 with Gasol

Milwaukee in 21 with PJ Tucker

Gary Payton II failed his physical so the 4 way trade that has James Wiseman going to the Pistons is in jeopardy

The Warriors have until Saturday to go through with the deal or rescind the entire trade. No amendments to the deal can be made due to the passing of Thursday's trade deadline.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35632914/sources-gary-payton-injury-puts-4-team-trade-risk

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Gary Payton II failed his physical so the 4 way trade that has James Wiseman going to the Pistons is in jeopardy

The Warriors have until Saturday to go through with the deal or rescind the entire trade. No amendments to the deal can be made due to the passing of Thursday's trade deadline.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35632914/sources-gary-payton-injury-puts-4-team-trade-risk

Portland is potentially in hot water for this trade with the league.  Payton has apparently only been able to play because he's been getting shot up with pain meds, information that Portland failed to reveal.  The league doesn't look kindly on that kind of stuff and could levy fines or strip Portland of draft picks.

The latest update is that the Warriors are trying to get the NBA to approve it that they can still file a grievance against Portland and complete the trade

The Golden State Warriors are discussing with the NBA a way to complete their four-team trade with Portland, Detroit and Atlanta, and still preserve their rights to pursue recourse on how the Trail Blazers shared guard Gary Payton II's medical information with them prior to the agreement, sources told ESPN on Sunday.

If that process is successfully completed Sunday -- and the Warriors can approve the deal without losing their ability to further pursue the matter -- the players involved in the trade are expected to be able to join their new teams, sources said.

The deal, agreed to prior to Thursday's trade deadline, sends Payton to Golden State, James Wiseman to Detroit, Saddiq Bey to Atlanta and Kevin Knox II to Portland. The Warriors also sent five second-round picks -- including two via Atlanta -- to the Blazers in the deal.

There is a 9:30 p.m. ET deadline on the Warriors to make a final decision on Payton's physical and the fate of the trade, sources said.

A Golden State physical revealed that Payton would be out for a significant part of the remaining season, and the Warriors have shared with the league office that they believe Portland withheld relevant medical information prior to agreeing on the trade, sources said.

The trade can't be amended or changed, because the league's trade deadline passed on Thursday at 3 p.m. ET.

The NBA could punish Portland with a fine and loss of draft picks if an investigation were to discover "a failure to disclose relevant information" on Payton's abdominal injury that required offseason surgery and forced him to miss the first 35 games of the season. The Warriors believe they should've been told that Payton had been using Toradol to alleviate pain, sources said.

On 2/15/2023 at 10:54 AM, Lawful Metal said:

Anybody want to coach the Rockets? 

Ime Udoka?  Boston removed the interim tag from Mazzulla’s job title and gave him a new contract, so Udoka is going to be job hunting.  Not sure what the rest of the league thinks of him, but he’s potentially a splashy hire.

I still don’t believe he was fired just because of a HR infraction.  There were hints that the relationship wasn’t quite consensual or that he stalked her afterwards or something, but that talk died down awfully quickly,  I heard a rumor he slept with the owner’s wife.  I’m skeptical but it would explain a lot.

Edited by Doc Townsend

1 hour ago, Doc Townsend said:

Ime Udoka?  Boston removed the interim tag from Mazzulla’s job title and gave him a new contract, so Udoka is going to be job hunting.  Not sure what the rest of the league thinks of him, but he’s potentially a splashy hire.

I still don’t believe he was fired just because of a HR infraction.  There were hints that the relationship wasn’t quite consensual or that he stalked her afterwards or something, but that talk died down awfully quickly,  I heard a rumor he slept with the owner’s wife.  I’m skeptical but it would explain a lot.

I’ll take him! But will cheap ass Tillman Fertita?

My thing about the Dunk Contest is that my memory of the best dunks (Jordan from the foul line etcetera), is the elegance of them. They defied gravity.

Now, the dunks are like explosions. violent and somewhat scary to a point. Just nothing but power.  I think it's also because a lot of the earlier dunk contests were scorers who could dunk. Now, they're specialized dunkers.

7 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

My thing about the Dunk Contest is that my memory of the best dunks (Jordan from the foul line etcetera), is the elegance of them. They defied gravity.

Now, the dunks are like explosions. violent and somewhat scary to a point. Just nothing but power.  I think it's also because a lot of the earlier dunk contests were scorers who could dunk. Now, they're specialized dunkers.

Only so many times you can jump off the top of a cage

• Like 1