DVDVR Message Board

2022-23 NBA SEASON: 1st Half

RIPPA

20 hours ago, LF2 said:

Actually Hardens closest would be 53-16-17 against the Knicks on 12/31/16. I’ll give him that game since his rebounds were closer, and his assists were higher. Plus it should keep @Lawful Metal happy.

I'll be happy when one of Alperen Sengun, Jalen Green, Jabari Smith Jr. or KPJ pulls that off.  KPJ did have a 50 pointer against the Bucks once. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Pictured - The only two players in the league who are 38 years old or older:

haslem-lebron-usatsi_7865077.jpg

Happy birthday Lebron

He celebrated his birthday with 47/10/9.  Has anybody else ever scored 47+ at the age of 38 or older? Kareem, MJ, and Kobe all didn't... 

7 hours ago, Tabe said:

He celebrated his birthday with 47/10/9.  Has anybody else ever scored 47+ at the age of 38 or older? Kareem, MJ, and Kobe all didn't... 

Tabe there’s at least 2, and one of them is MJ:

The oldest player to drop 50 or more points in an NBA game is Jamal Crawford. The guard at the age of 39 dropped 51 points, 5 assists, and 5 rebounds while shooting nearly 54% from beyond the arc in a loss against the Dallas Mavericks.

On December 29th, 2001, Michael Jordan dropped 51 points, grabbed 7 rebounds and dished out 4 assists while shooting over 55% from the field at the age of 38 as the Washington Wizards beat the Charlotte Bobcats, which later became the Charlotte Hornets. He finished his first season with Wizards averaging 22.9 points, 5.7 rebounds and 5.2 assists while shooting over 41% from the field.

I would'n't have expected LeBron to average 28.5 in his 20th season at age 37/38. Admittedly, his average is inflated because of Anthony Davis' constant injuries, but nevertheless, those are incredible numbers for LeBron's age. John Havlicek once said he wasn't completely surprised that Wilt scored 100 since every scorer has a night where they double their average. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that LeBron scores 50 this season, and who knows how much longer he continues to play at this high level of scoring? LeBron doesn't tend to put up big scores that often, but if the Lakers are close to the play-in spot and they don't have AD, who knows?

8 hours ago, LF2 said:

Tabe there’s at least 2, and one of them is MJ:

The oldest player to drop 50 or more points in an NBA game is Jamal Crawford. The guard at the age of 39 dropped 51 points, 5 assists, and 5 rebounds while shooting nearly 54% from beyond the arc in a loss against the Dallas Mavericks.

On December 29th, 2001, Michael Jordan dropped 51 points, grabbed 7 rebounds and dished out 4 assists while shooting over 55% from the field at the age of 38 as the Washington Wizards beat the Charlotte Bobcats, which later became the Charlotte Hornets. He finished his first season with Wizards averaging 22.9 points, 5.7 rebounds and 5.2 assists while shooting over 41% from the field.

Thanks! I missed the 51 from MJ when I looked at his game log. 

I remember Crawford game now that you mention it. As I recall, he holds the record for lowest scoring average in a season with a 50pt game. He played just one more game in the NBA after the 51, too. Weird. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

Thanks! I missed the 51 from MJ when I looked at his game log. 

I remember Crawford game now that you mention it. As I recall, he holds the record for lowest scoring average in a season with a 50pt game. He played just one more game in the NBA after the 51, too. Weird. 

I remember that damn Crawford game, because it was during Dirk's final home game. Nearly ruined the whole thing.

Mavs-Spurs tonight is the most drunk game I have seen all season. Luka consistently having to go nuclear to beat lottery teams isn't ideal.

Donovan Mitchell dropped 71 points as the Cavs beat the Bulls in OT

It is the most points a player had in a game since Kobe's 81

His is the 7th player to score 70 in a game

• Like 2

On 12/31/2022 at 2:54 PM, Brian Fowler said:

LeBron, btw, has already scored fifty more points this year than Kareem did in his twentieth season (though, to be fair, Kareem was several years older than James in year 20.)

My partner and I were talking about this the other day, and I was literally amazed that (at least) 5 of the best 10 players of all time put on Lakers uniforms (Lebron, Kobe, Wilt, Kareem, Magic).  And from career performances - not just as a Laker - Kobe might be... 4th? (I'm more inclined to set him at 5, but jesus)

And as I'm typing this, duh, Shaq. So maybe 5th or 6th is actually right?  

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Donovan Mitchell dropped 71 points as the Cavs beat the Bulls in OT

It is the most points a player had in a game since Kobe's 81

His is the 7th player to score 70 in a game

That was wild. Even crazier:

He also had 10 assists!!! That was far from one of the Kobe or the Booker games where it was just them jacking shots. I watched from the 4th quarter on and it was a case of a dude going supernova but all in the context of team basketball.

He pulled a Luka to tie the game up. He probably committed a lane violation but the Bulls completely failed at getting a body on him. 

He scored 13 in OT. He passed the ball off a bunch of times, too, and his teammates couldn’t score. One of the OT baskets was absolutely breathtaking - Cavs got the rebound and he took the outlet pass and just outran everyone for a layup like it was the first quarter. Unreal stamina.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

My partner and I were talking about this the other day, and I was literally amazed that (at least) 5 of the best 10 players of all time put on Lakers uniforms (Lebron, Kobe, Wilt, Kareem, Magic).  And from career performances - not just as a Laker - Kobe might be... 4th? (I'm more inclined to set him at 5, but jesus)

And as I'm typing this, duh, Shaq. So maybe 5th or 6th is actually right?  

I'd put Shaq above Kobe, personally. But it's always dangerous water online to wade into the "Kobe was overrated" discussion, especially after he died.

(By overrated, I mean he's somewhere around the fifteenth best player in NBA history, not "he sucked.")

I am positive in a previous thread here in the last year - this conversation happened

It might have been because some NBA HOF made a similar comment about how they thought Kobe wasn't a Top 5 Laker and obviously parts of the internet lost their minds

AH-HA! Google is my friend

So it wasn't a HOFer - it was just Jason Williams (the White Chocolate) one on the Players Choice podcast back in March

He then later backtracked in a giant Instagram post where he declared Kobe was the GOAT

• Thanks 1

Giannis dropped 55 Tuesday night.

It's the fourth fifty point performance in the NBA in five days. Also his third straight 40+, a stretch where he's dropping 47.6 and 17.3 boards. In the last fifty years, only Bob McAdoo and Moses Malone have put up those numbers for a three game stretch. He's third in the NBA in both ppg and rpg this season.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I’ve watched that a number of times and I still don’t see the pass.

Glad I'm not alone. I watched it at least 15 times and still don't see it. 

• Like 1