DVDVR Message Board

2022-23 NBA SEASON: 1st Half

RIPPA

40 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Hopefully the Nets debacle is the nail in the coffin of the "let's go play together" b.s. 

I think there will always be stars who want to join forces, and I don't really mind it. What I'm thankful for is that data has kind of proven the Big 3 Super Team to not be the path of least resistance we thought it was. We now have a lot more examples of Big 3-ish situations being absolute disasters since that original Boston team hooked up. My god remember the Kobe/Nash/Dwight Howard Lakers?

Ownership have now felt the negative consequences when you sell off depth and future assets for superstars. Egos. Headcases. Bodies that breakdown. You better be certain you're picking the right trio. If you fuck that up it's not just a bad year, but possibly a bad decade - one that you will be fired for.

• Like 1

Well, and these things are weird and stochastic and the gap between "best" and "next" is so small.  People forget the Nets were a toe away from having a good shot at making the Finals, or at least keeping the Bucks from doing it.  People also forget that, if 5 or 6 plays go differently across Games 4 & 5 of the 2021 Finals, we're talking about Devin Booker as a Finals MVP with 2 40-point closeout performances to ice the Bucks, and maybe their drive to get Title # 2 doesn't lead them to these lengths.

Or maybe that toe is behind the 3-point line, the Nets make it to that Finals against the Suns, and this trade doesn't happen because Phoenix refuses to trade for the guy who beat them in the 2021 Finals!  It's all madness!

Edited by Contentious C

GSW is trading James Wiseman to Detroit

Detroit sends Saddiq Bey to Atlanta

Atlanta is sending the Warriors five(!) 2's to complete the deal. 

--

In a separate deal, Atlanta is trading Justin Holliday & Frank Kamisky to Houston

The Rockets are sending the Hawks Garrison Matthews and Bruno Fernando. 

Woj's refusal to learn how to thread tweets is driving me insane. 

Clip sends Luke Kennard to Memphis.  Memphis sends three 2's to LA.  Houston is getting swap rights to LA's 1?  I think? 

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Woj's refusal to learn how to thread tweets is driving me insane. 

This is why I was baffled by that 3 way trade from earlier - which btw was

12:37 p.m. ET: The Portland Trail Blazers are acquiring the Philadelphia 76ers' Matisse Thybulle as a part of a three-way trade with the Charlotte Hornets, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. The 76ers are getting Jalen McDaniels in the deal from Charlotte. The Blazers are routing Svi Mykhailiuk to Charlotte. Mykhailiuk was acquired from the Knicks in the deal that sent Josh Hart to New York.

7 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Oh Durant. What a bitch. Whenever the going gets tough, join a better team.

So?  I’m mostly neutral on Durant, but I think he gets a bad rap.  When he joined Golden State, fans and media started running with a narrative that Durant should have gone to a team where he’d be the centerpiece and the team would build around him, instead of adding him as a spare part on an already good team.  Apparently, when you are that good, your legacy demands that you go build a title winner from scratch.

The thing is, I have no idea if Durant has ever wanted to do that, or cared that much about his legacy.  It’s his career, not mine, so he probably should make choices to suit himself, not me.  He’s 34.  If he can sell the owner and gm on the idea that they need him, why not go to a contender and get out of a bad situation?

I do think you can blame Durant for the destruction of the Nets,  He’s consistently backed Kyrie even when it looked fairly obvious that Kyrie was a distraction.  I don’t think it would have been too much of an ask to expect him to assert some authority in the locker room.  But that didn’t happen, so here we are.  I hope someday I can find someone who supports me as wholeheartedly as KD backs Kyrie.  I mean, I’d probably have to divorce my wife and marry a nicer person, but I can dream.

• Like 1

Someone figured out that multiple 2's are the NBA trade machine equivalent of a 1 and now the teams are out there shuffling late draft picks like they're Garbage Pail Kids.

To wit, Portland trades Gary Payton II to Golden State in exchange for Kevin Knox and five 2's. 

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Someone figured out that multiple 2's are the NBA trade machine equivalent of a 1 and now the teams are out there shuffling late draft picks like they're Garbage Pail Kids.

To wit, Portland trades Gary Payton II to Golden State in exchange for Kevin Knox and five 2's. 

How many big names are there in the league right now that were drafted in the 2nd? 

There have been a few guys who've come on the last year or so who were 2nd-rounders, too: Nick Claxton, Bol Bol, Terance Mann, and then Jalen Brunson has probably been the best of them.  Brogdon was a 2nd-round guy and won ROY.  You may not get the unicorns, but you can sure as Hell land key role players, and depth is usually the difference between the star-studded team that wins and the team that doesn't.  An interesting way to look at it is to go to basketball-reference, pull up a given draft, and then sort by Win Shares.  You get some crazy stuff like Dwight Powell being the 4th-best pick from the same draft as Jokic (but Jokic has more than 2x the WS).

Edited by Contentious C

So with the huge KD trade, I think it's useful to remember that in-season trades for stars rarely turn into championships that year.

The Pistons in 89 did it when the swapped AD for Mark Aguirre and spent the rest of the year playing like one of the five best teams ever.

The Rockets in 95 traded for Drexler, actually won at a lower percentage after the trade through the end of the season, and then had the most improbable title run ever.

The 04 Pistons got Sheed and turned into the stingiest defense in shot clock era history en route to winning the title.

The 08 Lakers got damn close after the Gasol trade but lost in six in the finals (they did win the next two of course)

I can't think of any other in-season star trades that resulted in finals appearances, though I might be forgetting something. Point is, it's rare.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Rockets in 95 traded for Drexler, actually won at a lower percentage after the trade through the end of the season, and then had the most improbable title run ever.

That was the “NBA disrespected Dream by giving MVP to David Robinson” season. See sig.

Once they figured out they could start Robert Horry at PF in the playoffs it absolutely unlocked the team especially after Mad Max quit on the team. I’m trying to remember if this was around the time Max was trying to stab Dream during halftime or if that was earlier. But yeah once the starters were figured out and rotation without Max settled they all took turns getting red hot from 3 and of course Dream was unbeatable. He took that disrespect seriously. If you single covered him he’d score and probably get an and-1. If you doubled that meant someone was open for 3. And then old man Clyde still had 40 point games left in him. And then there’s the one game where they had 40 each. 

best fucking playoff run ever. Clutch City forever.

20 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

That was the “NBA disrespected Dream by giving MVP to David Robinson” season. See sig.

Once they figured out they could start Robert Horry at PF in the playoffs it absolutely unlocked the team especially after Mad Max quit on the team. I’m trying to remember if this was around the time Max was trying to stab Dream during halftime or if that was earlier. But yeah once the starters were figured out and rotation without Max settled they all took turns getting red hot from 3 and of course Dream was unbeatable. He took that disrespect seriously. If you single covered him he’d score and probably get an and-1. If you doubled that meant someone was open for 3. And then old man Clyde still had 40 point games left in him. And then there’s the one game where they had 40 each. 

best fucking playoff run ever. Clutch City forever.

They really were a much more modern offensive scheme than anybody else at that time. A four out attack surrounding an elite one on one scorer with four three point shooters. By both opponent seeds and winning percentage it was the hardest playoff run for a champion ever. They literally have a strong case for both the best and worst champion in NBA history, depending on the angle you look at it from.

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

They really were a much more modern offensive scheme than anybody else at that time. A four out attack surrounding an elite one on one scorer with four three point shooters. By both opponent seeds and winning percentage it was the hardest playoff run for a champion ever. They literally have a strong case for both the best and worst champion in NBA history, depending on the angle you look at it from.

Definitely the best

I just watched Ben Simmons attack the basket and try to score on two consecutive possessions.  I think I just had a stroke.

Also, Andre Drummond really needs to push himself away from the deep-dish pizzas and Italian beefs. Yeeeeeesh.

Edited by Contentious C

7 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I just watched Ben Simmons attack the basket and try to score on two consecutive possessions.  I think I just had a stroke.

Also, Andre Drummond really needs to push himself away from the deep-dish pizzas and Italian beefs. Yeeeeeesh.

Try watching a Rockets game. You’ll be dead by halftime!

There's no way I'd call the '95 Rockets the worst team to win a championship. Even if you discount their incredible playoff run, they went back to back and had the best player in the NBA in Dream. You could maybe argue that they were the worst regular season team to win a title, but I don't think that really means much. 

The Nets were on a tear before KD got hurt and were climbing up the standings after their awful start. Now look at them. 

The Warriors finally gave up on Wiseman. What a bust. At least we got Payton back. Never should have let him go.