DVDVR Message Board

2022-23 NBA SEASON: 1st Half

RIPPA

On 11/9/2022 at 4:33 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Miami seems to be king in sports facilities named after horrific collapsing companies.

FTX is basically dead after Binance pulled out of the deal to buy them after doing this thing the kids are all raving about called "due diligence".

I really hope Pat took the money in cash.  But... It is Miami.

The Heat has severed relations with FTX and is dropping the FTX arena name.  

Pollo Tropical presents the Dwayne Wade Center For Basketball Excellence  it is then. 

11 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Crazy that it happened the same night Darius Garland became the sixth player in NBA history with 50-plus points, 10-plus 3-pointers and five-plus assists in a game. Scored 27 in the fourth. 

And they somehow lost.

Couple other stats about Embiid

Becomes only the 4th player since the merger to score at least 100 points across a back-to-back (Kobe, MJ and Bradley Beal are the other 3)

First player to outscore both teams by himself in a fourth quarter (26-21) since Tracy McGrady in 2006. (And 4th player in the last 25 years)

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 3:04 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Heat has severed relations with FTX and is dropping the FTX arena name.  

Pollo Tropical presents the Dwayne Wade Center For Basketball Excellence  it is then. 

Looks like the Lakers may also be hunting for a new naming partner after today.

1) I watched Embiid last night and was just numb as I had to honestly consider “Is that the single greatest regular season individual performance in my lifetime?”

On top of his offense, he was just all over the floor on defense. I forget how many blocks he had in the 4th, but it was a bunch and a few were pin downs on layups. Utah probably would have won that game unless Embiid did that.

The only other regular season game I can remember asking that question about was when Klay scored 30+ in a quarter. Shaq had a 60 when he was on the Lakers but that was before NBA League Pass. Hard pressed to think of others but LeBron had so many crazy box scores and Steph caught fire so many times that I am sure I am forgetting some of their nuts games. 

2) Glad the history of “companies no  one has any ides of what they actually do to make money making dubious stadium sponsorship deals and go bust" trend continues!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

1) I watched Embiid last night and was just numb as I had to honestly consider “Is that the single greatest regular season individual performance in my lifetime?”

On top of his offense, he was just all over the floor on defense. I forget how many blocks he had in the 4th, but it was a bunch and a few were pin downs on layups. Utah probably would have won that game unless Embiid did that.

The only other regular season game I can remember asking that question about was when Klay scored 30+ in a quarter. Shaq had a 60 when he was on the Lakers but that was before NBA League Pass. Hard pressed to think of others but LeBron had so many crazy box scores and Steph caught fire so many times that I am sure I am forgetting some of their nuts games. 

2) Glad the history of “companies no  one has any ides of what they actually do to make money making dubious stadium sponsorship deals and go bust" trend continues!

Five of his seven blocks were in the fourth.

It's definitely an all time performance.

The Nets are at the "leaking stories to the Athletic" stage of being sick of Ben Simmons' shit and KD is calling out teammates by name as not being championship material so it turns out getting Kyrie away from the team didn't make them any less dramatic.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

The Nets are at the "leaking stories to the Athletic" stage of being sick of Ben Simmons' shit and KD is calling out teammates by name as not being championship material so it turns out getting Kyrie away from the team didn't make them any less dramatic.

Somebody should remind KD he’s only been championship material while playing for the Warriors. I know he’s had other great seasons, but he’s never been one to carry a team without 2-3 all stars backing him.

• Like 1

I watched a bit of that disaster against the Kings last night, and it is striking how little the Kings cared about anyone other than KD on defense. He would catch the ball and not only the immediate double team would come, but the other three defenders would all instantly hedge towards him as well. It was just such a clear "we know none of these other yahoos can beat us even if we give them wide open jumpers"

22 hours ago, LF2 said:

Somebody should remind KD he’s only been championship material while playing for the Warriors. I know he’s had other great seasons, but he’s never been one to carry a team without 2-3 all stars backing him.

Meaning, he's championship material...

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Meaning, he's championship material...

In that instance yes. Without all that help he’s not. He’s never going to be in the Hakeem Olajuwon or Dirk Nowitzki category no matter how badly he craves that kind of love. Both of those guys carried much lesser players to rings. They didn’t need Steph, Klay, and Draymond to support them.

• Like 1

Unrelated: The Lakers are at least starting to look competent now, and with Lebron out. Russ has been much better for them off the bench, AD is starting to look more like the superstar he's supposed to be, and they're team shooting is progressing towards the mean after a historically awful start.

They still aren't a contender or anything, but they're going to be a tougher out if this continues.

The Nets are the biggest clown car of a NBA franchise. Ben Simmons and Kyrie shooshing the crowd and getting into it with Niang while en route to getting run out the gym by the Delaware Blue Coats and after the game the team just shrugging it off like another game. 

Making the Sixers look like a tough team is something else.