DVDVR Message Board

NXT Halloween Havoc XV - 10/22/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Oh damn, a full on Premium Event for NXT!   

Live this Saturday from the WWE PC!  (Wonder when they're gonna go back on the road like the before times....)

THE CARD~

TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - Bron Breakker (c) vs. Ilja Dragunov vs. JD McDonagh

FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Mandy Rose (c) vs. Alba Fyre

LADDER MATCH FOR THE VACANT NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP - Carmelo Hayes vs. Oro Mensah vs. Wes Lee vs. Von Wagner vs. Nathan Frazer

AMBULANCE MATCH * - Julius Creed vs. Damon Kemp

SPIN THE WHEEL, MAKE THE DEAL! - Apollo Crews vs. Grayson Waller

SPIN THE WHEEL, MAKE THE DEAL! (WEAPONS WILD~!) - Roxanne Perez vs. Cora Jade

--

* - If Damon Kemp wins, Brutus Creed must leave NXT. 

The ladder match was the fun clusterfuck you generally hope for with everyone getting a standout moment or two. Thought Frazer and Wafner particularly stood out. That toss into the table by Wagner was insane and kudos for Lee taking it.

Crews/Waller was decent fun with a few standout moments like the bump through the first casket and Waller being a dick with the Taker taunts.

Cora/Roxanne was a decent plunder match. I tend to prefer stiffness though with the two trying to murder each other when it comes to matches with hatred involved. Never quite felt like we hit that level here though I thought the callack to their match with Roxanne hesitating for a moment was nice. Dug the finish a good bit as well as a character moment.

Julius/Kemp was more satisfying as a hatred match. The two just beat the shit out of each other with whatever they could along with Julius tossing Kemp around on the outside with suplexes. Wasn;t great, but good stuff overall.

The Haunted House stuff was dumb fun, especially with the specific personalities of each Toxic Attraction member coming into play. The eventual title match between Alba and Mandy was perfectly solid. 

As much as I would have rather seen Ilja vs. Bron I have to admit the triple threat was pretty damn great. Tons of great action and character bits involved. There was even a moment or two I thought Ilja might actually win. Did feel weird that Theory never came into play. It makes the tease on Tuesday all the befuddling. 

Thought this was solid-good show. A few matches felt like they could have been more, but everything was at least decent with the ladder match and 3-way really standing out as good-great.

The wrestling on the show was really solid, but the presentation just felt so stretched out, even more so than usual (I didn't feel that way about the last NXT PLE). A lot of fluff between matches, slowly developing segments (like the double caskets), etc.  The action bell to bell I thought was good and I enjoyed the show, but it felt like they could have trimmed 30 minutes without an effort.

The Haunted House brawl was the absolute best thing. Everyone involved killed it. Super fun cinematic match style. The actual match later on was kind of disappointingly short after all that amazing build. I love Alba Fyre, one of my all time favorites, but Mandy has gotten so good that I'm cool with her reigning for as long as possible, especially now that she's beaten both by other top picks in Zoey and Alba.

Ladder match was fun. Even though I hated the whole nonsensical deal of Solo winning the title, defending it on SD, just to get stripped of it in a week to set this up. The lights out bit in Apollo/Grayson felt like a wasted opportunity for more Halloween hijinx as nothing really happened. Expected the druids to come in to play or a callback to the eye for an eye aspect of their feud or something.

Good main event. Figured there was no way Bron was losing the title in another triple threat again after the last time. Been looking forward to the upcoming women's tag title match for awhile. 

I liked this show despite not really watching NXT lately so I know the minimum on story's and such. The matches were all right. The ladder match was the usual chaotic mess that NXT Ladder matches tend to be. I was amused at the crowd being solidly against Von Wagner. He was so out of place in that match but he held his own.

The Haunted House thing was hilarious especially with them constantly attacking the performers in the house.

Crews/Waller was all right. I didn't understand the point of the fake casket just for the bump off the top rope. If they brought out the real one from the start it would have been perfectly fine.

I liked Julius/Kemp. I thought it was a good brawl. Probably would have been better as a stretcher match rather than an ambulance match, but it worked.

Cora/Roxanne was good. Nice use of the plunder in the match. I thought the spot off the top of the stage was dumb though especially since they almost missed the tables and only went through one.

Mandy/Fyre was all right for what it was. I was surprised Mandy won again. That running knee of her's is very good.

The triple threat was excellent. I wanted Dragonov to win, but I knew it wouldn't happen. Bron is so good. I really hope we get a proper singles match between just them two. JD stopping the ref from counting the three was a brilliant spot.

Overall not a bad show.

Mostly agree with Dave and Alvarez.  Main was very good and saved the show, imo.  I thought the Creed-Kemp match was decent enough, as was the ladder match.  I do wonder if they’re just treading water with this feud until Strong is healthy.  Definitely feels like the it was supposed to be Strong and Kemp feuding with the Creeds and Dave even expected Strong to jump out of the back of the ambulance and cost Creed the match.  

Middle of the card was skippable. Didn’t like either women’s match. Jade-Perez had too many weapons spots and some of stuff looked bad.   Not sure why Perez decided to jump off the platform with Cora for no obvious reason.  

Nothing Mandy does works for me.  

• Like 1